Flipping used games from retail pricing, compiling a list.

ExtremeEagle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Over the past few months I've found quite a few games at Gamestop and the like that are worth more online than they are priced. If anyone else does this, I figured it may be helpful to get together a list of all the games that sell for less at normal retail price(not on sale or anything) to make it easier when checking out a store.

Here's a few of the ones I normally look for:

PS3:
Most big-box JRPGs(Hyperdimension Neptunia, Ar Tonelico Qoga, Atelier Rorona/Totori)
Trinity Universe
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Limited Edition

Wii:
Metroid Prime Trilogy
One Piece Unlimited Adventure
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword Wiimote bundle

DS:
Radiant Historia(about to reprint soon though)
Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations
Phoenix Wright Justice for All
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney

Gamecube:
Phantasy Star Episode I + II, I + II Plus
Pikmin 2
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Cubivore
Resident Evil 2

PS2:
.hack //GU Rebirth
.hack Quarantine
Rule of Rose
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 1 and 2

Anyone else have any more that you check the local stores for?

Prime Trilogy is priced at 70 at GS last I checked, about what you'd pay online if not a bit more. I've been pretty lucky to find about half that list at my local GS. Could also add the Baten Kaitos games and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance to the GCN list.

Everytime I see Prime Trilogy it usually doesn't have the slipcover and the disc is scratched to hell. Glad to have bought it 2 years ago for $20

Bella Sara for Nintendo DS

But it looks like GS charges 19.99 for a used copy, so you probably won't make too much on it.

Culdcept Saga

DS
Theresia
Luminous Arc
Black Sigil
Etrian Odyssey 1+2
Dark Spire
Strange Journey
Summon Night
Time Hollow
Mazes of fate

PS2
Ku-on
Haunting Ground- depending on completeness
Shadow Hearts 1 or 2- depending on completeness
Monster Rancher 4

PSP
Hexyz Force
Crimson Gem Saga
Legend of Heroes 2 and 3
Undead Knights

Wii
Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi 3

and if it's a local gamestore:

Xbox
Spy vs spy
Conkers
Psychonauts
Godzilla
KOTOR2
Battlefront 2
Republic Commando
Morrowind GOTY

Dance Dance Revolution X2 (ps2). Sells,for 9.99 and goes for about $25-$40 online. Wasnt sold as a standalone game so theres demand for it.

We used to have a flipping thread like this, and I thought we all agreed it was a bad idea since the result was that as soon as something was discussed or mentioned, all of a sudden the prices on Amazon took a huge dive making them effectively worthless.

[quote name='spmahn']We used to have a flipping thread like this, and I thought we all agreed it was a bad idea since the result was that as soon as something was discussed or mentioned, all of a sudden the prices on Amazon took a huge dive making them effectively worthless.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's how things work. As soon as something good is found, the prices tank because the market is flooded.

[quote name='Vinny']Well, that's how things work. As soon as something good is found, the prices tank because the market is flooded.[/QUOTE]

Not so much, have you ever tried finding any of these titles locally? :lol: I picked up a Cubivore disc-only at Gamestop and it was the only one available in MD; sucks to be the rest of the 5 million people in my state.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Not so much, have you ever tried finding any of these titles locally? :lol: I picked up a Cubivore disc-only at Gamestop and it was the only one available in MD; sucks to be the rest of the 5 million people in my state.[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess what I said doesn't apply to things you can't find...:lol:

[quote name='Vinny']Well, I guess what I said doesn't apply to things you can't find...:lol:[/QUOTE]

*Jumps up and down excitedly* Exactly :cool: I don't think there's any harm in listing last generation stuff, most of that went right out the door when Gamestop did its B2G1, B2G2, etc. deals.

Thanks for this thread! I just picked up Hyperdimension Neptunia using my free $25 gift card.
Selling it will be an easy way of turning the gift card into cash plus a little extra. :D

[quote name='spmahn']We used to have a flipping thread like this, and I thought we all agreed it was a bad idea since the result was that as soon as something was discussed or mentioned, all of a sudden the prices on Amazon took a huge dive making them effectively worthless.[/QUOTE]

Yep, every time a new flip was found, lurkers took the info and screwed the market. By starting a flipping thread, you're ultimately hurting your own chances to flip well (by raising awareness, prices will fall and availibility will decrease).

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Not so much, have you ever tried finding any of these titles locally? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I've seen a bunch of these titles locally.

[quote name='Doomstink']Yep, every time a new flip was found, lurkers took the info and screwed the market. By starting a flipping thread, you're ultimately hurting your own chances to flip well (by raising awareness, prices will fall and availibility will decrease).[/QUOTE]
Yep. This is true of ANY flipping, whether it's 'rare' games or common crap that has a decent trade-in value whether coupled with a trade promo or not.

This is also why, no matter how much people beg for the information on what to sell to where, I won't give em shit until I'm done exploiting that mf'er to death myself.:booty::razz:

Because I've only purchases a few games from GS in the last 5 years or so, how accurate is their in store pickup game locator? There were a good number of games that showed being at the store and were not, I checked with employees after I looked and got the same results. They had one of 7 games on my list that showed up with the locator. It was a new game, the guy goes to get the game and has all the manuals all folded up in an envelope with the disc stick out. I look at the guy and shake my head no and he had this look of shame.

Also one of the gamestops I went to yesterday was a ghetto gamestop, while I was waiting in the line of stench, files were actually all up in my face because the store was filled with them.

Because it's the bestest version of Madden EVAR. That's why.;)

[customspoiler=Real Reason]People are being sarcastic and listing stuff that isn't at all rare or sought after in order to dissuade people from begging for info on other harder to find games, buying up tons of those and then flooding the resale market with them, thus driving the price of other resellers' copies down.[/customspoiler]

While we're on the subject, I have a flipping question.

What's your advice when selling something on Amazon that's new and because it's an old game there's only like one available new for say $300? Has anyone had any experience with people actually paying those prices, or should I find a price point between the used copies and the ridiculously priced one?

Thanks for any input.

[quote name='GoldFly']While we're on the subject, I have a flipping question.

What's your advice when selling something on Amazon that's new and because it's an old game there's only like one available new for say $300? Has anyone had any experience with people actually paying those prices, or should I find a price point between the used copies and the ridiculously priced one?

Thanks for any input.[/QUOTE]
I've run into this myself on Amazon. I just put up the game for whatever the going price for it is on Amazon(or eBay if there are no Amazon listings). I have a sealed copy of Packy & Marlon for the SNES up on Amazon that I think I put up at $170 or something and it's been sitting there for months already. Chances are it'll never sell at that price, but I have no clue where to attempt to sell it otherwise. I have never used eBay due to all of the stories of people being scammed on there with either claims that the item either never arrived or was SNAS(significantly not as described).

Of course, having no digital camera to snap pics of it with may also lead to it not selling, since people like to see pics of the stuff they're gonna buy usually.

The best idea I've had so far is to look up completed listings on eBay.

In my example cheapest used on amazon is 50, there was only one new one up for $300. On ebay the only new one that sold recently went for $110. So I listed mine on amazon for $150 to see if anyone bites.

[quote name='mattrobertsjr']why is madden 2006 rare.[/QUOTE]

06 isn't nearly as rare as 07, but I thought we should keep this list limited to items you might actually find.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've run into this myself on Amazon. I just put up the game for whatever the going price for it is on Amazon(or eBay if there are no Amazon listings). I have a sealed copy of Packy & Marlon for the SNES up on Amazon that I think I put up at $170 or something and it's been sitting there for months already. Chances are it'll never sell at that price, but I have no clue where to attempt to sell it otherwise. I have never used eBay due to all of the stories of people being scammed on there with either claims that the item either never arrived or was SNAS(significantly not as described).

Of course, having no digital camera to snap pics of it with may also lead to it not selling, since people like to see pics of the stuff they're gonna buy usually.[/QUOTE]

Amazon is worse then eBay as far as buyers being able to lie and abuse the system to rip off sellers.

"claims that the item never arrived" - To cover yourself from this.....Amazon - Signature Confirmation vs eBay - Delivery Confirmation. For SNAD from what I understand on Amazon buyers are trusted no questions asked if they file an A-to-z claim and gets to keep the item and get their money back while on eBay if they claim SNAD they at least have to go to the trouble of sending back the item (or at least pay to send something back if they are just out to flat out rip you off).

Also for a sealed SNES game eBay would be better since your buyer would almost surely be a serious collector that would want to see pictures showing the condition of the box & wrap.

[quote name='FOnewearl']Amazon is worse then eBay as far as buyers being able to lie and abuse the system to rip off sellers.

"claims that the item never arrived" - To cover yourself from this.....Amazon - Signature Confirmation vs eBay - Delivery Confirmation. For SNAD from what I understand on Amazon buyers are trusted no questions asked if they file an A-to-z claim and gets to keep the item and get their money back while on eBay if they claim SNAD they at least have to go to the trouble of sending back the item (or at least pay to send something back if they are just out to flat out rip you off).

Also for a sealed SNES game eBay would be better since your buyer would almost surely be a serious collector that would want to see pictures showing the condition of the box & wrap.[/QUOTE]
For larger items(like the COD: Black Ops Prestige bundles) I've been using signature confirmation when selling on Amazon. But for pennied guides I've been sending stuff with just DC and all manners of ways, between FCM to Priority.

But thanks for the advice. I'll definitely have to try and dust off the eBay account if that's going to help me sell this sealed game finally.;)

[quote name='mattrobertsjr']why is madden 2006 rare.[/QUOTE]

Only the PS2 version is rare. It's because that's the season that EA started making Madden for the next-gen Xbox 360 and was the last year they put effort into the PS2 game, so it appeals to PS2 purists. Plus it has Donovan McNabb AFTER he puked in the huddle and lost the Super Bowl, so it arguably breaks the Madden Curse since it happened after. If you can find these out there anywhere, snatch em up and list them or try to trade them for other rares like Ikaruga for GC or Crash Bandicoot for PS1.

Madden2006SE.jpg
Yahoo! Sports - Sports News, Scores, Rumors, Fantasy Games, and more

Since the local GS's are sold out, I'll share this gem:

College Hoops 2k8 - PS3

GS sells for $3 flips for around 30-35 complete on Amazon.

[quote name='pksellers']Since the local GS's are sold out, I'll share this gem:

College Hoops 2k8 - PS3

GS sells for $3 flips for around 30-35 complete on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

......why in the world does that game go for $30+? Celebration of Greg Oden getting another surgery?

[quote name='myl0r']......why in the world does that game go for $30+? Celebration of Greg Oden getting another surgery?[/QUOTE]

Other than that, it was the last 2K college BB game, some people prefer that over the EA releases, so they're willing to pay for it.

Was Hyperdimension Neptunia premium converted to used? Or should I bother calling the GS stores with new listings and seeing if any of theirs are the premium?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Was Hyperdimension Neptunia premium converted to used? Or should I bother calling the GS stores with new listings and seeing if any of theirs are the premium?[/QUOTE]

No. There was a standalone version of the game reprinted a few months ago along with a price drop ($30 new, $26 used), which had the same exact UPC as the Premium Edition. By that time, most of the Premium Editions had already sold out minus a few here and here. But people who found Premium Editions were able to buy it for the new MSRP of $30.

bread's done
Back