Survivor: Philippines thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitfallharry219

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
You people dropped the ball on this thread.

Overall, I liked the premiere. There's quite a few hot chicks this season.

I'm surprised more people didn't have arm injuries. Probst kept telling them to fold their arms in, yet no one seemed to listen. That one lady's face got really fucked up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it might be an awesome season this time. Kinda way too many moments of people getting pissed because their tribemates talk to the other tribe. And that whole mess with the guys not wanting to give the girls fire. Dumbasses could have cut their workload in half by saying "We'll make all the fires if you girls haul all the water to camp."

Hope that Asian girl punches that one skank in the face fairly soon. It was like skank tried to hard to get them all to vote for Asian girl, but they all seemed to like it when Asian girl told skank to STFU at tribal.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Looks like it might be an awesome season this time. Kinda way too many moments of people getting pissed because their tribemates talk to the other tribe. And that whole mess with the guys not wanting to give the girls fire. Dumbasses could have cut their workload in half by saying "We'll make all the fires if you girls haul all the water to camp."

Hope that Asian girl punches that one skank in the face fairly soon. It was like skank tried to hard to get them all to vote for Asian girl, but they all seemed to like it when Asian girl told skank to STFU at tribal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I cant wait for the chick with the big ass (seemed more respectful then skank) and flamboyant gay guy to get voted out.

I really don't get the Survivor casting - every season they have to have a flamboyant gay character, and it's so freaking old at this point. If anyone is rooting for that moron, they should have their head checked.

And I'm not anti-gay at all - my mom was a lesbian and I was raised by two women. It's just so plastic and dumb and 1999.

At this point, after the trainwreck that was last season, anything would be a step in the right direction.

I'm glad Redemption Island is done with, as it was getting a bit long in the tooth for me. Also glad that we don't have any returning cast members back into the show, as that was also getting a bit long in the tooth.

The idea of having both tribes live in the same area seems like a good one as it'll generate some drama with both groups that close by. Also saves on production costs, I'd bet. :lol: The idea of
the hidden immunity idol being tribe-coded and you can't use it if you're not the right tribe was a nice change of pace.

The groups seem to be built enough to generate some amusing footage, though half of the guys' group seems like they've done time in an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog.

I agree that the "token gay cast member" idea is getting more than a little old, especially since it seems like he's a gay version of Cochrane from last season.

I can't believe that on the first challenge, with Probst repeatedly telling people to keep their arms in off of that jump, we had the one person break their wrist in multiple places and that other person look like they were in a bar fight for taking the header that they did. Obviously, they're not the smartest bunch when it comes to self-preservation.

We all know that a switch-up of the tribes is coming, but I guess we can expect it even faster if the women keep losing. And they're not just losing, they are getting DOMINATED, even with the challenges not being all that physical.

I think I know why this show has gone off the rails in the past few seasons. They aren't casting "regular" people that you can relate to as a viewer. No amount of rule changes can hide this fact.

At least 75% of the men and women look like they could be models - even one of the older ladies is smoking hot with giant fake boobs. As much as I like staring at hotties in bikinis all season it's just too much. It is the same (kind of dumb, kind of boring) "character" over and over and over. I think when Jenna and Heidi took off their clothes for the chocolate and peanut butter Survivor jumped the casting shark.

Also, Colton is embarrassing and awful. I'm sure there are tons of gay viewers out there who are pissed off because this is how they are being portrayed. That dude is a mess and doesn't seem like he could function properly in every day life - never mind in the game of Survivor.

The casting just sucks and this is why the show is floundering. It's like The Real World all over again.

[quote name='Javery']I think I know why this show has gone off the rails in the past few seasons. They aren't casting "regular" people that you can relate to as a viewer. No amount of rule changes can hide this fact.

At least 75% of the men and women look like they could be models - even one of the older ladies is smoking hot with giant fake boobs. As much as I like staring at hotties in bikinis all season it's just too much. It is the same (kind of dumb, kind of boring) "character" over and over and over. I think when Jenna and Heidi took off their clothes for the chocolate and peanut butter Survivor jumped the casting shark.

