Petition for Body Modification to be included in Human Rights

Pass. Were I a business owner I would not want someone with a tattooed puzzle face/horns/giant gaping ear lobes to represent me and my business. The amount of business lost because of employees who look like that would be far greater than any business gained because of them. Is that fair? No, but it is reality. If I owned a tattoo shop it'd be a different story.

Unfortunately, most of the imagery associated with tattoos and piercings are often disgusting and offensive to most people. While I don't have a problem with people doing whatever they want to themselves, I'm not sure I want to take my wife out for a night of fine dining and be waited on by someone with 100 piercings in their face.

If you want to extensively mod your body on the non-clothed area, fine. Just know that a minimum wage job and the circus are the best you'll probably ever do.

I say all of that as a male who has worn earrings, had a tongue piercing, and is currently contemplating a mid-life crisis tattoo. I just know that for my job there are things I can and cannot do to my body. My tat will be covered and there is no metal in my head while at work.

[quote name='Kerig']As someone who has none, I would support this as well so long as there are some "limitations" imposed:

(NSFW due to language)
http://www.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/fuck-you-mugshot.jpg

There are many places of employment that forbid any visible tattoos whatsoever. That's definitely something that should be addressed until better tattoo removal methods exist.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem though, isn't it? If a unicorn tat on your arm is expressing yourself, so is fuck you on your forehead. The thing is, there's always something offensive to someone so better to not just have it visible at all, IMO.

I doubt this will ever happen and i think it's laughable they mention religion in the petition. As someone said above, if the tat is offensive, and visible at all times they have the right to decline employment.

If you're choosing to do it, it isn't a Human Right. This isnt something you have no control over like race, creed, sexual orientation, etc.

Unless you're being forcibly branded, your choice of "body modification" isn't an essential right.

[quote name='powercreep']That's the problem though, isn't it? If a unicorn tat on your arm is expressing yourself, so is fuck you on your forehead. The thing is, there's always something offensive to someone so better to not just have it visible at all, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has to cry about something, if you don't like it, look away or ignore it. It doesn't hinder your religion and what you believe in. Your and their freedom of speech is still in-tack. I mean seriously, if you don't like it why do people let things like this control and over take their lives?

If you are the employer and you don't like that stuff, then don't hire those people. Life seems so simple, but it's only a test to see if you can fit into other people's ideals. It's a freakin scam and a travesty. I know why I don't wonder why people commit suicide.

Maybe (although I don't think so) I am just stupid and crazy guy?

Eldergamer hit the nail on the head. If it's a voluntary practice, it doesn't deserve special protection as a human right.

This is fucking stupid and only selfish assholes do things like this.

As a person who has many tattoos, I fully knew when I was getting them that they would prevent me from doing certain jobs. I voluntarily choose to get them and thus should have to live with the consequences. I picked a career in which how you look doesnt matter (ironically being a camera op the talent in front of the camera has the most pressure on looks in the world) No one is forcing you to get 10 god damn piercing in your face.

Talk about having your cake and eating it.

[quote name='eldergamer']If you're choosing to do it, it isn't a Human Right. This isnt something you have no control over like race, creed, sexual orientation, etc.

Unless you're being forcibly branded, your choice of "body modification" isn't an essential right.[/QUOTE]

Immutable characteristic

I don't think this should have anything to do with (or be anywhere in) the equal opportunity act. I'm totally cool with anything people wanna do to themselves or any way they wanna look (I'm no conservative of any kind, I have both ears pierced with large captive hoops, no tattoos though - it's cool with me).

However, you can't expect employers the country over to hire people with extreme body modification for jobs in which they're going to be interacting with the public, or are in a professional setting.

It's not always about what the manager/owner/employee thinks, it's about what the customers and the public think, and having a dude with a giant swastika/gang signs/profanity all over his face, or a giant bar sticking through his septum is gonna freak most people out, and they're not gonna come back to your place of business. That's the main issue.
I mean, I've seen stuck-up asshole people get weirded out when there's a disabled person working somewhere. A guy with a physical or mental disability is trying to lead a normal life and work a job at Walmart, and people don't want anything to do with them, they look at them like they are freaks. And these are people who we as a society are taught may be less fortunate than us, and need our collective help, and even they get ostracized. Could you imagine what the reaction would be to a heavily tatooed/pierced person in that situation? People whom society already often consider freaks? Customers wouldn't stand for it.

I'm sorry Jeremy, you can be a lizard man if you want, but you're not gonna get the good jobs. Them's the breaks.

