figure collectible japan

• Please log in to reply
975 replies to this topic

#121 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

I got a reply from GSC about the defects on Figma Samus's legs. They said they are sending me replacement parts!

If you have the same problem, you should try emailing GSC at: support@goodsmile.jp
Be sure to include a pic of the defects and your shipping address.

This is great. Other than those defects, she is the perfect Samus figure :3

#122 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

I got a reply from GSC about the defects on Figma Samus's legs. They said they are sending me replacement parts!

If you have the same problem, you should try emailing GSC at: support@goodsmile.jp

This is great news. Does this mean Max Factory is a part of GSC?

Also, what is this oil people have been speaking about, and should I be freaking out about it? (I'M MELTING! MEEEEELLLTIIIIING! Oh whataworld....)

#123 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Official Saber Golden Caliburn re-release announcement: http://www.goodsmile...n Caliburn.html
9000 yen figure + 2000 yen shipping = 11000 yen total (~$141)

Very cute Monster Hunter Tri G (3DS) Nendoroids coming out. There will be a male and female version. The boy already has a prototype and is available for preorder, while the girl was only recently announced.

Male Monster Hunger Tri G (November 2012):
Posted Image
Male MH3G from amiami (3000 yen, ~$39): http://www.amiami.co...de=FIG-IPN-4731

This is great news. Does this mean Max Factory is a part of GSC?

I think GSC is the publisher for Max Factory. All of my Max Factory boxes have GSC on them.

Also, what is this oil people have been speaking about, and should I be freaking out about it? (I'M MELTING! MEEEEELLLTIIIIING! Oh whataworld....)

No need to freak out. It's something that naturally comes out of pvc. Some people put their figure in the freezer for 20 mins to get rid of it. I haven't had to do that to any of my figures. Sometimes the surface of one of my figures gets a little sticky (probably the same oil), and I just use a wet qtip to lightly scrub it off.

#124 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

Ok, so it's nice to see that I don't have to worry about the PVC oils (though I will continue to do so), but are there any general guidelines for the care and maintenance of PVC figures? How/how not to clean them? Perhaps temperatures in which not to store them at?

I'm suddenly a lot more worried, because I just noticed a tiny PVC figure of plug-suit Ayanami that I have is purple in places that have no business being purple. I can't say with certainty that those colors weren't there when I got the figure (I got it used from dv8, and he shipped it in a bubble mailer, I think), but I can't tell whether the color came from somewhere else, or it's a sign that the paint is coming off the figure. Thus, I don't know whether I can clean it off, or just have to leave it be and find ways to keep it from getting worse.

#125 Lightning00

Lightning00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

Ok, so it's nice to see that I don't have to worry about the PVC oils (though I will continue to do so), but are there any general guidelines for the care and maintenance of PVC figures? How/how not to clean them? Perhaps temperatures in which not to store them at?

I'm suddenly a lot more worried, because I just noticed a tiny PVC figure of plug-suit Ayanami that I have is purple in places that have no business being purple. I can't say with certainty that those colors weren't there when I got the figure (I got it used from dv8, and he shipped it in a bubble mailer, I think), but I can't tell whether the color came from somewhere else, or it's a sign that the paint is coming off the figure. Thus, I don't know whether I can clean it off, or just have to leave it be and find ways to keep it from getting worse.

Well for me I buy a detolf so I dont have to worry about dusting the figure too often. Though if you display your figure in a open area then you can clean it up with a wet cloth, a brush, or a q-tip but dont rub too hard cause it might rub off the paint. As long you dont store in a hot area or in direct sunlight then you shouldnt worry too much the figure getting oily.

For paint smudge there's a couple of way to clean it and here's a blog someone having some problem about it and in the comment there's some method of removing it:

#126 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:28 AM

As long you dont store in a hot area or in direct sunlight then you shouldnt worry too much the figure getting oily.

Thanks for the reply! I've managed to avoid sunlight (bane of my existence), but what's considered hot? 80, 90, 100 deg? Summer's been a bear lately...

#127 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:35 AM

Even non-direct sunlight will eventually damage it. UV is what causes out, iirc. Cold and heat are both bad. Heat can cause the plastic to soften and droop. Don't use solvents to clean them, like alcohol.

#128 Lightning00

Lightning00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

Thanks for the reply! I've managed to avoid sunlight (bane of my existence), but what's considered hot? 80, 90, 100 deg? Summer's been a bear lately...

Tbh like elessar said both cold and hot is bad so Im not sure on definite temp. number but whatever I think room temp should be fine. If it does get too hot some people do use a fan on their figure

Even non-direct sunlight will eventually damage it. UV is what causes out, iirc. Cold and heat are both bad. Heat can cause the plastic to soften and droop. Don't use solvents to clean them, like alcohol.

