CAGcast #269: Can't You Better?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#121 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:43 AM

Wombat, regarding your talk on The Darkness II, have you read any of the Darkness comics? I've only read the one trade that was $5 (Darkness: Accused? I think that's what it was called). If you have read more, anything you would recommend? I've read my share of Witchblade. That's a pretty good series from what I've read.

Oh, internet celeb. How bout that Maddox guy who had that blog "Greatest Page in the Universe" or whatever that lead to Alphabet of Manliness book?

PS3 please. :)

#122 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

Do you think wth Vita games being in the SEN store for 10% less then retailers that Retailers will try to sell the game at a discount during week 1 sales? I am very curious on what the trend will be with new Vita games and how the games sell on the shelves versus the online store.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

#123 Clue

Clue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

Why do people keep saying Penny Arcade? .

I think once you make a Time Top 100 list you can safely be called A list.

Penny Arcade writers Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins, better known as their alter-egos Gabe and Tycho, have made Time Magazine’s Top 100 Most Influential People for the year 2010, joining the ranks of Barack Obama, Conan O’Brien, Oprah Winfrey and others.

#124 kaw

kaw

Want some rye?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

A List - Major Nelson, Angry Video Game Nerd, Red vs. Blue
B List - Veronica Belmont, Penny Arcade
C List - Cheapy D
D List - Wombat

I am interested in the Dead Island code. Playing through Xbox 360 co-op now.

Edited by kaw, 08 February 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#125 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

I think once you make a Time Top 100 list you can safely be called A list.

Penny Arcade writers Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins, better known as their alter-egos Gabe and Tycho, have made Time Magazine’s Top 100 Most Influential People for the year 2010, joining the ranks of Barack Obama, Conan O’Brien, Oprah Winfrey and others.

Not necessarily, they got recognized for their work. I agree they do great work with PAX and Child's Play; however, we are talking about overall celebrity. With that thinking when one wins the Nobel Peace Prize they become a celebrity? I can only name one Nobel Peace Prize winner out of many.

Their work is great and many gamers have heard of Penny Arcade, but not all of them can actually name the creators. Even in the Time quote that you provided they had to reiterate who Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins are. If you have to reiterate who someone is is that necessarily an A-List internet celebrity?

Another test is if one of the two creators where walking down the street alongside Mark Zuckerberg who would the general public recognize more? I would think that the mass would recognize Zukerberg over either creator.

Celebrity is defined as a famous person and being well known. Mike and Jerry are known more for their work instead of their celebrity. I like what they have done, but once again their work is A-List witch over shadows them themselves. If they had a movie about them like "The Social Network" than that would help them become A-List.
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#126 Kung Fu ZEPHYR

Kung Fu ZEPHYR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Great show guys. I have a question for next week's show. Does anyone know if/when Bethesda will release DLC for SKYRIM? Thanks

#127 Kuromimi

Kuromimi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Awesome show guys! The only internet celebrities I like to meet are CheapyD, Wombat, Shipwreck and James Rolfe.
Posted Image

#128 doc_zaius

doc_zaius

Beware the beast, Man.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

A list internet celebs? I don't think they exist. An A lister is someone who guarantees box office, someone a movie is designed around. I can't think of anyone who would qualify in the internet world.

I would love the Dead Island Arena DLC in Xbox 360 format please.

#129 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

Some a-list internet celebs

Matt Drudge
Leo laporte
Major Nelson
Jeff Jarvis

B-list
Cheapie d, bloggers etc

C/d list
Flash in the pans like Rebecca black

Xbox 360 please

#130 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

I don't believe the internet really has A-listers. Pretty much people are only known in their own respective arenas. Even the most fervered internet hoopla goes fizzle when put into the "real world" (for example, Snakes On A Plane).

So, I'd max out the list at B+.
CheapyD definitely entered B- territory with his own Saints Row DLC. Children across the world now wonder "who is the weird bald guy with the cool car?"

I'd like a shot at the BloodBath Arena DLC for 360.
I have no interest in the Ryder White stuff... No Co-op & No Achievements? No thanks.

#131 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

Hmm, aside from the CAGcast crew, which I would put in the low B, high C list...