[quote name='eldergamer']If you're choosing to do it, it isn't a Human Right. This isnt something you have no control over like race, creed, sexual orientation, etc.

Unless you're being forcibly branded, your choice of "body modification" isn't an essential right.[/QUOTE]

By that reasoning you should be able to not hire someone because of religion (since in this country it is a 100% choice).

I support this petition completely.

[quote name='Sycowulf']By that reasoning you should be able to not hire someone because of religion[/quote]
Hah...wut? No it isn't because...

(since in this country it is a 100% choice).
....this isn't exactly true. The community you're born and socialized in pretty much determines your religious leanings. When christians start tattooing the Sistine Chapel on their face instead of wearing crucifixes, we can talk. Muslim women are also discriminated against for wearing a hijab all the time, but that's also something slightly different.

I support this petition completely.
That's nice.

As someone with visible tatts on my forearms, I do NOT agree with this stupid shit. You know the deal when you "modified" your body, so don't act like a bitch about it now.

I will settle the argument

You want to modify your body? that IS your Human Right

But as an employer they have the right to obtain profit legally

How do you expect them to obtain customers with this showing iPods?
Strange%2BMexican%2B%2527vampire%2Bmother%2527%2Bwith%2Btitanium%2Bhorns%2Band%2Btattoos%2Bon%2Bevery%2Binch%2Bof%2Bher%2Bbody%2B1.jpg

Thank you...

I win...

...if you have a tattoo/piercings and think you should have equal rights to jobs

...go away :D

This is stupid. If people are dumb enough to get tattoos and piercings all over where they are visible when wearing normal clothing or a uniform then they deserve what they get...

Tattooing and body piercing is a choice. If you CHOOSE to get tattoos/piercings in a way that may affect your job opportunities then that is YOUR problem. Not Americas nor the businesses' problem. No one is forced to get, or born with tattoos or piercings. What a complete joke. I am all for tattoos, dont get me wrong...but trying to make people who get tattoos protected under federal law from "discrimination" is total BS... Tattoos and piercings are a choice, just like it is the choice of the employer of whether or not to hire someone with visible tattoos and/or piercings.

We all make choices in life. You just have to deal with it. If you chose to do something stupid you have to live with the consequences. Plain and simple. I like tattoos but am not about to get one on my face, or get "sleeves" or anything like that where the tattoo(s) would be visible while at work, nor would I pierce the sh!t out of my face or anything like that because that would be moronic as I know that would definitely impact my ability to gain employment. Therefore I would only have my dumb-ass self to blame if I did just that.

Unbelievable the sh!t that people come up with...totally unbelievable... Like confooshous said, it is a complete insult to people who are born with disabilities or who are discriminated due to race or religion. Totally ridiculous...

To the best of my knowledge, EOE protection for religion is there to prevent an employer from explicitly asking questions such as "Are you this religion" and using that as a factor in the hiring decision making. Body modification falls under dress code. It was your choice to look the way you did at the interview, so don't think you deserve a pass simply because of your life decisions.

Also the way the petition is worded is awfully backhanded and insulting since it insinuates that most people with body modifications have never held "respectable jobs" due to their self-inflicted condition.

[quote name='Tony Stark']
Strange%2BMexican%2B%2527vampire%2Bmother%2527%2Bwith%2Btitanium%2Bhorns%2Band%2Btattoos%2Bon%2Bevery%2Binch%2Bof%2Bher%2Bbody%2B1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

For the horde!

Seriously though, the notion of people mutilating themselves and then crying about it is hilarious. Suck it up weirdo.

It's kind of pointless to make this a law. If your looks bother the employer they'll find something legal to deny you the position. It's like age discrimination. Technically it's illegal to not hire a 60 yr old person but it's not like you can keep that a secret at an interview so it happens all the time. While it's illegal it's almost impossible to prove. Seems like a waste of time to me unless you like the idea of a tattooed individual not getting a job then suing the employer and flooding the court system.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']It's kind of pointless to make this a law. If your looks bother the employer they'll find something legal to deny you the position. It's like age discrimination. Technically it's illegal to not hire a 60 yr old person but it's not like you can keep that a secret at an interview so it happens all the time. While it's illegal it's almost impossible to prove. Seems like a waste of time to me unless you like the idea of a tattooed individual not getting a job then suing the employer and flooding the court system.[/QUOTE]

just like people arent suppose to discriminate against you because they saw your Drunk Facebook pics, but it happens 24.7

It's pointless because businesses have already relaxed standards. I went to Chase the other day and my teller tattooed the shit out of his neck.

