Was bored, did mod.

• Please log in to reply
694 replies to this topic

#181 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

It would be nice if there was a switch to adjust brightness, but even having one permanent backlight setting is fine enough. And what's the deal with adjusting the lugnut thing for picture quality?

Batsugunner.png

#182 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

That is something that I'll offer (2 levels of brightness). Just ordered a bunch of switches for that very purpose. I'll have pics once I have one modded.

That's a potentiometer, which is a variable resistor. Think of it like a dimmer switch in your house.

#183 SnesGuy

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:44 AM

When you get light kits going I might buy one to try to cram it into my game gear instead of the damn light tube lol. I also picked up an original GBA a while back that would be nice lit up.

Any Idea what your price point is going to be on them?

#184 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:07 AM

If wiggy could improve the game gear weight issue that would be awesome. I would much rather have a light gamegear, than and gameboy system. As usual, I want 20% for the idea and a free unit when they go into production...and an official thanks on the boot up screen.

#185 SnesGuy

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:09 AM

I actually love the game gear as is. Its a very a sega thing.
When I have my game gear with the screen magnifier and battery pack on I feel like a mad scientist. All I want is improved battery life =P

#186 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

When you get light kits going I might buy one to try to cram it into my game gear instead of the damn light tube lol. I also picked up an original GBA a while back that would be nice lit up.

Any Idea what your price point is going to be on them?

I do, but I don't want to post anything until I have the parts in hand. I already get bombarded with enough requests, and having that info out there without the ability to actually follow through would sorta suck. I should have parts in about 2 weeks (Chinese holiday until the 7th, so won't ship until after then).

If wiggy could improve the game gear weight issue that would be awesome. I would much rather have a light gamegear, than and gameboy system. As usual, I want 20% for the idea and a free unit when they go into production...and an official thanks on the boot up screen.

The batteries are the only thing about the GG that are heavy. The unit without batteries is pretty light.

Also, already working on lighting solutions for the GG ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I actually love the game gear as is. Its a very a sega thing.
When I have my game gear with the screen magnifier and battery pack on I feel like a mad scientist. All I want is improved battery life =P

That's pretty much where I'm at with it too.

#187 SnesGuy

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

That's awesome Wiggy. Now I just need to get around to buying capacitors, at this point I own 4 or 5 GG's and only 1 works lol. I kept buying large Sega lots on eBay.

#188 salt_peanuts

salt_peanuts

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

Is there a way to get back or front lit Neo Geo Pocket Colors?

#189 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hell, I wonder if he can do it for Wonderswan. lol.

Batsugunner.png

#190 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

That's awesome Wiggy. Now I just need to get around to buying capacitors, at this point I own 4 or 5 GG's and only 1 works lol. I kept buying large Sega lots on eBay.

I often do the same LOL!

Is there a way to get back or front lit Neo Geo Pocket Colors?

Posted Image

Hell, I wonder if he can do it for Wonderswan. lol.

Posted Image

Will have kits for sale very soon...

#191 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

I'm learning from this thread that if anyone asks wiggy if something is possible, he makes it possible.

So I wonder if he can give me super powers. Or an insta-ice cream machine. That's FRONT LIT. FRONT LIT. OR BACK LIT. WHICHEVER IS BETTER, BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#192 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Haha! Well, I'll try most anything. I don't always succeed. Those wireless controllers are still kicking my ass.

It would be nice if there was a switch to adjust brightness, but even having one permanent backlight setting is fine enough. And what's the deal with adjusting the lugnut thing for picture quality?

Just got one modded for this today (was waiting for parts). I'll post a vid or pics later :)

Also did these for a buddy on cover project. Had a gross Beast Wars and rough CBFD, so I canibalized a couple of lame sports games to make him these.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Didn't touch the original shells for these two games. Just in case game collecting evolves to a place like collectible cars have where "barnyard finds" are now often more valuable than restored models.

