Was bored, did mod.

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#241 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

If she isn't agreeable, wiggy probably just mods her while she sleeps.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#242 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

I was just thinking about that recent Futurama episode where Hermies modded himself.:rofl:
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#243 catabarez

catabarez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

Wiggy will you be getting the Awesome Controller? I'm wondering what you could do with it :P
Posted Image

#244 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

Wiggyx won't need to get an awesome controller, because all he needs to do is modify a SNES controller.

Batsugunner.png

#245 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hey wiggy, since you're so handy I thought I'd ask you this, have you ever had to polish plexi glass type plastic? I just got this arcade marquee and I want to make a light out of it, but the plastic is a little scratched up, just needs to be polished. I've read various things, from toothpaste to one of those car headlight repair kits, but I've had no experience personally.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#246 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Novus polish works great on cleaning up plexiglas but it all depends on how deep the scratches are.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#247 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Also, most Home Depots and similar hardware stores sell sheets of inexpensive plexiglass that can be cut with standard saws. If the scratches in question are too extensive, you could always just replace the plexiglass marquee entirely. It's up to you whether or not it would be worth replacing.

Some people prefer the purity of original hardware. But I personally don't think this applies to most arcade cabinets. The production values of "traditional" arcade cabinets are so low, that it makes no sense to preserve the original hardware. They were designed to be cheap and disposable to begin with.

#248 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Most marquees were screen printed directly onto the plexiglass so it's not just a matter of buying a new sheet and popping it in.

Also, I do think there is value in restoring an old arcade machine using as many of the original parts as you can - with a little time and patience most parts will clean up just fine. Now, if we are talking about water damage to particle board, cigarette burns, ripped t-molding or something else unsightly then by all means, replace it with something brand new that makes it look better.

I guess I'm "some people"... :)

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#249 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

I guess I'm "some people"... :)

(Shrug) There's nothing wrong with that. It's more a matter of preference than anything else.

I mainly mention because I've constructed my own custom arcade in the past, and am familiar with how expensive it would be to create an arcade cabinet from scratch. (not very) Particle board is notoriously cheap, and was always the go-to material for 90% of arcade cabinets. T-molding isn't that expensive, and you don't really need all that much of it for most cabinet designs, and the necessary controls can be bought brand-new for around $50. (for a standard 2-player cabinet)

If you already had the necessary tools, an arcade cabinet would cost less than $300 to produce. The most expensive component would be the screen.

A major reason for going with a custom cabinet rather than restoring a classic is smoke. A lot of arcade cabinets were kept in smoky environments, and the rubber and particle board has a tendency to absorb those odors. Cigarette smoke odor is notoriously difficult to clean out of rubber and plastic. If you live in a smoke-free house, a new, custom cabinet is probably the right option.

#250 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Yeah this is an original Joust marquee, it's in pretty decent shape. Javery is right, the graphics are applied directly to the plexiglass, so it can't just be replaced with new glass. Thankfully the underside with the graphics isn't really scratched, otherwise that would ruin it.

Anyway, some of the scratches are fairly deep, deep enough to be felt with my fingernail. I tried some rubbing compound I had laying around, and it certainly polished it up, but most of the scratches remain. Thinking I may have to go the sanding route and get some really fine sandpaper from the auto shops, 2000 grit or so probably.

When I'm done it should be a pretty cool light. Example: http://hacknmod.com/...arcade-marquee/

#251 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

OMG, I have a multi-quote from hell to tackle at some point soon in here LOL!

In the meantime, I haz productzzzz!

Posted Image

#252 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

In the meantime, I haz productzzzz!

It looks great! Where do I get one?

