Interracial Marriage on the Rise.

eldergamer

CAGiversary!
So, this story was making the news last night. I'm very pleased to hear the results. We're up to 8% of all marriages!

Some interesting facts...
sdt-2012-rise-of-intermarriage-02.png

Cheapy D and his wife are at the top of the list.... Whereas me and my wife are third from the bottom. Maybe next time I'll choose more with my pocketbook in mind as opposed to my heart.

And if you're looking to marry someone of a different race?
Well, Asian or Hispanic are where you should be looking.
(Unless you already are Asian or Hispanic, I guess)

sdt-2012-rise-of-intermarriage-04.png

A few more intersting graphs to take up space for you.

sdt-2012-rise-of-intermarriage-06.png

See the whole study here:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/02/16/the-rise-of-intermarriage/1/

You'll notice that Asian women marry out of their race at about 2 to 1 Asian males. And Black men marry outside nearly 3 to 1 compared to black females.

Hahaha...this is really the wrong forum for this.

Asian males and black females have very deeply engrained negative stereotypes, albeit contrasting ones, which strongly contribute to these statistics as corroborated in many studies regarding desirablity. On the otherhand, black males and Asian females are the most fetishised. Funny how that works out.

There's nothing new here, but some people seem to get the idea that this means that racism will eventually die out when we have a more multiracial society. We only need to look south of the border to see that that'll never happen.

[quote name='bardockkun']Whites seem to have a mad case of that yellow fever.

Yes, I had to say it.[/QUOTE]

Statistically I've done better with almost dating asian chicks; all the white girls have been getting swooped up by fancy P. Diddies--so being a white guy it's much easier to outperform the effeminate/shattered asian man than it is to defeat the powerful negro.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Statistically I've done better with almost dating asian chicks; all the white girls have been getting swooped up by fancy P. Diddies--so being a white guy it's much easier to outperform the effeminate/shattered asian man than it is to defeat the powerful negro.[/QUOTE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaJhLyDhsgc

[quote name='dohdough']Hahaha...this is really the wrong forum for this.

Asian males and black females have very deeply engrained negative stereotypes, albeit contrasting ones, which strongly contribute to these statistics as corroborated in many studies regarding desirablity. On the otherhand, black males and Asian females are the most fetishised. Funny how that works out.

There's nothing new here, but some people seem to get the idea that this means that racism will eventually die out when we have a more multiracial society. We only need to look south of the border to see that that'll never happen.[/QUOTE]

No, there is something new here. The number of new interracial marriages has jumped from 6% to 15% in 30 years. That's impressive.

I'll be sure to let my wife (black female) know that she has deeply engrained negative sterotypes.

You want her to snap her fingers and go "Oh no you didn't!!" as well?

I'm also sure that most of those marriages for black men and asian women are for fetish reasons as well.
To love and to fetish. :roll:

[quote name='eldergamer']No, there is something new here. The number of new interracial marriages has jumped from 6% to 15% in 30 years. That's impressive.[/QUOTE]
Actually, it isn't; it's just a number, but feel free to explain what's so impressive about it instead of being vague. edit: Hell, I might even agree with you.

I'll be sure to let my wife (black female) know that she has deeply engrained negative sterotypes.

You want her to snap her fingers and go "Oh no you didn't!!" as well?
I implied that they were socially attached as qualified by the sentence after it and not that Asian males and black females are walking stereotypes from Breakfast at Tiffany's or rap videos.

I'm also sure that most of those marriages for black men and asian women are for fetish reasons as well.
To love and to fetish. :roll:
To deny that there isn't an expectation of how people have been socially defined and categorized is ignorant as balls. Whether it's conscious or sub-conscious, we are all effected by them. Just because you married a black women doesn't make you an expert on race or exempt you from how people are socialized in the US.

[quote name='musha666']Why does it matter? Seriously, people need to stop focusing on race so much all the time.[/QUOTE]
HAHA...yeah...that way, we don't have to talk about the systematic inequities that people of different races experience. We can just que it up to people being lazy and "culture."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been dating a Chinese girl for about 8 or so years now - so I assume we will be included in the White/Asian stats eventually. The median % combined earnings seem scary low to me. I know it is only median, but the highest @ 71K doesn't seem too hot. Of course that doesn't take into consideration area, etc.

I'm white and my wife is Asian (Filipino). I was 40 and she was 33 when we married in 2008.
Income >70k and no kids!

Nobody says or acts like it is out of the ordinary that we are together (to our face anyway). In fact, most people actually show good vibes towards us. Perhaps it is because we are both happy and smile often. Or perhaps we're just lucky.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']White (me)/Asian (husband.. well, half Asian). And I don't have to deal with bullshit male Asian stereotypes![/QUOTE]
around a solid 8?

White/Asian is barely a typical "interracial" marriage with how common it seems to be.

On a sidenote, I bet old racist people are having a field day with jokes and other grumblings. "Look at that girl...she's with a black man! Grrrrrrrr, what's wrong with the world in these days? When I was a kid *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*"

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']White/Asian is barely a typical "interracial" marriage with how common it seems to be.

