MLB 2K12/NBA 2K12 Combo Pack (360) $70 - w/ $10 credit @ Amazon

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:54 AM

MVP 2005 was the shit. So much so that I was still playing it for about 2 or 3 years after it's release, using the update mods for the PC version.

Exactly. This is probably the first time I'd cheer for EA to get a company/deal. EVER!

#32 segasaturnsnk

segasaturnsnk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

I want NFL 2K back, that and NBA were the best sports games by 2ksports. If EA never had that exclusive license, we'll be playing some great football games and it won't be Madden.
Posted Image

#33 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:31 AM

Eh, you can blame 2K for that. They undercut EA that one year by releasing their game for $20, it pissed off the NFL, and the NFL decided to sell an exclusive license. EA had actually approached the NFL years prior to that, and the league basically laughed at them.

#34 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:31 AM

why would it piss off the NFL? It pissed off EA.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#35 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:33 AM

Sorry, but you're wrong. It pissed off the NFL off for two reasons. One, it made the license look worthless, which led into the second reason, which is when the license came up for renewal, publishers would have wanted to pay less to utilize it. The NFL decided they could make a lot more money by issuing an exclusive license and putting it up for auction, which is another point everyone always seems to forget. The NFL did not give EA the license. They accepted bids, and EA put in the highest.

#36 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:35 AM

how does that logic work? The license is worth however much the license is worth. If 2k wanted to pay $10B to the NFL and sell their games at 99 cents, what does the NFL care.

Do you have a link to your theory?

The NFL does not care one iota how much money their partners make. They are only concerned about how much money they make. Do you think the NFL cares whether NBC/CBS/ESPN charge $1 or $100,000 for a commercial? No, they know the value of their license. They assume that whoever bids for the rights has a reason to buy it, even if they lose money on the rights. Mostly they don't care.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#37 kevgret

kevgret

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:38 AM

Eh, you can blame 2K for that. They undercut EA that one year by releasing their game for $20, it pissed off the NFL, and the NFL decided to sell an exclusive license. EA had actually approached the NFL years prior to that, and the league basically laughed at them.

why is it a bad thing to "undercut" ea? ESPN wanted to gain marketshare with 2K5 and they did.

and It didnt piss off EA.. it actually made them scared about what would happen the next year... so they went out and grabbed the license... and the rest is horrible iteration after horrible iteration of madden.

#38 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:38 AM

The logic works quite perfectly. If you're selling a game for $20, you're not making the same money as you were when you sold the game for $50. Thus, when it times to renew the license, you're not gonna wanna pay the same price you were before. Really simple, actually.

There were stories ran pretty much everywhere. I use to have one from CNN Money saved, but that was years ago. I will search for one now.

#39 chicagocubsfan

chicagocubsfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:43 AM

the show is 10x better than this garbage. nba 2k12 is awesome though.

Playing:
:3ds: Pokemon X  :whee: 
:psp:- Killzone Mercenary
:wii:-Wind Waker HD  8-)
:ps3:- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, rain   ;)
PSN is chicagocubsfan

#40 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

The logic works quite perfectly. If you're selling a game for $20, you're not making the same money as you were when you sold the game for $50. Thus, when it times to renew the license, you're not gonna wanna pay the same price you were before. Really simple, actually.

There were stories ran pretty much everywhere. I use to have one from CNN Money saved, but that was years ago. I will search for one now.

Your logic is terrible. Let's say Take Two wins the exclusive rights. And when it comes time to renew, because Take Two decided to keep selling it at $20 (which they never would have unless their bean counters were idiots) and went out of business, then guess what? There are still 5 publishers willing to bid as much as they can for the exclusive rights. Just because (hypothetically), Take Two are complete idiots and drove themselves out of business, doesn't mean every other big publisher in the world doesn't evaluate the value of the NFL license on its own merit and how they themselves would be able to monetize that license. The value has nothing whatsoever to do with Take Two at all. It's not like Take Two could devalue the NFL brand by making sure all the players sniffed coke before kickoff.

