The memory cards are grossly overpriced.

Rebelphoenix

CAGiversary!
The write speeds are class 2 (3mb/sec), the read speeds are class 4(10mb/sec). These cards should be under a dollar a gig. Keep these read/write speeds in mind in your decision to buy digital or get retail. I'm going retail every time unless there's no other option.

The same thing goes for Xbox 360 HDDs. It's just another way for them to make money. Even if you don't download games, most games require a memory card to save, so most people will have to get one anyhow.

You're eight months late on this argument. The minute Sony announced prices for their cards, people were upset about it.

I'm just buying a 32gb today and NEVER looking back!! Not worth it to think about how long I can go with the puny 4gb..

[quote name='Rebelphoenix']The write speeds are class 2 (3mb/sec), the read speeds are class 4(10mb/sec). These cards should be under a dollar a gig. Keep these read/write speeds in mind in your decision to buy digital or get retail. I'm going retail every time unless there's no other option.[/QUOTE]

Hey did you see this dancing baby yet? It's as recent and unique as the complaint you're making:
baby1.gif

Really? We are going back to that, I'm well aware that the Playstation brand has always required memory cards. What is disturbing is the profit margin they are making on these things. It's at least a 300% markup.

[quote name='Rebelphoenix']Really? We are going back to that, I'm well aware that the Playstation brand has always required memory cards. What is disturbing is the profit margin they are making on these things. It's at least a 300% markup.[/QUOTE]

Why do people get so worked up over companies making a massive profit on something? It happens all the time. Vote with your wallet, they just price stuff where they think the market will bear. Of course I managed to snag one of the 4gb cards for 0.02 and getting the 8gb card with the 3G bundle so I haven't been real affected by all this.

[quote name='Rebelphoenix']Really? We are going back to that, I'm well aware that the Playstation brand has always required memory cards. What is disturbing is the profit margin they are making on these things. It's at least a 300% markup.[/QUOTE]

The proprietary 128kb cards for the PS1 were overpriced. The proprietary 8MB cards for the PS2 were overpriced. The proprietary HDD enclosure/firmware for the 360 are overpriced. So why the big fuss about Sony making money on yet again another proprietary memory format? FFS, Apple grossly overcharges on every single little thing and people never seem to bitch about that.

[quote name='Nogib']The proprietary 128kb cards for the PS1 were overpriced. The proprietary 8MB cards for the PS2 were overpriced. The proprietary HDD enclosure/firmware for the 360 are overpriced. So why the big fuss about Sony making money on yet again another proprietary memory format? FFS, Apple grossly overcharges on every single little thing and people never seem to bitch about that.[/QUOTE]

Great post. Especially about Apple being overpriced but no one seems to complain about them

[quote name='Nogib']The proprietary 128kb cards for the PS1 were overpriced. The proprietary 8MB cards for the PS2 were overpriced. The proprietary HDD enclosure/firmware for the 360 are overpriced. So why the big fuss about Sony making money on yet again another proprietary memory format? FFS, Apple grossly overcharges on every single little thing and people never seem to bitch about that.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so my previous snarkiness aside... That's precisely the thing. If you wanna look at price per gig sure the Vita cards are overpriced, the thing is though they aren't even the worst offenders. You know, the other thing people are failing to look at is piracy. The PSP was absolutely decimated in terms of piracy. If keeping these cards proprietary helps combat piracy then I'm all for paying a little bit extra because I don't want to see developers jumping away like they did with PSP.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ok, so my previous snarkiness aside... That's precisely the thing. If you wanna look at price per gig sure the Vita cards are overpriced, the thing is though they aren't even the worst offenders. You know, the other thing people are failing to look at is piracy. The PSP was absolutely decimated in terms of piracy. If keeping these cards proprietary helps combat piracy then I'm all for paying a little bit extra because I don't want to see developers jumping away like they did with PSP.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, that's why I'm not complaining about the proprietary memory cards or their prices. The PSP was ruined by heavy piracy; if this is what Sony needs to do to prevent that, then blame the people who hacked the PSP and stole the software, not Sony. And, if Sony makes some extra profit on the memory cards, so what? If we don't support them, we won't see good gaming products like the Vita in the future.

