Monitor shopping 101

shniernan

CAG Veteran
Alright, CAG, I am going to give you a scenario that may or may not be completely relevant to my current gaming situation right now. Please, any/all help is appreciated. So, let's say there's this guy who knows GENERALLY NOTHING about monitors or their specs. He has about 230$, but he supposes he could get 70 more pretty easily. Now this guy is looking for the right monitor for him.

Here are his wanted specs: 2 ms response. (It can be up to 5ms though, because I'm not that picky)
1080p.
22"-32"
Wall mount
HDMI input

So basically, I know nothing about the specifics, but my situation is that I have an xbox. I play Battlefield 3 A LOT. I have and HDMI to HDMI cord. And I have some money. What do?

Here are the two I'm looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236051

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

Both have HDMI, good response, good reviews, speakers (crappy, but it's still better than nothing), and are both cheap.

The other option is a Playstation 3 display, at 2x the price.

My reason for them is so I can free up the TV while I play games like Disgaea/Rorona/Totori/Qoga, where a large screen isn't vital, but still be able to hear sound effects while watching TV.

I just bought two of the monitors from the second link a few weeks ago, and they are fantastic. I haven't hooked up an Xbox or Ps3 to them yet, but I imagine it's going to look great no matter what. It only has 1 hdmi slot though.

[quote name='elessar123']The other option is a Playstation 3 display, at 2x the price.[/QUOTE]
Actually the Playstation brand 3-D display bundle has been $299.99 on sale quite a bit at Best Buy as of late. So if the OP's friend can squeeze together the $300 bones(plus tax) for one, then that may be the easiest option.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually the Playstation brand 3-D display bundle has been $299.99 on sale quite a bit at Best Buy as of late. So if the OP's friend can squeeze together the $300 bones(plus tax) for one, then that may be the easiest option.[/QUOTE]

But it's still 2x the price of the monitors...

It seems like there's a number of reviews mentioning blurring type issues with Asus monitors. I do wonder if they have properly setup the monitor's settings or if they just plugged it in expecting everything to work without any effort. Personally I'm thinking of getting something from Samsung for my next monitor. Seems like I have the best luck with Samsung in terms of quality. I do wish there was more 120hz monitors without the gimmicky 3D attached to it.

[quote name='Demolition Man']It seems like there's a number of reviews mentioning blurring type issues with Asus monitors. I do wonder if they have properly setup the monitor's settings or if they just plugged it in expecting everything to work without any effort. Personally I'm thinking of getting something from Samsung for my next monitor. Seems like I have the best luck with Samsung in terms of quality. I do wish there was more 120hz monitors without the gimmicky 3D attached to it.[/QUOTE]

I ordered one of the ASUS monitors, and it's supposed to be here today. I'll book it up to my PS3 and 360 and report back when I get a chance.

Personally, if anyone wanted to spend $300 for a Playstation brand 3D Display but didn't care too much about the 3D, I'd spend it on an IPS instead. Most cheaper monitors have TN panels which I can't stand.

Going Dell for my next monitor. Need one of them sexy UltraSharp monitors.

Ive heard good about that Acer for forever so It may be a good bet. The PS3 3D seems like a double waste at the cost and no PS3 for that 3D. Also I would imagine the response time lacking, but I haven't looked.

[quote name='sunghost']Personally, if anyone wanted to spend $300 for a Playstation brand 3D Display but didn't care too much about the 3D, I'd spend it on an IPS instead. Most cheaper monitors have TN panels which I can't stand.[/QUOTE]
THIS. Go IPS or go home.

bread's done
Back