Tribes Ascend - Open Beta - Info + CAG Game Nights

M

Megazell

SoxCw.jpg

Open beta, yo.

What the hell is a Tribes?
Tribes is an FPS franchise focused on massive maps, non-hitscan (instant projectile) weapons, and teamwork-heavy capture the flag.

Tribes Ascend is the newest, free-to-play addition to the series, and it has just gone in to open beta. New players will have three of nine classes and a basic set of weapons and perks unlocked, with upgrades, perks, and new classes being fairly easy to unlock ith EXP, and new weapons being very expensive. Players can pay money to get "gold", which can either be used to buy perks/weapons/classes directly or spent on "boost time" to increase EXP gains.

Alright, how do I play?
Download link is here. Specs are:

• Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Althon X2 2.7 GHz
  • RAM: 2gb or greater for Windows XP), 3GB or greater for Windows Vista or 7
  • Video card: ATI or nVidia graphics card (512MB video ram or better and Shader Model 3.0+ support). ATI Radeon 3870+ or Nvidia GeForce 8800GT+.
  • Sound card: DirectX compatible sound card
  • Hard drive: 10 GB available

Okay, I've tried it. And I sucked.
UscqE.png

Any other CAGs playing?
CAG Name - Tribes Ascend Name - Preferred Time
Megazell - Megazell - 10:00 PM EST
j-cart - jcart - 3:00 AM EST
The Crotch - Jubilant - 8:00 PM EST (though I never get to play that early because of the jerks above)
Draekon - DraekonB - 8-10PM EST (Available times, don't play much though)
Waughoo - Waughoo - PENIS
crystalklear64 - ck64 - PENIS
humidore - jengo - PENIS
jBaz - BazTech - LONG DONG SILVER
Morphx2 - FlipprDolphin - PENIS
rothgar24 - redwolfpup - Flexible

This thread can be edited by anyone, so add your name and preferred playing time. We've mostly been using skype for coordination so far, but we may migrate to vent at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayaBHJeEpbw

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayaBHJeEpbw

Do it, you pussies. All you have to do to play is go here and hit the like button to get a key, then go here to download it. Not much of a "closed" beta.

You only start with three of the nine classes - I've unlocked the technician and a couple of his upgrades - and getting the classes and weapons can be a bit of a grind. But even with the default classes, the game is god damn good. It's like... when you're playing well, it feels like you're in the matrix. You're jetpacking backwards at 150 kph using your grenade launcher create an improvised obstacle course for your chasers. Or you're banking off a hill, launching yourself through the window of one side of the enemy base, grabbing the flag in the middle, dropping a grenade, and flying out the other side in seconds without losing any speed.

Anyway, my Xfire name is lglalonde and my Tribes name is Jubilant, because fuck any sort of consistent theme or recognizable pattern. Shit's for pussies, yo. Skypes also available.

EDIT: Also, I'm dtf much earlier than Megazell there is.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Crotch']Do it, you pussies. All you have to do to play is go here and hit the like button to get a key, then go here to download it. Not much of a "closed" beta.[/QUOTE]

I will never, ever, use Facebook for anything. Otherwise I'd probably try it.

[quote name='j-cart']Tribes name: jcart

I play late nights yo, meaning past midnight PST time.[/QUOTE]

You on Xfire?

Sorry no xfire.

Already have vent, teamspeak, and skype. I guess if it is an easier program to use I'll pick it up.

Good games The Crotch, or shall I say Jubilant?

Need to practice that skiing and such, but the game is a great change of pace to all of these small ADHD map type FPS games. More people need to get in on this free game (F2P), it's mad fun.

Next time we play on Katabatic (the ice map) or Arx Novena (the Roman city map), you should follow me on my flag routes. I've got some really lovely paths worked out on those guys. Arx is hard; the flag is fairly well sheltered, but you feel slick as fuck when you pull it off.

I have a VENT server so we can use that. I played 3 rounds last night must have just missed ya J.

I have 26 Beta Keys. Going to be PM'ing people from CAG that have send me retail codes in the past. If you want a key PM - No new CAG accounts made this day will be given keys.

