CAGcast #267: We Hope They Serve Pancakes In Hell

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#121 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

Sensitivity? Caring about a group of people's rights is calling being sensitive and a little bitch too now, right?
He by himself doesn't have the power to deny anyone anything, but he has millions of like minded people. People that take their beliefs against gays even further too.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#122 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

Wombat - please don't comment at all on this on the CAGCast - keep the discussion to games and not this political stuff. CAG can't take another week of people actually commenting in the show feedback thread.

The old bridge used to be called the new bridge.

card.png

#123 serenitygod

serenitygod

on the brink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

Great Job Wombat! I mean I know your idealism is unobtainable, but what really gets me is this, you recommended Hunger games.

That's it Wombat you need a timeout.
Spoiler

Posted Image

[IMG]http://http://www.doggiestylish.com/store/images/wordpress/uploads/2010/08/duck_dog_mask.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/164888.png[/IMG]

#124 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

I am trying to avoid commenting in the thread and save my thoughts for the show, but that is completely twisting my words and not at all what I was saying. I know nothing I say will convince you otherwise, but you are wrong, please don't put words in my mouth.

You can plug your ears and go "la la la la la la la la" all you want when you hear it, but I am sure you already knew the differences between the religions.

So unless you are going to go on a battle against the entire Christian faith (whom you said you have no issues with) then it is silly to boycott CBS. According to you, all Christians are telling you to go to hell regardless of whether they cite a random Bible verse in a commercial or not.

But again, you said you don't have a problem with Christians, but CBS making known to you something you already knew? those bastards!

#125 Cheese

Cheese

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

While FotF (assholes) are certainly allowed to say whatever they want, decorum dictates there is a time and place for everything. "If you don't believe in my narrow interpretation of a much-edited, bronze-age, skygod belief system, you will burn in eternal hellfire," is an argument best left off NFL broadcasts. Wombat is correct.
www.houseoftwelve.com

#126 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

When Cheapy said his "Vita makes itself unavailable for a day at a time". I'd have said, "Oh, you mean like your wife?" I thought Wombat was going to say it.

#127 polly

polly

Karma Policeman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

If everyone was to boycott every network that aired an ad they found annoying/offensive/stupid/distasteful nobody would ever watch or listen to anything. It's totally okay to not like the FotF organization and still watch a CBS football game or sitcom. I mean, I guess if it makes you feel better to boycott CBS, go for it, but I would think there are other more effective ways to protest FotF. And personally, as an atheist I couldn't care less if someone thinks I'll burn in hell.

#128 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

When Cheapy said his "Vita makes itself unavailable for a day at a time". I'd have said, "Oh, you mean like your wife?" I thought Wombat was going to say it.

I was shocked Wombat didn't make that joke. I think all this political protesting has left him rattled and off his game. But I'm sure he'll get his mojo back soon.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#129 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

the chatter between religion and PC gaming on TV is quite something.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#130 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

homophobe- a person who fears or hates homosexuals and homosexuality.

I would fall under neither of these categories.

I need a new signature.

#131 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:13 AM

I was so scared when you mentioned Boondock Saints that you were going to say something positive about it. It felt so nice to hear you say what a crappy movie it was. It truly brought a smile to my face. Thank you for saying that. That movie is so crappy, it blows my mind people think it's good.
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#132 Splatoon

Splatoon

CAGiversaurus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:47 AM

homophobe- a person who fears or hates homosexuals and homosexuality.

I would fall under neither of these categories.

As they say, the Nile isn't just a river in Egypt. Hope your rights never get trampled on, be tough getting upset at people who clearly hold no ill will toward you. If you can't see the hypocrisy in denying someone's right to marriage while claiming no animosity towards them, I honestly don't know what to say other than I feel bad for all the homosexuals who have to overcome your backwards attitude to get fair treatment.

Comics of all shapes and sizes! Mainly rectangles. Max and Ronnie Do Comics.

#133 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

While FotF (assholes) are certainly allowed to say whatever they want, decorum dictates there is a time and place for everything. "If you don't believe in my narrow interpretation of a much-edited, bronze-age, skygod belief system, you will burn in eternal hellfire," is an argument best left off NFL broadcasts. Wombat is correct.

To be fair the verse was not meant to highlight any of the views you are criticizing FotF for, it actually highlighted that God loves EVERYONE, and ANYONE. It said it twice. You can argue all you want about their true motives but the commercial certainly did not have evil homophobic spreading intent.

