Was bored, did mod.

wiggyx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Like the title says, was bored, did mod.

DSC02085.jpg

DSC02087.jpg

DSC02090.jpg

DSC02091.jpg

DSC02092.jpg

DSC02096.jpg

DSC02093.jpg

DSC02094.jpg

I hate opening that damned system. Those aftermarket shells are so fragile for the Playstation 1 fat. I end up supergluing something EVERY time I open it. Next time (if there is one) I'll prolly end up reinforcing the screw bosses with metal sleeves.

Anywho, thought I'd share. Seemed like the perfect thing to show off on CAG, since it cost me about 3 bucks in LEDs, wire, solder, and glue ;)

Anyone else have quick, cheap-o system mods to show off?

that is simply spectacular! i love what you did, the only "mod" ive ever done was painting my xbox 360 blue.

Maybe it is just the picture, but I don't see a resistor inline with the LEDs. Shame on you :)

Seriously though - it looks great. Awesome job.

The only mod that I have had time to do recently was cutting down a power base converter to fit a Genesis model 2... so nothing as cool looking as yours.

Where did you get the red shell? I was hoping to get one for my PS1 Kiosk, but can only find mini PSone (ePay) and blue (ncsx).

Many Thanks!
AX

[quote name='the.golden.ax']Where did you get the red shell? I was hoping to get one for my PS1 Kiosk, but can only find mini PSone (ePay) and blue (ncsx).

Many Thanks!
AX[/QUOTE]

I got it YEARS ago via NCSX. And by years, I mean like 10+. I'm actually considering grabbing one of those remaining blue shell on NCSX now...

I use to open the junk graystation for repairs to the misaligned laser assembly and sometimes other mods. One time while readjusting after checking the repair I left it plugged in and learned a painful lesson about electricity.

Thanks, will do ;)

I'm working on a Dreamcast that I had in a pinkish-red aftermarket shell (it's uuuuugly). I tinted it with a product that's super popular in the automotive aftermarket world (VHT Nightshades) and am adding a few LED strips. I'm just having a hard time getting them placed so it's a) bright enough to show through the tint, and b) arranging them so that the placement doesn't look clumsy and provide uneven light. I'll post pics soon...

Would still love to know where I can buy a red shell. Anyone? I'll probably post it in the WTB section once I've been around here for 30+ days. LOL

Since my basement is home to arcades and kiosks, I'm trying to use clear lit shells and afterglow controllers on everything to give it an arcade feel in the dark. I'd use the NCSX blue if not for the PS2 I have already being clear/blue with blue afterglows.

...if you ever want to sell your red unit ;)

AX

Pretty awesome, I have always been a fan of led mods but don't feel comfortable in my ability to do that without screwing something important up. Looks really cool though and keep up the good work. :)

Finally found some pics of other systems that I modded over the years. I thought I'd lost them, but I found them in a poorly labeled folder while cleaning up my C drive.

Here's a Gamecube that I modded forever ago. EL wire throughout, one-off clear lid, and blue LED power indicator swap.

cube5.jpg

DSC00986.jpg

cube1.jpg

cube2.jpg

cube3.jpg

cube4.jpg

This was a Neo Geo MVS that I consoleafied. It had a translucent black plexi top and I stenciled the Neo Geo logo on the underside and had red EL film that came on with the power switch. You couldn't see the logo (well, barely) until you powered it up. I wish I had a pic of it on. Don't know why the hell I didn't snap a pic of that :(

DSC01004.jpg

I think I may have to make another 'Cube with a clear lid. That was fun, and compact lighting just keeps getting smaller and brighter. Using stuff from today as opposed to stuff from 10 years ago would prolly give me a really cool result...

Did another recently.

Looks like a pretty normal black Dreamcast, right?

DSC02151.jpg

Shazam!

DSC02149.jpg

DSC02146.jpg

Used a crappy old pink shell that is otherwise useless to me, tinted it, added an LED strip, done!

I love these things, plus, they're already wired up for 12V :D

DSC02152.jpg

Stole a connector from a busted old SNES and wired it up to the power board connection posts.

DSC02143.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

This thing actually had some red EL rope in it years ago, hence the old, crusty glue residue :/ Everything seems to be working, now just grab the Dremel and cut the case a bit here and there in order to make room for the new lighting.

DSC02141.jpg

DSC02140.jpg

This is the only pic I have of it when it was still pink (of course I totally neglected to take pics of the damned thing before I tinted it. D'oh!)

DSC00528.jpg

You can see the EL rope under the lid even though it's not on. That stuff looks nice, but it's not very bright. It woulda been pretty useless in the case with the dark tint on it. Hell, even the super bright-ass LEDs don't totally fill the case with light.

Anywho, more to come. I think I'm gonna make a one-off housing for an N64. The guts are so tiny and simple for that system. Should be easy to shove it into almost anything ;)

Right now, I think I have about 5-6 (at least two are completely disassembled). I've got two that I use to actually play games (the yellow and black one above and a normal white one) and a few, like this one, that I just tinker with.