Edit - 3 Left.

Last edited:
I've been playing this on and off for awhile. Can't say that I'm any good at it but it's really fun running like a crazy ass with the flag while 6 people chase you :)

[quote name='Waughoo']I've been playing this on and off for awhile. Can't say that I'm any good at it but it's really fun running like a crazy ass with the flag while 6 people chase you :)[/QUOTE]

I'm probably not going to ever get good in this game but it's fun as hell to run these maps and be apart of the mayhem.

What's your name ingame?

Possible that we can wiki this Megazell?

It would a nice setup if we can get everyone's Tribes name and vent info on first post.

And holy crap on people getting swiping those keys, you should say they MUST post in here if they want them :)

[quote name='j-cart']It would a nice setup if we can get everyone's Tribes name and vent info on first post.[/QUOTE]

And maybe get rid of the yellow/centered text. \*cough*\

[quote name='j-cart']And holy crap on people getting swiping those keys, you should say they MUST post in here if they want them :)[/QUOTE]

If you count randomly hearing my phone ding while on-site at a client working on shit and then seeing "Megazell has sent you a private message on cheapassgamer.com" as swiping a key, then yes, I swiped a key. :whistle2:#

[quote name='j-cart']Possible that we can wiki this Megazell?

It would a nice setup if we can get everyone's Tribes name and vent info on first post.

And holy crap on people getting swiping those keys, you should say they MUST post in here if they want them :)[/QUOTE]

Wiki? Done!

Agreed. Though I change the Vent password weekly because it's most used for family and friends but from time to time I let my guard down and invite strangers to see how it is.

YOU MUST NOW POST IN HERE FOR THE KEYS - 3 REMAINING! SO SAY WE ALL!

[quote name='Draekon']And maybe get rid of the yellow/centered text. \*cough*\

If you count randomly hearing my phone ding while on-site at a client working on shit and then seeing "Megazell has sent you a private message on cheapassgamer.com" as swiping a key, then yes, I swiped a key. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Done!

One of your CAG forum friends vouched for your character and suggested I PM, so I did.

[quote name='Megazell']One of your CAG forum friends vouched for your character and suggested I PM, so I did.[/QUOTE]

You don't remember playing Lord of the Rings Online with me when it went free to play? I am saddened. I was that guy playing a chick in the new F2P CAG guild (one of the higher levels, possibly highest level) while you mucked around from level 1-30'ish. We shared a whole 50 lines of dialogue together!

And who the hell in their right mind would vouch for me? :cold:

[quote name='Draekon']You don't remember playing Lord of the Rings Online with me when it went free to play? I am saddened. I was that guy playing a chick in the new F2P CAG guild (one of the higher levels, possibly highest level) while you mucked around from level 1-30'ish. We shared a whole 50 lines of dialogue together![/QUOTE]

0.0 I forgot and stuff. Forgivez me. 0.0

[quote name='Draekon']And who the hell in their right mind would vouch for me? :cold:[/QUOTE]

Someone that had pelvic thrust constantly on their mind.

I got a Juggernaut cap last night, by the way. Won the game for our team. Someone shot me in the back with a disk or something, launching me over j-cart's head and into the flag.

It was fucking glorious. I went flagstand to flagstand with one of the slowest classes in the game. If I'd been thinking, I'd have tried boosting myself with my own spinfuzor.

I was not thinking.

EDIT: New patch up. Nerf to Tech thumper, Brute fractal no longer wrecks generators, Infiltrator prism mine no longer worthless, weapons now cheaper (I'll see how much cheaper once the patch is downloaded)... looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are really going to make me use Xfire, eh?

Xfire: Draekon
Tribes: DraekonB (Some fucker stole my name. Wish I could have had global rights over it when I created it 12 years ago.)

I'll probably play here and there on Saturday, maybe some tomorrow too. I rarely play after 9 or 10PM CST any day of the week.

Honestly, I favour skype. Suppose that might change when we get more people involved.