Companies like Disney haven't relaxed their tattoo standards yet, but they have relaxed standards on jewelry, beards and sideburns. Who needs a petition?

I think they should go the opposite way. Let a business hire whoever they want based on whatever criteria they have. If they dont want to hire women, they shouldnt have to. If they only want to hire tattood eskimos then more power to them.

And there are plenty of Hot Topics across the country for all you wannabe artists who let other people tattoo their own designs on your body.

[quote name='Spokker']It's pointless because businesses have already relaxed standards. I went to Chase the other day and my teller tattooed the shit out of his neck.

Companies like Disney haven't relaxed their tattoo standards yet, but they have relaxed standards on jewelry, beards and sideburns. Who needs a petition?[/QUOTE]

yeah, but i will be damned if some super tattooed person is standing next to Mickey when my child wants a picture

you choose to get tattoos/piercings then you choose to be unemployed or almost no options for employment

[quote name='Tony Stark']
you choose to get tattoos/piercings then you choose to be unemployed or almost no options for employment[/QUOTE]But what I'm saying is that those options are growing. When I grew up my dad used to say, "Get a tattoo? Good luck working at the bank or any office." He was right at the time and right to say it, but standards are changing. There's my bank teller anecdote, and I can also report that one of my professors, a very intelligent and accomplished academic, has his forearms tattooed. He wears long-sleeved shirts to hide them but they are still very apparent.

I imagine that tattoos remain a deterrent, but if you can overcome them with qualifications, you may do well.

The problem is that many people who are attracted to tattoos are shitheads anyway so it doesn't much matter.

Like I said, I agree with you in principle, but you can't deny that standards are changing.

[quote name='Spokker']But what I'm saying is that those options are growing. When I grew up my dad used to say, "Get a tattoo? Good luck working at the bank or any office." He was right at the time and right to say it, but standards are changing. There's my bank teller anecdote, and I can also report that one of my professors, a very intelligent and accomplished academic, has his forearms tattooed. He wears long-sleeved shirts to hide them but they are still very apparent.

I imagine that tattoos remain a deterrent, but if you can overcome them with qualifications, you may do well.

The problem is that many people who are attracted to tattoos are shitheads anyway so it doesn't much matter.

Like I said, I agree with you in principle, but you can't deny that standards are changing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but him hiding the tattoos doesnt make standards changing he is still hiding them or attempting to

someone used an example of a bank teller, last time I checked a bank teller isnt a very "profitable" job, its like the equivalent of a McDonalds manager, prolly making $20,000+ a year

you will never see a CEO tat tat tatted up

in fact all those reality shows where there are Tattoo owners, they arent even tatted up as much as random people

personally I did a business plan for a local tattoo shop and the owners only had a couple and they were hidden for the most part

tramp stamp story: I used to work at a restaurant, I worked in the kitchen but when I had time I would pop my head out and stand at the entrance at the kitchen for air. Well one of the waitresses was 25-ish, nice looking as well, and she was cleaning off a table and bent over and her tramp stamp was showing and customers were talking about it I saw them

so even one little tattoo can make you judged

[quote name='levi333']As soon as they put "ugly" on the list we can talk.[/QUOTE]

I read a study one time where ugly people were less likely to be hired and less likely to make as much as attractive people. Body modification is just an offshoot of "ugly" since most people view facial tattoos/piercings as unacceptable appearance.

[quote name='Spokker']But what I'm saying is that those options are growing. When I grew up my dad used to say, "Get a tattoo? Good luck working at the bank or any office." He was right at the time and right to say it, but standards are changing. There's my bank teller anecdote, and I can also report that one of my professors, a very intelligent and accomplished academic, has his forearms tattooed. He wears long-sleeved shirts to hide them but they are still very apparent.

Like I said, I agree with you in principle, but you can't deny that standards are changing.[/QUOTE]

Over time things may change, but I don't see them changing too much now. I've never seen a bank teller with a tattoo. I'd put down your experience in one of two ways.

A. You live a very progressive part of the US, possibly somewhere on the east coast.

B. The bank manager owed someone a favor, or it was a family member.

You seeing one bank teller with tattoos is hardly a trend to think the stereotype is gone.

