Retail Employee Stories Part 8: Stories From Smart Tech Featuring Andy

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#31 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

7pm - 4am tonight, followed by 12pm - 10pm tomorrow. God help me.

Cause I'm sick of seeing ghosts, and I know how it's all gonna end

There's no triumph waiting, there's no sunset to ride off in

We all want to be great men, there's nothing romantic about it

I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given

I just want to sell out my funeral.

I just want to be enough for everyone.

#32 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Wow some of these are truly rage inducing stories. I never really had to deal with any bad customers. If im somplace and I see things happening in a store sometimes I become a white knight, especially if its a greedy customer trying to make up some lies and ill call them out on it. They feel so powerful when they think you can get fired...and then lose it when you respond with I don't work here and smile.

Posted Image

On the other end of things,if I see some person flipping out, as long as they are not getting in someone's face ill encourage them for entertainment.

I also love when someone tries to slam a hydraulic door.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image
http://www.grapplemo...yevtakayama.gif

Removed IMG tags due to sig guideline violations.

#33 Vidory

Vidory

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

So I work at a local restaurant and here’s one of my most memorable phone conversations…

Cust: can I get a deliver? I’m by XX and XX street.
Me: ok, can I have your address?
Cust: I just told you! XX and XX St.
Me: yes but sir, I need an ADDRESS for delivery
Cust: can’t you just deliver to XX and XX st?
(this continues until I finally drill it into his head that I need an actual address…)
Cust: oh all right! Hold on a second!
(yells at his wife to find the address, I wait for over a minute as I hear paper crumbling and yelling. Many things go through my head, as I wonder why he has to look for this. He finally gives me an address)
Me: ok, is that a house or apartment?
Cust: I told you it’s a hotel!!! (He never did)
Me: ok sir can I have the room number?
Cust: yea, 236

I then repeat the address and he confirms it’s right. The wife mumbles something in the background and…

Cust: what did you say the room number is?
Me: 236
Cust: ARE YOU DEAF?? (Insert mean comment) I told you its 250!!

At this point I was just trying to avoid an argument, as my manager wasn’t in a very good mood that day. I proceed to take the rest of his order and the man try to convince me that he can order something that’s not on our menu. I tell him I can’t do that and he gets mad again. And to top it all off, he asks for my name at the end of the conversation and informs me to expect a complaint because of my poor service…

#34 Vidory

Vidory

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

This other story happened when I was on the phone as well. There’s a rule at our restaurant that if the delivery order doesn’t come up to 20 dollars, they have to pay 5 dollars more for delivery (on top of the normal $2).

So one day this guy called in and said he wanted a delivery order, and I take down his information as usual. When it comes time for the actual order though, he orders two things that came up to around 18 dollars, so I tell him about the extra charge. He tells me to add something else and the total came to something like $25.60. He then told me to change that third item he just added, and I gave him another total that he apparently didn’t like either. This went on as he kept changing the last item to some other one until he finally told me that he had a $25 budget. I informed him that if he wanted to keep the first two items there’s NO WAY for it to be under 25 (with tax and delivery). He of course ignores this comment and just keeps changing his order to some other combination.
It took me about 5 minutes to convince him it wasn’t possible for his order to be under 25, so he finally placed an order (keep in mind this is about the smallest order I’ve ever taken and it took a reeeallly long time). When I tell him the delivery time is ½-1 hour though, he gets mad and tells me that if the order didn’t get to him within 40 minutes he wouldn’t take it. So of course after I hang up the phone I ran to the kitchen to tell the manager to put a rush on the order because of what just happened. They start cooking it right away as I left the kitchen.

When I got up to the front again, the phone rang and as I pick up the phone…you guessed it, it’s the SAME GUY. He tells me to cancel the order he just made (and I just put a rush on). I told him the kitchen is already making the food and asked him why he wanted to cancel, and like every good customer, he hangs up on me.

And then I walked slowly to the kitchen again…

#35 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Saves the World!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

Adventures in Retail series thing. Pretty funny stuff.

#36 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

So I work at a local restaurant and here’s one of my most memorable phone conversations…

Cust: can I get a deliver? I’m by XX and XX street.
Me: ok, can I have your address?
Cust: I just told you! XX and XX St.
Me: yes but sir, I need an ADDRESS for delivery
Cust: can’t you just deliver to XX and XX st?
(this continues until I finally drill it into his head that I need an actual address…)
Cust: oh all right! Hold on a second!
(yells at his wife to find the address, I wait for over a minute as I hear paper crumbling and yelling. Many things go through my head, as I wonder why he has to look for this. He finally gives me an address)
Me: ok, is that a house or apartment?
Cust: I told you it’s a hotel!!! (He never did)
Me: ok sir can I have the room number?
Cust: yea, 236

I then repeat the address and he confirms it’s right. The wife mumbles something in the background and…

Cust: what did you say the room number is?
Me: 236
Cust: ARE YOU DEAF?? (Insert mean comment) I told you its 250!!

At this point I was just trying to avoid an argument, as my manager wasn’t in a very good mood that day. I proceed to take the rest of his order and the man try to convince me that he can order something that’s not on our menu. I tell him I can’t do that and he gets mad again. And to top it all off, he asks for my name at the end of the conversation and informs me to expect a complaint because of my poor service…

I have a related story, one I may have told before, but whatever...

Back when I worked at Pizza Hut, one of my coworkers took a delivery order. The customer said his address was 30 California Blvd. Driver arrives, and the folks at that address say they didn't order anything. She calls the customer to confirm the address and he says, "it's actually 330, but one of the 3's fell off my house."

#37 foreverjoe20

foreverjoe20

DarkMagician

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

no crazy Spring Break/St. Patrick's day stories this year?...

#38 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Spring Break hasn't started yet for some folks, or is still going on!

#39 Rexall

Rexall

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

These stories are great. Thanks to everyone. These are just as good as peopleofwalmart.com

#40 foreverjoe20

foreverjoe20

DarkMagician

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Spring Break hasn't started yet for some folks, or is still going on!

Really? I always thought Spring Break was some week in March?

#41 foreverjoe20

foreverjoe20

DarkMagician

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

How about some Easter stories?

#42 Vidory

Vidory

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

overall, I think I've just had about the most interesting easter in a while. First a customer passes out in the middle of dinner and the family (with a LOT of children) comes crying to the front. When the ambulance arrives and takes out the very bloody customer we thought things could at least cool down for a while.

But right after, we get a lady who comes in ordering wonton soup with extra wontons in them. when her food is ready, she makes a scene taking apart the entire bag and inspects every wonton with a spoon. She then informs us that there are less wontons than she ordered. We counted it again and tells her there is enough and packs up the food for her again. She leaves without saying anything...

#43 foreverjoe20

foreverjoe20

DarkMagician

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

wow...what happened to this thread? It used to have multiple stories every day and now...almost a month without anyone posting.

And no, I don't have any stories, that's why I'm not posting any.

Anyways...bump for new stories, I guess...

#44 Vidory

Vidory

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:03 AM

bump

#45 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:14 AM

These stories are legitimately entertaining, but no more news one in a while disappoints the slightly sadistic side of me that wants to hear more tortured employee stories.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#46 Survivalism

Survivalism

CAG's Lance Boyle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

The other day I heard a customer getting loud with one of my bosses. He was standing there with about six double cheeseburgers, and he was yelling and causing a scene because he ordered them "plain," but we still put cheese on them. This was enough to make me hate him but then he goes "this is the FOURTH time in TWO WEEKS my food has been WRONG." Yeah, sir. It's been wrong because a "plain" cheeseburger doesn't mean "no cheese." That's a "hamburger." She tried to explain it to him but for whatever reason he wasn't getting it so finally he just went "I DON'T. LIKE. CHEESE." So she got his goddamn double hamburgers and I heard her say "so next time you're gonna say 'double hamburger,' right?" The guy goes "yeah, well that doesn't work either" and takes his food and storms out.

#47 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

So, does a call center count as retail? Cause I work sales and have a few good stories. Most I can't remember, but, oh I know one. NOt the best one, but, an okay one.

So, one of the main types of calls I take is for a major women's clothing store, and this particular store has their own credit cards. And if the customer spends at least 1000 in one year they get free shipping. That is the only way they get free shipping. So I'm placing an order for a lady and at the very end...

Cust: Oh, and I get free shipping right?
Me:....um, no.
Cust: Why not?
Me: Only our Black card holders get free shipping, and you only have a Platinum card unfortunately.
Cust: Well everyone I've ever talked to has given me free shipping.
Me: Um, well they shouldn't have. I'm not sure why they did.
Cust: So are you giving me free shipping or not?
Me: Unfortunatly I'm not authorized....
*click*

#48 Cage017

Cage017

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

I could post stories on an almost daily basis (even faster with some of the people I work with), but I don't want to come off as spamming. And with our back to school section complete, I'm sure they'll be plenty of morons to talk about.

I'll start with two quick ones:

1. A woman wanted to know the price of one of the frozen sandwiches. I scanned the item on my PDA and tell her $3.15. She points to a sign above it with the same product that says $2.99. I agree that it was incorrect and she brings out a receipt and starts complaining ... in Spanish talking a mile a minute. I don't know what the hell she is saying, but I'm trying to tell her we can adjust the price to make her happy when she says suddenly says in English "I AM A BUSINESS WOMAN" and storms off. I never saw someone so passionate about losing 15 cents in my life.

That was about a month ago. This next one was today:

2. A woman was asking me where to find the women's razors. I tell her it's on Aisle A41 and proceed to walk with her. She sees the "A42" sign, turns around to look at me and asks "Where is A41?"

My head is next to the A41 sign. I actually had to point to my right and tell her she had to subtract one number from the A42 sign to find A41. Unfazed, she walks into the aisle and thanks me.

gallery_474050_8161_3173.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#49 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

Oh, I have one. A good one.

So, sometimes an employee from a store will call us to place an order if they don't have an item. So on this one call, I took the order, then asked to speak with the customer to gather her information. After getting her information, which mildly annoyed her, I then verified her order. At which point she said

"Why are you verifying this with me? Didn't you already do this with the employee?"
"Um, yes, but I just need to verify it with you just to make sure everything was right."
"So what you're telling me is that you don't trust your employees."
"No, that's not-"
"Well I'm offended for her. She's a hardworking employee and she's good at her job and she's been her for years."
"I'm sorry ma'am, I just wanted to make sure your order was right."
"I DON'T CARE IF IT'S RIGHT. IF ANYTHING'S WRONG I'LL DEAL WITH IT WHEN IT GETS HERE!"

And then she went into a ten minute spiel about how she;s shopped with them for years and she has never been so offended (by quality assurance) and that she's a busy woman and wants to be shopping and not wasting her time on the phone and blah blah blah. Oh, and she basically told me I need to buck against the system and tell my supervisors that we need to change our policy and tell people to never verify orders. I am serious. And then

"I'm sorry ma'am. I'm just following orders."
"Well I don't care. Just tell your supervisors."
*Sensing that she's finally done and I can get her off the phone.* "Okay, and, may I ask is your shipping address the same as your billing address?"
*In the same tone a teacher might use with a misbehaving kindergartner.* "Do I need to talk to your supervisor?"
"Um, no ma'am."
"Because I don't think you're going to tell them. Are you?"
"...do you want to talk to a supervisor?"
"YES!"

And so she turned what is usually a three minute call into a twenty-five minute call complaining about us wasting her time. Oh, and one other thing she said that I really hope wasn't true.

"And I've got a lot of women around me giving me thumbs up."

Oh how I pray there weren't really a lot of women supporting her insanely stupid rant. And if they were, I really hope they didn't get what it was about and just thought I was being rude. Because if I am one thing I am not rude to customers. Like, seriously, the guy who trained me gave me a French Apple Tart for excellence in Customer Service.

#50 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

Like, seriously, the guy who trained me gave me a French Apple Tart for excellence in Customer Service.

I bet he did. Just don't tell HR about it.

Now playing (& watching):
:br:-House, M.D. season 7
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#51 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:07 AM

...why not? It was good. Is there some law about giving employees food?

#52 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

I miss these threads. Keep it coming guys!

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#53 roblutter

roblutter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

So obviously, working retail, everyday I could tell a story. This one just topped the charts for me.

I work at Radio Shack. Every week there is a battery promotion where the batteries are on sale. This week, the deal is a 36 pack of AA or AAA batteries for $9.99.

Our store was out of 36 packs though, so we were authorized to do substitutions, which also worked well to sell them. We were pitching it as "Buy two 4-packs (AA or AAA), get 7 packs free!!" which works out to being 36 batteries for $9.99.

So this elderly man comes in (Which mind you, is 80% of my customer base. Not necessarily 80% of sales go to these elderly men, I could probably only account for that being 5-10%, but they ARE 80% of the people that come in.) and I greet him as I always do. After helping him get what he needs, we get to the register, where I mention the battery sale:

"Hey! Just so you know, we're doing a pretty unorthodox battery deal this week..."

"YEAH. I needed some of these AA's."

*He grabs 2 packs of AA's from the rack.*

"Oh cool, well the way the deal works is since you're buying 2 packs already, you'll actually get 7 packs free."

"What?"

"We're doing buy 2, get 7 free on the 4-packs this week!"

"What are you trying to do? Rip me off?"

"Huh?"

"I don't want to buy those batteries."

"You don't have to sir, they are free."

"I SAID I DON'T WANT... WHAT ARE YOU - TRYING TO RIP ME OFF? WHO THE Fuck DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? I WANT TO TALK TO YOUR MANAGER! I'M GOING TO GET YOU FIRED!"

"Sir... I've... I've never been yelled at for giving something away for free... I can keep those back, you don't even have to take them. You CAN have them if you want to."

