Was bored, did mod.

• Please log in to reply
695 replies to this topic

#331 Captain_Insano16

Captain_Insano16

Has a ton of stuff FS/FT!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

Greetings all - does anyone happen to know what the size of the 6x screws are for the NES that holds the top half to the bottom half. I had one apart for awhile, and somehow the screws have wandered off since then.....

Thanks for any info anyone has.
Checkout my FS/FT/Wants list! :bouncy:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in all types of old school games - NES, SEGA, ATARI, TG-16, NEOGEO, ETC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also want Transformers or Gobots

#332 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Greetings all - does anyone happen to know what the size of the 6x screws are for the NES that holds the top half to the bottom half. I had one apart for awhile, and somehow the screws have wandered off since then.....

Thanks for any info anyone has.

I believe they are 1/2 inch length Phillips. Probably 1/16 inch diameter. They have a rounded head and a flat end. I measured to the best of my ability. They appear almost rainbow finished in the light.

#333 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

There was just a thread about this on cover project. Lemme see if I can find it...

http://www.thecoverp...p?topic=11841.0

#334 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

That discussion is about cartridges, though, and Captain Insano is talking about the console itself. I'm not sure what size they are, but Nintendo Repair Shop sells them:
http://www.nintendor...or-NES-console/

#335 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

There was just a thread about this on cover project. Lemme see if I can find it...

http://www.thecoverp...p?topic=11841.0

That discussion is about cartridges, though, and Captain Insano is talking about the console itself. I'm not sure what size they are, but Nintendo Repair Shop sells them:

What was wrong with my answer? :lol: And how long has nintendo repair shop existed? There went my idea for a website that I never followed through with in 2002.

#336 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

D'oh!

What was wrong with my answer? :lol:

Nothing, just that the post @ TCP was VERY specific, albeit for the wrong thing. Derp.

#337 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

What was wrong with my answer? :lol: And how long has nintendo repair shop existed? There went my idea for a website that I never followed through with in 2002.

Nothing, really; my answer is just more convenient. Heh. I'm not sure how long they have been in business, but I know the site has been around since at least 2005.

#338 Captain_Insano16

Captain_Insano16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

Thanks for all the info everyone - Thanks for the measurements Slowdive21. I didn't realize the ones inside the NES are the same size as the 6x outside ones (Thanks ZombieToast + Nintendo Repair Shop for that info). I'll take one out of the inside and see if i can find a match anywhere locally. I had always kept the outside screws separate from the inside ones when taking the NES apart.

All this trouble just to put in a blue LED.... MOD stage one of many for this NES (hopefully).
Interested in all types of old school games - NES, SEGA, ATARI, TG-16, NEOGEO, ETC

#339 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

Good luck! Make sure to post pics when you get it done :)

#340 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone - Thanks for the measurements Slowdive21. I didn't realize the ones inside the NES are the same size as the 6x outside ones (Thanks ZombieToast + Nintendo Repair Shop for that info). I'll take one out of the inside and see if i can find a match anywhere locally. I had always kept the outside screws separate from the inside ones when taking the NES apart.

All this trouble just to put in a blue LED.... MOD stage one of many for this NES (hopefully).

I think there are 2 screws that are longer inside, but I haven't taken one apart for a while.

#341 Captain_Insano16

Captain_Insano16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

I think there are 2 screws that are longer inside, but I haven't taken one apart for a while.

Yep, there are 2 that are silver-ish and a little longer than the rest - they hold the 72 pin in place if i remember correctly.

#342 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Makin' some fancy GBAs...

Posted Image

#343 lmz00

lmz00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

Fuck your GBAs, Fuck your shelves, get to making those wireless SNES controller kits! (Just kidding, but seriously.)

#344 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

Dude, making those controllers seriously sucks. It's SOOOOO much work.

The guy got back to me and basically said he doesn't want anyone selling his work. The way I look at it, I'll gladly flash the chips for people and assemble parts. Any idiot can do that. People are beating down his door to make kits, and he doesn't seem like he's got any interest.

#345 lmz00

lmz00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

That's disappointing. :(

#346 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

I sent another PM. I really think getting a plug and play kit going would be really doable and popular. We'll see.

But yeah, I was really disappointed when I read his reply, especially because I'm not asking to just take his work and make money from it, but rather to help him to make some money from his own work. I'll keep you posted, as always :)

#347 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Time to finish that GBA SP in a DMG that's been on the back burner forever. Just needed a little bit of old school SCSI ribbon to help me out :)

Posted Image

#348 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

One half of that job done, on to the other end...

Posted Image

#349 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Is this for a bigger display or something, cause you used up all the wires on the ribbon.
So that arcade cabinet is coming to fruition.

I was reading a GI recently and noticed that Ben Heck made a dual Atari/NES. It makes me wonder if he designed a custom board or he somehow just crammed their original hardware into a tiny space.

Batsugunner.png

#350 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

No no no, just wiring a chunk of the original GB board to the GBA SP board.

The orginal GB cart port does the dirty work, but it obviously needs to be connected to the GBA to be of any use. This was just the cleanest method I could think of to make that happen. I just wish they made solid core SCSI cables...

Also, working on some more custom GBA bits :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#351 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

3D printers not good enough?

Batsugunner.png

#352 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

If I had one...

Plus, there's no way to print in clear material ;)

#353 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I see. It's still really cool that you're making your own custom parts. I'm wondering if you know how to make the same type of plastic as found on the d-pad of a Sega Saturn controller (model 2/Japan of course.) But that takes some high chemistry lol.

Batsugunner.png

#354 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

It's ABS plastic. A 3D printer (at least the variety that I'm looking at) can print in ABS ;)

#355 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Little preview of where those clear buttons will be going (it's a vid, click it)

Posted Image

#356 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Anyone know only some parts of an SNES seem to discolor? Is it that they used different types of plastics for different sections?
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#357 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Same plastic (ABS), different batches with varying levels of additives.

http://www.vintageco...hp/archives/189

#358 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Success!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#359 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Holy moley, you did it. Now are they as durable? But no matter, you've made the molds anyway.

Batsugunner.png

#360 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

I've made many parts in the past with this resin and it's held up well. I'm gonna make a few sets and set em free in a few local GBAs that I know will get lots of play time to see how they do.

Installed.

Posted Image

Posted Image