• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#571 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

:) Can't wait for that.

Also since I just thought of this have you ever thought of using a 3-d printer to do custom shells or something of that nature.

Way ahead of ya ;)

EB01_zps12cadfd1.jpg

EB03_zps705a35b7.jpg

The last time I inquired about these items, I wasn't in a situation where I could be spending money on a luxury mod like this. I also only had a single original GBA, the first GBA that I ever acquired, the day that the system first launched. I have taken very good care of it, and its in pristine condition. I honestly didn't feel like modding it, not even to improve it. I want to keep that first GBA spotless, with no additional changes.

But thankfully my situation has changed, and thanks to eBay I got my hands on several old, cast-out GBA systems at very reasonable prices. And these dusty, dirty, damaged GBAs are in need of an overhaul. I've put in my order for two of the GBA backlight kits. (one 32 pin and one 40 pin) I went ahead and sprung for two of those scratch-resistant glass lenses. Just couldn't pass that up.

I have new external cases on order from Hong Kong. As soon as they get here I'll crack these units apart and make them shine again. I'll post some before/after shots when I'm finished.

Cool! 

A word of advice about the aftermarket shells, toss the buttons and use the originals (just clean em up).  They're made of really cheap-o plastic and the R/L buttons sometimes don't even fit and work properly :/

#572 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

Way ahead of ya ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image

:drool: o my. That's amazing.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#573 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

:drool: o my. That's amazing.

No kidding. That is an incredibly hot bit of cartridge love. Make sure you post here when the next batch is ready for ordering, I will jump all over that. And thanks for the tip about the GBA buttons. I'll keep that in mind when I start refurbishing my GBAs. The feel of the buttons is important. I accidentally acquired a few too many GBAs off of eBay. If the first two units I improve turn out well, I might be coming back for more of those kits.

#574 catabarez

catabarez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

Wiggy. I need one of those.

Posted Image

#575 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

My replacement GBA shells from Hong Kong arrived earlier than I had been expecting! I've got two back-lit ultra-bright screens on order for the two SPs I'm cleaning up. I dismantled one of them last night, cleaned it up, and tested it out. It had come without any battery. (which was why I was able to get it cheap) I had gotten a couple of replacement batteries over the weekend, and tested it out with a fresh cell. Thankfully, it turned on and ran just fine. The screen was all glitchy, but I had been intending to replace that anyway. Once the new screen arrives I'll be able to finish the refurb on the SPs and have two shiny ultra-bright SPs.

The two replacement original GBA shells were also in the package. As soon as wiggyx's kits arrive, I'll be able to finish refurbishing those units. If they get here before Thursday, I'll be able to spend some of the holiday weekend on this project.

#576 Captain_Insano16

Captain_Insano16

Has a ton of stuff FS/FT!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hey Wiggy,

Have you ever made a replacement battery door for a NeoGeo Pocket Color? It seems they are hard to come by, so that might be a good idea of something you can whip up with your magic wand!?!?

Just curious as I am in the market for one, I picked up a cheap NGPC and it was missing the AA battery cover....

Checkout my FS/FT/Wants list! :bouncy:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in all types of old school games - NES, SEGA, ATARI, TG-16, NEOGEO, ETC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also want Transformers or Gobots

#577 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

The problem with printed parts is that they aren't nearly as durable as injection molded parts, and something like a battery door with a locking tab will be especially difficult to produce in a way that it won't snap the first time you use it :(

You're actually like the 4th person to ask about that. It's a bummer that there are no aftermarket replacements for them :/

#578 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

Wiggyx, where would you go buy some ribbon cable? After futzing around with my Sega Saturn, I worry that I may mess up the ribbon cable. I imagine I would want a foot long cable, but the specifications on the ribbon state: BANDO-S E66085 AWM 2896.  I've tried finding a 21 pin version, though they probably sell them in varying quantities so I would have to buy one with more pins.

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#579 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:36 AM

No idea. Those things are usually made for specific applications. But, if you're willing to do some surgery, then SCSI cable is great for repair jobs ;)

#580 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hey Wiggyx, I finished refurbishing one of my GBAs with the kit I ordered from you. It's working well. The finished unit looks great, runs great, and the glass lens in particular is very keen. I'll see about posting some pics over the weekend. I might be refurbishing the other unit over the weekend as well.

#581 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Saturn cables use FPC and FFC cables. Heh, now I gotta figure out where to buy them and how much to cut to make it fit.

