Retail Employee Stories Part 8: Stories From Smart Tech Featuring Andy

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#181 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

Yeah the last Best Buy I worked at had an Asian manager who was a completely sexist asshole and he was there for years before the harassment complaints built up enough that they felt ok firing him and weren't in fear of a lawsuit.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#182 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

You work at Lowe's or Home Depot?

Depot.

#183 thereefernander

thereefernander

CAG Best Buy Employee

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

Edit
htv6oenzsznakco9zuqt.png
Signature created by Audacious.
616464.png

#184 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Creepy old gay guy? From what I'm reading, it appears to be pretty hard to get fired via sexual harassment issues.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#185 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

They probably don't want to deal with a possible discrimination lawsuit.

#186 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

Guess so. Sad world we live in, 20 years ago you just smack the guy and he stops being a creep. Fin. Now you have to worry about every fool trying to sue for no good reason.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#187 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

Alot of places take sexual harassment very serious and will often suspend/terminate because of fear of getting sued by the person reporting it and nothing being done about it

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#188 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

So, Home Depot has been offering 10% military discount for a while now. Catch is, it couldn't be advertised unless it was on a military holiday. Otherwise the customer had to request it. Even had one associate written up for asking a customer if they had a military ID. And any discount over $50 had to be approved by a manager.

Well, they changed the rules starting today. Now they are advertising it, but it has been reduced to a max $20 discount. As if that wasn't cheap enough, apparently they gave their Spanish translator guy a half-day or something:

20131014_084824-1.jpg

#189 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

^LOL
Spanish translation.

Don't know what the  English to Espanol is?!  No problem, just put "Spanish Translation."
Spainsh translation.

Didn't even know there was even a military discount at Home Depot.
Spanish translation.

#190 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Another reason why Home Depot sucks.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#191 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Note to anyone here who pays in large bills: When the cashier checks to see if its legit, do NOT say any variant of the joke "I just made them last night" or "The ink's still wet!" I guarentee the cashier has heard it thousands of times before and is sick of it. Laughing like it's the greatest joke ever is also a sure way of pissing them off.

#192 Cage017

Cage017

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

http://money.msn.com...&ocid=ansmony11

Walmart might want to work on the "Live Better" portion of their slogan.

gallery_474050_8161_3173.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#193 cager

cager

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

Note to anyone here who pays in large bills: When the cashier checks to see if its legit, do NOT say any variant of the joke "I just made them last night" or "The ink's still wet!" I guarentee the cashier has heard it thousands of times before and is sick of it. Laughing like it's the greatest joke ever is also a sure way of pissing them off.

Yeah I get this often but it doesnt piss me off lol. I go along with it and laugh. Now what pisses me off is when a custumer gets an attitude about checking the bill. Its usually some elderly customer. "I don't know why you have to check them, I got them from the bank".

#194 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

Right up there with "I want the winning lottery ticket!" I get that A LOT

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

#195 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

"Wal-Mart has policies against workplace violence to prevent employees from assaulting co-workers or tackling a shoplifter"

So...I can shoplift and just run out the door and nobody is allowed to stop me? Or if they do and I get away and they'll get fired? Wow.

#196 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

Yup, it's the same policy at best buy, worked there for years-if you stop somebody and they  demand to be let go, you can't hold them.

#197 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:10 PM

Yea, at Home Depot only management and security can stop a shoplifter. Regular associates can't touch them.

#198 The Questyen

The Questyen

Wii game total at 528!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

Any major retailer a shoplifter is only allowed to be stopped by security or management.

Now Playing: Dead Space Extraction (Wii) / The Swapper (PS4)

Recently Finished:  Vessel (PS3) C- / Metroid Prime (replay) (Wii) A / The Walking Dead Season 2: Ep 4 (PS3) A-

#199 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

At GameStop even managers aren't supposed to touch them.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#200 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

Fuck ing guy at my universities post office. I thought he was cool since he always brings out my packages first and knows I get a bunch of packages. We talk casually too. He asked me if what I had was a Nook, I told him it was a Nexus 7. He asked if I like it since he uses Apple products.

Told him I don't like Apple products b/c they cost too much, lack functionality and I can do everything his iPad 2 can do for 3x less the cost. Explained that the N7 is a great tablet and so are iPad's but I prefer Android's. Told him Apple products are great too but too much money for the same features. Didn't say it in a in your face way, just stating it in casual conversation.

He underhandedly told me that he has a job and he can afford all the gadgets he wants so he doesn't consider the price. Than he tells me that once I'm able to get a real job I can afford it and get all the products he has.

He see's me every damn day and knows I sell on eBay. I drop off 3 - 5 packages and pick up the same amount. I make more then him in an hour than he does his whole work day. Jackass. He also knows I have all the products I want. He knows I own a high end laptop, all the current gen consoles, all the games I want, all the gadgets I get. All through deals but why spend more money when I can get my products cheaply and save my money. You don't continue to have money by spending it all. I'm usually nice to him but Fuck him. 

For him to judge me off his stereotypes and little information. Idiot.