"I SAID... Fuck YOU! I'M NEVER COMING BACK HERE AGAIN!"

Old man proceeds to hobble out of the store, trying to slam the hydraulic door behind him, only to have to slowly close anyway.

My manager then laughs hysterically at me for the next 5 minutes.

Ugh.

When I was in high school... I worked at the little food place inside Target (it was "Food Avenue" at the time, they're mostly Taco Bell/Pizza Hut locations now). I would run into old people like this all the time! We'd be running a promotion for something like "buy a hot dog, get a free soda" and I'd get yelled at when I tried to give them the soda for trying to cheat them to buying something else. Old people are dumb.

Another time... we closed at 10pm, an hour earlier than the rest of the store (we spent the last hour cleaning up). A woman comes into the darkened store at 10:45pm and demands an ICEE. I tell her that we're closed and that I had closed down the ICEE stations for the night. She demands the manager... well, the store manager comes over and she yells at her. I have to restart the icee machines, wait for them to rechill, get a new register (I'd already dropped mine for the night), restart the computers, and then reclean the ICEE machine (wasting a ton of product in the process). I didn't get out until almost midnight, all because this bitch was entitled and my manager crumbled. Fucking corporate 'merica.

Right now I work in hotels. I'll have to come back and tell you some stories about that.

#54 Zorpheus

Zorpheus

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hey there, I'm an old hand to this thread and thought I would breathe some life back into it. I lost my cushy office job years ago, and then got fired from an industrial type job... So in desperation, had to start working at Mickey D's. I am not often in customer service opportunities, but I do have a story or two.

One time, I was working on cleaning the dining room, and a young woman had apparently lost her keys, and was asking me if I saw them. Told her no, thought that was the end of it. I later learned that she went on a tirade because no one could find her keys, claiming among other things that I ogled her as I answered her question.... And eventually she found she left her keys in her takeout bag...

Bitch didn't even have anything to ogle.

Edited by Zorpheus, 24 November 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#55 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

However at somewhere like Home Depot, there really isn't a back room so if the item isn't there somewhere deep in the shelf, that's the end of that.

We do have a back room, but stuff doesn't stay there long. Any excess product is kept in the overhead above the shelving, usually shrinkwrapped.

#56 Chuck Stank

Chuck Stank

Colts/Hawkeyes Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Some of these stories are fake as Fuck.

#57 Zorpheus

Zorpheus

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Some of these stories are fake as Fuck.

Thank you for sharing your opinion!

Another story, this one concerning the women's restroom. It needs regular inspections/cleaning, and a female employee is not always available. So in I go, with my spray bottle and rag, in full uniform, cleaning the sink. Lady walks in. I say, "Sorry, excuse me for a moment" and try to finish the sink before I leave.

After about 5 seconds, lady says in a 'you're not welcome here' tone, "So did you enter the wrong restroom or what?!"

For God's sake, woman, I'm in uniform, clearly cleaning the sink, I obviously WORK THERE.

Edited by Zorpheus, 26 November 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#58 Cage017

Cage017

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Some of the meanest customer experiences I've had involved people buying Hannukah stuff. I'm sure to have more stories as Hannukah approaches.

Here's something that happened two weeks ago: A woman and her husband were angry because someone took their shopping cart with their stuff in it. She pointed to another employee and said the person looked liked said employee. She (not the husband) became more and more angry yelling "This use to be my favorite store and is going to become the worst store I've ever been in" when we couldn't find the cart right away. It turned out that the cart was taken by another shopper and the couple took the shopper's cart by mistake. The old lady laughed the thing off when the cart was returned to her with none of her stuff missing.

The contents of her cart: A pack of women's panties (which, they admitted, were not the last pack on the shelf) and a sandwich bag with some coupons inside. The "switch off" took place in the Hannukah aisle.

gallery_474050_8161_3173.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#59 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

I'm a college student working at a GameStop. About a year ago this creepy old man (who smelled terrible) came in and walked over to me and my co-worker (we are both females) and said: "You two are some nice bitches." Mortified, we look to each other and then the man clarified: "Nah I don't mean that in a bad way, you two just remind me of my wife! I got her tattooed here on my arm, want to see?" I hesitantly look over and see his wife, a naked tattooed version of her on his arm. Looking directly at me: "You seem just like her! You are both short and full of spunk! I LOVE that about women."
...Overall, I was extremely disturbed. :-&
The weirdest thing about this was that this entire conversation happened in front of his 3 kids (all had to be under the age of 8) and in front of a huge line of customers. The customers were apologizing to ME for what I had just went through :lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#60 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

Why does an old guy have a bunch of kids with him while he hits on college girls? Hmm...seems suspicious...the whole thing seems suspicious.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug: