Final Fantasy Versus XIII....Sick of waiting yet?

6er

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIx9VJWSl8

wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII

Playing through XIII-2, and started thinking....

Remember when XIII and versus XIII were announced? you know, back at E3 2006, ALONG with XIII proper?

Anyone else wondering if this is going to be the Duke Nukem Forever of the FF franchise?

Good news parts of the game are going to use SE's new engines, and its supposedly in 100% production now, whatever that means

It'll probably hit Japan this winter or something.

My hype is all gone but it's probably going to be good. At least the art direction looks stupidly great. The animation and design for the main character is so sick; love the floating thing they got going on when he's doing combos.

I think expectations are so high for it and so many people want it, its bound to disappoint everyone.

Maybe it'll be a really good action RPG though, hopefully that's what we'll get.

Of course I wish it were out, but at this point, I'd rather they take the time they need to make it AAA. It seems Square Enix Japan can do no right by most people, but I still really enjoy FF13 and FF13-2. The sad fact is that you just know 75% of the coverage of this game will be about the delays, rather than the underlying game itself.

[quote name='panzerfaust']It'll probably hit Japan this winter or something.

My hype is all gone but it's probably going to be good. At least the art direction looks stupidly great. The animation and design for the main character is so sick; love the floating thing they got going on when he's doing combos.[/QUOTE]

I do have to say that it looks pretty awesome. I do think it is pretty amazing how they've been able to push the bounds of computer animation. It is no wonder they thought they could make movies. Too bad they struggle in writing coherent storylines.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I do have to say that it looks pretty awesome. I do think it is pretty amazing how they've been able to push the bounds of computer animation. It is no wonder they thought they could make movies. Too bad they struggle in writing coherent storylines.[/QUOTE]

They should contract out to movie studios. The pros made the story and get the actors, and SE does the animation. Would usher in.a new era of animated movies. Probably scare the crap outta actors since we are probably a decade or two away from physical acting and looks being useless, and "new" John Wayne movies being made again using his voice recording.(John Wayne vs chuck Norris movie! LOL)

......Pilgrim

I'd love more movies to adopt the CGI approach, though it is very expensive and requires a lot of talent. I just really dislike seeing the same group of actors in each great movie. You see them play so many other roles it's sometimes hard to appreciate their characters as much.

Japanese animators are pretty over the top though, sometimes in ways I find off-putting. I would of liked XIII-2's opening sequence more if it was just some slick sword on sword choreography with subtle hints of magic. But instead they gotta fly everywhere and blow the world apart with every swing.

Versus looks more subtle and gritty, and that makes me optimistic.

I want it to be released and as a PS3 game. If they take a year or two more though, I am fine with that. I have plenty of time to get to it.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Any shit I gave about this game died about 5 years ago.[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree. What made it worse was how FFXIII-2 turned out... granted, I haven't played it outside of the demo (which sucked, frankly) but all the reviews and impressions I've read basically made it sound like SE either does know WTF it's doing or they're just milking the franchise. Actually, it's probably both.

This has been my most anticipated game ever since it was announced at Sony's E3 2006 press conference (which I watched live at the time). Well, to be fair, there was a 3-year break inbetween where KH Birth by Sleep took over as my most anticipated game, but this was still my #2 at least. Lemme tell you man, it's been complete torture, and these trailers they keep releasing that show this game is everything I wanted it to be sure aren't helping. I wasn't gonna buy a PS3 until this game came out, but back in 2010 I just got too impatient and bought the damn thing anyway (glad I did too as I now own 50+ games for it).

[quote name='Vinny']I gotta agree. What made it worse was how FFXIII-2 turned out... granted, I haven't played it outside of the demo (which sucked, frankly) but all the reviews and impressions I've read basically made it sound like SE either does know WTF it's doing or they're just milking the franchise. Actually, it's probably both.[/QUOTE]

They have a bazillion people working at Square Enix Japan spread across multiple cities, and XIII-2 and Versus XIII are made by completely different teams. Not saying Versus XIII's development is proceeding smoothly as planned, because clearly it's not, but you can't just assume one game is gonna suck because another with the same publisher on the box did.

After playing FFXIII, and pretty much bored to death, I lost interest or should I say faith in SquareEnix as a developer. Then I played FFXIII-2 and enjoyed it a whole hell of lot more then I thought I would. I never really followed FFXIII versus, so thats the first trailer I saw for it, and damn it looks fantastic.