[quote name='dohdough']....this isn't exactly true. The community you're born and socialized in pretty much determines your religious leanings. When christians start tattooing the Sistine Chapel on their face instead of wearing crucifixes, we can talk. Muslim women are also discriminated against for wearing a hijab all the time, but that's also something slightly different.
[/QUOTE]

The community you are raised in influences your religious choice, but unless you are completely incapable of thinking for yourself it does not decide it. That is all I am going to say.

[quote name='Sycowulf']The community you are raised in influences your religious choice, but unless you are completely incapable of thinking for yourself it does not decide it. That is all I am going to say.[/QUOTE]
Good. Because you're completely wrong. Given the choice of being shot in the arm or shot in the leg is a choice too, but being indoctrinated and socialized to have a religion is usually not a choice any more than you can choose where to be born. Deciding to break away from religion has it's consequences as well and is never as simple as braining your way out of it.

I have tattoos and I think this is absolutely stupid. Trust me, I'd love take my half-sleeve all the way down but as a professional I need to draw the line and I've been fully aware of this before I got my first one years before I even decided on a career when I was 18.

Besides.. the tattooed body mod people make the best burritos at chipotle and for selfish reasons I'm not willing to let them out into the wild.

So you are saying someone who has tattoos and piercings all through their face should be able to get a job as someone who has to face and talk to people everyday? That's not going to fly, why? Cause most people are shallow and judgmental, if they walk into a store and see that they walk out and never shop there again. Stores always, and I mean always have a policy against stuff like that. When I say stores I don't mean "joes tattoo shop" you know what I mean.

As someone with tattoo's that are visible and hidden and stretched lobes the way I look at things is like this, if you have a problem with the way i look i dont really need to work for you anyways. I think it all comes down to closed mindedness really. How i look has little or nothing to do with my ability to preform a task.

[quote name='levi333']As soon as they put "ugly" on the list we can talk.[/QUOTE]

I hate to break it to you but ugly is already on the list. If I have 2 guys who are equally qualified and one guy is grossly overweight he's not the one that will be getting the job. If I have 2 girls who are equally qualified and one is an 8 and the other is a 3 the 8 is getting the job. It isn't fair but it is like this pretty much everywhere.

[quote name='Javery']I hate to break it to you but ugly is already on the list. If I have 2 guys who are equally qualified and one guy is grossly overweight he's not the one that will be getting the job. If I have 2 girls who are equally qualified and one is an 8 and the other is a 3 the 8 is getting the job. It isn't fair but it is like this pretty much everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Yup... that's pretty much the way things are... hard to fight it.

With regard to tattoos and body modification, I can tell you that, as a professional, I don't have any tattoos/piercings and neither do the vast majority of my colleagues (at least, nothing visible). Some of it is self selection, but some of it is also what is perceived as being appropriate for a specific setting.

People certainly should have the right to modify their bodies as they please... but, they should also realize the reality that there are associated consequences.

There is a certain thing called looking professional

I have had phone interviews where they have asked if I am good looking before

What I dont understand is why people dont pick jobs that allow you to have such mods. I have tattoos all over, I usually go about 8 months before shaving and my natural dreaded hair hangs down to my shoulders.

There are 2 things you can do, pick a career that allows such things because other attributes are more valued (creativity) or simply be so good at your job that no one can tell you what to do anyway. You can be balls to the wall racist but if you are the top toaster salesmen they will find ways to keep you around.

Hell I have shown up to corporate meetings wearing monkey t-shirts and some of you might remember when I jumped up in the middle of a meeting and did the Dougie. Do I get judge as soon as I walk into a room full of suits? Yes, but when the shit its the fan they all turn to me to fix it.

This is prime example of why I hate creativity people even though I work in that field. Being creative doesnt magically excuse you from social rules. You wanted to partake in creative expression via visible body mods....fine...but be prepared to work that much harder. Period.

[quote name='TheMightySlinky']As someone with tattoo's that are visible and hidden and stretched lobes the way I look at things is like this, if you have a problem with the way i look i dont really need to work for you anyways. I think it all comes down to closed mindedness really. How i look has little or nothing to do with my ability to preform a task.[/QUOTE]

Unless your very first task when a customer enters the store is to not make them immediately reveal their WTF? face. If the people we're hoping will give us money in exchange for our goods or services are immediately repulsed, you FAIL.

[quote name='Tony Stark']There is a certain thing called looking professional

I have had phone interviews where they have asked if I am good looking before[/QUOTE]

LOL! Aren't you the CEO of your company, Mr. Stark? Why are you on a phone interview? Also, you are as handsome as they come so no worries there.

bread's done
Back