On a sidenote, I bet old racist people are having a field day with jokes and other grumblings. "Look at that girl...she's with a black man! Grrrrrrrr, what's wrong with the world in these days? When I was a kid *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*"[/QUOTE]
More like white male/Asian female have composed the majority of interracial relationships in the past, present, and foreseeable future...just want to be accurate.

[quote name='KaneRobot']You got to love love love love love...your negro maaaaaan.[/QUOTE]
:applause:

Goddamn great movie and album.

[quote name='dohdough']Hahaha...this is really the wrong forum for this.

There's nothing new here, but some people seem to get the idea that this means that racism will eventually die out when we have a more multiracial society. We only need to look south of the border to see that that'll never happen.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I don't think that the lack of interracial marriages is because of racism (at least for the most part). I think that people just tend to go with the norm and date within their race. My current girlfriend is Mexican (I'm white), but most other girls that I've dated/gone on dates with have been white. I wouldn't say that I hate Mexicans, but I guess just cultural differences tend to keep me out of that dating pool. (My girlfriend now is whitewashed to the max. :lol:)

I honestly have no problem dating ANY person, as long as I like their looks/personality. It just so happens that I tend to hang out with mostly white girls. But I guess being in a fraternity at a 70% white college will do that.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Yes, that is what I meant. White guys love their Asian women and that makes up a huge porition of "interracial" relationships it seems.[/QUOTE]

You have to assume the inverse is true then. Asian Women lover their white men?
I mean, marriage isn't just one way. And most of the Asian/White marriages these days aren't G.I.'s bringing war brides back home.

sdt-2012-rise-of-intermarriage-07.png

Also from the study, about divorce:

Divorce. Several studies using government data have found that overall divorce rates are higher for couples who married out than for those who married in—but here, too, the patterns vary by the racial and gender characteristics of the couples. An analysis conducted a decade ago found that 10 years after they married, interracial couples had a 41% chance of separation or divorce, compared with a 31% chance among couples who married within their race, according to a study based on the 1995 National Survey of Family Growth

A lot of the white nationalists are into interracial marriage and have Hispanic and Asian brides.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Yes, that is what I meant. White guys love their Asian women and that makes up a huge porition of "interracial" relationships it seems.[/QUOTE]
Many of them are white men who have given up on American women. They seek a more traditional marriage and it leads them to Hispanic and Asian women who tend to be foreign-born.

Here's an excellent primer on the concept: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONBVM4IWV1E

The discussion begins at 1:20.

Look at the show Modern Family. Very progressive show, apparently, but Al Bundy is with a hot Latin mama and has an aging ex-wife, which is a very conservative idea in my mind, if you can pull it off. That whole show is pretty light on liberal and progressive ideas despite the hype, but that's getting to off-topic.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I'm old school and have some white on white loving in my marriage.[/QUOTE]This is nothing to be proud of.

Someone told me I was in an interracial relationship once. The thought had never occurred to me before then. But then again, we both put down "white" on the census. I simply have another box to check off. She does not.

We do not plan to have children, so I'm cool with the anti-race mixers I believe. They aren't coming for me just yet. I know they're out there somewhere, perhaps at Ron Paul's campaign meeting, just strategizing about what they're going to do about me. The racist/Nazi/white supremacist boogeyman is out there somewhere!

[quote name='eldergamer']You have to assume the inverse is true then. Asian Women lover their white men?
I mean, marriage isn't just one way. And most of the Asian/White marriages these days aren't G.I.'s bringing war brides back home.
[/QUOTE]

It is an interesting point about why Asian women are drawn to white males more than other races.

The appeal of Asian females seems straightforward. Super thin women are what are glamorized in the media, and a higher percentage of Asians are slender than other racial groups. My last long-term relationship was with an Asian, and that was definitely a big part of the physical attraction for me as I'm just drawn to very thin women with dark hair and dark eyes.

I don't necessarily have a preference for an Asian over slender, dark haired/eyed white females. There are just fewer of the latter (at least in the US with our high obesity rates etc.).

[quote name='Spokker']This is nothing to be proud of.

Someone told me I was in an interracial relationship once. The thought had never occurred to me before then. But then again, we both put down "white" on the census. I simply have another box to check off. She does not.

We do not plan to have children, so I'm cool with the anti-race mixers I believe. They aren't coming for me just yet. I know they're out there somewhere, perhaps at Ron Paul's campaign meeting, just strategizing about what they're going to do about me. The racist/Nazi/white supremacist boogeyman is out there somewhere![/QUOTE]

Who the fuck said i'm proud of the skin color of my wife LoL? It doesn't matter if the person you married is black brown tan or yellow.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Who the fuck said i'm proud of the skin color of my wife LoL?[/quote]I was being sarcastic.

It doesn't matter if the person you married is black brown tan or yellow.
If it didn't matter then we wouldn't have this thread. The original poster is pleased with the results of the recent study.

