Was bored, did mod.

• Please log in to reply
683 replies to this topic

#451 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

LOL! Thank you, but there's already very sweet Mrs. Wiggy :)

#452 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

I forgive you. she's very fortunate to have such a creative and talented hunny.

PMing you a mod-related question.
gwensigol8.png

#453 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

The real Ms. Wiggy has the patience of a saint, letting him stay up at all hours of the night.

Batsugunner.png

#454 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Veener. Home stores should have it, and if not, hobby and craft shops are a good bet :)

Places like Hobby Lobby? Never seen anything like that there. I remember the guy at Lowes suggesting wood grain pattern shelf lining paper, yeah....no.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#455 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

I forgive you. she's very fortunate to have such a creative and talented hunny.

PMing you a mod-related question.

Thank you. She agrees with you (most of the time).

Got the PM. I'll get back to you ASAP.

The real Ms. Wiggy has the patience of a saint, letting him stay up at all hours of the night.

And that's the other post of the time LOL! Luckily most of the work and whatnot that I do is pretty quiet. The Dremel and bandsaw are pretty much the only things that are off-limits once about 9pm hits :P

Places like Hobby Lobby? Never seen anything like that there. I remember the guy at Lowes suggesting wood grain pattern shelf lining paper, yeah....no.

The guy at Lowe's should take his head out of his butt and learn to search his store and the consumer site for his customers.

http://www.lowes.com.../_/N-1z10t25/pl

Hobby Lobby will likely have veneers, but not likely in the sizes that you'll need. As it is, you'll most likely have to piecemeal it together with strips of stuff not wider than 24". But that's fine. That's how actual wood-top desk are built (in laminated planks), so no issues there.

Something that I didn't think about before is Luan plywood. A 1/4" sheet won't add much thinkness to the desk and then you can just veneer around the perimeter to cover the particleboard and plywood edge.

#456 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

Huh, yeah this is exactly what I needed basically.

http://www.lowes.com...ng|1&facetInfo=

Nobody I asked seemed to think they had anything remotely like that. But yeah, I had seen the thin sheets of Luan and had given thought to it, it's just this thing is already so big and heavy I didn't want to add any more weight to it. See, it sits upstairs in an unused bedroom/my "office", it was built in the room, and it didn't dawn on me that one day I might want to remove it....lol. Getting this thing down stairs is not an option, so if I replace it I'll be breaking it apart to get it out. I'd actually take a pic if it wasn't such a mess right now.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#457 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Always design things to be dismantled in the future. Or at least, that's how I go about my construction projects. If I had designed my arcade cabinet to be one solid chunk, I would never have been able to move it around. (the thing is seven feet tall and several hundred pounds) Thanks to the initial design, it can be dismantled into chunks no more than a few feet across, and I've managed to move it all sorts of places.

Particle board can be fantastic for construction. It's decently durable as long as you can keep it dry, and its a lot easier to work with than many other materials. It can be a challenge to decorate it after the fact. Always make sure you think your projects out ahead of time and approach them with a logical plan. It helps you avoid situations like this down the line.

#458 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

AW YEA BOI, Wiggy all up ins dat interview, son.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#459 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

Awesome, thanks for the link, Strell.

#460 lmz00

lmz00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

Good read.

#461 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

AW YEA BOI, Wiggy all up ins dat interview, son.

Damn, actually beat me to my own self-promotion LOL!

Thanks for the love, guys!

#462 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Oh yeah, Mr. Heckendorn finished that NES.

He just had to make the metal prongs longer.

I thought he could've made the system a bit smaller, rather than the size of a 360 or the VCR size of the original. Still looks cool though.

Batsugunner.png

#463 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

I just saw that earlier! Pretty cool!

I just wish it wasn't so, um, homely :/ I'd love to design cases for some of the stuff he does. He's got the mega ninja engineering skills, but the aesthetic leaves a bit to be desired...

So, moved into the new office today finally. In true wiggy fashion, new shelves went up ASAP! This setup will hold like everything I'll ever need for the business!

Posted Image

#464 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

Those shelves will be full pretty soon. Don't forget to build a little one for brochures lol.

Batsugunner.png

#465 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Can I come work for you wiggy? I won't eat much, I can sleep in a corner.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#466 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

I'll eat a lot, but I would also like employment.

#467 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

If you can solder, cut a straight line with an Xacto blade, and can effectively use Windex, then you're hired!

#468 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

I'm two out of three!

Posted Image

#469 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

I can't even color between the lines. :\
I'm thinking about hacking a PS1 controller, M-type digital, and I'm a little trepidatious about it considering I fried the H type. I paid $6 for both, but I wonder if there are any tips. Is adding flux to the board a big tip?

Batsugunner.png

#470 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

If you can solder, cut a straight line with an Xacto blade, and can effectively use Windex, then you're hired!

My Windex skills are somewhat lacking, but I have the other two covered.

Strell managed to keep me from unleashing Skynet on the world again, so he probably thinks he's got the one up on me, but he doesn't.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#471 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'll have to work on my soldering. I can get by just fine with gas and arc welding, but I don't yet feel particularly comfortable with a soldering iron.

#472 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

LOL! I think you all qualify. My secretary will be in touch :P

I can't even color between the lines. :\
I'm thinking about hacking a PS1 controller, M-type digital, and I'm a little trepidatious about it considering I fried the H type. I paid $6 for both, but I wonder if there are any tips. Is adding flux to the board a big tip?

Flux is always a big help. Lead solder is WAY easier to work with as well. If you end up using lead-free, then flux is an absolute MUST. What exactly is this mod you speak of?

So, the shelving is filling up. The office/studio is pretty much up-and-running now :D I can finally get back to actual work now.

Posted Image

#473 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Strell managed to keep me from unleashing Skynet on the world again, so he probably thinks he's got the one up on me, but he doesn't.

Sounds like SOMEONE has already been infected by the machines.

Posted Image

#474 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

I did it, almost. I couldn't get the solder to stick to the L1 and start contact, even after flux. How does one get solder to stay on a pcb? A little kynar wire allowed me to fix the Start easily, but L1 is gone. Oh well, 14/15 isn't bad.

Batsugunner.png

#475 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

The secret is getting both the wire and contact patch up to about the same temp. You may need to clean the tip a bit or just apply heat for a tad longer.

#476 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Did that, and the copper plate snapped off. Sigh. Oh well I'm stuck using:
Square Triangle L2 R1
X Circle R1
Plus directions and starts

Still, the games I'll be playing will be 6 button games, and easily configurable on the option screen. I should've gotten a hot glue gun anyway. Shrug.

Batsugunner.png

#477 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Damn. It happens to all of us at some point or another.

Can you get to the trace and solder to it instead?

#478 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, but it won't stay unless I use some fine wire, which is a pain the butt. The 30AWGstuck to the trace, I'm glad it worked. Maybe a hobby drill will make it easier next time, since I can stick it into a hole and solder it.

Batsugunner.png

#479 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

White Sega Saturn... :drool:
Posted Image

#480 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Yeah, but it won't stay unless I use some fine wire, which is a pain the butt. The 30AWGstuck to the trace, I'm glad it worked. Maybe a hobby drill will make it easier next time, since I can stick it into a hole and solder it.

Try a 15W for the super tiny stuff. 30W might just be enough to lift pads/traces.

White Sega Saturn... :drool:

To be fair, it's a cheater (I.e. I painted it to be a JP clone for a buddy that I'm eventually going to trade off to him).