Photo
- - - - -

New PS2 Slims Converted to Used (GS 39.99)

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

#331 jdawgg76

jdawgg76

RIP Stan the Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

Overall thoughts to the PS2 with component cables? Since my 60GB PS3 gave up the ghost awhile ago, a library of PS2 games is sitting idle. I hooked up my old fat PS2 to my HDTV and it looks atrocious (I miss the upscaling from the PS3...ugh). Is it worth picking up a cable on the cheap, or should I just wait to emulate?

Component will look better for sure, but I think my games look better running on the PS3 and being upscaled. Certain games with attempts at detailed graphics like SOCOM's bushes you need to crawl through while being stealthy will look rough.
Posted Image
Waiting for: WRC 2010 and WRC 2 and WRC 3:cry:
Now playing:
:360: Forza Horizon, Halo Series
:wii: Collecting Dust
:ps3: Collecting Dust
:pc: Diablo 3, Walking Dead
When I'm not watching Grimm and Firefly on Hulu.

#332 m6oo

m6oo

Bicycle Repair Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

Overall thoughts to the PS2 with component cables? Since my 60GB PS3 gave up the ghost awhile ago, a library of PS2 games is sitting idle. I hooked up my old fat PS2 to my HDTV and it looks atrocious (I miss the upscaling from the PS3...ugh). Is it worth picking up a cable on the cheap, or should I just wait to emulate?

Like others have said, get a component cable. The look really varies by game. Here is some good information as to the HD support in various PS2 games.

http://en.wikipedia....with_HD_support

Don't overlook turning on progressive scan mode (in games that support it) by holding down the (triangle) and (X) buttons when the Playstation logo appears. Also don't forget to check the games video options for things like widescreen etc.

#333 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

Component will look better for sure, but I think my games look better running on the PS3 and being upscaled. Certain games with attempts at detailed graphics like SOCOM's bushes you need to crawl through while being stealthy will look rough.

Certain modern games(GTA IV/Episodes) have some facets that already look rough when viewed from certain angles in the game. Case in point: trees in the GTA games. You can clearly see how they created them and they look very 'flat' while in midair in a helicopter.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#334 JYabbz

JYabbz

LFT.HVY.TK.MLTI.URDA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:14 AM

Called maybe 20 Gamestops but was able to pick up a new sealed PS2 Slim for $39.99 plus tax 8-) as my old PS2 slim's laser was acting up and too expensive to fix. If anyone has DIY tips to fix the laser I would appreciate it. I might pick another PS2 Slim up for shitz n giggles.
Posted Image

#335 JYabbz

JYabbz

LFT.HVY.TK.MLTI.URDA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

Is it worth picking up another PS2 Slim as I bought a new one yesterday? I just don't want the laser to crap out on me again and have to replace it plus the PS3 isn't backwards compatible. Also anyone have tips to prevent overheating? Called a couple stores that still have some sealed but no luck finding the white or silver slims. If anyone has a silver/white ps2 slim sealed and looking to trade or if anyone wants one, let me know, and maybe we can work something out. But the majority of the stores I called stated that they hadn't had one in years :roll:.
Posted Image

#336 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Is it worth picking up another PS2 Slim as I bought a new one yesterday? I just don't want the laser to crap out on me again and have to replace it plus the PS3 isn't backwards compatible. Also anyone have tips to prevent overheating? Called a couple stores that still have some sealed but no luck finding the white or silver slims. If anyone has a silver/white ps2 slim sealed and looking to trade or if anyone wants one, let me know, and maybe we can work something out. But the majority of the stores I called stated that they hadn't had one in years :roll:.

U got a "new" PS2 at Gamestop? (in PS2 box)

It's worth it if u have large collection and you can use it as a DVD player.
(DVD Players new at store is $30-$40)

#337 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Overheating? On the PS2 slim? I've never heard of that issue before, but I have heard of people causing damage to their games by snapping/popping the games on and off the spindle in the system too quickly or too hard.

My one buddy and I played a marathon gaming session the one night on his slim PS2(10+ hours) and while the system did get warm/very warm it didn't even suffer a single graphical hiccup.

Now on the other hand if you're playing games that have a lot of videos and do a lot of streaming from the disc then I might see how it could possibly overheat. But the slims seem to be very well built machines by comparison to their fat model brethren.

Posted Image

#338 JYabbz

JYabbz

LFT.HVY.TK.MLTI.URDA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

U got a "new" PS2 at Gamestop? (in PS2 box)

It's worth it if u have large collection and you can use it as a DVD player.
(DVD Players new at store is $30-$40)

Yes I got a NEW PS2 SLIM @ GAMESTOP (IN PS2 BOX) = SEALED. I was wondering if it was worth getting another one as a backup just in case the new one breaks in the future and my PS3 is not backwards compatible.
Posted Image

#339 JYabbz

JYabbz

LFT.HVY.TK.MLTI.URDA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Overheating? On the PS2 slim? I've never heard of that issue before, but I have heard of people causing damage to their games by snapping/popping the games on and off the spindle in the system too quickly or too hard.

My one buddy and I played a marathon gaming session the one night on his slim PS2(10+ hours) and while the system did get warm/very warm it didn't even suffer a single graphical hiccup.

Now on the other hand if you're playing games that have a lot of videos and do a lot of streaming from the disc then I might see how it could possibly overheat. But the slims seem to be very well built machines by comparison to their fat model brethren.

Must have been some issue on the used PS2 slim I bought last year, it would overheat after playing an hour. Probably causing the destruction of my laser/lens, leading it to DRE
Posted Image

#340 pudge343

pudge343

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:49 AM

I saw on the GS site there's two slim models:

PS2 Complete

PS2 Redesign

Does it matter which one?

#341 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:16 AM

The complete is most likely the NEW transferred to used systems. Look at the stickers on the box too.

#342 JYabbz

JYabbz

LFT.HVY.TK.MLTI.URDA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

The complete is most likely the NEW transferred to used systems. Look at the stickers on the box too.

on my receipt it says complete, so take it with a grain of salt
Posted Image

#343 pudge343

pudge343

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:24 AM

Ok thanks...I was mainly looking to buy this for SOCOM II or Combined Assault but I don't know if it's worth buying since the game is almost 9 years old, as well as the Code 9 glitch.

#344 sidewalkhustla

sidewalkhustla

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for this. One of the stores in my town had 1 left. 90001 series receipt says complete

Edited by sidewalkhustla, 26 February 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#345 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

I saw on the GS site there's two slim models:

PS2 Complete

PS2 Redesign

Does it matter which one?

Hmmmm. Every one of my local GS stores has the "Complete" listed as in stock(but limited quantities), including the one that just opened down the road from me. Dare I take a chance their DM is in the store to try and grab one with my soon to expire PUR card?;)

Posted Image

#346 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

I don't want to promote modding, but the 900001 is much better than the other slim model due to how easy it is to set up with swap discs. All you need to do is jam two pieces of tissue into a couple slots. Great if you are an import gamer.

#347 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hmmmm. Every one of my local GS stores has the "Complete" listed as in stock(but limited quantities), including the one that just opened down the road from me. Dare I take a chance their DM is in the store to try and grab one with my soon to expire PUR card?;)

haha do it! because i would love to hear the story of the experience, good or bad.

#348 RussellC

RussellC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

I called one of many GS stores around here. I was told one is a refurb and the other is a trade in.

#349 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:56 AM

haha do it! because i would love to hear the story of the experience, good or bad.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#350 PrinnyOtaku

PrinnyOtaku

二人の秘密の基地

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

If anyone can still get their hands own another new PS2 Slim, let me know.

$90 in GameStop credit if someone can pick one up for me. Every store near me is sold out, some even of pre-owned systems :/

Defynorz.pngPringerOtaku.png
Add me on PSN for co-op or anything

League of Legends: Defyn

#351 JYabbz

JYabbz

LFT.HVY.TK.MLTI.URDA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:37 AM

If anyone can still get their hands own another new PS2 Slim, let me know.

$90 in GameStop credit if someone can pick one up for me. Every store near me is sold out, some even of pre-owned systems :/

PM'd u
Posted Image

#352 JYabbz

JYabbz

LFT.HVY.TK.MLTI.URDA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

Picked up the White Singstar bundle at my local gamestop and they still have 3 of the charcoal slims availble new.
Posted Image

#353 paintball745

paintball745

PHD in deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

I just picked mine up it still had the clear plastic film on the "shiny part". Now all I need is a memory card it seems I have lost mine to time.

#354 pudge343

pudge343

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:45 AM

How can you tell if it's new? I guess I could ask the local Gamestop but I don't really trust them and I've had the Phat one for years so I've never owned a Slim.

I just picked mine up it still had the clear plastic film on the "shiny part".

Ah, nevermind then.

#355 JYabbz

JYabbz

LFT.HVY.TK.MLTI.URDA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:44 AM

How can you tell if it's new? I guess I could ask the local Gamestop but I don't really trust them and I've had the Phat one for years so I've never owned a Slim.

Ah, nevermind then.

For the charcoal slim it should have a white seal of tape.
Posted Image

#356 DarkPGR

DarkPGR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:47 AM

No luck for me. Both stores I visited told me they only had trade-ins left.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#357 Monoxide1986

Monoxide1986

Recovering Flipper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

Would it be a better deal to get one of these (if I can find one) at a gamestop, or the 24.95 one I saw at a Goodwill?

#358 JYabbz

JYabbz

LFT.HVY.TK.MLTI.URDA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:24 AM

Would it be a better deal to get one of these (if I can find one) at a gamestop, or the 24.95 one I saw at a Goodwill?

I'm not 100% sure but I thought that there absolutely no exchanges or refunds on anything at Goodwill/Salvation Army. As everything is sold as-is. But then again I'm not 100% sure what their policies are.
Posted Image

#359 lockey

lockey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

Just bought something a few weeks from Goodwill. Thought about returning the item when I got home. Read receipt all sales final.

#360 PrinnyOtaku

PrinnyOtaku

二人の秘密の基地

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

If anyone knows their local GameStop still has new PS2s in-stock, I'll toss you a $25 GS gift card in the mail if you PM me the store location.

Defynorz.pngPringerOtaku.png
Add me on PSN for co-op or anything

League of Legends: Defyn