[quote name='Axersia']
They have a bazillion people working at Square Enix Japan spread across multiple cities, and XIII-2 and Versus XIII are made by completely different teams. Not saying Versus XIII's development is proceeding smoothly as planned, because clearly it's not, but you can't just assume one game is gonna suck because another with the same publisher on the box did.[/QUOTE]

I never said or even implied that I'm assuming that it'll suck.:whistle2:k I said 3 things in my last post: I lost interest in Versus due to the wait, and that XIII-2 tells me SE doesn't know what it's doing (as in they don't know how to coordination "talent" you speak of) and that they're milking the franchise... or maybe I should have said "milking the series" series since they've been milking the franchise for years now.

Don't get me wrong, if it does end up being good, I'll buy it. I don't hold grudges against a company as long as they deliver a good game in the end (cough*Nintendo*cough*).

Eh... Right or wrong, I've kinda come to the conclusion that what they originally showed of Versus was more of a tech demo of their (at the time) brand new game engine than an actual game. Versus XIII is a game I'll probably buy, but I don't expect it to come out anytime soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if XIII-3 comes out before Versus. As far as I'm concerned if it comes out before the Playstation 4 then I'm good.

[quote name='Axersia']This has been my most anticipated game ever since it was announced at Sony's E3 2006 press conference (which I watched live at the time). Well, to be fair, there was a 3-year break inbetween where KH Birth by Sleep took over as my most anticipated game, but this was still my #2 at least. Lemme tell you man, it's been complete torture, and these trailers they keep releasing that show this game is everything I wanted it to be sure aren't helping. I wasn't gonna buy a PS3 until this game came out, but back in 2010 I just got too impatient and bought the damn thing anyway (glad I did too as I now own 50+ games for it).

They have a bazillion people working at Square Enix Japan spread across multiple cities, and XIII-2 and Versus XIII are made by completely different teams. Not saying Versus XIII's development is proceeding smoothly as planned, because clearly it's not, but you can't just assume one game is gonna suck because another with the same publisher on the box did.[/QUOTE]

Except pretty much any non-port/remake game made by SE in the past 5+ years or so has been shit regardless of team.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Except pretty much any non-port/remake game made by SE in the past 5+ years or so has been shit regardless of team.[/QUOTE]

Crisis Core, Dissidia, Birth by Sleep and Type-0 were all in-house projects that were extremely well-received (I can personally vouch for at least Dissidia and BBS). It's always been their outsourced projects that are lacking in quality (Dragon Quest being the big exception). And yes, FF13 and 13-2 weren't particularly well-received either, big deal. Lots of people didn't like 9, 10-2 and 12 either because they were all so different in one way or another from what people had come to expect.

The reason I'm still excited for Versus XIII is because the team behind it has never let me down before. They developed KH1 and its far superior sequel, KH2, which just so happens to be my favorite game of all time. Meanwhile, the team behind FF13 has never made a game I truly enjoyed, and unsurprisingly I ended up disliking FF13 for many of the same reasons as their previous endeavor, FF10.

So yes, I definitely think it's important to pay attention to which team is at the helm.

I'm gonna go with DoK on this one. I was a huge Square fan since Final Fantasy II came out on Super Nintendo. I haven't enjoyed one of their games very much since Valkyrie Profile 2.

[quote name='willardhaven']I'm gonna go with DoK on this one. I was a huge Square fan since Final Fantasy II came out on Super Nintendo. I haven't enjoyed one of their games very much since Valkyrie Profile 2.[/QUOTE]

I thought Crisis Core and TWEWY were pretty awesome...

I really like FF XIII

That being said it's kind of unfortunate that they are really blowing out it's universe.

The story is passable as a one-shot deal but the mythology is an absolute mess.

[quote name='camoor']I really like FF XIII

That being said it's kind of unfortunate that they are really blowing out it's universe.

The story is passable as a one-shot deal but the mythology is an absolute mess.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I mostly enjoyed the gameplay of 13 (platinumed it), but couldn't care less about the nonsense story. I can't understand what makes them think it's good enough to warrant milking.