Rebecca Black
Tay Zonday
Justin Bieber... (I know, I know, but he did start on YouTube)
Nima Numa kid
Light saber kid

PS3 please

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif

#132 Fenrer

Fenrer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:16 AM

Krackle, I think I have seen it on its own before, sort of like nestle milk chocolate bars int he red wrappers, very hard to come by. XBOX 360 please.

#133 Smallville123

Smallville123

CAGetmedown!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:20 AM

Great show as always guys! Ps3 version please :)
Insert clever line here......

#134 Icedus

Icedus

Starpointer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

I wouldn't have minded if Wombat got that last minute on his soapbox with the Microsoft bit.

#135 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

If you're still giving away codes for the Dead Island DLC, I'd love the Xbox 360 version please.

As for the internet celebrities, I would consider A-List to be anyone that most internet savvy people would know by name alone, so maybe someone like Perez Hilton. B-List would be someone that people might recognize the name but you have to give them a little indication who they are, so someone like Rebecca Black ("Friday" song). Sorry Cheapy, that leaves you at C-List underneath Perez Hilton and Rebecca Black.

Great show as always guys, keep up the laughs.
Posted Image

#136 Flash Harry

Flash Harry

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hey Ship,

Have you played the new Tropico 4 DLC? Just wondered if it was any good. Not sure if there would have been time for that outside Skyrim however

Great show as ever guys

#137 Blue Arcana

Blue Arcana

Kitten as a cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

I'm glad Cheapy discovered Downton Abbey, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any castles involved in the show.

blueArcana.png

#138 Clue

Clue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Not necessarily, they got recognized for their work. I agree they do great work with PAX and Child's Play; however, we are talking about overall celebrity. With that thinking when one wins the Nobel Peace Prize they become a celebrity? I can only name one Nobel Peace Prize winner out of many.

Their work is great and many gamers have heard of Penny Arcade, but not all of them can actually name the creators. Even in the Time quote that you provided they had to reiterate who Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins are. If you have to reiterate who someone is is that necessarily an A-List internet celebrity?

Another test is if one of the two creators where walking down the street alongside Mark Zuckerberg who would the general public recognize more? I would think that the mass would recognize Zukerberg over either creator.

Celebrity is defined as a famous person and being well known. Mike and Jerry are known more for their work instead of their celebrity. I like what they have done, but once again their work is A-List witch over shadows them themselves. If they had a movie about them like "The Social Network" than that would help them become A-List.

I see where you're coming from. On this, we'll need to agree to disagree. To be honest I could more easily point out the two of them than I could Zukerberg.

I think in respect to the two of them, they are the brand so the two things become interchangeable. Opposite of say Twitter where the idea/technology isn't thought of as associated with the developers.

#139 testudo

testudo

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

1. Jeff Gerstmann
2. Ship & Wombat
3. Hiroko Minamoto

I'd love the 360 Version of Dead Island DLC

"I'm saving your future for a rainy day."
Check out the best gaming website in/for the world: sustainablegamers.tumblr.com

#140 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Trale Lewous.

PC Dead Island DLC.

2ic4l5j.jpg

#141 kodos64

kodos64

Hokie4Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

i haven't read the whole thread so if someone already brought this up then i'm sorry, but i'm not sure how you can have your own convention(s) in your name, that is attended by 10's of thousands of people and not be considered A list. just my $.02

#142 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

i haven't read the whole thread so if someone already brought this up then i'm sorry, but i'm not sure how you can have your own convention(s) in your name, that is attended by 10's of thousands of people and not be considered A list. just my $.02

Can you name the old dude that runs the Oscars? Dude gets up on stage and gives a little speech that is seen by billions. Surely he's a celebrity.

#143 TurkeyShooter

TurkeyShooter

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Don't suppose there is a free key going for PC version of Ryder Whyte anymore. Wasn't able to post when I 1st signed up :( . Internet celebs..... I have no idea as I don't follow any unless you count CAG :P

#144 wrecktum

wrecktum

Certified Bi-Winner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

1st off, congrats on 4 million downloads and on January being such a sold month for you guys!

as for internet celebrities i dont really care to know any unless theyre on youtube so i cant really give you a list there.
id love the dead island codes for the 360 though!
Posted Image

#145 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Can you name the old dude that runs the Oscars? Dude gets up on stage and gives a little speech that is seen by billions. Surely he's a celebrity.

