Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360/PS3) $44.99 at Toys R Us

I want this for 360 as well, but I played the demo and I really liked it. $30 is my price point, but if I could get it for $45 on release I probably would.

Anyone that's on the fence because of the extremely buggy demo, most of those problems are fixed in the final build. IIRC, the demo is a three month old build.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I want this for 360 as well, but I played the demo and I really liked it. $30 is my price point, but if I could get it for $45 on release I probably would.[/QUOTE]
EDIT: I still can't pull the trigger. Maybe if Amazon matches...

I have a feeling this will drop in price quickly. Pretty tempting to bite, especially when combined with the Google Offers coupon.

[quote name='mac101010']I have a feeling this will drop in price quickly. Pretty tempting to bite, especially when combined with the Google Offers coupon.[/QUOTE]

I think a fairly quick price drop will happen. With Final Fantasy XIII-2, Reckoning, Mass Effect 3, and Tales of Graces F all hitting in a 2-month period, I figure at least a couple of these will be $30 by June, and most CAGs (myself included) seem to have an adequate backlog of games to play through in the meantime.

I'm not infested in this game really, it just looks like fable with a slightly different art style. But all those people bitching about how we need new IP's better put their money where their mouth is and buy this at launch.

[quote name='KtMack23']I'm not infested in this game really, it just looks like fable with a slightly different art style. But all those people bitching about how we need new IP's better put their money where their mouth is and buy this at launch.[/QUOTE]

if anything its most like Dragon Age minus extra companions.play the demo.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']if anything its most like Dragon Age minus extra companions.play the demo.[/QUOTE]

I played the demo, but I've never played DA so I wouldn't know lol

[quote name='KtMack23']I played the demo, but I've never played DA so I wouldn't know lol[/QUOTE]

you make a topic on this deal saying you'd like it for the 360. Then after someone says it's for both ps3 and 360 you say you have no interest in the game. Lol .

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']you make a topic on this deal saying you'd like it for the 360. Then after someone says it's for both ps3 and 360 you say you have no interest in the game. Lol .[/QUOTE]

Ya I wasn't saying I need it for 360. I just know a lot of other CAGs want it on 360

People can be so misleading. The Demo for ps3 had lots of bugs. Once you make it far enough the music and sound completely cuts out for 2-3 minutes at a time, characters dialog is missing, the ground completely disappeared on me. Other than that the game is amazing and really fun, the full release will fix all this I'm sure. As far as someone saying this is like dragon age, it is nothing like that game aside from there being quests and items. The combat is MUCH better, and totally different than DA. It's more of a much deeper and better version of Fable.

Not bad, I already have a pre-order set up with Newegg when they discounted it to 47.99. I'll stick with Newegg since I think it'll ship sooner than TRU.

[quote name='DaShaka']People can be so misleading. The Demo for ps3 had lots of bugs. Once you make it far enough the music and sound completely cuts out for 2-3 minutes at a time, characters dialog is missing, the ground completely disappeared on me. Other than that the game is amazing and really fun, the full release will fix all this I'm sure. As far as someone saying this is like dragon age, it is nothing like that game aside from there being quests and items. The combat is MUCH better, and totally different than DA. It's more of a much deeper and better version of Fable.[/QUOTE]

the equipment settings are identical, as is the item wheel, and button layout. The visuals are also pretty much the same. It also has a very similar leveling system. And yes the quests layout is also the same. There's also looting corpses, breaking objects, and mining items from plants just like Dragon Age 2. I agree the combat is much better, but even then I find the combat more like Dragon Age 2 then Fable 2 or 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a precedent for Amazon matching these preorder deals? And is this usually a limited time thing like at Newegg? Or could I potentially wait till the week of release and still get the cheaper price? I'm pretty tempted to go for this and SSX, but it would be off putting if they take the money out now (as was mentioned above). Even if it is set aside, it means I can't use it..

I can see the comparison with Dragon Age, but honestly it felt more like Fable to me. A MUCH better Fable. I played Dragon Age Origins and 2 as well Fable 2 and 3 (and beat all 4 of them). I do admit the skill tree is more like Dragon Age, but the art style and world really remind me of Fable. What really hooked me in the demo was the great gameplay and plethora of quests.

Submitting the price to Amazon won't do anything. I don't recall them EVER matching one of these preorder prices from TRU or Newegg.

I went ahead and picked this up for PS3. I used my google offers since I hardly ever shop at TRU.

Thx OP

[quote name='TraBuch']Submitting the price to Amazon won't do anything. I don't recall them EVER matching one of these preorder prices from TRU or Newegg.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. They price matched the TRU pre order price for Alice: The Madness Returns.

[quote name='Dysheekie']I want this game, but with the backlog (mostly due to Skyrim) I think I can hold out for $35-40 later on.[/QUOTE]

Same here, although for some reason I dont want to finish Skyrim before I play Amalur. I like to play new games for a day or two then put them back into my backlog with a better idea of what I will play next. Mb I'll rent this game instead.

[quote name='TraBuch']Submitting the price to Amazon won't do anything. I don't recall them EVER matching one of these preorder prices from TRU or Newegg.[/QUOTE]

I actually got really lucky with them. Amazon price matched my copy of Madden 12 to $44.99 with the credit. I sold the copy I won to my dad so Madden was free. I used the free $20 credit to purchase my new processor for my desktop. I don't pre-order games anymore because I'm really really cheap at the moment.

I played the demo of the game and thought it was a interesting mixture of gameplay with a bit more emphasis on combat but still with a good deal of types of quests, item crafting and choices you'd expect from a deep RPG.

I think I'll be playing the game on the PC though for the graphical upside but that's not a bad price for a day one purchase for what seems to be a good game.

It's more similar to WoW than Dragon Age. The skill trees are pretty much taken right out of WoW and are much more complex than Dragon Age's skill trees. The combat is much better than both DA and WoW though IMO. Both Dragon Age and WoW have this auto-attacking that I really can't stand in games (actually DA: O combat is very very similar to WoW in many ways except you're in control of an entire party obviously). The item stats are more WoW-esque, same with the mini-map design. It's really the parts of WoW I really like that it is similar to and leaves out the boring combat and the total lack of an overarching story from WoW. The combat is more like Fable but still a lot better (at least compared to Fable 2).

The art design looks like Fable and a little bit of WoW. Honestly I really liked the demo, found it very addicting (and that's saying a lot as nearly every demo I play is just OK to me), the one thing I have questions about is the story, as the main story in the demo did not interest me very much (ugh demon monster things invading, I've been through that over and over again in many games). I'm not buying at launch though, too many games still unplayed.

Great launch price. The demo was great. Only bugs I encountered were the music stopping in the last 20 min of the demo and I went to back stab a creature causing the game to freeze. I just wish it had a co-op drop in element. Developers always give this lame excuse nowadays that they can't add co-op to their RPG because it takes away from their story. Nah, they're too lazy to add it. Co-op doesn't take away from the story and if someone is so focused on the story they can play the campaign alone. I'm probably going to have to wait for Diablo 3 for a good co-op dungeon crawler that isn't a MMO, but this will probably be an enjoyable game till then.

Does anyone know what Toys R Us shipping is like for preorders, i.e. how soon after release day does the game arrive?

Anyone know the odds of this price falling shortly after launch?
I bought a few of my fall titles on launch day and got pretty burned when 60 cut to 30 like 4 weeks out.

[quote name='Zbornak']Does anyone know what Toys R Us shipping is like for preorders, i.e. how soon after release day does the game arrive?[/QUOTE]

It's really slow. My last pre-order from them took a full week after the release date. :whistle2:(

bread's done
Back