Rocksmith $49.99 at Amazon

[quote name='pedrobeara']will it teach someone who has never touched a guitar how to play?[/QUOTE]

I believe it does help. Just don't expect to shredding like crazy in a short period of time. Just like most skills, this is something you have to practice religiously to see some results - repetition, memorization and patience is definitely needed . Stick with it and I could see someone who has never played to actually learn from it. I think it makes learning more fun and rewarding.

It is my belief that this will teach you to play guitar. I've been fooling around with my guitars on and off for the past few years. I've learned a few chords and can play the first few bars off of tab for a few easy songs. I've never stuck with it long enough to be any good at all. One of the reasons is that it's hard to dedicate hours a day to practice when you are starting out. It takes a ton of work to go from making noise to making "music". It's demotivating and frustrating.

I've been playing Rocksmith for about a month now. I dedicate as much time to it as I possibly can, and wish I could find more. It's great because it works like guitar karaoke. The lyrics, bass, and drums are all there and you fill in your guitar part. I'm still not good, and I didn't expect to be after a month, but for the first time in my life I've played songs from beginning to end (even if I'm only playing half the notes or so). It's a really good feeling and has me more motivated to stick with it more than ever.

It's well worth $50. It's well worth msrp even. I took (group) lessons for I think about 8 weeks at a community college. I've learned just as much if not more in my month with Rocksmith and have enjoyed myself way more.

Any unbiased suggestions as to what system I should get this for?

I played the electric bass as a kid / teenager and was actually pretty good but I was never able to grasp the guitar. I have an electric guitar lying around and this would give me motiviation.

Keep in mind I only have a 4GB Xbox so if it requires a lot of disc space then forget it I'll just got with the PS3 version

[quote name='GBAstar']Any unbiased suggestions as to what system I should get this for?

Keep in mind I only have a 4GB Xbox so if it requires a lot of disc space then forget it I'll just got with the PS3 version[/QUOTE]

PS3 version seemed to have a few bugs that kept you from progressing. But there was a recent update for both consoles that was suppose to fix those errors.

You can head over to the official RS forums to get a better idea
http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/151-Rocksmith

I use the 360 version and haven't had any issues, though I did install the game to the harddrive. Can't tell you what it's like uninstalled

[quote name='GBAstar']Any unbiased suggestions as to what system I should get this for?

I played the electric bass as a kid / teenager and was actually pretty good but I was never able to grasp the guitar. I have an electric guitar lying around and this would give me motiviation.

Keep in mind I only have a 4GB Xbox so if it requires a lot of disc space then forget it I'll just got with the PS3 version[/QUOTE]

I normally lean towards the 360 because of the controller, Xbox live, and to me what seems like better sales on dlc (and sales on points cards). But if space is not an issue on your ps3, I'd have to say go for it there. The patch has been released already, so I think you'll be safe. And I imagine you are going to want some new dlc songs in time & you'll be out of luck with no hard drive. That right there should be the biggest factor to consider.

I used this at my friends house and was surprised at how good it was accuracy was great, and song selection was fantastic. However you need the motivation for this to work, like any other learning tool. My friend was learning good, but then he got Skyrim and hasn't touched the game in a month.

My closest Gamestop was out of stock. The next closest showed "limited stock", so I went to the reserve for store pickup page where it shows price and store address. Took a printout to Best Buy and got them to match it no problem. Even got the "Best Buy" edition with the extra stuff.

[quote name='aalaro']Learn the guitar and pick up chicks :)[/QUOTE]

Haha had Rocksmith for a few months and sadly my skills haven't yet progressed to chicks standing in awe at my talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was basically a "campfire" guitar player before Rocksmith. I knew a bunch of chords and could play them to where they resembled a song.

I got Rocksmith and have FAR surpassed anything I learned in 6 months of expensive lessons or from teaching myself.

I plugged a guitar into a really nice Marshall amp last week at Guitar Center and wailed out a couple of Nirvana songs without issue, all the way through the solos. If you put the time into this game, you WILL learn to play guitar.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I was basically a "campfire" guitar player before Rocksmith. I knew a bunch of chords and could play them to where they resembled a song.
[/QUOTE]

This describes me perfectly. Been playing off and on for 15 years or so, never really getting over that hump. I took lessons for a few months which expanded my scope a little and helped me springboard to other stuff. But I always faltered, either out of frustration or lack of time. I've had this game less than 24 hours, so I'm admittedly still in that "madly in love" period. We'll see how I feel about it in a few months. I think this method of teaching may succeed in areas where others have failed.

The big thing is to minimize the audio lag. You'll never get it perfect, but you can get it real close. I thankfully had the stuff on hand to minimize it with my setup. I had to break the casing on a cable, but in the end it works and works well.

Can't decide whether to bite at this price. It probably won't get any cheaper at least until after the PC version comes out in May/June. Someone talk me into/out of it!

FWIW I bought a box full of junk from a local discount store, they get a lot of stuff from Target, and occasionally I'll find a gold mine. I got an Asus transformer keyboard in a box of junk for $10 in the box and working.

That said I got rocksmith with the game and cable but it had a circular cut on the disc. If anyone needs a cable on the cheap PM me.

bread's done
Back