I have to agree with Corvin on this. Even if there where 4 million individual people downloading that is only them listening to it once in a 5 or so year span in time. That in itself is unlikely and I have probably downloaded 75 of them, so the people that subscribe to the show is actually much less than 4 million individuals. I have no idea how many registered users Penny Arcade has but lets give them 4 million as well for this experiment.

Now the United States has a population estimate of 311.6 Million people. So to give the CAGcast or Penny Arcade the benefit of the doubt I am going to say there are 312 million people in the United States and they have 4 million loyal listeners weekly or registered users. That is only 1.28% of the general United States population. That is not A-List at all...and trust me that's just a fraction of the almost 7 billion people in the world. After all we are talking internet celebrity here and every address starts off world wide web dot.

To me I think of the Cagcast as A-List in my household and my kids think they are A-List because I provide that illusion for them. However, when my kids go to school I have provided them with a social awkwardness by giving them the illusion that the CAGcast is A-List material when in all actuality the CAGcast is not. So when it comes time for ice breakers and talking about what you like, all the other kids will be talking about Elmo or Spongebob and they can all relate. Than my kid is going to get up there and talk about taking huge shits and big ass chains and no one, not even the teacher will know what he is talking about. After that my kid will be alienated from all social groups in his school because I thought it would be fun telling him that the CAGcast is A-List and everyone knows them.
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#146 shaggyc

shaggyc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:12 AM

I'd take either code for pc, though I'm sure I'm to late. What specs you throwing together cheapy?

#147 kodos64

kodos64

Hokie4Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

I have to agree with Corvin on this. Even if there where 4 million individual people downloading that is only them listening to it once in a 5 or so year span in time. That in itself is unlikely and I have probably downloaded 75 of them, so the people that subscribe to the show is actually much less than 4 million individuals. I have no idea how many registered users Penny Arcade has but lets give them 4 million as well for this experiment.

Now the United States has a population estimate of 311.6 Million people. So to give the CAGcast or Penny Arcade the benefit of the doubt I am going to say there are 312 million people in the United States and they have 4 million loyal listeners weekly or registered users. That is only 1.28% of the general United States population. That is not A-List at all...and trust me that's just a fraction of the almost 7 billion people in the world. After all we are talking internet celebrity here and every address starts off world wide web dot.

To me I think of the Cagcast as A-List in my household and my kids think they are A-List because I provide that illusion for them. However, when my kids go to school I have provided them with a social awkwardness by giving them the illusion that the CAGcast is A-List material when in all actuality the CAGcast is not. So when it comes time for ice breakers and talking about what you like, all the other kids will be talking about Elmo or Spongebob and they can all relate. Than my kid is going to get up there and talk about taking huge shits and big ass chains and no one, not even the teacher will know what he is talking about. After that my kid will be alienated from all social groups in his school because I thought it would be fun telling him that the CAGcast is A-List and everyone knows them.

I thought the question was A list "internet" celebrities, not A list celebrities in general. I translated internet celebrities to mean "geek" celebrities, so that could be a bad translation in my part. If we are talking general celebrities I don't think any geek celebrity would be even close except for Wil Wheaton just because of tNG.

#148 ravens52bears54

ravens52bears54

Thin Blue Line

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

I also love chili.

I would like Dead Island codes for the 360 please. :)

#149 Sonne

Sonne

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

I think Wombat was in the right in spending some time discussing the whole issue with the 360 account banning, it was nice to see the issue resolved, and some good points were made. Issues with MSFT Customer Service led me to ultimately switch over to a PS3, even after the issue was resolved with Microsoft.

As for a B list internet celebrity, how about the Epic Meal Time guys?

I'd like to be thrown in the hat for a PS3 version of the Dead Island DLC, please.

#150 HansKaosu

HansKaosu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

Only thing i have to say is.. Enough with the bad jokes wombat.

Except for that.. Good stuff as always