Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

That looks hot.

#362 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Man you are a freaking badass.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#363 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Wow, you can make your own video game controllers. What's next a bubble gum SNES? A Cherry Garcia Wonderswan?

Anyway, totally great! I salute you.

Batsugunner.png

#364 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:09 AM

That looks hot.

Thanks!

Man you are a freaking badass.

I try my bestest ;)

Wow, you can make your own video game controllers. What's next a bubble gum SNES? A Cherry Garcia Wonderswan?

Anyway, totally great! I salute you.

Once I have the 3D printer, I can stop with all this fidly hand-built stuff and just do all my work in CAD, like I want to. THEN I can have any shapes and forms I want! (commence God complex)

I can't wait!

#365 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

Like? Yes, no?

Posted Image

Edited by wiggyx, 22 January 2013 - 05:41 AM.

#366 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

The templates are cool, do you have access to a 3D printer? I don't know about the black one, it kind of clashes with CAG.

EDIT: just read your previous post, the beast will be unleashed soon.

#367 Captain_Insano16

Captain_Insano16

Has a ton of stuff FS/FT!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

Wow Wiggy - Do you sell those GBA cases? Love that clear red color.
Checkout my FS/FT/Wants list! :bouncy:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in all types of old school games - NES, SEGA, ATARI, TG-16, NEOGEO, ETC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also want Transformers or Gobots

#368 Captain_Insano16

Captain_Insano16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Greetings all - does anyone happen to know what the size of the 6x screws are for the NES that holds the top half to the bottom half. I had one apart for awhile, and somehow the screws have wandered off since then.....

Thanks for any info anyone has.

For anyone that was in the same boat and needs NES case screws....

I couldn't find anything at the local hardware stores that were a match (some that would have worked, but would have retreaded the holes). I ended up ordering them from DKoldies.

They have a pack of 12 screws for $.99 (+1.90 shipping).

http://www.dkoldies....o-nes-screw.htm
Interested in all types of old school games - NES, SEGA, ATARI, TG-16, NEOGEO, ETC

#369 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

Wow Wiggy - Do you sell those GBA cases? Love that clear red color.

If I had access to clean, empty Glacier shells to paint, then yes, I would. As it is I just mod and sell entire units. I'll gladly paint one for ya though.

While trying to clean my studio space today I came across an old Intec PS2 flip screen in about 10 pieces. $Don't even know where it came from, but it's been here for a least 10 years. So, I hodge-podged I together to make sure it works, and it did! $Woot! $

Of course I couldn't let such a wonderful piece of crap go to waste, so I mocked this all up.

Posted Image

All mocked up in foam core for now. Gonna play it a bit tonight then tear it down do I can measure all the panels and then cut plywood panels later this week.

Oh well, so much for cleaning...

#370 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Quite rough, but should make a nice little tabletop arcade system. Hope you got your battops ready.

Batsugunner.png

#371 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Well, like I said, it's just a foam core mockup. Just as an FYI, the marquee does light up an I'm gonna put graphics on it. Don't worry, it'll be purdy when all is said and done ;)

Also, battops?

#372 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

You know, joysticks. lol. Posted Image

Batsugunner.png

#373 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Just to clarify a bit further, "bat top" refers to shape of the joystick handle, which slightly resembles a bat or cudgel (as pictured above). Alternatively, "ball top" would refer to one that has a ball on top.

#374 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Come on, detective, you know I don't like fight sticks. We've talked about this before. I'm a SNES pad kind of guy ;)

#375 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Please ignore upside-down screen. 'Twas really late and I was hot glue happy.

Posted Image

Now to tear it down and make wood panels.

#376 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Where do you get some of the supplies for this stuff? Like the buttons you made above, where did you get the plastic material to do that?
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#377 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

I'm working on a how-to for that stuff. But you can get pretty much all of it right here.

http://www.dickblick.com/

Quick vid of the SNES mini arcade. Click to watch.

Posted Image

No to tear it down and rebuild out of wood and add graphics :D

#378 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Really nice. It looks like it would fit in Flanders' basement rec room, wood or not.

Batsugunner.png

#379 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

Thanks! Getting closer...

Posted Image

#380 Captain_Insano16

Captain_Insano16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

Wow Wiggy - that is Super Cool. I'll have to try something like that one day. What did you use for the screen?

#381 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

Man, after looking at some projects, I really want a 3D printer now.

#382 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Wow Wiggy - that is Super Cool. I'll have to try something like that one day. What did you use for the screen?

An old Intec PS2 flip-up screen. The quality is so-so, but I had it sitting here, and it was free :)

#383 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

All done!

Posted Image

Hard-wired S-vid in. The image quality is a TON better. I'm really happy with it. Been playing some SMW and Metroid Super Zero Mission. Good times!

#384 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Really nice. Hopefully you'll make a guide on how to hack these old screens?

Batsugunner.png

#385 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Thanks man! I cranked away on it like non-stop for the last two days and ended up being pretty proud of it.

The one I used was 95% no-brainer since it was already built for plug-n-play. This is exactly what I used:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27cf1f8d50

Has speakers, composite and S-vid in, brightness & color/contrast adjustment, on/off switch, AC adapter, and even 2 headphone jacks (which I just cut off). I didn't even bother to hard wire the audio, just used the Nintendo multi-out composite cables (but hard-wired an S-video cable to the SNES board since I don't have an extra set of plug-n-play cables).

The only other mod besides the S-vid connection was extending the controller port ribbon, which I did with a section of SCSI ribbon, and cutting up the plastic cart port piece a bit from the SNES to make it so I could mount it flush in the cabinet. I have lots of extra busted SNES units with UGLY cases, so I didn't feel too bad hacking that one part up a bit. Otherwise the entire thing could be pulled apart and stufed back into an original shell, which is how I try and do mods since butchering classic consoles sorta bums me out.

I may make a few of these and sell em. I can get the hardware for next to nothing (as you can see in that auction), and now that I have templates for all the cabinet parts, it wouldn't take too much work. Could make me some quick $$$ to go toward the 3D printer ;)

#386 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

WOW WOW WOW. That is awesome. I have a friend who is a manager at Gamestop and he said whenever someone tries to trade in those old ps2 screens they have to turn them down. (gamestop doesnt buy them back) Usually the customers just tell him to pitch them. I can make no promises but I'll let him know to save them for me, and if he comes across some I'll let you know. It would be a shame to see them pitched when you can do beautiful work with them. Well done.

#387 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Dude, that would be awesome! I'd do my best to make it worth your while too ;)

#388 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

So where exactly is the slit to insert the cart in that cabinet?

#389 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Oh yeah, in the back. Here's a pic when it was mocked up in foam core.

Posted Image

#390 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Everytime I come to this thread, I am simple amazed!

Nice work!

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.