As for the time and place BS, half of the commercials during football games are about stuff you don't care about. Just ignore the religion one just like you ignore the dodge caravan one.

#134 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

if Wombat had just watched the Storage Wars Marathon instead of football we could have avoided this! jk

I am equally annoyed by any religious commercial, especially the I'm a Mormon ones. I change the channel as soon as any of that stuff shows up.
[URL="http://exophase.com/gamercards/"]Posted Image[/URL]

#135 BWQ3A

BWQ3A

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

I didn't really like Wombat prior to this week's podcast and would usually tune him out...now, I very much despise him. How about keeping the podcast on track Cheapy? It seems like you let Wombat get sidetracked way too much. I really don't care to hear what his "thoughts" are. A few more Podcasts like that & I'm not going to be listening anymore.

Also, way to stick up for what you believe in Shipwreck.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#136 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

What religion is Shipwreck? Skyrimist?

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#137 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

maybe worships Talos?
[URL="http://exophase.com/gamercards/"]Posted Image[/URL]

#138 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

I also don't really buy the NFL as that "family friendly" ( a few pink NFL jerseys and the Play 60 campaign doesn't change years of profanity and drunkenness) You guys are acting like it is the Disney Channel or Sprout TV.

#139 Sinfulfate

Sinfulfate

The Podfather

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

Listening to you guys talk about Dead Island really makes me want to pick it up. I just finished Dead Rising 2: Off the Record and been wanting another zombie fix.

Cheapy you should really check out Dead Rising 2 Off the record. I know you picked up Dead Rising 2 and had problems with the lack of checkpoints and time constraint. Off the record fixes both of those issues with the sandbox mode and they added checkpoints every time you zone so you longer need to save all the time.

#140 alphabrian

alphabrian

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

I am Catholic and I love the Cagcast! haha jk

Honestly though, Wombat is a part of this show, and has the right to express his thoughts. People getting mad for him doing so should follow the advice they give to Wombat and just go ahead and stop listening to the Cagcast.

#141 Big_Pick_Zel

Big_Pick_Zel

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:51 AM

On the subject of buying American to save American jobs: This is a noble idea that unfortunately doesn't translate from idea to reality. Businesses desire efficiency as efficiency usually leads to increased profitability. If it's more efficient to ship a job to a country where labor is less expensive, such as China, then that's what will happen. On the surface this seems like a terrible thing, but that's because generally people only look at one side of it, oddly, which is the side of the "greedy" CEOs who are looking for nothing but profit. Well, I suppose they are, but are they the only ones who benefit from the outsourcing? In the show itself, the question was answered: the Xbox costs around $100 less being manufactured abroad than it would were it made here in the US. So consumers benefit by saving $100. Given there are many more Xbox consumers than people making Xboxes, the benefit to consumers is much larger than the hypothetical benefit to a hypothetical manufacturing sector based purely on the number of people who consume vs. the number who create. On the subject of deplorable work conditions in Chinese factories, there's really no excusing that. But in many third-world countries, what we consider "sweat shops" the locals consider "better than starving in a barren field." And shockingly most places that employ child labor look, to the children, much better than the alternatives, which are often begging or prostitution. It would be great if everyone in the world were subjected to the same conditions as we are used to, but in many cases when we approach these situations from the point of view of "American living in America," we don't see the alternatives to what we perceive as abhorrent are actually the lesser of two evils by an incredible margin.

Edited by Big_Pick_Zel, 22 January 2012 - 12:55 AM.
derped it up with a typo

#142 polly

polly

Karma Policeman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:12 AM

Regarding Kingdoms of Amalur...I just finished playing the demo, and now firmly believe this game will bomb.
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

#143 ColossusVerbatum

ColossusVerbatum

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

Yeah!!! You are gonna be SUPER CheapyD now with all those steam sales and Amazon deals to take advantage of!!! Also with the wireless HDMI it seems it might have some kind of lag issue I'd watch out for.

#144 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

Regarding Kingdoms of Amalur...I just finished playing the demo, and now firmly believe this game will bomb.

Yeah, I tried the demo. From the archery to looting and character creation, game feels like a simplified Skyrim. And it's the comparisons to Skyrim that will cause it the most harm. The one area where it works better than Skyrim is the defensive combat. I dig the evasive roll, even if it launches you across the screen.