And it looks like a lot of weapons have gone from "stupidly expensive" (170,000 EXP) to "stupidly expensive (100,000 EXP).

i played 1 round of this game with a buddy. killed some people, got a bunch of credits, killed a bunch of people with the orbital strike thing, and then we lost.

seems like a very throwaway arena type of game without any real order. you just kinda fly around the map and shoot at people that come near you. good for a match or two but a planned night for it?

[quote name='Draekon']You guys are really going to make me use Xfire, eh?

Xfire: Draekon
Tribes: DraekonB (Some fucker stole my name. Wish I could have had global rights over it when I created it 12 years ago.)

I'll probably play here and there on Saturday, maybe some tomorrow too. I rarely play after 9 or 10PM CST any day of the week.[/QUOTE]

I add you tomorrow. Crotch and I had a great match. 7 CTF wins in a row tonight. Upgraded my Solider a bit.

[quote name='The Crotch']Honestly, I favour skype. Suppose that might change when we get more people involved.

And it looks like a lot of weapons have gone from "stupidly expensive" (170,000 EXP) to "stupidly expensive (100,000 EXP).[/QUOTE]

I can not remember if SKYPE has a group conference option. I also know of another HTML based voice chat for those that don't want to install anything new.

[quote name='crystalklear64']i played 1 round of this game with a buddy. killed some people, got a bunch of credits, killed a bunch of people with the orbital strike thing, and then we lost.

seems like a very throwaway arena type of game without any real order. you just kinda fly around the map and shoot at people that come near you. good for a match or two but a planned night for it?[/QUOTE]

What mode did you play? I found CTF to be very strategic and unpredictable. I have yet to try Death match or any other mode.

What's your name in the game?

That game you ducked out of was fucking baller, Mega. Me an' my turrets picked up 20 kills, and I had the big guns and the radar maxed out.

At one point I was doing mass repairs on the gun below our base when this raider flies up and starts firing stickies at me. I blindly tossed my only grenade while skiing backwards, which hit him perfectly for 1000 damage. We dueled for a bit, and I was whittling him down, but a jug and a soldier showed up and started tossing me around. I got the raider with the very last bullet from my SMG, then the juggernaut disked my ass.

I didn't get a screenshot of the "launched into the skybox" bug, though. A shame.

[quote name='Megazell']What mode did you play? I found CTF to be very strategic and unpredictable. I have yet to try Death match or any other mode.

What's your name in the game?[/QUOTE]
i think it was deathmatch, though there was a flag.
i think its ck64

[quote name='The Crotch']That game you ducked out of was fucking baller, Mega. Me an' my turrets picked up 20 kills, and I had the big guns and the radar maxed out.

At one point I was doing mass repairs on the gun below our base when this raider flies up and starts firing stickies at me. I blindly tossed my only grenade while skiing backwards, which hit him perfectly for 1000 damage. We dueled for a bit, and I was whittling him down, but a jug and a soldier showed up and started tossing me around. I got the raider with the very last bullet from my SMG, then the juggernaut disked my ass.

I didn't get a screenshot of the "launched into the skybox" bug, though. A shame.[/QUOTE]

That sounds great. I did A LOT better last night then the previous nights. My best moment was during the 1st and 2nd round where I was guarding the generator. We had 2 nmes in there and I was solo for a bit and I caught them both with one thump but I spammed my nade at the same time then another nme dropped down and landed on it and blew up in such epic fashion. That same thing happened 2x. It was awesome sauce. Oh and that flag cap - That was nice! It's rare that I cap flags.

Last edited:
Oh, Christ. I was playing a juggernaut on Drydock last night using that big hill in the middle to bombard the enemy base. Now, this is annoying as fuck, and I inevitably piss someone off enough for them to deal with me. Sometimes it's snipers. Usually they'll send a soldier or a pathfinder to chase me away. Once I got hit by an orbital strike, which was totally fucking worth it.

Last night? A doombringer came up the hill to duel me. Three. fucking. Times. First round he was wrecking me until he ran out of bullets and he came at me with his claw. After a bit of sword vs claw action I just started jumping over his head and disking him. Second round I killed him with my last disk. Third round I killed him with my last mortar.

Poor doombringer. But hell, it's his god damn fault for trying to duel.

