Was bored, did mod.

• Please log in to reply
694 replies to this topic

#31 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

Since your buying some lots, you can try something like a DC in Saturn shell. Or maybe make yourself one of these.

Posted Image
Posted Image
http://www.grapplemo...yevtakayama.gif

Removed IMG tags due to sig guideline violations.

#32 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:36 AM

I started on an N64 the other day. I'll have pics tomorrow. It's going to be completely one-off, not just the old LEDS-in-a-shell bit ;)

#33 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Saves the World!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:52 AM

Sega Satoaster done yet? :D

#34 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:19 AM

LOL! Haven't quite gotten to that one yet...

#35 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, you old fart gamers know what I'm up to ;)

Posted Image

#36 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:00 AM

I started on an N64 the other day. I'll have pics tomorrow. It's going to be completely one-off, not just the old LEDS-in-a-shell bit ;)

Man, I gotta get back on this project. It's just sitting here taunting me...

Anyway, Super FX chip compatible Game Genie is 100% done and working like a charm :D

Modded shell
Posted Image

FX board definitely fits now
Posted Image

Yanked some pins from the donor Genie and started adding them. 1 down, 15 to go...
Posted Image

...Aaaaaaand done with the pinning :)
Posted Image

Sorry bud, I gotta cut ya' good
Posted Image

Dissected
Posted Image

Lots o' little wires
Posted Image

Starting to come together now
Posted Image

And pretty much done save for putting her clothes back on ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

And here it is in action!

#37 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Cool way of setting up pics so we can see what was going on. I gotta say, you do some pretty cool and interesting things with your mods. :)

#38 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Thanks! I have a good time doing this sort of thing. I probably won't use it much, if at all, but it's just fun to challenge myself with something like this :)

The N64 project is a BIG challenge for me, which is part of why I'm putting it off. Hopefully I'll feel inspired to get going on it soon...

#39 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

I did not know that the Game Genie didn't work with Super FX games. I think the only one I ever owned was the NES one and even that was sort of left at my house in the mid-90s.

I don't know if I could ever see myself getting into modding consoles, but I'd love to restore an arcade cabinet someday. One of the old red Neo Geo MVS 4-slots would be incredible to have. So many cheap games for it.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#40 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

I totally want to get into making/fixing cabinets at some point. It's just a matter of finding the space to do so :/

#41 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

I think the space issue would be part of the appeal of working with a multi-slot Neo Geo cabinet. Once it was clean, up, and running, I'd have access to an ocean of great games that would require relatively little work to swap out. Although to get the real arcade experience, I'd have to get all the little headers for each different game. I think it would be worth it though.

I could actually start collecting the MVS carts now before they start to vanish into the mists.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#42 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Yes, it is a HUGE part of the appeal. I have room in the man cave/basement, but I need to rip out this ancient, useless bar that came with the house when we bought it. I'll have room for about 7-8 games if I do that :D

Those carts are DIRT cheap right now! Grabbing some would be a really good idea. Collectors are really getting into the MVS console scene, and that only adds competition to the bidding arena that is eBay.

#43 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Saves the World!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:35 AM

How's that Sega Satoaster doing now? :D
http://www.goozex.co...ms/t/19506.aspx

It's cheap to ship to/from Canada. Please take a look at Magiic's Magiical Shipping Guide.
For info on Canadian Customs and Tax exemption check Here, Here and Here
Sig stolen for spreading wisdom purposes from Maigoyume

#44 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:14 AM

Been too busy with this...

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=321076

;)

But, I just so I'm adding something new to the thread, I did an S-vid mod to one of my mini SNES systems as well as LED power switch mod.

Posted Image

And I'm hacking up a non-SP GBA with some LEDs right now actually. What a PITA. I'll post pics when I'm done.

#45 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

Oh man, I'm so excited! I have this Japanese NGPC, the super awesome smaller revision, and it's had a broken pin in the cartridge bay since I got it (for free). So, I finally got around to an attempted repair this morning and it was a total success! Woo-hoo! I had to steal a pin from a Dreamcast controller VMU connector (don't worry, the controller was already just a spare parts unit) and give it a little love to make it fit and work, but it did indeed work!