Nice, I have been looking for one for cheap, made before Oct. 2000 for its....... extra abilities. Do you normally find them at pawn shops or any certain area? Also, if you are interested in trading one made before Oct. 2000 let me know. :)

Well, supposedly they're the only ones that will easily play imports and backups without any hardware mods, but I've heard very mixed opinions about the subject. I.e. I've heard of people with post Oct 2000 machines that will work in that way, and pre-Oct 2000 machines that won't :/

But, it seems that the pre systems are the most likely to allow for this.

The two that I use are launch consoles (one JP, one US), so they are most assuredly pre-Oct 2000 boxes. I'll check the rest. They're all frankestiened to some degree at this point, so I can't rely on the serial numbers. I'll have to check the boards.

Now put a Sega Saturn into a toaster. An LED toaster. That seems like a good project, right? >.>..A feasible project, right?....

If you seriously want a saturn in a toaster, then I'm your man. Just pick out the roaster model that you're thinking of ;)

Or you could put a caming PC into an old NES. I have seen them online but I don't think they were good enough to run games other than from an emulator. As for the October 2000 Dreamcasts I never heard that. I was always told that with most action replays or gamesharks you could play imports. Never bought an import and only one I wanted to was some shooting game on the N64.

I started on an N64 the other day. I'll have pics tomorrow. It's going to be completely one-off, not just the old LEDS-in-a-shell bit ;)

[quote name='wiggyx']I started on an N64 the other day. I'll have pics tomorrow. It's going to be completely one-off, not just the old LEDS-in-a-shell bit ;)[/QUOTE]

Man, I gotta get back on this project. It's just sitting here taunting me...

Anyway, Super FX chip compatible Game Genie is 100% done and working like a charm :D

Modded shell
DSC02292.jpg

FX board definitely fits now
DSC02293.jpg

Yanked some pins from the donor Genie and started adding them. 1 down, 15 to go...
DSC02296.jpg

...Aaaaaaand done with the pinning :)
DSC02297.jpg

Sorry bud, I gotta cut ya' good
DSC02300.jpg

Dissected
DSC02301.jpg

Lots o' little wires
DSC02305.jpg

Starting to come together now
DSC02306.jpg

And pretty much done save for putting her clothes back on ;)
DSC02308.jpg

DSC02309.jpg

DSC02310.jpg

DSC02311.jpg

And here it is in action!

http://youtu.be/ywWacDGcEA4

Cool way of setting up pics so we can see what was going on. I gotta say, you do some pretty cool and interesting things with your mods. :)

Thanks! I have a good time doing this sort of thing. I probably won't use it much, if at all, but it's just fun to challenge myself with something like this :)

The N64 project is a BIG challenge for me, which is part of why I'm putting it off. Hopefully I'll feel inspired to get going on it soon...

I did not know that the Game Genie didn't work with Super FX games. I think the only one I ever owned was the NES one and even that was sort of left at my house in the mid-90s.

I don't know if I could ever see myself getting into modding consoles, but I'd love to restore an arcade cabinet someday. One of the old red Neo Geo MVS 4-slots would be incredible to have. So many cheap games for it.

I totally want to get into making/fixing cabinets at some point. It's just a matter of finding the space to do so :/

I think the space issue would be part of the appeal of working with a multi-slot Neo Geo cabinet. Once it was clean, up, and running, I'd have access to an ocean of great games that would require relatively little work to swap out. Although to get the real arcade experience, I'd have to get all the little headers for each different game. I think it would be worth it though.

I could actually start collecting the MVS carts now before they start to vanish into the mists.

Yes, it is a HUGE part of the appeal. I have room in the man cave/basement, but I need to rip out this ancient, useless bar that came with the house when we bought it. I'll have room for about 7-8 games if I do that :D

Those carts are DIRT cheap right now! Grabbing some would be a really good idea. Collectors are really getting into the MVS console scene, and that only adds competition to the bidding arena that is eBay.

Oh man, I'm so excited! I have this Japanese NGPC, the super awesome smaller revision, and it's had a broken pin in the cartridge bay since I got it (for free). So, I finally got around to an attempted repair this morning and it was a total success! Woo-hoo! I had to steal a pin from a Dreamcast controller VMU connector (don't worry, the controller was already just a spare parts unit) and give it a little love to make it fit and work, but it did indeed work!

Thank you, Dreamcast controller :)

DSC02583.jpg

Which one of these is not like the other...

DSC02584.jpg

So, not a mod in the traditional sense, but I was excited to get it up-and-running, so here it is ;)

I sold a bunch of stuff that I modded when I went back to college, but recently I sorta get attached to the stuff that I mod. If the price was right, then I'd definitely sell. I could use the money for the SNES shell project anyway ;)

bread's done
Back