To be honest guys.. Lets be real here *sits down calmly and lights his pipe..* It's ONLY a matter of time before a company releases something of an adapter for it. microSD to PSVita memory card..
The Memory Stick Duos used MagicGate as a proprietary set back.. but look what happened. Remember the PSP? There was a company that made an External HDD for it! when 4gb of memory was HUGE!
remember this monstrosity??
datel-hd-4GB-ss1.jpg

Now i know thats silly but we soon got to this world.. Did any of you guys see the Photofast Memory stick DUO to micro SD adapter? 2 Micro SD cards up to 32 GB..
41ejceZH89L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's going to happen gentlemen. Just be patient. *puffs on pipe*

[quote name='The Afroman']To be honest guys.. Lets be real here *sits down calmly and lights his pipe..* It's ONLY a matter of time before a company releases something of an adapter for it. microSD to PSVita memory card..
The Memory Stick Duos used MagicGate as a proprietary set back.. but look what happened. Remember the PSP? There was a company that made an External HDD for it! when 4gb of memory was HUGE!
remember this monstrosity??

Now i know thats silly but we soon got to this world.. Did any of you guys see the Photofast Memory stick DUO to micro SD adapter? 2 Micro SD cards up to 32 GB..

It's going to happen gentlemen. Just be patient. *puffs on pipe*[/QUOTE]

I dont think you realize how small a Vita memory card actually is.

6572286971_bb72a3bf16_z.jpg

No no. i do. thats not stopping them from making a ribbon cable that feeds into the PSVita. The first external HDD had a ribbon cable that had the end of a memory card duo pinout .
195.jpg

Oh cool, never heard of that pro duo dual slot adapter for the PSP. Might get two 16 gb micro sd cards and never have to really worry about swapping around memory sticks again.

One 16 gb for PSP games and saves. Another for PS1 games, videos, and saves.

[quote name='Rebelphoenix']Airlines don't do that anymore.[/QUOTE]

dear...I think the ppl in coach are hungry. bwahahaha.

[quote name='Smashbro29']I'd kill for an adapter right about now, I got 8 gig and I'm PRETTY scared I'm gonna run out QUICK.[/QUOTE]

I have less then 2GB on my 32GB card. If Sony had full compatibility with digital PSP titles and/or PS1 titles I would've easily needed another memory card.

If you guys don't mind putting a little work in, you could easily get by with an 8GB card. You can't have every single game you own with you, but do you really need every single game with you?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']If you guys don't mind putting a little work in, you could easily get by with an 8GB card. You can't have every single game you own with you, but do you really need every single game with you?[/QUOTE]
yes its 2012 i should be able too. damn it!!

[quote name='62t']I dont think you realize how small a Vita memory card actually is.

6572286971_bb72a3bf16_z.jpg
[/QUOTE]

My dreams of a an adapter helping people's wallets is crushed X(

[quote name='fezlopez']My dreams of a an adapter helping people's wallets is crushed X([/QUOTE]

Not really. I think someone could make an adapter with a connector that extends into the card slot while the card itself is housed outside.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']If you guys don't mind putting a little work in, you could easily get by with an 8GB card. You can't have every single game you own with you, but do you really need every single game with you?[/QUOTE]

If I didn't want to have all or most of my games with me at all times I would just buy physical copies of the games.

Right now an 8GB card would give me Uncharted and a few other titles.

If no one buys these things Sony will lower the price. Everyone just buy a 4gig and get by for as long as you can until Sony's like, "fuck, shit ain't selling."

[quote name='Chris in Cali']If no one buys these things Sony will lower the price. Everyone just buy a 4gig and get by for as long as you can until Sony's like, "fuck, shit ain't selling."[/QUOTE]

Fixed. :lol:

bread's done
Back