#253 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

I'll send you a pm. I don't know if I can sell stuff here or not yet, plus I don't have the webstore setup at the moment. I'll be doing it all via PayPal invoice for the time being. It works out well that way anyway. I need to help you figure out which version of the GBA you have ;)

Edited by wiggyx, 01 November 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#254 Nogib

Nogib

*squeezing* the *juice*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

I'll send you a pm. I don't know if I can sell stuff here or not yet, plus I don't have the webstore setup at the moment. I'll be doing it all via PayPal invoice for the time being. It works out well that way anyway. I need to help you figure out which version of the GBA you have ;)

If you need anymore early volunteers to buy, let me know. :D (Believe mine is a 40-pin)
End of line.

#255 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

^^^ Sending message now!

Also, anyone know who I should talk to about selling my goods here? I sent a pm to CheapyD and I haven't heard anything back. Is there someone else here that would be good to talk to?

Also, I got some more goodies packaged up today :D

Posted Image

Small update to the blog as well.

#256 dragoon99

dragoon99

Objection!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

You could always create a sales thread in the trading forum.

#257 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

Good luck getting a reply from Cheapy. Did you offer him a cut of the profits? :lol:

#258 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

You could always create a sales thread in the trading forum.

This is true, but I'd really like to be able to properly promote my products and services. I guess I could start there with a few items from my lineup. Thanks for the tip!

Good luck getting a reply from Cheapy. Did you offer him a cut of the profits? :lol:

LULZ! Anyone else that would be worth contacting? I sorta stay in the old school section exclusively, so I'm not terribly familiar with the mods (since the OG section doesn't seem to get much moderation it seems).

#259 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I propose ambassadors with a picture link to your site/this thread/etc. It's at least something. I could make one this weekend when I have some free time.

I also should/need to do the same for the Awesome controller. Have to support my fellow CAGs.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#260 geosmith12

geosmith12

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

I never made a mod to any of my consoles but I think is cool to see the effort of other persons making their consoles look the way they feel. Congrats Mate

#261 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

I propose ambassadors with a picture link to your site/this thread/etc. It's at least something. I could make one this weekend when I have some free time.

I also should/need to do the same for the Awesome controller. Have to support my fellow CAGs.

Wait, ambassadors who, wha? I feel lost. Imma shoot you a pm...

I never made a mod to any of my consoles but I think is cool to see the effort of other persons making their consoles look the way they feel. Congrats Mate

Thanks!

#262 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I'm not having any luck getting in touch with a mod, and the marketplace doesn't seem like it's really set up for what I'm trying to do (not trade known items, but rather sell custom items and unique products). So, I'm gonna post this here and hope that it's OK. If not, I'll GLADLY take it down. I can't find anything in the rules that specifically forbids it.

I've got 3 modified Gameboy Advance systems up for grabs and I'm selling 'em at a discount in order to get some business going and to show some love for one of my favorite game forums on teh webzzz :D These have all been modified to use a Gameboy Advance SP backlit screen (otherwise known as the "101"). Each unit comes in an anti-static bag. They are then cased in a pair of Universal Game Cases that have been modified to fit the purpose. The bonus is that the case not only serves as packaging, but is a great way to store the unit or take on the go, since there's extra room inside that could easily store a few of your favorite games. Each case also comes with a silica packet so that you can store your GBA in its case feel secure knowing that it's protected from moisture. A fresh model sticker and unique serial number have been applied to the back of each. I've dubbed this product the "Gambeoy Advance Light +". Anywho, here they are!

1) Orange 3rd party shell, no brightness switch (40-pin) - Normally $150.00, SALE $125.00 shipped!
2) Black 3rd party shell, 2-way brightness (32-pin) - Normally $150.00, SALE $125.00 shipped!
3) Clear Red original shell (Glacier). Candy red paint followed by a flat clear coat to protect the finish from the wear and tear of normal handling. 2-way brightness (32-pin) - Normally $???.??, SOLD!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

I also have the kits for sale as well if you'd like to modify your own.

Kits - $75.00 shipped

Posted Image

If anyone wants a reference, here's my eBay ID.

http://myworld.ebay.com/wiggyx

#263 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Oh god that red one is sexy.

Wiggy - I will reply to your PM soon enough. Didn't want you to think I'd forgotten or anything.