Also, Colton is embarrassing and awful. I'm sure there are tons of gay viewers out there who are pissed off because this is how they are being portrayed. That dude is a mess and doesn't seem like he could function properly in every day life - never mind in the game of Survivor.

The casting just sucks and this is why the show is floundering. It's like The Real World all over again.[/QUOTE]

The casting seems better this year (and they have always picked "models") but it does seem like the show is falling into a casting pattern of boring people or unrealistically over the top/stereotypical people like Colton and the nerdy guy last year.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']We all know that a switch-up of the tribes is coming, but I guess we can expect it even faster if the women keep losing. And they're not just losing, they are getting DOMINATED, even with the challenges not being all that physical.[/QUOTE]

Too bad because I liked it the one year when they waited until one tribe had one person left. They need to be less predictable with the merges and tribe shakeups.

I don't think they have always casted "models" - usually there were 1 or 2 good looking/fit people and the rest were just regular people. There are 6-packs all over the island this season for both the men and women.

[quote name='Javery']I think I know why this show has gone off the rails in the past few seasons. They aren't casting "regular" people that you can relate to as a viewer. No amount of rule changes can hide this fact.

The casting just sucks and this is why the show is floundering. It's like The Real World all over again.[/QUOTE]They are tossing in "real" people into the mix, though there's a higher proportion of the "model" types that were an issue with S2 or S3 when there was a lot of "pretty" people into the mix that were mostly 20-somethings.

Said "old chick with big boobs" is the wife of Brad Culpepper formerly from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers:
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/media...neers-star-brad-culpepper-appear-cbs-survivor

There's certainly a decrease of brains and increase of boobs in this show, no question. When we had the scene on last week's episode with that annoying arrogant guy talking about his alliance and all four of them were walking around shirtless, it looked like an Abercrombie and Fitch ad.

I'm just glad they didn't cast some former contestants this time around and Redemption Island is done with. Both of those items are well done in the "jumped the shark" category.

I would have to think that Colton is an attempt to have a Cochrane-type character like we had from last season, though make him gay. Real smart, CBS. :roll: He is painful to watch and seeing his clinging behavior around the womens' camp was even more painful to watch.

The women certainly aren't winning any points in the brains department with the way they're playing. No question there.

Regardless, we're still watching, aren't we? :lol:

[quote name='Javery']I don't think they have always casted "models" - usually there were 1 or 2 good looking/fit people and the rest were just regular people. There are 6-packs all over the island this season for both the men and women.[/QUOTE]

Well it isnt something they just started in the past couple of years

[quote name='yankeessuck']Well it isnt something they just started in the past couple of years[/QUOTE]

yeah, I agree. Jenna and Heidi were in what season? Season 7? That was a while ago.

[quote name='shrike4242']They are tossing in "real" people into the mix, though there's a higher proportion of the "model" types that were an issue with S2 or S3 when there was a lot of "pretty" people into the mix that were mostly 20-somethings.

Said "old chick with big boobs" is the wife of Brad Culpepper formerly from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers:
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/media...neers-star-brad-culpepper-appear-cbs-survivor

There's certainly a decrease of brains and increase of boobs in this show, no question. When we had the scene on last week's episode with that annoying arrogant guy talking about his alliance and all four of them were walking around shirtless, it looked like an Abercrombie and Fitch ad.

I'm just glad they didn't cast some former contestants this time around and Redemption Island is done with. Both of those items are well done in the "jumped the shark" category.

I would have to think that Colton is an attempt to have a Cochrane-type character like we had from last season, though make him gay. Real smart, CBS. :roll: He is painful to watch and seeing his clinging behavior around the womens' camp was even more painful to watch.

The women certainly aren't winning any points in the brains department with the way they're playing. No question there.

