- - - - -

Regarding deletion of thread asking about validity of a deal with no notice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fongjam

fongjam

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

To whom this may concern-

I recently posted a thread in the "Other deals and requests" section pertaining to an ad that I saw running here on CAG. It advertised buy one get one free gift cards. There were questions regarding whether the legitimacy of the ad and the website (amoozle.com) for which it was for. It seemed to be determined by several members that this was likely a scam and should be avoided. I even posted a picture of the ad just so other users could exercise caution since the point of web advertising is to have users click through.

Anyway, I noticed today that the thread was likely deleted. Mostly since those were the only postings I had ever made on the CAG forums so when I noticed my post count was zero it probably was deleted.

So my question is why was this thread deleted? Is this an admission that the ad was fraudulent and a scam? If anything you should let us, the users, know without just deleting a thread. If anything you could post a message regarding your own opinion of the particular advertiser and lock the thread or move it if you felt that necessary.

Needless to say, the actions by the moderators seemed a bit extreme and unnecessary and leave me a bit disappointed with CAG. If the purpose was to protect CAG's reputation, I don't think we would have held it against you as it appears the ad came from Google.

Anyway, it would be nice for some clarification and what infractions or policies were broken that necessitated the deletion of the thread. I just hope that you don't delete this thread as well.

Thanks for reading.

#2 Spanky

Spanky

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

If it was deleted then it probably was a scam. There is really no need to ask further questions about it. A moderator probably researched the deal a bit more and determined it was a scam so he/she deleted said thread. In the end everybody loses a bit of their post count but post count shouldn't matter should it?;)
Posted Image

#3 Dark Rider

Dark Rider

Looks Dashing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

If it was deleted then it probably was a scam. There is really no need to ask further questions about it. A moderator probably researched the deal a bit more and determined it was a scam so he/she deleted said thread. In the end everybody loses a bit of their post count but post count shouldn't matter should it?;)

I think his point was, that Cheapy should pay more attention to the ads that are played on his site. He was just annoyed that this was dealt with quietly as opposed to cheapy saying that the site was not legit.

#4 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:52 AM

Seems shady deleting information that would stop people from getting scammed. Doesn't it?

Spoiler

#5 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:00 AM

I think you should have just stayed a lurker. >_< Great post btw!

#6 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

A moderator wrongly assumed you were spamming some site or service, which happens pretty frequently. If you find any shady looking ads, you can let me know the URL and I can block them.

#7 fongjam

fongjam

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

I think his point was, that Cheapy should pay more attention to the ads that are played on his site. He was just annoyed that this was dealt with quietly as opposed to cheapy saying that the site was not legit.

Exactly my point, Dark Rider. Spanky, I could care less about my post count. That has nothing to do with it. That was more for how I knew it was deleted. And if it was in fact a scam I wanted everyone else to know about it rather than to have it be swept under the rug. The real point of concern for me too was that it was an ad running on this very site.

Cheapy, I'll take your word for it that it was a mistake by a moderator. But I did take care when I made the original post to hopefully avoid any quick, erroneous deletions by a moderator by putting possible scam in the subject as well as a "?" icon. Also, I haven't seen this ad again on your site lately although it did pop up in the ad rotation on two different days last week that I saw.

#8 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Unfortunately, because of my location, I don't see the same ads as you.

#9 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

It's a scam site, regardless if it seems legit on the surface. This is another variation of a scam that was run via another site, cardlily.com, from a few months back. Info in question about cardlily.com:

http://www.scambook....68/Cardilly.com

Cardlily.com made the same promises, paid out some cards initially then disappeared off of the face of the early. Nice little Ponzi-type scheme. Cardlily.com domain doesn't even show up as registered on Network Solutions' WHOIS list any longer because they disappeared.

Works the same way for Amoozle.com, most likely, and I'm sure people might get their cards initially, though over time, they'd do a cash-grab and run for the hills. This isn't the first scam like this and won't be the last. There's numerous sites we see posted on CAG on a daily or more-than-daily basis. If it even looks scammy or questionable, it gets dumped, and I know I'm not the only moderator that does so. Even if a small number of CAGs may have benefited from this site, I would pretty safely bet that we'd have others that get ripped off and they'd complain to the site about why it was allowed to remain on the site.

I was the moderator who removed your thread and the two other Amoozle.com threads that were posted in a similar 24 hour timeframe. All three were nuked as spam/scam-type threads and none of the OPs of any of those threads were notified about the deleted, due to the apparent nature of the thread.

Most likely, if it does appear to be too good to be true, it usually is. As this was an ad shown on CAG, and as numerous CAGs surf with Flashblock/AdBlock enabled, we don't see ads, myself included.

If there's an ad that looks odd or potentially scammy, CheapyD should be emailed at Cheapyd@cheapassgamer.com with the URL of the ad, so it can be removed from rotation in the ad stream. Cheapy is the only one who can remove ads from the ad rotation, moderators can't.