Cute game, tho. I definitely see its appeal. It's just not for me (especially when I still have interest in Skyrim).

#145 dc307

dc307

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

#146 dc307

dc307

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

I haven't really payed much attention to the forums until I started listening to CAGcast podcasts lately but- keep up the great banter, answers to the meaning of life, gaming nerd / random stoner ramble train of thoughts production style goodness that makes working the nightshift bearable. ****

#147 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

I've been meaning to say this for a while but over the last 3 episodes Shipwreck is becoming strong with the force (and by "force" i mean "voice of the people") I think this year if we have a Cheapy Award for "Voice of the People" Shipwreck could bring some competition to Wombat. P.S. Good show chaps

Controversy Sells
===============
I think the nature of any religion is that they disagree* with other religions. That's why they're different religions and not the same religion.

While I can perfectly understand anyone's dislike of the group I think, like Shipwreck's initial response, that I don't think that particular verse should be received as offensive. That particular verse is more "advertising for Christians" than it is "condemnation of other religions"**. That would be like saying declaring as a Democrat is condemnation of Republicans.

That said if you want to take the verse and combine it with the group and come up with that interpretation as the intent of the commercial that's one thing (and I'd probably still disagree) but the verse itself is among (in my opinion) the more passive of verses.

* disagreement not equal to hate
** and there has got to be room in the spectrum of reasonable discussion for those two things to be different

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#148 MattZack

MattZack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Wombat, John 3:16 is not Mark 16:16.
Posted Image

#149 serenitygod

serenitygod

on the brink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

On the subject of buying American to save American jobs: This is a noble idea that unfortunately doesn't translate from idea to reality. Businesses desire efficiency as efficiency usually leads to increased profitability. If it's more efficient to ship a job to a country where labor is less expensive, such as China, then that's what will happen. On the surface this seems like a terrible thing, but that's because generally people only look at one side of it, oddly, which is the side of the "greedy" CEOs who are looking for nothing but profit. Well, I suppose they are, but are they the only ones who benefit from the outsourcing? In the show itself, the question was answered: the Xbox costs around $100 less being manufactured abroad than it would were it made here in the US. So consumers benefit by saving $100. Given there are many more Xbox consumers than people making Xboxes, the benefit to consumers is much larger than the hypothetical benefit to a hypothetical manufacturing sector based purely on the number of people who consume vs. the number who create. On the subject of deplorable work conditions in Chinese factories, there's really no excusing that. But in many third-world countries, what we consider "sweat shops" the locals consider "better than starving in a barren field." And shockingly most places that employ child labor look, to the children, much better than the alternatives, which are often begging or prostitution. It would be great if everyone in the world were subjected to the same conditions as we are used to, but in many cases when we approach these situations from the point of view of "American living in America," we don't see the alternatives to what we perceive as abhorrent are actually the lesser of two evils by an incredible margin.

Yeah, but the question is who cares? Are you really into world peace? Are you going to go to China and save children there?

I challenge you to read "The Upcoming China Wars" or "Death By China"
then try to re-make that same argument. Currency manipulation and death by Chinese products like dry-wall. I fear it is you who doesn't see all sides of the argument. Wait until you coat your house with lead-based paint or swallow boric acid thinking it's Ativan. You really need to ask yourself are you willing to die for a few dollars?

I know that may sound harsh, but what do you think freedom of trade really means? China is supplying about 98% of our goods. This is perfectly imbalanced. In order to export any goods the manufacturer must by stocks fulfilled by the Chinese govt and kept in American businesses. The government supplements these bonds so much that the govt itself would become bankrupt if so many new businesses weren't supplying money everyday for them to re-use. This means China owns most of our buisnesses and those nasty CEO's and also our governemnt itself is a slave to Chinese demands. What happens when China says we will pull our money out of American buisnesses and cause a depression? The president says oh PLZ! PLZ! keep invested here we cannot upset you! Obama even ran part of his campaign on standing up to China and he has universally failed. He is not the one who started it though so he shouldn't be a scapegoat.

Like I said, read the books that have been thoroughly researched and make that same argument again.
Posted Image

[IMG]http://http://www.doggiestylish.com/store/images/wordpress/uploads/2010/08/duck_dog_mask.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/164888.png[/IMG]

#150 John

John

Illusive Programmer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Also with the wireless HDMI it seems it might have some kind of lag issue I'd watch out for.

< 1ms lag, according to the spec sheet. (And I haven't noticed any.)