[quote name='dohdough']There's nothing new here, but some people seem to get the idea that this means that racism will eventually die out when we have a more multiracial society. [/quote]

Now this is an area where we agree. Racism will never end because it is a facet of human nature. Some of the most chaotic, violent and struggling areas in the world are highly diverse, and the conflicts are often based on cultural/ethnic divides. It's not just the United States.

[quote name='Spokker']A lot of the white nationalists are into interracial marriage and have Hispanic and Asian brides.

Many of them are white men who have given up on American women. They seek a more traditional marriage and it leads them to Hispanic and Asian women who tend to be foreign-born.
/QUOTE]

But that sterotype doesnt seem to be true anymore. Look at the graph above. 10% more native born Asians marry outside the race compared to foreign born.

And it's twice as many natural born vs foreign born for hispanic.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It is an interesting point about why Asian women are drawn to white males more than other races.

[/QUOTE]

There's still a subset of Asians out there that think marrying white is "moving up."

[quote name='docvinh']There's still a subset of Asians out there that think marrying white is "moving up."[/QUOTE]
Not to mention that Asian males are targets of some pretty deeply seeded harmful stereotypes. Lack of exposure of strong Asian males in mass media is part of that.

Anyone that thinks that Asian guys are a bunch of anti-social nerds with no game has never been to an Asian karaoke bar.

[quote name='dohdough']Not to mention that Asian males are targets of some pretty deeply seeded harmful stereotypes. Lack of exposure of strong Asian males in mass media is part of that.[/quote]Jeremy Lin is going to change all that.

Anyone that thinks that Asian guys are a bunch of anti-social nerds with no game has never been to an Asian karaoke bar.
Another stereotype.

[quote name='dohdough']Not to mention that Asian males are targets of some pretty deeply seeded harmful stereotypes. Lack of exposure of strong Asian males in mass media is part of that.

Anyone that thinks that Asian guys are a bunch of anti-social nerds with no game has never been to an Asian karaoke bar.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I love my karaoke.:)

[quote name='Spokker']Jeremy Lin is going to change all that.[/QUOTE]
No he isn't.

Another stereotype.
William Hung is NOT what I'm talking about. The point is that if you go to an Asian karaoke joint, it's not going to be a scene from The Big Bang Theory.

[quote name='docvinh']Hey, I love my karaoke.:)[/QUOTE]
Who doesn't my brother!;)

Interesting conversation. I am glad to see everyone is keeping it light, but fairly intelligent. It's a diverse group here on CAG.

Bravo!

[quote name='dohdough']
William Hung is NOT what I'm talking about. The point is that if you go to an Asian karaoke joint, it's not going to be a scene from The Big Bang Theory.[/QUOTE]
Come on, the Asian karaoke bar is a total stereotype. It evokes images of drunk Japanese businessmen who can only loosen up after a few rounds of sake. You're using one stereotype to try to disprove another.

They all have some basis in truth.

[quote name='Spokker']Come on, the Asian karaoke bar is a total stereotype. It evokes images of drunk Japanese businessmen who can only loosen up after a few rounds of sake. You're using one stereotype to try to disprove another.

They all have some basis in truth.[/QUOTE]
Actually I'm not, but feel free to continue with your litany of stereotypes.

hint: Karaoke bars are really popular places where young people actually hang out, be obnoxious, and have fun. Not just a place where old business men get drunk and sing old songs shittily.

[quote name='dohdough']Not to mention that Asian males are targets of some pretty deeply seeded harmful stereotypes. Lack of exposure of strong Asian males in mass media is part of that.

Anyone that thinks that Asian guys are a bunch of anti-social nerds with no game has never been to an Asian karaoke bar.[/QUOTE]

Interesting conversation because we had this over our family Christmas. My niece is obsessed with Asian men. She also made a youtube video about it.

When I asked her what the fascination, she said, "they are naturally tan and not harry"

Anyway, is this becoming more popular with younger people? Reverse Yellow fever?

(This is not my cousin btw, just some random youtube chick) But its similar to the video she made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFgRU064-w0&feature=related

As a (mostly) Asian guy who isn't attracted to Asian women, I welcome this "Reverse Yellow Fever."

I love me some white women. :lol: ...Which is apparently the way to go, income-wise.

[quote name='billyrox']Interesting conversation because we had this over our family Christmas. My niece is obsessed with Asian men. She also made a youtube video about it.

When I asked her what the fascination, she said, "they are naturally tan and not harry"

Anyway, is this becoming more popular with younger people? Reverse Yellow fever?

(This is not my cousin btw, just some random youtube chick) But its similar to the video she made.[/QUOTE]

Your niece is also your cousin?

That must get confusing.

[quote name='Magus8472']Your niece is also your cousin?

That must get confusing.[/QUOTE]

She's my first cousin's daughter, but I call her my niece because I grew up with her father.

[quote name='billyrox']She's my first cousin's daughter, but I call her my niece because I grew up with her father.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense.

bread's done
Back