You'd think that after Final Fantasy XIII only came together into a finished game by the skin of its teeth, Square-Enix would realize that spending the first 4 years of development on the FMV cutscenes and then scrambling to build gameplay around it at the last minute isn't the best idea.

Meh. I was never too interested in Versus anyway, the urban/mafia setting didn't really appeal to me. Bring on XIII-3 and XV. I just wonder how much of the work on Versus will be able to be repurposed into other projects (again, assuming there actually was any work done on it apart from the cutscenes).

It'll be like Duke Nukem Forever, rise from the dead in like a decade and no one will care anymore.

I am sick of waiting. I want Kingdom Hearts 3 more though. This dev team has too much to handle.

Hint of FFXIII-3
http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/07/05/is-final-fantasy-xiii-3-on-the-way

FFXIII announcement coming Sept 1, can't be DLC for XIII-2 since that's finished. Could just be a Dirge of Cerebus for Lightning though.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/07/20/final-fantasy-xiii-announcement-incoming-on-september-1

Rumor that Versus XIII was canceled and will be made into FFXV instead
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/rumor-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-has-been-cancelled/

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You'd think that after Final Fantasy XIII only came together into a finished game by the skin of its teeth, Square-Enix would realize that spending the first 4 years of development on the FMV cutscenes and then scrambling to build gameplay around it at the last minute isn't the best idea.

Meh. I was never too interested in Versus anyway, the urban/mafia setting didn't really appeal to me. Bring on XIII-3 and XV. I just wonder how much of the work on Versus will be able to be repurposed into other projects (again, assuming there actually was any work done on it apart from the cutscenes).[/QUOTE]

There was gameplay, and quite a bit too, see here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ7MwTXYLpg

There is another leaked footage trailer that actually has some "brighter" environments and looked a lot nicer. (actually the non-city environments looked pretty good in the first video too)

youtube.com /watch?v=W19QjgHHads

Still say the game looked like a higher res version of Crisis Core / Type 0

[quote name='Kazaganthi']I am sick of waiting. I want Kingdom Hearts 3 more though. This dev team has too much to handle.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/rumor-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-has-been-cancelled/[/QUOTE]

The Versus devs are the same team so I won't hold your breath for the new KH's game anytime soon.

Versus looked a hell of a lot like Crisis Core, just by watching the gameplay video, and it wouldn't shock me to see the name change, frankly it's a rebranding more than a cancellation.

They waste too much time on things like the FF7 tech demo and the agni's philosophy real time demo and not on getting product out, seems to me that they like making pretty things that aren't playable (someone that was too much into the european demo scene of the late 90's is working for Square now)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You'd think that after Final Fantasy XIII only came together into a finished game by the skin of its teeth, Square-Enix would realize that spending the first 4 years of development on the FMV cutscenes and then scrambling to build gameplay around it at the last minute isn't the best idea.

Meh. I was never too interested in Versus anyway, the urban/mafia setting didn't really appeal to me. Bring on XIII-3 and XV. I just wonder how much of the work on Versus will be able to be repurposed into other projects (again, assuming there actually was any work done on it apart from the cutscenes).[/QUOTE]

There was gameplay, and quite a bit too, see here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ7MwTXYLpg

There is another leaked footage trailer that actually has some "brighter" environments and looked a lot nicer. (actually the non-city environments looked pretty good in the first video too)

(sorry can't put 2 videos in one post, they break the thread)

youtube.com /watch?v=W19QjgHHads

Still say the game looked like a higher res version of Crisis Core / Type 0

[quote name='Kazaganthi']I am sick of waiting. I want Kingdom Hearts 3 more though. This dev team has too much to handle.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/rumor-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-has-been-cancelled/[/QUOTE]

The Versus devs are the same team so I won't hold your breath for the new KH's game anytime soon.

Versus looked a hell of a lot like Crisis Core, just by watching the gameplay video, and it wouldn't shock me to see the name change, frankly it's a rebranding more than a cancellation.

They waste too much time on things like the FF7 tech demo and the agni's philosophy real time demo and not on getting product out, seems to me that they like making pretty things that aren't playable (someone that was too much into the european demo scene of the late 90's is working for Square now)

[quote name='uncle5555']The Versus devs are the same team so I won't hold your breath for the new KH's game anytime soon. [/QUOTE]

That's what I meant. Kingdom Hearts 3 should have been worked on/working on for the past 6 years, if not for Versus. KH2 had the secret video ending in the game way back in 2005. But they were working on Versus XIII instead to get that out for the XIII spin-offs (Agito renamed Type-0 sans XIII) which I don't think they knew they would do direct sequels back then. So I think Versus will be changed and renamed FFXV most likely for PS4, just my opinion. We maybe have a better idea of what will happen on Sept 1, since this Lightning thing may be a whole new game or cross over?