Regardless, we're still watching, aren't we? :lol:[/QUOTE]

We are still watching although not for much longer I'm afraid. When we turned on the DVR last week my wife said "so are we actually still going to watch this?" That is not a good sign since 3 or 4 years ago she wouldn't miss it. The changes you mentioned are definitely welcome - Redemption Island was the worst idea the show has ever had and I'm also sick of returning cast members.

It all comes down to casting though - it isn't fun watching dummies do nothing out there with no strategy and no ability to see the big picture. In a season where I would think a dwarf has ZERO chance of winning (he would win jury votes just because of his condition, IMO, unless he was a total asshole - we don't know yet), I'd take his chances over 1/2 the cast right now especially Colton who sits around and does nothing of value and is obviously trying to create an alliance with the girls tribe. It is the first goddamn day! Just blend in and help around camp as much as possible and you will be safe for a while. How do people not know this? He's such an idiot.

Its improved though so theres reason to have hope. Reward challenges, no returning players, and no redemption are good signs.

I can't think of any elimination from any other season that made me as happy as the one tonight. He was a genuine 1st class asshole, and he was obviously nowhere near as smart as he thought he was.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I can't think of any elimination from any other season that made me as happy as the one tonight. He was a genuine 1st class asshole, and he was obviously nowhere near as smart as he thought he was.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I can't think of any elimination from any other season that made me as happy as the one tonight. He was a genuine 1st class asshole, and he was obviously nowhere near as smart as he thought he was.[/QUOTE]

I always enjoy when the people who become incredibly cocky are taken down a notch. Generally though, those people have a reason to be cocky, usually because they are controlling the game or in the powerful alliance. This guy was just out and out completely full of himself, not sorry in the least to that rooster get his head chopped off.

It was shocking how badly the guys got trounced in the reward challenge. The girls just spent all night shivering in the rain and not sleeping at all - they should have been mentally drained. I did find it funny that Cat got so excited when she won after the 7th try - what a moron. I also cringed when one of the girls made a comment about the women being weak just because they were women. I forget exactly what was said but it was surprising to hear someone on the show have that belief.

[quote name='yankeessuck']Why would the 4 guys form an alliance of 4 on a tribe of 9? Not good at math I guess.[/QUOTE]They must have assumed their Abercombie and Fitch catalog looks were enough to get them by and failed basic math.

4 out of 9 isn't a majority any time I've looked at it. :dunce:

I can't believe those women weren't willing to give up some canoe time after using the guys for fire and shelter. One more night of rain and the guys will be able to trade an amber(what one of the women called an ember) for the whole fishing set.

[quote name='yankeessuck']Why would the 4 guys form an alliance of 4 on a tribe of 9? Not good at math I guess.[/QUOTE]

Loved how Matt formed an alliance with a numbers disadvantage and then was so cocky about it and so surprised when he got voted off. If that wasn't one of the dumbest moves in Survivor history, I don't know what is.

[quote name='hufferstl']I can't believe those women weren't willing to give up some canoe time after using the guys for fire and shelter. [/QUOTE]

Same here - that was just idiotic. They have been borrowing fire (and not keeping it going) and coming inside the guys' shelter whenever they need to get out of the rain yet they won't loan their canoe for a couple of hours? It's just crazy - next time they want fire or shelter I'd tell them to get lost.

It was the way the guys came at them about it. Instantly they were like "We want that canoe you guys kicked our ass and won." Like helping with the girls' fire wasn't THAT big of a deal until they lost that canoe. Dumbass guys just asked for the canoe. Girls should have said "Sure, take the canoe. I don't know what you're going to fish with, but good luck!"

If anything, that lady in charge over their should be telling the nancies of the group to stop going over there and learn to use the fucking flint. Their shelter seems fine, they just can't stay warm. They did fix it up by patching up the roof and putting up a wall on the side. They're not really helpless, they just have no clue how to make a fire.

One thing I learned this episode: the only one I'm rooting for is Troyzan. He's about the only one at this point with what it takes to have an easy path to the end and win this shit.