Posted Image

#582 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

Giant switch box is wired up for action!

null_zpse0aeef3b.jpg

Component:

Wii/Wuu

PS3

S-vid:

SNES

Genesis

Dreamcast

Saturn

Composite:

TG-16

null_zps71aad00a.jpg

#583 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

Well I'm back for the first time since February and this is the only thread I've read though...Congrats on the baby boy Wiggy! Impressive work as always.

#584 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Thanks and thanks!

#585 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Fantastic work wiggyx. That is just a monster, and your TV is scarier to think about. I have a 27ish Trinitron, and it works fine for me, though I have to get it really fixed since the capacitors making a screeching sound.

Do you plan on doing some insane video mods to your systems, like putting a Sony encoder into the SNES to get a sharper S-video image?  And don't forget to get RGB man.

Posted Image

#586 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

Nothing insane. The SNES mini and Genny 3 are S-vid modded. Based on what I've seen from the Sony encoder mod, I don't think it's worth it. If it were a really simple mod, then I'd do it. But it's a lot of work for what seems to be only a modest upgrade.

I'm never gonna bother with RGB. Just too much hassle to make use of here in the USA IMO :(

I'm not a super nazi when it comes to video quality. I wanna get the best image that I can within reason. At some point the mods become really difficult and sometimes pricey, and the output differences aren't significant enough to convince me to go through the effort. The only sorta PITA mod I still want to do is S-vid on the TG-16. It looks like absolute crap through composite :/

#587 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

I imagine the TurboGrafix's composite might be as bad as the Sega Saturn.  I wonder if anybody made a mod to fix that, though the S-Video is a lot better.  I had to install a S-Video port in mine, since I didn't know if the 10 pin connector on Digikey was the same for the Saturn.

Posted Image

#588 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:40 AM

Yeah, the Saturn mod is nice and easy (since it already outputs it), but the TG16 s-vid mod is a pretty significant mod. I'm sorta scared of it :(

#589 catabarez

catabarez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

What kind of switch box is that?

Posted Image

#590 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Big Bertha.

Posted Image

#591 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

LOL!

It's an Extron. Take a look on eBay. They're typically used by television stations and the like. They're made to order and you'll be buying them used, so it may take a bit to find one that matches your wants/needs. Mine has 5 coax inputs (via BNC connectors) per channel unit with 8 channles and 4 outputs, of which I use 3. One for Conponent, one for S-vid, and one for Composite.

#592 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

Woah they are indeed monsters. http://www.ebay.com/...=item51af8552c7

So $150ish is a fair price for one of titans?

And what the deal with some of the models? Some look like they need a special plug to jack into the box.

Posted Image

#593 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

That's way too pricey, plus it doesn't have enough channels per input (looks like 2, which would mean composite video and mono audio at best). I got mine for about 50 bucks.

They typically use what are known as "BNC" connectors. Adapters for RCA and S-vid are readily available, though the latter are a tad pricey (like 10-15 bucks each).

#594 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Saturn cables use FPC and FFC cables. Heh, now I gotta figure out where to buy them and how much to cut to make it fit.

This what you need?

http://www.segastyle...t&product_id=52

#595 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

But it's not long enough for the 64 pin. :(

Posted Image

#596 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

Damn :/

So I randomly made it into a German gaming mag.  No idea how that happened, but according to their map, I live in New Mexico :P

WP_20130725_002_zpsf4f33361.jpg

#597 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

Considering you're doing some gray market thing, let's just say you are in New Mexico. :wink:

Posted Image

#598 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hahahahahahaha!  Good one :D

#599 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hey WiggyX.

I finished installing the backlight GBA kits I ordered from you. Unfortunately, I believe there is some manner of problem with the 32-pin one. The 40 pin model I ordered worked without any hiccups, and it looks fantastic. Bold, bright, and clear. The GBA I refurbished with that kit looks and runs great.

But the 32 pin model I tried to install seems to be flawed somehow. I think it must have something to do with the cable. I tried installing it on multiple GBAs, and tested it with different back-light screens. The problem persists, even with hardware I know to be functioning properly otherwise. The issue that is cropping up is that the screen is not as bright as it ought to be, and all the colors are washed out. There's also a bit of a ghosting effect whenever the screen scrolls, or there is noticeable motion happening. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

#600 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

32 pin?  Do you know how to adjust the potentiometer on the back of the PC board?

edit: are you the guy that sent a message on FB and an email about this?