#193 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Totally cool sir.
I'm guessing you probably modded a handheld system to accept the input of an arcade stick or game controller at one point like this guy:
I imagine that the PS1 thing involved using a circuit board hacked into the circle pad, but for the arcade stick, if it different or the wires were directly soldered on to the contacts on the circuit boards.

My actual wish is that I could one day use a Wii Classic Controller on different systems like a Dreamcast or PS2, but I'll have to take a course in electronics first. lol.

Batsugunner.png

#194 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Hmm, never considered anything like that. I do want to make a GBA SP mini arcade cabinet at some point, and that's actually really easy with a little soldering and some parts. I'm sure that 3DS mod is WAY more complex than that though. Might be out of my league.

#195 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, I tried to wrap my head around how that guy could've done such a thing. Maybe he did take the 3DS apart and soldered onto the contact points. What's even strange is that in a later video he built some kind of contraption that mimicked the circle pad.

Batsugunner.png

#196 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Man, that guy made all sorts of wacky stuff LOL! I dig the 3DS street fighter stick, even though its totally giant and absurd, not to mention that you sit so far away that the 3D is useless :P

I'll have to check more of his stuff when I'm back at my computer. I don't believe that the 3DS has an input that would allow a controller to interact with it directly. I've gotta imagine that he's doing some soldering inside the 3DS's themselves, like you were saying with the original contact pads. I know that's what I'm doing with my Franken Gameboy phat SP. it's about the easiest way I can think of. Just don't know how he translates the analogue signal (if he has to at all).

Actually, now that I'm watching the vid again, the wacky wire loom that he has on the PS controller leads me to believe that he's done exactly that. You would need to wire directly to the PS controller board, and that would leave you with 2 wires for EVERY button used. He'd have to re-harness all those new wires.

#197 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Hey wiggy!

Is there any way to fix a game gear with a line across the screen that is halving the image and displaying it on the wrong x axis?

Basically there is a horizontal line across the screen and it is splitting the image, but the two halves of the image do not line up.

#198 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Wiggy, I've got a new project for you:
http://tinycartridge...ip-pro-canceled

Nyko dropped the ball and now you're our only hope!

#199 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Just got one modded for this today (was waiting for parts). I'll post a vid or pics later :)

Sorry this took a few days. Been SOOOOO busy.

I want to take pre-orders for these kits ASAP. Does anyone know where I should post about that on this forum?

edit: Here's a mockup package design :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by wiggyx, 18 October 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#200 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

She's a beauty! I'm anxious to see the final price (and whether or not I can afford it). Also, is the box going to be recyclable or is it going to be coated in plastic? I would probably want to keep the box either way, but I like to know these things.

As for the appropriate section...I'm actually not sure. People will give you a hard time for sure, but there is the main Deals section, which is clearly the most popular. Maybe ask a mod beforehand if it would be okay. The Contest section is also fairly popular. You could run a small contest there to promote it. Either give one away and encourage/ask people to place pre-orders or, better yet, make it so pre-ordering is the only method of entering. Heh.

And, of course, don't forget to make me a circle pad battery pack...

#201 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Wow they're a beauty, even on the box alone. I hope you take money orders too, since I'm wary of Paypal, now that they're making its customers use arbitration. http://consumerist.c...tration-clause/

Batsugunner.png

#202 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Wiggy, when you are done with this, we need to get you an application for sainthood, if not godhood.

I demand a price, a pre-order link, Kickstarter, and can send a vial of my blood immediately.

My blood tastes like cherry syrup; it's delicious and is accepted in certain uncivilized portions of the world as the equivalent of demonskin (which is very, very valuable).

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#203 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

Looks like this could be the start of a new empire.

Batsugunner.png

#204 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

Wiggy, when you are done with this, we need to get you an application for sainthood, if not godhood.

I demand a price, a pre-order link, Kickstarter, and can send a vial of my blood immediately.