That lawyer was an idiot. Trying to tell Troyzan he's a "rooster" and should keep the strong, when they're competing against a team full of weak girls that don't even care to learn basic survival skills other than making palm frond roof tiles and treating them like a commodity when the shelter is usually constructed and finished by day two at the latest.

I don't think I've ever used the f-slur as much in my whole life as I did in just this one night. And I'm a gay man.

At least Bill was classy about it. Hope he wins "Fan Favorite" at the end of the season.

What the hell did I just watch? Colton has got to be one of the most horrible people ever to grace my TV - fictional characters included. He is just an awful awful person.

[quote name='hufferstl']I am officially on team : women now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I usually don't pay too much attention to this show when my fiance watches it, but tonight I found myself marveling at how this men's tribe seems to be the greatest conglomeration of abject morons to ever grace a television screen.

EDIT: I also laughed out loud when the guy who couldn't string two sentences together without saying something to the effect of "them dirty poors" started talking about surrounding himself with open and accepting people.

And Colton is really fucking stupid, too - it'd be so easy for the rest of the tribe to blindside that dumb shit without him playing his idol. Instead, the guys act like they're deathly afraid of him and follow his every limp-wristed word.

At least the entire nation seems united in their contempt for him, I guess? With any luck, they'll torch his house or something. Seriously, what an awful human being.

[quote name='hufferstl']But he isn't stupid-they all do whatever he says, until next week when I bet they mix up the teams.[/QUOTE]

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Wow. I can't believe how stupid the men on this show are.

However, I was laughing my ass off when Colton talked about the black people he knows......like his housekeeper. Classic.

I felt bad for the little guy last night. It was obvious he wasn't trying to betray anybody or whatnot. He just had a brain fart moment.

I fucking *knew* Colton would say his housekeeper or maid when Probst asked him what black people he knows. I'll be so glad when he gets the boot. He's quite the piece of shit.

You would think that with facing discrimination from being gay, you would be more apathetic to things like race and classism. What a horrible piece of shit.

What I really don't get is how at the start of the season he was a little whiny bitch that was crying to be with the girls, and now he is somehow the leader of the men's tribe...

[quote name='hufferstl']But he isn't stupid-they all do whatever he says, until next week when I bet they mix up the teams.[/QUOTE]

When happened last night wasnt stupid? It was the dumbest thing I have ever seen on the show.

I sure hope they are mixing up the teams. After last night its the only thing that can save this season. There very well be zero likeable people on the show.

Colton is a giant bigot. Couldn't believe it since he is gay. It is more than just race and class. He called every derogatory name for a little person behind Leif's back. Flat out disgusting.

You can add Tarzan to that list too. How could he possible try to stick up for that crap at tribal... For being a plastic surgeon (no way I truly believe it), he is the dumbest of the bunch. He was adament about tribal. What a bunch of morans.

And here I thought they would finally get rid of Alicia...

[quote name='masked lemon']You would think that with facing discrimination from being gay, you would be more apathetic to things like race and classism. What a horrible piece of shit.[/QUOTE]

This is what my wife said a couple episodes ago, and I told her "I guarantee you he has money." That's the only possible way someone could be completely oblivious to the adversity the gay community faces on a daily basis. What's even worse though is that we then learn he's somehow Republican (I'm guessing he doesn't have the slightest clue how they feel about "his people") and from Alabama.

What got me though was how the women's tribe was all over Kat for being young and not having any life experience, when Colton's "profession" is listed as "college student" and he clearly doesn't have any idea how the world works, but none of the guys will question him at all.

And I still don't understand how revealing that he had the immunity idol changed the entire game. Nobody really liked him, and it seemed pretty obvious that he would be the first to go. Then, because he has the idol, he's just untouchable? Either trick him into thinking you're voting someone else off...or split the damn vote, force him to play the idol, and get him next time. It's not that freaking complicated. The only thing I can figure is that outside of the "pretty boys", no one was thinking alliance that early...and the fact that Troyzan despised the "pretty boys" prevented him from going with them (which was just a stroke of luck for the other outcasts in my opinion).

