Photo
- - - - -

PRE-ORDER: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Guide [Hardcover] $26.99 Future Press 600 pg

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 EdgeCrusher36

EdgeCrusher36

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Wow, I had no idea FFIX guide was this crappy! A few years back I came across a local store that had a ton of this for sale ($15 each), I brought a couple and ended up selling them for $50 a piece on amazon, so I went back and brought a copule more... still have them somewhere in the house...

I found a copy of it in the basement of my apartment when I moved in. Never even looked at it but didnt remember the playonline stuff on the cover either though. Just thought PO was crap service for billing and accounts for FFXI :(

#32 ndmaynard

ndmaynard

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Barnes and Noble has it for $18.21 + $4 Shipping, although shipping is free if you are a BN Member. For some reason the ISBN is different on Amazon, BN, and BD.

http://www.barnesand...m=1&usri=amalur

#33 kosmos13x

kosmos13x

Nocturne #BNC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

Little update...

Seems like 38 and futurepress are looking into a possible "band-aid" fix to get the guide out as early as possible to players before the actual physical copy ships. That being said and speculation on my part, I'm going to take a guess that they may send out some sort of online copy for pre-orders and ship the guide out later.

http://forums.reckon...ull=1#post66364

#34 musicjunkie

musicjunkie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Where did you get that coupon from?

It was a mailer with some coupons for people who signed up for Gamer's Club Unlocked.

Some people got it in like Oct/Nov and they expired on 12/31/11 (if I remember right) and then another wave was sent out in Dec/Jan and I believe they expire in March.

#35 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

It was a mailer with some coupons for people who signed up for Gamer's Club Unlocked.

Some people got it in like Oct/Nov and they expired on 12/31/11 (if I remember right) and then another wave was sent out in Dec/Jan and I believe they expire in March.

Actually, since the SKUs on the coupons in both waves are exactly the same, the ones that say they expire on 12/31/11 actually expire in March. Someone was able to use a coupon from the first wave after its supposed expiration date, so if you still have a coupon from back then, you could still use it now.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: Kirby: Triple Deluxe :ps3: Just Cause 2; Tales of Xillia 2  :vita: One Piece: Unlimited World RED; Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Last Beaten/Completed Game(s) [8/22]:  :ps3: MGS3 HD (4.75/5)

Last Watched Film [8/9]: The Raid 2 (insane choreography, complex story)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#36 buckythekat

buckythekat

dv8 King of Concerns

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

Actually, since the SKUs on the coupons in both waves are exactly the same, the ones that say they expire on 12/31/11 actually expire in March. Someone was able to use a coupon from the first wave after its supposed expiration date, so if you still have a coupon from back then, you could still use it now.

cool, I'll have to look and see if I still have my coupon

#37 Thrakker

Thrakker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

Hmm, the book isn't listed on The Book Depository anymore, but my preorder isn't cancelled.

#38 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

Savior, Conquerer, Hero, Villain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

Barnes and Noble has it for $18.21 + $4 Shipping, although shipping is free if you are a BN Member. For some reason the ISBN is different on Amazon, BN, and BD.

$16.51 at BN.com now! Everyone please submit a price match on Amazon! :D

Spoiler

#39 remag

remag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

The fact that you say it could be the worst book written in history makes it really had to take your comment seriously.

I've heard nothing but great things about Future Press, guess you're in the minority.

I have that Dark Souls guide, and while I haven't really checked it out yet, it looks to be a really well put together guide. Care to comment more on why it's so bad?
I think most of us can agree the worst player's guide ever made was the guide for Final Fantasy IX. That's why I buy a paper guide, to be told to look online for most things, what a pile of crap that guide was.

I have really tried hard to put the dark souls guide to use but without success. I've come across somewhat bad guides in the past before and yes I owned FF9 guide. That guide is no where near as bad as dark souls one. Let me explain why it is the worst guide ever if not the worst book.

