Prince of Persia Trillogy 19.99 Wal-mart non clearance

grimhope

CAGiversary!
Just picked it up for 19.99 at my local wal-mart. This wasn't a clearance price with a red sticker either. Pretty sure this should be a universal price for wal-mart, but you never know with them.

That sounds about right. I saw Mortal Kombat Kollection and the GTA collection for $19.99 at my local store.

Those who are thinking about picking this collection up should know it has some issues. For example, the dialog audio in the SoT is extremely low and a bug managed to make the Prince become invisible until the game was reset. They achieved the widescreen effect by zooming in on the picture and cutting the top and bottom portions of the screen off. The FMV is also run at its original, extremely grainy resolution. IRC the original 2D PC versions of PoP 1 & 2 that were included as bonuses in SoT have been removed.

Thank you Thrinn, I never knew the game was a clusterF.

grimhope, thank you. This price was in effect last year though. ;)

It's been this price for a while. I was waiting for a better deal, but ended up caving in a few weeks ago.

[quote name='Thrinn']They achieved the widescreen effect by zooming in on the picture and cutting the top and bottom portions of the screen off. [/QUOTE]
wow didnt know this is a very cheap and lazy way to do that

IGN scored it 8/10 and for 20 bucks seems like a good deal to me. thanks op.
grin.jpg

[quote name='Thrinn']Those who are thinking about picking this collection up should know it has some issues. For example, the dialog audio in the SoT is extremely low and a bug managed to make the Prince become invisible until the game was reset. They achieved the widescreen effect by zooming in on the picture and cutting the top and bottom portions of the screen off. The FMV is also run at its original, extremely grainy resolution. IRC the original 2D PC versions of PoP 1 & 2 that were included as bonuses in SoT have been removed.[/QUOTE]

That widescreen issue makes me not want this game, thanks for the info.

There's no "zooming" on the game itself - the game is rendered in a widescreen aspect ratio, nothing is cut off. I've played it and it's great, the graphics still hold up nicely today because they are highly stylized.

And for those who can do 3D gaming, the 3D in this game is also great. Lots of nice effects and great added perspective for platforming precision.

[quote name='iamsmart']I heard it's really good, but I also heard it's not so good.

Sources: this forum[/QUOTE]

There are game breaking glitches that are sometimes unavoidable in Warrior Within, for instance. I would say it's possible to have a perfectly pleasant experience with all three games but chances are you will have at least one problem. I ran into sound glitches in the first game, corrupted saves in the second game, and a few oddities in the third (more sound glitches, mostly) but overall only the second game gave me serious trouble.

Given that so many people do run into these issues, I have to disagree with people saying that it's a good deal, at least in principle. If you're lucky and have no trouble, then they are good games from last generation, but this package doesn't really deserve commendations considering these glitches are relics that were once fixed by Ubisoft in previous re-releases, but brought back for this collection.

[quote name='Prismatico']There are game breaking glitches that are sometimes unavoidable in Warrior Within, for instance. I would say it's possible to have a perfectly pleasant experience with all three games but chances are you will have at least one problem. I ran into sound glitches in the first game, corrupted saves in the second game, and a few oddities in the third (more sound glitches, mostly) but overall only the second game gave me serious trouble.

Given that so many people do run into these issues, I have to disagree with people saying that it's a good deal, at least in principle. If you're lucky and have no trouble, then they are good games from last generation, but this package doesn't really deserve commendations considering these glitches are relics that were once fixed by Ubisoft in previous re-releases, but brought back for this collection.[/QUOTE]

Which previous re-releases? You mean the PC versions, or is there a collection I'm missing with a patched Warrior Within?

[quote name='Phokis']Which previous re-releases? You mean the PC versions, or is there a collection I'm missing with a patched Warrior Within?[/QUOTE]

The PS2 Trilogy (PAL only) fixed up Warrior Within to the point where graphical glitches are the worst thing that might happen to you.

The PC versions (similar to the PS3 digital/physical re-release) have plenty of issues too, so it's only that 2006 compilation that didn't have frustrating, sometimes inexcusable problems. You can ruin your save by doing one little thing out of order so you can't really explore the game and basically need a walkthrough. I tried using one and still got screwed with the sand wraith glitch which makes your save useless and sometimes happens no matter what you do.

[quote name='jrutz']There's no "zooming" on the game itself - the game is rendered in a widescreen aspect ratio, nothing is cut off.[/QUOTE]
2iswf7q.jpg

These two images are taken from SoT after the prince has finished a battle when the placement of the camera is controlled by the game and not by the player. The upper image is 4:3 taken from the original version and the 16:9 below it comes from the PS3 collection. Notice how the top of his head as well as part of his feet are cropped out of the picture in the PS3 version. At least they took the time and effort to move the energy bar further down the screen so that wasn't cut off as well.

Those are two completely different scenes? You can't just compare two different images like that. If you really wanted to compare the differences, then you have to have the exact same image for both versions.

[quote name='Tsel']Those are two completely different scenes? You can't just compare two different images like that. If you really wanted to compare the differences, then you have to have the exact same image for both versions.[/QUOTE]

Try not to focus on the background, but rather the character himself. As I said, after a battle the location of the camera is controlled by the game for a moment. In that situation its position relative to your character is the same every time.

[quote name='Thrinn']Try not to focus on the background, but rather the character himself. As I said, after a battle the location of the camera is controlled by the game for a moment. In that situation its position relative to your character is the same every time.[/QUOTE]

Oh, okay. I must've missed that part. Kind of like a victory scene in a fighting game? It's been so long since I've played Prince of Persia, so forgive me for not remembering that part.

i love the PoP games, but i was disappointed with this collection. I had numerous sound issues during my playthrough. I have since traded it in.

[quote name='Tsel']Oh, okay. I must've missed that part. Kind of like a victory scene in a fighting game?[/QUOTE]Actually, yeah. The camera snaps to that view of your character for a couple of seconds, and then the game resumes as normal. I would have liked to provided the exact same image from both games, but I don't have the hardware to do so. The lower image represents exactly what I saw every time I played the game on the PS3.

For as many compromises as this collection makes, it's no where nearly as badly butchered as the Splinter Cell collection is.

bread's done
Back