Overall, watching this season feels like watching an episode of Jerry Springer. It can be entertaining, but has no redeeming qualities or anything that you could consider rational thought. At this rate, the thought of any of them getting a million dollars makes me sick.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']

And I still don't understand how revealing that he had the immunity idol changed the entire game. Nobody really liked him, and it seemed pretty obvious that he would be the first to go. Then, because he has the idol, he's just untouchable? Either trick him into thinking you're voting someone else off...or split the damn vote, force him to play the idol, and get him next time. It's not that freaking complicated. The only thing I can figure is that outside of the "pretty boys", no one was thinking alliance that early...and the fact that Troyzan despised the "pretty boys" prevented him from going with them (which was just a stroke of luck for the other outcasts in my opinion).

Overall, watching this season feels like watching an episode of Jerry Springer. It can be entertaining, but has no redeeming qualities or anything that you could consider rational thought. At this rate, the thought of any of them getting a million dollars makes me sick.[/QUOTE]

This is why they need to get rid of the hidden idols. It used to be people would get it and they would work to blindside them or the person with the idol with hide. Now people get it and the person with the idol gets a free pass to the end of the game.

There might be a couple of women who are likeable. Maybe.

[quote name='yankeessuck']When happened last night wasnt stupid? It was the dumbest thing I have ever seen on the show.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think he is the stupid one(though I do hate him), I just think that if three of those guys would have switched their vote to Colton- he would be going home, since they knew he wasn't using the idol. They have to draw the idol out. But I'll bet he'll be using it soon if they switch the teams up.

[quote name='hufferstl']I don't think he is the stupid one(though I do hate him), I just think that if three of those guys would have switched their vote to Colton- he would be going home, since they knew he wasn't using the idol. They have to draw the idol out. But I'll bet he'll be using it soon if they switch the teams up.[/QUOTE]

Well there is no advantage to choosing to go to tribal so its obviously stupid and it was his idea.

[quote name='lordopus99']Colton is a giant bigot. Couldn't believe it since he is gay. It is more than just race and class. He called every derogatory name for a little person behind Leif's back. Flat out disgusting.

You can add Tarzan to that list too. How could he possible try to stick up for that crap at tribal... For being a plastic surgeon (no way I truly believe it), he is the dumbest of the bunch. He was adament about tribal. What a bunch of morons.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I was really ticked when Colton was just being a racist, but since he's shown himself to be every other kind of bigot, he's just going to make me turn off the show. Forever, probably. I came from a gay household, and I'm tired of them manipulating gay culture by casting all these complete azzturds so they can have their wacky gay character. Between Amazing Race and Survivor, Mark Burnett and company have driven these stereotypes into the ground.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']And I still don't understand how revealing that he had the immunity idol changed the entire game. Nobody really liked him, and it seemed pretty obvious that he would be the first to go. Then, because he has the idol, he's just untouchable? Either trick him into thinking you're voting someone else off...or split the damn vote, force him to play the idol, and get him next time. It's not that freaking complicated. The only thing I can figure is that outside of the "pretty boys", no one was thinking alliance that early...and the fact that Troyzan despised the "pretty boys" prevented him from going with them (which was just a stroke of luck for the other outcasts in my opinion).[/QUOTE]

That's the thing I find so bizarre. I mean hasn't anyone seen just how much power they've put in his hands? They voted out Bill purely because Colton does not like him. That's it. Bill wasn't in the dominant alliance, sure, but is that really any immediate threat that needs to be taken out now? If I was on that tribe, I'd worry about how long it would be before I did something to piss off that prima donna and be in his sights next. Yet, instead, everyone just goes along with his idiocy for no understandable reason.

[quote name='lordopus99']Colton is a giant bigot. Couldn't believe it since he is gay. It is more than just race and class. He called every derogatory name for a little person behind Leif's back. Flat out disgusting.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. If he made the same comments about someone's race CBS probably wouldn't even have aired it. It was appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back