My blood tastes like cherry syrup; it's delicious and is accepted in certain uncivilized portions of the world as the equivalent of demonskin (which is very, very valuable).

Could I get some of that blood on my ice cream?
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#205 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:44 AM

Man, why won't multiquote work? Especially sucks since I'm on my phone. Blerg.

@ZombieToast - that 3DS add-on is WAY outta my league at this point. Plus, I'm already beyond overwhelmed with other stuff that I'm doing :/

Paper is NOT plastic coated. I'm not 100% sure about its recyclability, but I can't imagine that it's not.

Thanks for the tips on where to list. I'll try and find a mod to ask. I feel like I never see mods post in the old school section.

@detectiveconan - thank you! I may still make revisions/tweak it, but it would still stay pretty dang close to where it's at right now.

I can accept credit cards via my Square account. I haven't looked into web integration, but I can take orders by phone at the very least :)

@Strell - I <3 u, as usual :)

Price for the kit will likely be 60 plus shipping (which will be cheap since it only weighs a few ounces), 90-100 for me to mod yours for you, and 110-130ish for a pre-modded unit (sorta depends on what prices I can find since I'd be buying used consoles, obviously).

Not set in stone, but it'll be close to that. The kit will include the adapter ribbon cable, new SP 101 LCD, 2-way brightness switch & all the wire needed to put it all together. Instructions will be in the form of a PDF in the spirit of Eco-friendliness :)

The switch doesn't need to be installed (it will mean that you can't use the GameCube link cable or anything else that uses the slots on top), but it's in there either way. You'll just have to choose between one of the 2 brightness options.

The casing does need a moderate amount of modding (i.e. cutting plastic bits) to make everything fit. It can be done with an Xacto, but a dremel is WAY more helpful. Obviously that sort of modding is permanent, but the original screen can still be reinstalled at some poin if you should ever want to.

No link, but I will set something up in the next day or two for pre orders even if its just me giving you PayPal info or whatever via PM.

No Kickatarter for this one. No need, thank god! I'm reconsidering my choice for initial console shell replacement. I'm going to need to sell a LOT to make it commercially viable, and the SNES mini may be too small a market. Maybe I'll do the SNES phat or Neo Geo MVS. I plan on purchasing a small rapid prototype machine in the next 6 months or so, which will speed that whole process up a LOT!

Does the vial of blood come in a collector's edition? If so, I'll take that option please :P

@detectiveconan (again) - man, I hope so! I love me some old school gaming and would love to do all I can to keep it alive :D

I tell you what I'd really love to do, make new SNES games. Seeing Nightmare Busters a few months back got me all amped about a project like that. But, I cannot even prevend to tackle something like that on my own, so it's a project that'll have to wait for a while. I really do hope something like that will be possible for me at a point. We'll see...

#206 SnesGuy

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

She's a beauty! I'm anxious to see the final price (and whether or not I can afford it). Also, is the box going to be recyclable or is it going to be coated in plastic? I would probably want to keep the box either way, but I like to know these things.

As for the appropriate section...I'm actually not sure. People will give you a hard time for sure, but there is the main Deals section, which is clearly the most popular. Maybe ask a mod beforehand if it would be okay. The Contest section is also fairly popular. You could run a small contest there to promote it. Either give one away and encourage/ask people to place pre-orders or, better yet, make it so pre-ordering is the only method of entering. Heh.

And, of course, don't forget to make me a circle pad battery pack...

I'm In the same boat, I want to pre-order one, Just waiting to hear the final price. =P

edit - jeeze, didnt read the last page. $60 is a bit on the high end for me, but I might have to just do it :P

edit 2- also I completely believe your shell project should be an snes phat. I can't even find a mini for my collection.
(oddly I found a second model NES the other day for cheap. wooo)

Edited by SnesGuy, 19 October 2012 - 03:03 AM.