If someone wants to pay $3M for a SB ad and shows 30 seconds of static with no brand - a complete waste - do you think anyone cares? No, the next advertiser will happily pay for that spot the following year when that clown company went bankrupt.

The NFL decided it wanted an exclusive rights contract which was more lucrative and was willing to give it to anyone who bid the highest. EA came out the winner. If Take Two was the highest bidder, they would have gotten the license. And Take Two could have sold their NFL exclusive game at any price point they chose. They could have sold it for $1 if they wanted to as long as they paid the NFL up front or on time.

The NFL didn't get pissed off at Take Two. They would have happily given the rights to Take Two if Take Two had more money and it had nothing to do with the $20 price tag. Do you think if Take Two drove a boatload of cash (a bigger boat that everyone else of course) to the NFL for the license, the NFL would say "no, sorry, we don't want your millions of dollars because you're pricing your games too cheap." EA didn't want competition (from what many were saying was a better game than madden) so they simply outbid everyone else.

I don't remember a single story that said the NFL was pissed at Take Two. They simply wanted money.

I'd still be interested in seeing a link where someone reported the NFL was mad at Take Two. But I don't think anyone else here gives a crap.

Edited by confoosious, 12 February 2012 - 05:04 AM.

Ees7Y.jpg

#41 segasaturnsnk

segasaturnsnk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

....... lol ...... the last best football ever to be released.
Posted Image

#42 kevgret

kevgret

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

Actually, your logic does not work "quite perfectly." ESPN sold MORE copies at $19.99 then they would have at $49.99 and they made up revenue with the additional sales. The 2k5 Series sold more than any other year and cut into Madden's sales... thats why madden bought the license.. they were afraid that in a few years their flagship cash cow would be in serious jeopardy.

#43 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:55 AM

Sorry, I cannot find the CNN Money article that layed out the history of the NFL exclusive license quite clearly. Here's an IGN article, though, that states what I just did (sell the game for less, you're gonna wanna pay less to the publisher), and the article is against EA having the exclusive license, considering it's called "You Can't Compete with Madden... EA and the NFL Won't Let You."

http://xbox360.ign.c.../1148006p1.html

And here's an article from Kotaku about the long forgotten NFL Gameday series, and how EA had once viewed it as a huge threat. In the article, they point out that, despite 2K underrcutting them and 2K5 being revered as the greatest thing since the forward passed, Madden still outsold it and was critically neck and neck with it. That somewhat negates the belief that EA felt like it had no choice but to get the exclusive license.

http://kotaku.com/58...-madden-nervous

#44 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

Not gonna bother arguing with you people. We get it. 2K5 was the greatest thing ever, and EA is so evil. Sorry that I just explained simple business practices to you three retards, and you want to completely ignore them, because it would negate your delusions.

#45 segasaturnsnk

segasaturnsnk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

Not gonna bother arguing with you people. We get it. 2K5 was the greatest thing ever, and EA is so evil. Sorry that I just explained simple business practices to you three retards, and you want to completely ignore them, because it would negate your delusions.

Its okay, I forgive you.
Posted Image

#46 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:59 AM

lol. Still waiting for that "NFL is pissed at 2K" article link, business genius. Still waiting. You've linked two articles that we already knew about. I'd like an article to support how the NFL was pissed at 2K for selling it at $20 from CNN Money or any source. After all, this was your grand statement. I suspect it'll never come though. I'm also still waiting for you to tell me why my post above is incorrect.

Gotta love how I completely eviscerated your logic (without any personal attacks) and your only comeback is to call me a retard. Well done. You really showed everyone here you're boss. Guess being wrong really makes you angry.

Oh by the way, I'm a big fan of madden and EA. Would you like to see my Madden 12 HOF edition?

Edited by confoosious, 12 February 2012 - 05:12 AM.

Ees7Y.jpg

#47 kevgret

kevgret

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:03 AM

yah! he culled me a returd.

Seriously dude... we were having a friendly conversation... no need to drop reatard comments.

piece of garbage.

#48 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

Amazon is now offering $10 credit for this item, details/link are in the first post.