Thank you, Dreamcast controller :)

Posted Image

Which one of these is not like the other...

Posted Image

So, not a mod in the traditional sense, but I was excited to get it up-and-running, so here it is ;)

#46 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

GBA phat, SP front light and anti-glare, adjustable brightness :)

Posted Image

#47 Danger Zone: Archer

Danger Zone: Archer

Not really here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

http://i86.photobuck...ff/DSC02149.jpg
just wow....have ever try to sell one of these mod systems?

gt+Atheist+don+t+believe+in+anything+rel

#48 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

I sold a bunch of stuff that I modded when I went back to college, but recently I sorta get attached to the stuff that I mod. If the price was right, then I'd definitely sell. I could use the money for the SNES shell project anyway ;)

#49 catabarez

catabarez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

I would consider buying some of them off of you :-P
Posted Image

#50 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:29 AM

Wireless SNES controllers :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by wiggyx, 06 July 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#51 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

Awesome stuff as always!

Well, supposedly they're the only ones that will easily play imports and backups without any hardware mods, but I've heard very mixed opinions about the subject. I.e. I've heard of people with post Oct 2000 machines that will work in that way, and pre-Oct 2000 machines that won't :/

But, it seems that the pre systems are the most likely to allow for this.

The two that I use are launch consoles (one JP, one US), so they are most assuredly pre-Oct 2000 boxes. I'll check the rest. They're all frankestiened to some degree at this point, so I can't rely on the serial numbers. I'll have to check the boards.

I could of course be wrong, but I think all Dreamcasts can play burned/imported games. I've certainly never seen one that couldn't. I think anyone who couldn't get it to work on their console was probably doing something wrong.

#52 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Wireless SNES controllers :)

WHY MUST YOU TORMENT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#53 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

I love the Neo Geo Pocket Light. That was a system that should have lasted much longer. Or at least gotten an english release of its Ogre Battle game.

#54 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

Awesome stuff as always!

I could of course be wrong, but I think all Dreamcasts can play burned/imported games. I've certainly never seen one that couldn't. I think anyone who couldn't get it to work on their console was probably doing something wrong.

Thank you, sir. I most definitely value your opinion :)

That's what I always thought and have experienced, but I've heard so many conflicting opinions/experiences :/

WHY MUST YOU TORMENT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Well, I do plan on offering a wireless mod along with the new shell. In fact, I'm building the prototype right now ;)

I love the Neo Geo Pocket Light. That was a system that should have lasted much longer. Or at least gotten an english release of its Ogre Battle game.

I 101% agree with you. I blame it on being linked to the Dreamcast, which of course was also killed WAY before it should have been :(

#55 Boutsisavath

Boutsisavath

I tell ya hwat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

Hello I enjoy your work. It's pretty awesome. Would you ever consider doing projects for other CAGs? I have an old SNES controller with only one button that works. The black material covering the wires are kinda torn and in bad condition, but I tested it and that one button worked. I also have a Nintendo 64 that works fine, but it doesn't have a jumper pak. I used mine to test it. There's only one problem with it; the reset button has a screw in it. I believe a previous owner installed the screw to enable the reset button. I can take pictures if you're interested and would like to discuss the matter.

#56 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

Yeah, snap a pic or two and post or pm them :)

#57 Boutsisavath

Boutsisavath

I tell ya hwat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:27 AM

Yeah, snap a pic or two and post or pm them :)

Here they are. I also found an RF adapter with no pin.

Spoiler

#58 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:31 AM

Wow, those look pretty rough. The controller can easily be fixed, as long as nothing is damaged inside.

The N64, no idea what that screw is actually doing there. What happens when you remove the screw?

The RF switch is junk, toss it. It's easily fixed, but really not worth it IMO. It would probably cost you more to ship it to me, have me fix it, and then pay for shipping back than it's worth. If you wanna try and fix it yourself, I can post a parts list, but like I said, it's not worth it. You can grab another used one for a few bucks, tops.

#59 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

Damn, somebody hated their N64.

#60 catabarez

catabarez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

You should try a wireless Dreamcast controller! I would buy several :D
Posted Image