• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

The red GBA is sexy. Nice job!

#272 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

One day I'll have enough money to buy that kit, or at least pay you to install it, wiggyx.

Meanwhile, I remodified my Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Stick and put in a D-sub port so I can plug and play on other systems like here.
http://cdnroot.cheap...pictureid=28911

I used some solder cups db-25s, though 15 would've been better for me... They weren't kidding about the solder in the solder cups. I probably used have used stranded completely, but the strands do drive me nuts.

Now all I have to do is modify that Dreampad pcb and install it into another dsub male. So it means I'll have to do it backwards right?

Batsugunner.png

#273 pat87

pat87

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

Hey wiggy, another question for you. Have you had to adjust the pot for the screen on these gba's? I know the gba sp pot was in the battery compartment, and on the normal gba, it's under the serial label. I just got my hands on an actual ags-101, and the screens between my backlit modded fat gba and the ags-101 is slightly different. The one in the fat gba is slightly "fuzzy" for a lack of a better word, and the ags-101 isn't.

I've read around that that potentiometer is there specifically to tune that problem... thing is, I see it, but not sure how to turn it. I'm guessing I'll probably have to take the casing off to do it easier.

#274 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:16 AM

The red GBA is sexy. Nice job!

Thanks! It looks like I'm gonna have to make more of those. Been getting lots of requests for that one.

One day I'll have enough money to buy that kit, or at least pay you to install it, wiggyx.

Meanwhile, I remodified my Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Stick and put in a D-sub port so I can plug and play on other systems like here.
http://cdnroot.cheap...pictureid=28911

I used some solder cups db-25s, though 15 would've been better for me... They weren't kidding about the solder in the solder cups. I probably used have used stranded completely, but the strands do drive me nuts.

Now all I have to do is modify that Dreampad pcb and install it into another dsub male. So it means I'll have to do it backwards right?

I saw that thread at some point. Maybe someone posted it in here already? Pretty cool stuff.

I didn't read the whole thread (I'm not a fight stick person, I actually PREFER a pad). What about solder in cups?

Hey wiggy, another question for you. Have you had to adjust the pot for the screen on these gba's? I know the gba sp pot was in the battery compartment, and on the normal gba, it's under the serial label. I just got my hands on an actual ags-101, and the screens between my backlit modded fat gba and the ags-101 is slightly different. The one in the fat gba is slightly "fuzzy" for a lack of a better word, and the ags-101 isn't.

I've read around that that potentiometer is there specifically to tune that problem... thing is, I see it, but not sure how to turn it. I'm guessing I'll probably have to take the casing off to do it easier.

On the 32-pin, yes. On the 40-pin, no. It really just affects brightness as best I can tell.

The mod isn't perfect, that's about all I can say. Putting the 101 screen in a GBA phat won't look as good as it did in the SP. It's the hardware, not the screen itself.

As far as adjusting the pot goes, either poke a hole in that sticker or pop the GBA apart ;)

I made a quick little gator clip 2AA battery box so that I can easily power up portables even when they're gutted. Makes life really easy for this sort of thing. You can take the GBA apart, stick a game in, and still power it up without the shell in place so you can make adjustments without guessing.

Posted Image

#275 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

I thought I could get away with just applying solder to the wire and then melting it into the cup, didn't take. I should've followed that instruction of leaving solder in the cup, then dipping the wire into it lol. That's why in the pic you can see the copper sticking out.

Heh, that's pretty clever wiggyx. Sure it's a pain to keep taking batteries in and out of the GBA, but at least that option exists. The problem with electronics these day is what if the special batteries run out and you can't go to the store or online to buy them because they're long gone? Then again, the manufacturers don't expect you to keep these gadgets no longer than five years or something.

Batsugunner.png

#276 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Lots of people have become quite crafty about stuffing old battery hosings with newer guts. It's not something that I've looked into yet, since nothing that I currently play either needs a battery or doesn't have something already available on the market.

But since I've been messing around with the old GBAs so much, it would be cool to have some sort of option to offer folks ;)

#277 pat87

pat87

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

On the 32-pin, yes. On the 40-pin, no. It really just affects brightness as best I can tell.

The mod isn't perfect, that's about all I can say. Putting the 101 screen in a GBA phat won't look as good as it did in the SP. It's the hardware, not the screen itself.

