• Please log in to reply
683 replies to this topic

#391 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks!!!

Next up, finish stupid DMG SP and Genesis 3 shell that I started forever ago...

#392 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

I'd love to see what you could do with a 3D printer. Wiggy action figure?;)
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#393 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

I'm gonna wear that damned printer out! LOL!

#394 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Big, fat blog update today! Check it out, fellow game nerds :D

#395 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Oooooooh my god @ the Neo Geo and Wonderswan lights. You are the greatest.

Does the Wonderswan mod work with any model? I have a Wonderswan Crystal that I'd love to get a light stuck into.

Both systems are currently in my parents basement (typical...) but next time I'm home (live across the country at the moment) I can grab them.

This is amazing.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#396 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Yup! I can front light the Crystal and Color, and I can backlight the B&W :)

Thanks!

#397 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

That DMG SP is pretty gnarly. I hope it's comfortable.

Batsugunner.png

#398 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

It's super comfy! Nice and big so your hands don't cramp up and the L/R buttons are right where my index fingers fall naturally, so no need to contort my hands and fingers to play :D

Also, a little news coming to the blog later today...

Posted Image

#399 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Nomad mod anyone?

Posted Image

#400 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

So it's just basically a mini monitor? Nice, I'll enjoy seeing that Nomad mod, hell put it with a PSP arcade machine too.

Batsugunner.png

#401 Captain_Insano16

Captain_Insano16

Has a ton of stuff FS/FT!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

Wiggy - you just continue to amaze! Any chance of a upgraded lynx or GG screen mod?
Checkout my FS/FT/Wants list! :bouncy:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in all types of old school games - NES, SEGA, ATARI, TG-16, NEOGEO, ETC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also want Transformers or Gobots

#402 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

So it's just basically a mini monitor? Nice, I'll enjoy seeing that Nomad mod, hell put it with a PSP arcade machine too.

Yup yup! Super easy mod too.

http://www.racketboy...hp?f=25&t=17415

Posted Image

Went ahead and added a purple power LED while I was in there for the heck of it :D

Wiggy - you just continue to amaze! Any chance of a upgraded lynx or GG screen mod?

I'm working on a GG with a more modern LED backlight versus the ancient tube. It's not as easy with the GG since there's no video out like the Nomad which allows you to hookup and generic display to it as long as you can shove it in the case. I could easily do the same newer backlight on the Lynx, it's just finding one that's large enough without breaking the bank buying an LCD to dissect for the project.

I can get DSi XL LCDs for about 15-20 bucks that I can strip the backlight from, but I'm trying to find a cheaper solution.

#403 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I imagine you'll be using this guide to get the Game Gear output. http://disgruntledde...king/ggrgb.html

Get that done and you'll be playing Dunk Kids in no time!

Batsugunner.png

#404 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hmmmmm... a PSP arcade machine, you say? I think there's some real promise in that idea. Especially with the number of PSP games currently available for purchase on PSN. How would you go about modding a PSP to output a video signal compatible with a more standard monitor?

#405 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Somebody on Ben Heck's site must have figured out how to get VGA or RGB out of a PSP 1000?

Batsugunner.png

#406 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

As long as it has an older firmware, a PSP 3000 can run emulators just fine.

#407 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

As long as it has an older firmware, a PSP 3000 can run emulators just fine.

The only means of downgrading the firmware on a 3000 model is to do so temporarily. You can downgrade a 3000 model firmware and get custom firmware running on it, but it only lasts as long as the unit is on. Turning the PSP off or replacing the battery negates the downgrading, and the process has to be repeated.

This is why the 1000 and 2000 models are so popular for those wanting to use custom firmware. A 2000 model would be near ideal for these purposes, as it is capable of running custom firmware permanently and also supports component video out. (the 1000 models do not support the component video cables)

#408 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

I don't think you need to downgrade anymore. They found a way around it. :wink:

Anyway, a 1000 model should suffice for the hacking since they're the cheapest. Wire up an SNES controller to it and you're good to go. I guess you'll either convert the signals to the PSP or get a board that translates the SNES controller's output into a DB15 port.

Batsugunner.png

#409 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

The way I would do it would be how I'm doing my DMG SP; wire the traces on the SNES controller directly to the traces/contact pads on the PSP. Easiest and cheapest way I can think of.

I bet I could even squeeze the analogue stick in the SNES controller since the board itself would be largely useless, so cutting a big hole in it wouldn't be much concern :)

#410 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

Still a shame to do that to the SNES board, surely you can whip up something like an FG Widget, allowing that SNES controller be reused for other projects, heh heh. Still, going to enjoy the results.

Batsugunner.png

#411 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

What, the SNES controller?

I'll just hunt on eBay for one that has a thrashed cord, since that would need to be hacked up anyway. So I wouldn't be killing a controller, I'd be resurrecting one ;)

#412 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

The only means of downgrading the firmware on a 3000 model is to do so temporarily. You can downgrade a 3000 model firmware and get custom firmware running on it, but it only lasts as long as the unit is on. Turning the PSP off or replacing the battery negates the downgrading, and the process has to be repeated.

This is why the 1000 and 2000 models are so popular for those wanting to use custom firmware. A 2000 model would be near ideal for these purposes, as it is capable of running custom firmware permanently and also supports component video out. (the 1000 models do not support the component video cables)

I don't keep current on PSP modding, so I can't confirm if anyone has found a workaround like detectiveconan said, but if it's an older PSP 3000 that already has an older firmware, it can be modded permanently. In fact, I've read that it can be done with firmware as recent as 6.20.

#413 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

In fact, I've read that it can be done with firmware as recent as 6.20.

That is possible. But it might all be moot once the Ouya arrives. That thing is going to be near-ideal as the insides for a makeshift arcade cabinet. I've got all sorts of custom arcade ideas swimming around in my head, and the Ouya is going to make most of them easy and affordable.

#414 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

If you want to look at it that way, then a PC will always be the way to go for this sort of thing.

The issue is really space, and both a PC and the Ouya aren't really great candidates for a mini/tabletop arcade.

#415 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

The issue is really space, and both a PC and the Ouya aren't really great candidates for a mini/tabletop arcade.

Really? The Ouya is going to be roughly the size of a Rubix Cube, and can be completely and safely dismantled with standard tools. Taking it apart won't void the warranty, and it is designed to be mod-friendly. Given its diminutive size and much smaller cooling requirements, I would think it would be an ideal candidate for a tabletop mini-arcade. It even outputs a standard digital video signal, which would make it compatible with most modern monitors.

And on top of all that, the Ouya is priced competitively. It offers all the strengths of a micro-PC, in a much smaller form-factor and for a lower price. It's a budget-minded modder's dream come true.

#416 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

It is?! I thought it was gonna be the size of an emachine or so. My bad.

#417 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Yep, they're tiny.

http://www.ouya.tv/
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#418 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yeha, I checked right after that. Madness!

#419 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

The Ouya is an Android device, and about the same price ;)

#420 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Micro faceplates are in and info about Nomad mods are up on the blog!

Posted Image