Added everyone except for humidore - he does not show up at all on search or anything else.

Just jumped in for a few rounds before heading out. Won 1 and Lost 1 - CTF.

The 1st win was awesome. It was an overtime match. The teams were both equally as good. I was running flags and defending gen from time to time. Manage to prevent 3 caps which was great. I've been experimenting with a few different KB layout since gamepad and this game don't work so much. Finally got in the right groove.

The best moment was when I spent all of my credits upgrading the guns by the flag and decided to move on and attempt a cap. The moment I went to ski 3 inbound nmes made it to the flag. By the time I turned around it was nothing by gibs and heartache as all 3 got torn apart by the guns. No kill credit for them but it was nice. The chat was HILARIOUS.

OH and I got 2 melee kills while skiing. :)

[quote name='humidore']Sorry, Tribes username is just jengo. Man this game is fun![/QUOTE]

Yeah. I'm closing the store in a few mins. Going to sneak in some time while the kids aren't home :)

Well that sucked, I was just playing this and chase down the flag carrier. We're out in the middle of nowhere, and it's a close game. I kill him, take the flag, and it immediately kicks me back out to the main menu :mad:

Us having the flag would probably have won the game too.

Yeah Deathmatch on here is a waste. I think they have it just to have it. It should be taken out entirely IMO.

Ppl that want Deathmatch on the PC know where to go already for their kicks.

CTF and Rabbit are great. I thought I would not have time to play this tonight but looks like I will. Just got to make 2 more buckets of homemade clay and I will be in the clear :)

I actually like the DM on this. Dunno why everyone hates it so much. But I just played a few games while waiting on some ppl for hop on LoL, and got singled out by some guy for an unknown reason. He started spawn camping with a heavy unit, and was using the missile lock on for me from across the map. Didnt make sense cause I wasnt doing good or even bugging him. Then I spawned in behind him and hit him with like 3 melee attacks and a spinfusor (I was a pathfinder). He just turns around and 1-shots me. Total BS.

Looks like they made the shotty better though. I quit using the pathfinder awhile ago because it wasnt even killing people point blank. Tried it today and it's not quite good yet, but at lest I can get kills with it when I need to.

I'm actually taking the next 2 week off from the store so I am in and out of the game at all kinds of hours.

[quote name='The Crotch']The game is substantially less fun without someone else on skype. Draekon, j-cart, etc. Stop being jerkfaces.[/QUOTE]

I hate Skype, but I have a TS3 server.

Don't know if I'll be able to jump on today as I have a fair amount of after hours work to do from home. Then yesterday I just passed out shortly after eating dinner and the previous night I had unexpected after hours work. Having to do the work of 3 people until the end of next week, so I've been all kinds of busy.

Just set a time between 6 and 9PM Central and I'll tell you if I can make it or not. Or any time on the weekend.

So what it's going to be guys/gals - Vent or TS3?

Drae you going to offer up the TS3 server to us all?

If not let me know and I will post up the Vent info.

I'm in the slow process of changing hosts and it's rather limited at the moment due to that. So it's probably better off sticking with Vent. I only use TS3 because a friend of mine can't fucking learn to fix his settings with Vent.

Vent info is posted. For now I will PM people that PM me and have posted here the password.

Word! My Solider is near lvl 10.

I had a few epic matches. My wife started playing but only likes Rabbit.

So we did a round of that together and held on to the flag for 2:30 mins. I had to spam my nades every chance I got them as I was running from Inventory System to Inventory System. She was playing as pathfinder and had my back for the entire run. It was great.

During a CTF match I cap the flag 3 times. Took over the nme's cycle 2 times and did 3 tactical strikes on the Tech as they were trying to repair. I used all my credits to update everything I could at our base.

Crossfire and Dry Dock are my favorite maps. I got performed 4 air mails during Dry Dock capping once.

Weeeeeee.

I've also got into SMNC also but Tribes Ascend is much better.

EDIT - HiRez is sending emails out today with more Beta Keys for friends. If anyone stills needs any post here and PMs will be sent. I have 7 keys remaining.

Last edited:
bread's done
Back