As far as adjusting the pot goes, either poke a hole in that sticker or pop the GBA apart ;)

I made a quick little gator clip 2AA battery box so that I can easily power up portables even when they're gutted. Makes life really easy for this sort of thing. You can take the GBA apart, stick a game in, and still power it up without the shell in place so you can make adjustments without guessing.

Posted Image

Yea I poked around the hole, but it just seemed to make things worse. I couldn't tell if I was even turning the thing.

I hadn't considered the battery box with gator clips though. Looks like I'll be making a trip to digikey (and also ordering some other things I've been putting off for a while). Eventually I need to buy a bench psu, but that'll have to wait until I have the room for it.

As always, appreciate the info.

#278 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

No prob!

As an FYI, I got the clips and box at RadioShack. Prolly more expensive that DK, but the shipping on DK can be brutal unless you're ordering like a zillion little things LOL!

#279 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Completed my converter box, which was a Mad Catz Dreamcast controller. I had a little difficulty with it, as I had a male to male cable and didn't realize that with those serial cables they don't go parallel. So I had to resolder the cups. :angry: I put the entire thing into a Barilla box because I was too cheap to buy a sturdier box ( especially a $8 project box.) Now to go buy and hack a PS1 controller.

wiggyx Where do you recommend buying those project boxes? I can't fathom paying more than $5 for a box that's barely bigger than a pasta one.

Batsugunner.png

#280 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

You can get em RadioSlut, but I've never had much use for them (I tend to just make my own enclosures), so I haven't done much searching around.

#281 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

Yea I poked around the hole, but it just seemed to make things worse. I couldn't tell if I was even turning the thing.

Taken out of context, it might sound like you're talking about sex. Or bees.

#282 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Where do you get your wire, wiggyx? I've looked around for a good deal on the spools, but they either come in 10c a foot with reasonable shipping at $2.50, or 100' at $10 with exhorbint shipping. Radioshack worse too, since all you get is 60 feet for $8-9.

This looks nice: http://www.electroni...it.A/id.1931/.f since it's $12 for 196ft of wire. But is there a better place?

Batsugunner.png

#283 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Wiggy is totally more awesome than these guys. Although the blue one is pretty sweet.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#284 pat87

pat87

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Where do you get your wire, wiggyx? I've looked around for a good deal on the spools, but they either come in 10c a foot with reasonable shipping at $2.50, or 100' at $10 with exhorbint shipping. Radioshack worse too, since all you get is 60 feet for $8-9.

This looks nice: http://www.electroni...it.A/id.1931/.f since it's $12 for 196ft of wire. But is there a better place?

If you have some spare cat 5 cables laying around, you can rip those apart for wire. You'll get 8 strands of differing colors (4 solid, and 4 white/solid).

#285 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Taken out of context, it might sound like you're talking about sex. Or bees.

LOL!

Again, RadioShack works for me. 50' for 6 bucks.

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2062640

If shipping weren't so prohibitive, then I'd likely buy online. But the price at RS isn't too bad when you consider the other factors.

BTW, that's solid core. That's what I use for all these tiny, fidly projects. Easier to bend and keep in place than braided core.

Wiggy is totally more awesome than these guys. Although the blue one is pretty sweet.

So, they paint consoles and Kotaku blogs about them?! Where's my Kotaku shout out? I can paint and "fix" (by which I assume they mean "clean") consoles all day long. Big deal, who can't? Lame.

#286 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Yeah, solid core is great for tiny projects, but is a pain in the ass to actually bend at larger lengths. I tend to use 22AWG btw.

If you want Kotaku to blog you, you might as well make a blog post about it.

Batsugunner.png

#287 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

You trying to get wire for the controller mods or somethin'? If so, I can understand needing the heavier stuff. Still, I tend to buy wire at Radio Shack or Home Depot (though I don't think you'll find anything over 18G there).

Wait, post on my blog that I wanna be on their blog? Or do you mean blog here, on CAG?

#288 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

I think Kotaku has a blog of its own. I'm not really sure 'cause I've only been to the site a couple of times, but it seems like there's a lot of user-created content. I could be wrong, though.

#289 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

Kotaku IS a blog last I checked. Have they morphed into something else?

#290 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

I have no idea. Like I said, I've only been to their site a couple of times. I find their content to be obnoxious and their site to be poorly coded/scripted, so I don't bother with it (although I apparently made an account at some point). Anyway, what I was saying is that it seems like just about anyone can post whatever they want on Kotaku and then the people in charge decide which ones to feature on the front page. I don't really know what the requisites are or how it all works or if I'm even slightly correct, but just looking at their Top Stories right now, it seems like they'll post pretty much anything as long as it's at least remotely related to video games, sex, or Japanese people. Even when I was in the gaming journalism scene, I was willfully ignorant of their site because it seems so...irrelevant.

