Was bored, did mod.

• Please log in to reply
683 replies to this topic

#421 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

Cool on the GBA buttons too. If you'd include extra rubber contacts, I'm more likely sold.

Batsugunner.png

#422 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

I've just started watching the Ben Heck show and my introductory episode is the most recent one, where he modifies the NES cart input pins. Even without the music, I find it so mesmerizing.

Batsugunner.png

#423 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Is it just me, or does it seem like it would be a LOT easier to modify an original 72-pin connector than to make one from scratch, not to mention more consistent pin spacing, tension, etc?

Totally mesmerizing though. I never sit through 15 minute YouTube vids, and I did watch that entire thing.

#424 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Oh god, I need to be keeping up with this thread and the RSG blog more. That Luigi faceplate is SWEET.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#425 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

I guess he really wanted to make a clamp that badly.

Batsugunner.png

#426 Nogib

Nogib

*squeezing* the *juice*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

Nice job with the Nomad screen mod! I offloaded my Nomad on eBay last fall precisely because of how god awful that original screen is compared to modern LCDs.
End of line.

#427 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Oh god, I need to be keeping up with this thread and the RSG blog more. That Luigi faceplate is SWEET.

Yeah you do, plus I think you still owe me a PM ;)

I guess he really wanted to make a clamp that badly.

I would have modded a normal 72-pin connector for that though. I like his clamp idea, albeit entirely over-engineered, but the process seems, well, over-engineered LOL!

Nice job with the Nomad screen mod! I offloaded my Nomad on eBay last fall precisely because of how god awful that original screen is compared to modern LCDs.

Thanks!

That and the other color portables from that era are so miserable to look at. I'm working on an LED backlit GG for a fellow on The Cover Project using the parts from a DSi XL LCD. Should be pretty decent :)

Edited by wiggyx, 19 February 2013 - 03:39 AM.

#428 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

I had just started researching Nomad replacement LCD's and what do I find? Should've just looked here first.

The screen on my Nomad broke in the 90s, it's been sitting in a box disassembled ever since, hopefully I didn't lose any parts. This is just what I needed. I can't find any solid information on which screens work and which don't, some products are recommended then have a revision that causes it not to work, etc.

Not sure if I want to attempt it myself or pay someone to do it and I'm not sure I'd be able to replace any lost parts. My soldering skills are, unfortunately, sub par and buying screens that might not work is risky. And as of now I can't locate the A/B/C/X/Y/Z/Mode/Start buttons.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had attempted to mod the Nomad to use a somewhat larger screen? It looks like some of the bezel can be cut away and maybe a 4.5 inch screen could fit in there. There must be a reason why I can't find anyone who has attempted it though.

If I can't locate the face buttons, is there a controller that used identical buttons or are they unique to the Nomad?

Edited by dafoomie, 15 February 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#429 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

Sadly I think the face buttons and rubber domes are gone forever, all I've got is the d-pad and its dome. My only option is probably to buy a broken Nomad but most have broken screens as mine does, it would be pointless.

Also, what is the best way to neatly and cleanly cut a Genesis 1 cartridge slot so that Japanese carts will fit? I don't have a dremel.

#430 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

I don't have a dremel.

Buy one. Once you have one, you'll use it all the time. It's worth it.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#431 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

My hands aren't really steady enough for that to end well.

I guess I figured out why nobodys tried a larger screen on the Nomad, I couldn't find a 4:3 LCD above 3.5 and below 7 inches. Wonder if anyone makes a 3 inch 4:3 OLED that takes analog?

Edited by dafoomie, 16 February 2013 - 05:04 AM.

#432 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

I had just started researching Nomad replacement LCD's and what do I find? Should've just looked here first.

The screen on my Nomad broke in the 90s, it's been sitting in a box disassembled ever since, hopefully I didn't lose any parts. This is just what I needed. I can't find any solid information on which screens work and which don't, some products are recommended then have a revision that causes it not to work, etc.

Not sure if I want to attempt it myself or pay someone to do it and I'm not sure I'd be able to replace any lost parts. My soldering skills are, unfortunately, sub par and buying screens that might not work is risky. And as of now I can't locate the A/B/C/X/Y/Z/Mode/Start buttons.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had attempted to mod the Nomad to use a somewhat larger screen? It looks like some of the bezel can be cut away and maybe a 4.5 inch screen could fit in there. There must be a reason why I can't find anyone who has attempted it though.

If I can't locate the face buttons, is there a controller that used identical buttons or are they unique to the Nomad?