First, the enemy data is put in the beginning of the book, which is normal. What isn't fine is the fact that they put the damn BOSS GUIDE in the front of the book as well. So you have to constantly flip back and forth every 3-4 pages. On top of that, a good amount of the information is wrong. They did not thorougly test any of the things they suggested. On the Stray Demon fight they suggested you go in with high fire resist and a fire resist shield to eat through the room-wide smash area damage. I found that fire resist did nothing and people online also said the damage isn't fire. That's just one instance of wrong information. Their boss guide is absolutely trash. I had to youtube every fight that I got stuck on because the guide's boss strategy is trash.

I can go on and on about the hand drawn maps that they include for each section. But I would rather you try to follow along with their maps to actually experience the sensation of fustration.

Most of the "side-quests" including covenants, etc. are included in the back of the book instead of during the walk through. They should at least mention during the walkthrough to refer to page yada yada to complete this side quest before you can't anymore.

The in game pictures they took offer absolutely no help.

I'm sure I could point out many other fails but I stopped opening it after halfway through the walkthrough. I didnt' even touch the second half.

Oh, and they really don't offer much insight into character builds or even weapon upgrades.

I really think they put this POS guide together in 2 weeks.

Edited by remag, 07 February 2012 - 07:03 AM.

#40 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

Is that the FuturePress hardcover guide? The details say it's Brady Publishing. Also, the release date isn't until February 28th. Weird.
"Ha! I like your style, you make up your own rules just like me." - Cave Johnson

#41 musicjunkie

musicjunkie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Pretty sure I threw them away a week or so ago when I noticed the exp date. Damn.

#42 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

Savior, Conquerer, Hero, Villain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

Is that the FuturePress hardcover guide? The details say it's Brady Publishing. Also, the release date isn't until February 28th. Weird.

FuturePress is using Brady as the distributor in NA, but the guide is still being published / created by FuturePress. It's on their Facebook page in one of their "reply" comments.

Spoiler

#43 Earthbound_X

Earthbound_X

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

I have really tried hard to put the dark souls guide to use but without success. I've come across somewhat bad guides in the past before and yes I owned FF9 guide. That guide is no where near as bad as dark souls one. Let me explain why it is the worst guide ever if not the worst book.

First, the enemy data is put in the beginning of the book, which is normal. What isn't fine is the fact that they put the damn BOSS GUIDE in the front of the book as well. So you have to constantly flip back and forth every 3-4 pages. On top of that, a good amount of the information is wrong. They did not thorougly test any of the things they suggested. On the Stray Demon fight they suggested you go in with high fire resist and a fire resist shield to eat through the room-wide smash area damage. I found that fire resist did nothing and people online also said the damage isn't fire. That's just one instance of wrong information. Their boss guide is absolutely trash. I had to youtube every fight that I got stuck on because the guide's boss strategy is trash.

I can go on and on about the hand drawn maps that they include for each section. But I would rather you try to follow along with their maps to actually experience the sensation of fustration.

Most of the "side-quests" including covenants, etc. are included in the back of the book instead of during the walk through. They should at least mention during the walkthrough to refer to page yada yada to complete this side quest before you can't anymore.

The in game pictures they took offer absolutely no help.

I'm sure I could point out many other fails but I stopped opening it after halfway through the walkthrough. I didnt' even touch the second half.

Oh, and they really don't offer much insight into character builds or even weapon upgrades.

I really think they put this POS guide together in 2 weeks.

Guess I'll find out when I get Dark Souls, and try to use it with the guide. Though the guide does seem to have pretty much perfect reviews on Amazon. "Shrug"

#44 EdgeCrusher36

EdgeCrusher36

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

remag is the only person I've ever seen really complain about the Dark Souls guide. Not sure what is up there.

#45 Tgebbs

Tgebbs

Black Label

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

I will never buy a future press book again. The dark souls one they did had to be the worst guide book written if not the worst book written in history. Don't support them!

Could not disagree more.

I <3 future press.

#46 remag

remag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

Yeah I agree saying don't support Future Press overall is a bit harsh. It's the person who wrong the dark souls guide is that one that is bad.