#291 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Those blog news sites, in a way, can be seen as parasites and all they do is aggregate news from around the internet in a cute and easily readable format. You could start a wiggyx blog here or on blogspot, showcasing your works and such. I doubt most people on the internet are going to know about the cool things you do if it is all contained on one forum thread.

It doesn't have to be that elaborate, a simple post now and again, with not many words should be fine.

Personally I think you should have your business model and plan ready before the promotion. Anyway, in the meantime, I'll enjoy the magic that comes out of your workshop.

Batsugunner.png

#292 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Well I already have the one blog up and I plan on using it for typical business happenings as well as random projects (since that sort of thing can easily attract more business).

I gotta get some updates going.

I used to like Kotaku a lot years and year ago, but I just visited after a long hiatus, and it has indeed turned into something far less relevant than I recall. Seems overrun by commenters and whatnot. The new format blows too. Sloppy to navigate. I way prefer the simpler blog style in chronological order :/

#293 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

That's why there's http:\\blog.kotaku.com
If you thought the overrun by commenters now was bad, you should've seen it before the recent redesign. The commenters were so full of it that it was actually an important thing when they had to jump ship because of the new comment system.

Anyway, good luck man. I hope more people do get to know what you're doing for older systems.

Batsugunner.png

#294 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Seems overrun by commenters and whatnot. The new format blows too. Sloppy to navigate. I way prefer the simpler blog style in chronological order :/

Seriously. I spent five minutes trying to navigate through their ass-backwards commenting hierarchy system and it just wasn't worth the trouble. It doesn't make sense to have to click on a comment to see the responses, then click on the responses to see responses to them and so on...and then have to click on another link to go back up a level. It's so easy to script collapsible comments and it's much easier to navigate, so I don't know why they would stray so far from that. I mean, they essentially do that anyway, but it's like they do it in first-person mode. Whoever designed that mess needs to read Don't Make Me Think!

#295 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

I just don't get it. Did they think the old system was busted? It was simple, clean, and looked just fine. I don't understand the need to constantly "fix" things that aren't broken in the first place. Sometimes I can stand the ADHD mentality of the tech world. Operating Systems are packed with more and more useless froo-froo that only serves to muddy up menus and the UI, portable devices are constantly being updated with features that often feel 100% useless to me, blog sites are all changing to these inane new formats, and even game system OS has become cumbersome and wrought with adds.

Some of my fav blog sites are a sloppy mess now. All the Gawker sites (iO9, Gizmondo, Kotaku), Failblog/Failbook, etc. Argh. /rant

#296 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

Look, I finally got this damned thing done!

GBA Backlight Kit installation manual

Also, a little comparison between my micro faceplates and the original.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And then a totally Shameless plug for one of my other, not normally game-related products :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by wiggyx, 03 December 2012 - 04:07 AM.

#297 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Totally liking the shifties and how they could fit the GBA micros.

Batsugunner.png

#298 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, they could very easily double as protective sleeves.

#299 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

I was so happy with the pics more than anything LOL! I'm not a photographer, so when that happens I'm very happy LOL!

So, it's been a while since I've posted a project or finished one that I've already started :P. bought this dumb thing. Works just fine.

Posted Image

But the shape and feel are 'meh' at best. So this...

Posted Image

So far so good. Spent about 2 hours on it. I'd say on the mod complexity scale this is like a 5-6 (if I include the rechargeable battery that I'll have to add). Amazingly able to use the PC board from the retrobit controller! All but the start and select buttons line up just fine with some notching to the board to make it fit. Just gonna use little micro switches mounted into the original buttons for them instead. Works so far. This is way easier and quite a bit cheaper than making them from scratch like I was planning. Hell, maybe I can work with retrobit to get a kit that'll actually plop right into a SNES controller. How sweet would that be?! No cutting required, just swap the PB board and go!

Here you can see the micro switches temporarily wired up (because they're needed to sync the controller)

Posted Image

#300 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

You monster! How could you do this to the Super Famicom controller?!

Anyway, pretty cool mod you did. I'm not as shocked, considering replacement parts are a pain the butt to find. I'd like to see you do it to a Classic Controller, since those are more easily available than 20 year old controllers.

Batsugunner.png