Yeah I think its the UV that does damage, though if you put it in direct sunlight it'll damage it faster. I think people only use alcohol is to clean a paint smear/smudge on a figure but even then a person shouldnt put too much cause it might eat into the real paint also.

#129 Tempius

Tempius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

I made a review for the Figma Metroid on youtube. I am very happy with the figure!

#130 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

I did the same, and, they're also sending me new parts. Cool!

#131 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

are there any general guidelines for the care and maintenance of PVC figures? How/how not to clean them? Perhaps temperatures in which not to store them at?.

Good figure maintenance article: http://radiantdreame...ng-and-leaning/

If you have a lot of figures, it's a good idea to get yourself a Detolf from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/10011055/
This is the most commonly purchased figure display case due to its quality and price. Available in light or dark, Detolf offers an enclosed glass display with several levels and even a light at the top. Since it is enclosed, you rarely have to worry about dusting. Glass all around allows you to see your figures from all angles. I don't have one yet, but I would be careful that the dome light isn't too hot that it affects the top shelf of figures. Some people place these diode strips on the edge of each shelf: http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/20119418/

#132 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

My Samus figma and Zero suit arrived today from Hobby Link Japan. Varia suit seems to have the same blemishes as everyone elses', but they're smaller than I thought they would be. From lilman's picture, I thought they'd look like chunks were ripped out of the legs, but these aren't so bad. (I couldn't even seem them when she was in her packaging) If this was an American made toy, I'd have thought it was just the natural state of things. I'm still going to request replacement, legs, but good gravy she's pretty.

Regarding Hobby Link Japan, they seem pretty good. Zero suit's box is a little compacted from when they bundled the two figures together next to a cardboard sheet and wrapped them in plastic ala Amazon, but overall things look good. No paper invoice, but maybe that's a good thing.

Edited by Rasen, 03 August 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#133 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:18 AM

I made a review for the Figma Metroid on youtube. I am very happy with the figure!

Where did you get that Ridley from?

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#134 dragoon99

dragoon99

Objection!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

Tonight I also sent an email requesting replacement parts. I hope to hear back from them soon. I think it's great they are willing to send out replacement parts. I'd like to see pictures of Figma Samus without the inner thigh defect.

I'm also very curious where that Ridley originated from?

#135 Tempius

Tempius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

Where did you get that Ridley from?

I bought it off ebay about a year ago. It was a custom made piece.

#136 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Just got an email from GSC. They're sending me replacement legs. Man, I hope they don't lose too much money from all the replacement parts. I guess it's a good thing that as a figma, they don't have to replace an entire figure. Hm. Has anyone ever had defects on a pvc figure, and gotten a replacement?

Also, bully for them for being so wonderful about defects.

AAAaaaand....Lily is preordered!

Edited by Rasen, 06 August 2012 - 06:58 PM.

#137 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

Got my replacement Samus Figma thighs from GSC, and they have the same marks. The replacement left thigh is about the same as my current one, but the replacement right thigh is much better so I swapped it out.

Saber Golden Caliburn is up for order exclusively on GSC's online store: http://goodsmile-wf-global.ecq.sc/
Orders open from Aug 8-20 and figures will be made to order.

#138 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

So what's proper protocol here? Send back the defective legs? Should we keep asking for replacements until they send nice ones out? That feels rude, but if they're willing....

For those with Saber/Distant Avalon, is her dress (and sleeves) of a pink-ish hue? For some reason, I feel like when I saw it before, it was all white...Also, I can't shake the impression that the re-release of Avalon came in a blue-tinted box, while the original was silver? Or is it the other way around?

Also, packages arrived from Mandrake. Little beat-up, but such is the peril of traversing JFK, I suppose. Mandrake like bubble-wrap, so it helps cancel that out. Also: JFK sucks at updating when packages leave.

Edited by Rasen, 07 August 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#139 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

So what's proper protocol here? Send back the defective legs? Should we keep asking for replacements until they send nice ones out? That feels rude, but if they're willing....

I'm going to keep what I got. It's obviously a common problem. I'm happy that I went through the process since the right thigh replacement was much better than my original (the defect on my original right thigh was very noticeable), but once you have a set that isn't so obvious I would just let it go. Also, since we don't live in Japan, these don't come with a warranty. I'm surprised they offered a replacement at all, let alone sent it so fast.

I got some Madoka Figma recently (anime series) and they have little defects. It's the cost of mass production of tiny, detailed things. Sometimes you get lucky, but usually you have to accept a flaw or two. If these were $100+ figures like Saber Golden Caliburn, that's when you get serious about little things.

For those with Saber/Distant Avalon, is her dress (and sleeves) of a pink-ish hue? For some reason, I feel like when I saw it before, it was all white...Also, I can't shake the impression that the re-release of Avalon came in a blue-tinted box, while the original was silver? Or is it the other way around?