#207 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

I don't need to raise funds though. The parts are literally on their way. I just need to finish the manual and make up more packaging :)

I'll do a kickstarter when I actually need the money to get something going, like the console shells.

#208 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

Man, why won't multiquote work? Especially sucks since I'm on my phon@ZombieToast - that 3DS add-on is WAY outta my league at this point. Plus, I'm already beyond overwhelmed with other stuff that I'm doing :/

Paper is NOT plastic coated. I'm not 100% sure about its recyclability, but I can't imagine that it's not.

Thanks for the tips on where to list. I'll try and find a mod to ask. I feel like I never see mods post in the old school section.

Yay for no plastic coating. As long as it isn't waterproof, it should be recyclable.

And I'm pretty sure that 3DS add-on wouldn't be beyond your abilities. In fact, if you didn't care about the appearance, I imagine you could do the majority of the work with a Dremel. It's basically just a Circle Pad Pro with a Nyko Power Pak +. The problem is that the two things can't be used at once; they don't fit because the extended battery pack is too thick and it gets in the way of the Circle Pad Pro. I'm guessing you could probably just cut away some of the plastic in the CPP to make room for the battery. If not, then at worst, it would need an improved case. I may actually try it myself in the near future when I have the funds, but I know I won't be able to make it as purty as you would.

#209 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

I'd rather see one made out of wood, though with 3D printers the casing shouldn't be that hard. Isn't there a CAG Woodworker?

Batsugunner.png

#210 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

So this is a good place to ask:

I've always wanted a Dremel. I finally bought one about...let's say within the last two years. At the time, I had a computer case whose PSU broke (damn Starcraft 2). So I got a new beefy one under the guise of telling myself OH YEAH, when I build a badass new compy this baby is going to be like Iron Man's power core. Unfortunately, the case had a sort of "cage" for the PSU, and it had a lipped edge that caused the new PSU to not quite fit.

I decided the best option was to buy a Dremel and cut off this lip, because no one will see the damn thing anyway since it's inside the case, so it doesn't matter if I don't really know what I'm doing. I have a brother-in-law who builds houses and has spent his whole life around tools, so I got a little insight from him. He told me to get the higher cost discs that were designed to cut metal, for example.

So I got all the stuff and finally sat down to do the cutting. I got about halfway through - changing discs every few minutes as they wore down - until the Dremel just stopped. I kept trying to turn it back on, but nothing happened. I didn't smell burning, so I didn't think it overheated. The power light kept coming on with the switch, but it just wouldn't work.

I couldn't return it because I'd bought it months before on Amazon, and had been lazy in getting around to the project, so it was beyond the window of time for a refund. I can take the hit on that and know that I basically violated one of my personal mantras (I always try to test everything I buy immediately upon receiving it, so that if something is wrong, I can return it quickly), so I didn't have anyone to blame but myself.

SO, point here is simply trying to get some education on a Dremel. Which one do I get, where do I buy it from, what accessories does it need, etc. It would be GREAT if there was some kind of website I could go to in order to get a primer on how to use it. I'm talking super basic total noob stuff - how to change bits, how to know what discs to get, maybe even some simple projects to sort of teach myself. Hell, just knowing how to cut a straight line, since I'm really picky about making sure things look clean and nice. You go to a store and there's an entire row devoted to the Dremel, and I don't know what in the world all the little attachments and discs do.

A Dremel seems like this thing I should have and know how to use for geeky projects. I don't think I'll ever, say, make a portable N64 or anything. I would settle for (and I can't find links right now) simple little hacks, like 1) Making a Wii Classic Controller Pro have a battery pack and a bluetooth adapter, and using it with tablets/phones, 2) Hacking a "find phone" beeper into a television remote control so that I can find the damn thing when I lose it, etc. After building up some skill and confidence, then I'd be willing to tackle bigger projects.

While we're at it, I need the same for soldering.

So if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. If there's a "Dremel for Dummies" book, that would work. (Which I probably should have searched for to begin with.)

Posted Image