Posted Image

#264 lmz00

lmz00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

Not into used stuff (or handhelds in general), but I must concur that the clear red one looks pretty legit.

#265 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Man, my GBA looks so shitty compared to those. I wish I could be in a position to just hand over that much money without it being a big deal.

#266 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Oh god that red one is sexy.

Wiggy - I will reply to your PM soon enough. Didn't want you to think I'd forgotten or anything.

Thanks!

Don't worry, I totally understand.

Not into used stuff (or handhelds in general), but I must concur that the clear red one looks pretty legit.

Thanks man! That sucker sold in like 10 minutes and I posted it at 3 am Eastern O_o I think a run or red GBAs is in order...

Man, my GBA looks so shitty compared to those. I wish I could be in a position to just hand over that much money without it being a big deal.

I hear ya. That's why I modded 'em. I need the $$$, and I had a few extra GBAs sitting around, so I figured why not.

#267 pat87

pat87

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

Hey wiggy... I originally followed your posts on thecoverproject, and stumbled on your topic here.

Anyway I have a few questions.

I too have a backlit GBA (bought the same cable/lcd from zerey a while back), and it looks absolutely gorgeous. And I'm thinking about doing another one in the future. But here's my question, what's the difference between the 32pin and the 40pin connectors and screens? I was under the assumption that only the frontlit gba sp screens had the 32pin and the backlit had the 40pin.

Secondly... do you think it's possible to use a set of rechargeable batteries in the OG GBA? Yea yea, I know I could use any set of rechargeables I wanted, but hear me out. One of the big things I noticed (and forgot about) when I returned to gaming on the GBA was the lack of being able to recharge and plug in when the battery got low.

I was thinking, since the GBA SP battery is 3.7V and rated around 700mah, and the OG GBA has space for 2 AA sized cells, wouldn't it be great to have some 14500 batteries in parallel (3.7V and ~1800mah) since they're nearly identical to AA in size? I can't think of an easy way to charge them while playing at the same time, but I figured I might try to plant the seed in your head. :D

And just for the hell of it, my backlit gba (I love showing it off on other forums to blow people's minds):

Posted Image
Posted Image

And I still need to put my glass replacement screen on, but I've been too lazy to do it.

Edit: Oh and I forgot.

If any of your SNES pads' buttons feel loose and worn, I highly recommend picking up a new set of rubber contacts here:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item27caaf9981

It makes the controller feel like brand new. Word of advice though, throw out the shoulder button rubbers from that kit, because the domes on them aren't long enough and won't make proper contact.

#268 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hey!

I'm not sure of the specific differences between the 32 and 40 pin from a technical standpoint. I do know that the mod looks better on the 40 pin systems. The 40 pin configuration is the newer revision, and I almost suspect that a GBA phat SP may have been on the table over at Nintendo before they went ahead with the SP.

So anyway, the mod on the 40 pin has more consistent lighting throughout the screen and less motion blur. Don't get me wrong, it looks great with either, but the 40 pin takes better to the mod. I tried taking pics to illustrate, but the difference isn't enough to catch in pics (as best I can figure), but your eye will see it.

As far as batteries go, yes. In fact there are 2 OEM options that you can choose from if you like.

This is the AGB-008/009 combo. This is the better of the two options IMO as it lets you charge the battery while playing.

Posted Image

The other option is the AGB-004, which, as the model number suggests, is the older of the two options. That said, I have one of these and I love it!

Posted Image

I also have one of those generic-ass Pelican rechargeable deals. It works pretty well, but it's ugly and sticks out of the back. BUUUUUUUT, that might be a good place to start if you're thinking of hacking your own kit together. I've been toying with the idea of reconfiguring it to use one of the dozen or so SP batteries that I have here from gutted units.

Did you get one of those glass lenses for the GBA? Someone on TCP tipped me off to them and I really gotta grab a few. The fellow that told me about them says they virtually impossible to scratch.