I actually offer the mod as a service.

http://rosecoloredga...-now-available/

But I can't do too much about missing parts :(

Sadly I think the face buttons and rubber domes are gone forever, all I've got is the d-pad and its dome. My only option is probably to buy a broken Nomad but most have broken screens as mine does, it would be pointless.

Also, what is the best way to neatly and cleanly cut a Genesis 1 cartridge slot so that Japanese carts will fit? I don't have a dremel.

If a Dremel is more than you can deal with, a file can do the job, it'll just take a lot of work to make it happen.

Again, I can do this for you, no problem.

My hands aren't really steady enough for that to end well.

I guess I figured out why nobodys tried a larger screen on the Nomad, I couldn't find a 4:3 LCD above 3.5 and below 7 inches. Wonder if anyone makes a 3 inch 4:3 OLED that takes analog?

The other issue with this idea is that you'd need to fabricate a lens that accommodates the larger LCD as well as cut a larger opening. It could definitely be done, but it'd take some extra work and materials.

#433 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

I haven't been able to source a ~4 inch 4:3 LCD. Right now I'm just going to find those damn buttons, if I do I'd probably want to send you the Nomad and the Genesis lid. This is such a stupid problem to have.

Also, are you familiar with the Genesis s-video mod? Is there a way to eliminate those jail bars?

#434 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

Which generation of Genesis?

#435 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Genesis 1, VA5 or 6 (I think), TMSS and ext port.

#436 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

http://revision3.com...e-system-part-2

Part 2. And look it's a Telephone PC!

Batsugunner.png

#437 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Genesis 1, VA5 or 6 (I think), TMSS and ext port.

Sorry, should have asked this before, are you using an LCD or CRT tele?

http://revision3.com...e-system-part-2

Part 2. And look it's a Telephone PC!

Dear lord! So overkill, like SOOOOO overkill, but really awesome!

#438 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

I've recently started to play more of my PSP, due to my sudden interest in Front Mission 3, and I'm wondering if anybody attempted to 3D print faceplate for it. It would be very handy especially when you want to do some button mods, and to deal with the crappy Dpad. But lo and behold this:

But I'd rather use a spare SNES dpad since I only have two SNES controllers.

Batsugunner.png

#439 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Sorry, should have asked this before, are you using an LCD or CRT tele?!

It's clear as day on an LCD, can't notice it on the CRT (probably because of the comb filter) but my CRT may be going.

#440 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hey Wiggy. Do you need guts of handhelds for your mods? I see all forms of gameboys for under $5 each, but they are usually missing the battery cover or have scratched screens. I know I joked about being your supplier, but I can pick up stuff like that, if you could give them new life.

#441 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

I really need GBAs more than anything. Lens makes no difference since I replace almost all of them with a glass version and I have a stack of battery covers :)

So, yeah, if you can find 'em then I'll GLADLY take em!

#442 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

I really need GBAs more than anything. Lens makes no difference since I replace almost all of them with a glass version and I have a stack of battery covers :)

So, yeah, if you can find 'em then I'll GLADLY take em!

Ok, I will start picking them up! Yeah, GBAs seem to be the ones I see most often, followed by GBA SP, and gameboy color.

Oh and if you have any plans for n64 shells let me know...I think I have at least 15-18 of them last count. ;)

#443 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Sweet, thanks!

I think an N64 shell is in dire need of creation. Talk about an ugly console :/

#444 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Interesting. I'd like to see a wood finish, and if it looks like the Super Famicom, more power to ya.

Batsugunner.png

#445 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Wood will be tough. The only way to actually make one from wood would be a) hand build, 2) CNC, or 3) do a veneer over the plastic parts, which obviously wouldn't be solid wood, but at least I could use a really nice REAL veneer and not the cheap shit that is applied to every goddamned piece of shitty Wal-Fart shelving out there.

Oops, got a bit rant-y for a second there :P

#446 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

A few years back I built myself a a custom computer desk out of particle board. The thing is solid as hell, but since it's particle board it's also kinda ugly. Couldn't stain it as it has no wood pattern, so I painted it. What I had wanted to do was the use some sort of vinyl or even real wood veneer, but the guys at Lowes here couldn't help me with that. One day I'll probably do another desk, but I'd really like to know where to get something nice to cover the particle board.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#447 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

Veener. Home stores should have it, and if not, hobby and craft shops are a good bet :)

#448 VaultBoy101

VaultBoy101

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

I'm a mod on another site if you ever get bored again.

#449 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

What site?

#450 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

you've talked me into it. yes, I will be Mrs Wiggy.
gwensigol8.png