I have the re-release from 1/2012. Her dress does have a very light pinkish hue. In the official pics, the lighting makes it look more white than it is, so that may be what you were referencing. Here's a good close up shot from Tsuki-board of Saber Distant Avalon (closer to camera) with Saber Golden Caliburn: link
They both seem to have the same pink-creme color, although Caliburn may be a little lighter.

The re-release box for Distant Avalon is blue, and I think the original was more silver.

Edited by lilman, 06 August 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#140 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

I have the re-release from 1/2012. Her dress does have a very light pinkish hue. In the official pics, the lighting makes it look more white than it is, so that may be what you were referencing. Here's a good close up shot from Tsuki-board of Saber Distant Avalon (closer to camera) with Saber Golden Caliburn: link
They both seem to have the same pink-creme color, although Caliburn may be a little lighter.
The re-release box for Distant Avalon is blue, and I think the original was more silver.

Thanks for letting me know. That's a weight off my mind.

Also, speaking of pre-orders, do you know if there's a usual time-frame before retailers/makers stop taking them? Like, a month or two months before release? I ask because I hate pre-orders, since it means making sure you have available funds for a period of time and that can become a pain. I'm trying to decide when to pre-order those ridiculously adorable Saber nendoroids.

#141 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

Also, speaking of pre-orders, do you know if there's a usual time-frame before retailers/makers stop taking them? Like, a month or two months before release? I ask because I hate pre-orders, since it means making sure you have available funds for a period of time and that can become a pain. I'm trying to decide when to pre-order those ridiculously adorable Saber nendoroids.

In general, a popular figure can sell out at least two months before release. There's no fixed rule though. I would say preorder a month in advance at the latest. It's a lot different from video games where it is usually cheaper to pick one up a few weeks after release. With figures, the preorder price is usually cheaper than msrp, while buying after release is usually >= msrp and often difficult to find (like Figma Samus).

I have all those Saber Nendo on preorder from AmiAmi. The only one I'm interested in but missing is F/SN Super Movable, but I have the Lucky Star F/SN Nendo cosplay set :3

#142 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hey, I just had a weird thought. It's not so much about models as it is about pre-ordering across nations. Pre-orders don't usually charge until the item is shipped, right? So does it take into account exchange rates at the time of the pre-order, or do they check only when they charge?

So for example, if the global confidence in the US drops to an unprecedented low, and the dollar goes for a single yen, do all these pre-orders suddenly become clocks to bankruptcy? (The obvious flipside being if consumer confidence in the dollar soars, we profit and get things on the cheap?)

Edit: let's hear it for Hobby Search, who has managed to sneak through JFK quicker than Amiami. I question their packing sense, as they seem to do it to immobilize the contents, rather than protect them. Not that the two are mutually exclusive, but in this case....

Edited by Rasen, 08 August 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#143 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hey, I just had a weird thought. It's not so much about models as it is about pre-ordering across nations. Pre-orders don't usually charge until the item is shipped, right? So does it take into account exchange rates at the time of the pre-order, or do they check only when they charge?

So for example, if the global confidence in the US drops to an unprecedented low, and the dollar goes for a single yen, do all these pre-orders suddenly become clocks to bankruptcy? (The obvious flipside being if consumer confidence in the dollar soars, we profit and get things on the cheap?)

You don't pay for preorders until they are ready to ship, and the agreed upon preorder price is in another currency, so you could say preorders are potentially clocks to bankruptcy. The reality is that within the time period of placing a preorder and it is ready to be payed, currency rates do not change that much. Worst case scenario, you don't pay for your preorder and that store doesn't let you order from them anymore. It's not like it will hurt your credit card or you're forced to sell a kidney.

#144 Edwin29

Edwin29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

Aegis Figma, release date Dec. 2012

Posted Image

#145 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

Ah yes, possibly e one of the few girls who can pull off a Figma, her and her sister. And Samus.

#146 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Katherine and Catherine:

Posted Image

Posted Image

elessar123.png

#147 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

Love those Catherine figures! Wow!

#148 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

Those two Catherine's come out in October:
Katherine from HobbySearch (5270 yen, ~$68): http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10194043
Catherine from HobbySearch (5270 yen, ~$68): http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10191497

Both are 1/8 and made by Art Spirits. Don't have anything from that maker, but they look great.

There was also a 1/7 Catherine from Max Factory in January 2012:
Spoiler

Sold out everywhere by now.

#149 Action!

Action!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

I wanted to love that Katherine, but her pose is super off balance. Hoping they revisit her a few times like they did her C counterpart.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: Happy Inktober! New drawing every day!    |      Trade List

I do art commissions. Ask me to draw for you. I even accept some toys as payment.

The game that I animate for is OUT NOW! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#150 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

Package arrived from Amiami....I like the cut of their jib, packing items in a box that doesn't closely fit the contents, so they can add protective paper padding. JFK is as worthless as ever.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: figure, collectible, japan