Radiant Historia reprinting preorders $34.99

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#91 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

I wonder how many copies Atlus printed on their 1st print ??? was it under 5,000 ???

I don't have a source, but I'm willing to bet more than that. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 30,000 was considered the smallest print-run for Atlus. IIRC, Etrian Odyssey's first print at the time claimed to have 30,000, and people were saying it's the smallest print Atlus had ever done.

Btw, I sold my second print for $90, which I just couldn't pass up.

#92 rlse9

rlse9

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

I don't have a source, but I'm willing to bet more than that. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 30,000 was considered the smallest print-run for Atlus. IIRC, Etrian Odyssey's first print at the time claimed to have 30,000, and people were saying it's the smallest print Atlus had ever done.

Btw, I sold my second print for $90, which I just couldn't pass up.

I agree, it's gotta be more than 5,000, if they planned on selling at most 5,000 copies of a game, it would be pretty hard to make any money from it.

I almost bought this game when it was on sale several months ago on Amazon. It sounds like a fun game and one that I would enjoy but I'm not sure that I have the time to invest in it, too many other games to play and too many other things going on in my life right now.

Now Playing:

:wiiu: Scribblenauts Unlimited

#93 fishphoenix

fishphoenix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

My copy arrived this morning!

#94 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Would you guys recommend this for a gamer who's not-so-hot on RPGs?

Dragon Quest IX was the first RPG I ever played and I really liked it a lot. Since then, others have recommended that I try Chrono Trigger, FFIV, and Persona 3 Portable but I had trouble getting in all of them (blasphemy, I know) and never finished 'em.

I know this is supposed to be a deal thread and I don't want to clog it up with tons of 10-word reviews. Just looking for some guidance on whether or not I should pick this up now that it's been reprinted.

Thanks!

Posted Image
VGH#78: Forking Paths is now available
on iTunes, the Zune Marketplace and from http://vghangover.com.

Spoiler

#95 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

Well, it is turned based, but what makes it a bit more engaging is the grid system. The battle takes place on a I think a 3 x 6 grid, you're on one 3 x 3 and they are on the other 3 x 3. When one is in the row closest to front, they do more damage but they receive more damage, and further to the back they do less damage but they receive less damage from attacks (which makes it a good place to put your healers and other support characters)

Each character also has various skills which allow you to do damage while shifting the enemies around the board, stack them as many on one tile as possible through the various push, pull, and slide attack skills, then unleash your strongest attack to hit all of them. This is later complicated by enemies which can't be moved, shield spells which protect enemies standing in certain rows/columns, etc, to keep it from getting stale.

You also have the capability to give your turn to one of your characters or even exchange your turn with an enemy's so that you can have more turns in a row to herd all the enemies together and hit them all at once, as once your string of turns end, the enemies move off so there is only 1 per tile again.

Basically it has some of the strategist aspect of an RTS, while not actually being in real-time so you have plenty of time to plan your string of attacks.

The story is also quite engaging and the time travel mechanic is quite well done as you shift back and forth between 2 alternative history timelines with the ultimate goal of saving the world by using the differences between the two timelines to solve problems in the other timeline. Each of those 2 timelines can branch off in other different directions and result in dozens of different endings (both game ending and good).

What's nice is when you hit a bad ending, your not done, the time travel mechanic kicks in and takes you back to the last available node (there's usually a node for every 3-4 events in the timeline). Using the time travel mechanic you can freely jump around to any node in the timeline to replay a section so you don't ever have to worry about missing anything. It also means you don't have to replay the entire game over several times to see every ending.

Here's a good example of the mechanics of battle:

Edited by guardian_owl, 22 March 2012 - 04:45 PM.

Guardian_owl.png

#96 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

Well, it is turned based, but what makes it a bit more engaging...

Thanks for posting all of that...I appreciate the insights. :applause:

I'm definitely intrigued.

Posted Image
VGH#78: Forking Paths is now available
on iTunes, the Zune Marketplace and from http://vghangover.com.

Spoiler