I'm not sure how well the KH games do on PSP, DS, and 3DS, but the game series has a bigger following that some unreleased game I'm sure. KH3 would have been the perfect game to do for "the new PS3" back then, or even a few years ago when they realized XIII will have sequels and Agito/Versus carrying the XIII name wouldn't happen.

The Kotaku story is oddly worded. "cancelled in its' original form" means...what, exactly? It's become something else? I don't think people would be surprised if it became FFXV. In fact, most people are counting on it. I imagine changing the universe because of the horribleness that are XIII and XIII-2, might cause a significant delay and story change, just like Agito XIII becoming Type 0.

To be honest, I don't think it's coming out. Just like Last Guardian.

Also, Square should take the Nintendo approach with Final Fantasy. "NEW Final Fantasy" Make the every-man JRPG with a non-bloated story. Good guys being good guys. Bad guys being bad guys. It'd be great.

They have a bazillion people working at Square Enix Japan spread across multiple cities, and XIII-2 and Versus XIII are made by completely different teams. Not saying Versus XIII's development is proceeding smoothly as planned, because clearly it's not, but you can't just assume one game is gonna suck because another with the same publisher on the box did.

Oh yes we can. Because Square Enix is the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever did suck. Almost every game thsi generation that they released was a sucking mess that sucked more ass than a john inquiring about a hookers ass buffet. Infact Final Fantasy 13 was like the asian hooker. It looked nice but it had no redeeming values what so ever and by the time you spent enough time with it to see any sort of redeeming value, you realize that you just shitted 20-30 hours of your valuable time to get something that's comparable to the fifty dollars you spent to get a five dollar stuffed animal out of the rigged crane game. That's the kind of suck that Square Enix delivered this gen.

[quote name='Paco']Oh yes we can. Because Square Enix is the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever did suck. Almost every game thsi generation that they released was a sucking mess that sucked more ass than a john inquiring about a hookers ass buffet. Infact Final Fantasy 13 was like the asian hooker. It looked nice but it had no redeeming values what so ever and by the time you spent enough time with it to see any sort of redeeming value, you realize that you just shitted 20-30 hours of your valuable time to get something that's comparable to the fifty dollars you spent to get a five dollar stuffed animal out of the rigged crane game. That's the kind of suck that Square Enix delivered this gen.[/QUOTE]
There is just too much in there for me to reasonably quote for a sig but otherwise spot on, preach on good sir.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Correct post is correct. fuck the weeaboos who still think SE produces quality products.[/QUOTE]

Says the guy whose PSN is Makino_Tsukushi.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Says the guy whose PSN is Makino_Tsukushi.[/QUOTE]

OSHIT YOU OUTED ME!!

I think anyone who would even read this topic is a weeaboo, buddy.

Not surprised. Doubt they'll just trash 6 years worth of development, though, especially since I'm sure they want to put out as many FF-branded games as they can before the new consoles come out and they have to learn how to program for a new platform. I recall that FFXIII started out on the PS2, overstayed it's welcome, and then got moved to PS3 which set it back a lot because of the learning curve on the new system. Isn't that also what motivated the 360 port - they spent so much developing it in the transition that it was a means to generate additional profit?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Correct post is correct. fuck the weeaboos who still think SE produces quality products.[/QUOTE]

They've been pretty lacking on the console front for sure. But DQ9 was one of my favorite games, on the DS and ever. Theatrhythm is a one-trick pony, but I'm enjoying it.

The Square I loved died after the PS1 era, they managed to put out a few decent things in the PS2 era, but not as many (or varied) as they did two generations ago...

[quote name='uncle5555']The Square I loved died after the PS1 era, they managed to put out a few decent things in the PS2 era, but not as many (or varied) as they did two generations ago...[/QUOTE]

That's basically how I see Square,the PS1 was their system.All the good talent they had left after the Enix merger.

bread's done
Back