Good to know about the SNES controller repair kits. I've got like 10 SNES controllers, and luckily none have worn out on me...

yet.

Edited by wiggyx, 20 November 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#269 pat87

pat87

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Yea, I heard about the glass lens elsewhere, and I managed to find one on ebay (I haven't found another source for them). I've been putting off installing it, and my main issue looking at it, it uses double sided tape to attach the lens to the case. Personally I can't imagine the adhesive lasting all that long, and it'll end up requiring glue.

And then, it also has a blank spot where the gameboy advance logo is, so just installing the lens will make it look like some fake clone.

Posted Image
Posted Image

As for the batteries go... Wow I never even knew something like that existed (AGB 008/009). From my brief research, I'm guess it was a japan only release... that's a shame. I knew about the battery pack, but nowadays it's just better to use off the shelf nimhs.

So, from the looks of it, the AGB 008/009 is simply a special battery cover and charger designed to charge the AGB-004 Battery pack, which is nimh. So... in theory any old nimh batteries *should* work.

I really should pick up another old gba just to test my theories on, haha.

Also thanks for the thoughts about the 32 vs 40 pin. I've tried reading about it on zerey's taobao page, but google translate can only do so much, haha. I myself have the 40pin, and have been discouraging the use of 32 pin gbas for this mod. But yea, I'm happy you're making this more accessible for others here on this side of the world. I ordered my first kit through a taobao agent, but I was getting ready to order one directly from zerey himself recently until I stumbled on your projects. So, I might have to grab another off of you eventually. :D

Edit: Ahh... misread. AGB008/009 doesn't actually recharge, it simply is just an ac adapter.

Edited by pat87, 20 November 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#270 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Yea, I heard about the glass lens elsewhere, and I managed to find one on ebay (I haven't found another source for them). I've been putting off installing it, and my main issue looking at it, it uses double sided tape to attach the lens to the case. Personally I can't imagine the adhesive lasting all that long, and it'll end up requiring glue.

And then, it also has a blank spot where the gameboy advance logo is, so just installing the lens will make it look like some fake clone.

Posted Image
Posted Image

As for the batteries go... Wow I never even knew something like that existed (AGB 008/009). From my brief research, I'm guess it was a japan only release... that's a shame. I knew about the battery pack, but nowadays it's just better to use off the shelf nimhs.

So, from the looks of it, the AGB 008/009 is simply a special battery cover and charger designed to charge the AGB-004 Battery pack, which is nimh. So... in theory any old nimh batteries *should* work.

I really should pick up another old gba just to test my theories on, haha.

Also thanks for the thoughts about the 32 vs 40 pin. I've tried reading about it on zerey's taobao page, but google translate can only do so much, haha. I myself have the 40pin, and have been discouraging the use of 32 pin gbas for this mod. But yea, I'm happy you're making this more accessible for others here on this side of the world. I ordered my first kit through a taobao agent, but I was getting ready to order one directly from zerey himself recently until I stumbled on your projects. So, I might have to grab another off of you eventually. :D

Edit: Ahh... misread. AGB008/009 doesn't actually recharge, it simply is just an ac adapter.

Here is a source for the lenses plus they have the logo on them :D

http://www.gamesuppl...ent-glass-lens/

There are very permanent 2-sided tapes out there. I wouldn't worry about that so much. Stick it on, if it fails, glue it down. I think you'll be fine as is though. You don't even wanna know how many parts on your car are attached with just tape...

It took me like 2 months to get a kit from Zerey just because of the impossibility of using Taobao in the US coupled with the difficulties with communication. He finally got a paypal account set up, and that's when I finally managed to grab a kit for myself.

He's a super great guy, and I figured that it'd be SOOOOO much easier for him to sell kits through me since it would mean that he'd just deal with me, 1 buyer, as opposed to individuals. He was really excited about the idea, so we partnered up :D Plus it actually means cheaper prices for folks in the US since you only pay domestic postage and I'm finishing up a proper English manual, AND I added a 2-way brightness switch to the package ;)