#201 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Fucking guy at my universities post office. I thought he was cool since he always brings out my packages first and knows I get a bunch of packages. We talk casually too. He asked me if what I had was a Nook, I told him it was a Nexus 7. He asked if I like it since he uses Apple products. Told him I don't like Apple products b/c they cost too much, lack functionality and I can do everything his iPad 2 can do for 3x less the cost. Explained that the N7 is a great tablet and so are iPad's but I prefer Android's. Told him Apple products are great too but too much money for the same features. Didn't say it in a in your face way, just stating it in casual conversation. He underhandedly told me that he has a job and he can afford all the gadgets he wants so he doesn't consider the price. Than he tells me that once I'm able to get a real job I can afford it and get all the products he has. He see's me every damn day and knows I sell on eBay. I drop off 3 - 5 packages and pick up the same amount. I make more then him in an hour than he does his whole work day. Jackass. He also knows I have all the products I want. He knows I own a high end laptop, all the current gen consoles, all the games I want, all the gadgets I get. All through deals but why spend more money when I can get my products cheaply and save my money. You don't continue to have money by spending it all. I'm usually nice to him but Fuck him. For him to judge me off his stereotypes and little information. Idiot.

It sounds like you're both interested in a dick measuring contest.

pitfall_harry219.png

#202 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

It sounds like you're both interested in a dick measuring contest.

Nope. I just don't like being insulted based on little to no information. 

He made it out to say b/c he owns Apple products that he makes more money and can afford "the best". But I'll get over it. Not the first time I dealt with stereotypes and I doubt it'll be the last.

#203 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

Another holiday and as expected every 5 minutes yesterday, "Do you have trick or treat pails?" "Do you have glowsticks?" "Do you have (random Halloween item)?" And then they get annoyed when they you tell them we are sold out. We had the items since August, and had almost everything up until this past weekend. It's the same thing every holiday and I'm sure on Christmas Eve, people will be walking in an hour before closing expecting a full selection of Christmas items.

Yeah I get this often but it doesnt piss me off lol. I go along with it and laugh. Now what pisses me off is when a custumer gets an attitude about checking the bill. Its usually some elderly customer. "I don't know why you have to check them, I got them from the bank".

That happens a lot where I work too. We check everything except 1 dollar bills and people sometimes get offended that we take the counterfeit pen to mark each bill.

#204 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

This is from a consumers point of view which I thought was pretty damn funny. I went to Target today to see what kind of Halloween clearance they had, I never seem to make it when the store opens so I had my chance today. I didn't bother with the candy since it's usually only 30% off and immediately noticed the selection was pretty sparse with nothing that grappled my attention. I turn a corner and notice a shopping cart full of napkins and paper towels and I was like wtf, are you going to build a paper towel castle?!?!?

I tell the lady that she could probably get a lot more for less at Costco and she just shrugged her shoulders and went ahead, I guess these soccer moms really only see red when they go there. When I got home for shits and giggles I compared the amount of sheets per roll and Costco came out way ahead.

Some people...

#205 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

Another holiday and as expected every 5 minutes yesterday, "Do you have trick or treat pails?" "Do you have glowsticks?" "Do you have (random Halloween item)?" And then they get annoyed when they you tell them we are sold out. We had the items since August, and had almost everything up until this past weekend. It's the same thing every holiday and I'm sure on Christmas Eve, people will be walking in an hour before closing expecting a full selection of Christmas items.

That happens a lot where I work too. We check everything except 1 dollar bills and people sometimes get offended that we take the counterfeit pen to mark each bill.

Yeah, I hate that. People waiting for the last minute and getting annoyed when something is out of stock.

Awe man I thought I was all cool telling people my bills were the real deal.  I should just pay in coins to avoid the possible chance of my bill being fake.  Looks like I'm going to need a lot of quarters. lol

#206 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

Believe it or not, I have had several customers give me multiple rolls of coins. One guy a few years ago paid almost $100 in rolled coins.

Overheard an interesting conversation. A lady bought a special order door back in 1994. Her lockset broke, and she wants a new one for free, claiming lifetime warranty. Turns out they actually still make the lockset, but the warranty only covers the slab, not the lock. Said lock is $60. She refuses to pay for the lock and would rather buy a whole new door somewhere else than buy a new lock.

#207 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

I make more then him in an hour than he does his whole work day.

What do you think he makes in a day?

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#208 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

So, on Monday, my supervisor tells me that I had a half hour of overtime last week and that if I get any more I need to cut it.

Never mind that I always have 15-30 minutes of overtime virtually every week (our time clocks round all punches into 15 minute blocks).

It's Tuesday and I already have an hour and 15 minutes of overtime, largely because our brilliant scheduler had my relief attend a BS training class at 2pm. My shift ends at 2:15. The meeting didn't end until 3pm.

#209 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

The post office at our school is only open to students who live on the dorms. It's only open for 5 hours. I don't care about who makes more money, I care that he judged me and assumed I'm lesser than him b/c I don't care for Apple.

#210 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:52 AM

Apparently a lot more selling on eBay. :dunce: