The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings for Xbox 360 TRU $44.99 FS

kevgret

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12644778

This is the enhanced edition:

Compared to the initial award winning PC release, the Xbox 360 edition will feature lots of new and exciting content. Additional hours of gameplay for the Xbox 360: New major adventures set in previously unseen locations, expanding the story and introducing new characters, mysteries and monsters. New Game Introduction and cinematic: All new animations and cut scenes, including a new, three and a half minute pre-rendered cinematic depicting the assassination of King Demavend of Aedirn. BAFTA Award winner and Academy Award nominee Tomasz Baginski brings this key historical event to life, setting the stage for the story told in The Witcher 2. Upgraded interface, designed specifically for the Xbox 360: Game camera and targeting have been redesigned for the Xbox, and with upgraded pad controls, players will now be able to experience fully The Witcher 2's spectacular and thrilling combat. Enhanced Edition content: GAME DVDs The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings game on 2 DVDs. OST CD: Audio-CD with in-game music. WORLD MAP: A map of the game's world. QUEST HANDBOOK - The Witcher 2 quest handbook for both novice and experienced role-playing fans. GAME MANUAL: A rulebook and interface explanation to help you get started.

Ooh, they're pulling a Reckoning.

Decisions, decisions. Already in for the Dark Edition - perhaps I should pick up the vanilla version at TRU and keep the Dark one sealed...

Having heard how good this is, I am very tempted. A question: Do you you need to play the first one to get what's going on in Witcher 2? Or is this a completely separate story?

[quote name='Leftylikesgames']Having heard how good this is, I am very tempted. A question: Do you you need to play the first one to get what's going on in Witcher 2? Or is this a completely separate story?[/QUOTE]

I just watched the ign video review of the PC version and they say you do not.. but they say you might have to stop and go to your jounal to review names and places that are discussed in the game until you start to know them.

I'd absolutely love to get this one day 1, but I think I'd rather play the Witcher 1 first. Unfortunately I have no pc right now, so maybe I should just not bother. It seems like they really put in a lot of effort to make sure they brought this over to the 360 correctly.

I have both games for the PC. The first 1 is pretty much a self contained story that is resolved by the end so you really aren't missing much by not playing it. Even with the first game, there's a series books that take place before it so there's a lot of backstory, but I think the second game is totally playable without any of that and the in game encyclopedia is really extensive.

It's a really good game that the developers put a lot of time and effort into. In Poland The Witcher was a popular book series first so they take it very seriously. Particularly if you like choice and consequences and seeing how your choices play out and what impact they have I think this game does that better than almost any other game.

The structure of it lends itself to being played through at least twice so there's definitely some possibility for replayability.

It's unfortunate that I think having the number 2 in the game is going to turn a lot of people off from buying it and I wish they had left it out truthfully, but I think the game is excellent on its own merits and is quite playable without having played the first game.

and the wait for amazon and newegg to match begins.. hopefully amazon learned from their koa-reckoning mistake and matches the preorder price from the beginning instead of having to dishout promos to everyone who got fucked by preordering/buying on release instead of waiting 3 days for the price match.

that being said, they should make $45 the new msrp for new releases. i would gladly buy games day 1 everytime if they did that.

[quote name='technicalstylez']preorder bonuses-

best buy- tshirt
amazon- digital comic
gamestop - keychain

i dont recall tru having a listed preorder bonus[/QUOTE]

I would much rather have 15 off than a keychain:)

[quote name='technicalstylez']preorder bonuses-

best buy- tshirt
amazon- digital comic
gamestop - keychain

i dont recall tru having a listed preorder bonus[/QUOTE]

I don't think TRU has anything.. but I rather save $15 bucks than get any of the trinkets above...

I might bite... Is there any detailed videos or something about the dark version and what it consists of? And how much is that version running for?

[quote name='infamy']I might bite... Is there any detailed videos or something about the dark version and what it consists of? And how much is that version running for?[/QUOTE]

IGN has a description..

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1217333p1.html

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is coming to Xbox 360 April 17, and buyers of the game's $79.99 Dark Edition will receive extra items in their big, fancy box. In addition to the quest book and world map included in the standard version of the game, the Dark Edition includes a making-of disc and original soundtrack, a 200-page art book, wolf's head witcher medallion, and some stickers.

Those who pre-order The Witcher 2 from various retailers will also receive other game-related memorabilia.

Xbox 360 Avatars, including Geralt of Rivia for the fellows and Triss Merigold for ladies, two wolf's head t-shirts, a medallion key chain, a comic book, and a pet for your Avatar make up the pre-order bonuses. We don't know how this extra content will be separated, but we know the items will be available via various, to-be-determined retailers.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition adds four additional hours of gameplay across two new quests in new settings, and CDProjekt Red still has additional features to announce. Be sure to read our new preview of what could be 2012's next great RPG.

[quote name='infamy']I might bite... Is there any detailed videos or something about the dark version and what it consists of? And how much is that version running for?[/QUOTE]

Full info is here:

http://buy.thewitcher.com/

If you go to the Dark Edition page they have an unboxing promo video.

If the art book is the same as the one that came with the PC CE it's large and quite nice.

I keep hearing, I think fans of the first one, bitching about this game on various forums.

Is it just a case of sequel hate or is this game genuinely inferior in some way?

[quote name='Gaming-Module']I keep hearing, I think fans of the first one, bitching about this game on various forums.

Is it just a case of sequel hate or is this game genuinely inferior in some way?[/QUOTE]

The two are rather different and some people who liked the first don't like the second and vice versa. Of the two, I think the second is much more of a console style game so I can see it working better on the 360 than the first.

The first was more of a straight RPG with combat that was based on timing (chain attacks) while the second has more action oriented combat. I think they're both good in their own way, but I can see how someone coming from the first would find the second too different.

That said, I do think the second game is much more along the lines of what the average 360 player would expect. I don't think the first game would go over well at all on the 360 unless the combat were totally overhauled.

Whenever I saw coverage about this game it was about the sex scenes. Are they really that prevalent or can I play this with the family around?

[quote name='KtMack23']Whenever I saw coverage about this game it was about the sex scenes. Are they really that prevalent or can I play this with the family around?[/QUOTE]

To my recollection, the sex scenes are optional and you have to actually choose to do that and you can also choose not to.

There is, however, some strong language and of course violence. I definitely wouldn't call it family friendly.

[quote name='Motoki']To my recollection, the sex scenes are optional and you have to actually choose to do that and you can also choose not to.

There is, however, some strong language and of course violence. I definitely wouldn't call it family friendly.[/QUOTE]

Worse than say, Fallout 3 or Red Dead Redemption?

Not sure what to do. I wanted the Dark Edition when they said it was $80 at the press event, but now everywhere has it for $100.

Not sure if I want to spend that much on it. Might just buy the regular for this price.

Are retailers jacking up the price of the Dark Edition? I can't justify a $100 buy, especially if you already get half the stuff in the normal edition.

Does TRU charge you immediately for pre-orders, or only when the item ships like Amazon?

I was waiting for this to happen, thanks OP. I'm going to cancel my Amazon pre-order and go with Toys-R-Us. Now I"m waiting for the inevitable $44.99 pre-order special from Newegg which doesn't charge me $3.15 in tax.

[quote name='technicalstylez']and the wait for amazon and newegg to match begins.. hopefully amazon learned from their koa-reckoning mistake and matches the preorder price from the beginning instead of having to dishout promos to everyone who got fucked by preordering/buying on release instead of waiting 3 days for the price match.

that being said, they should make $45 the new msrp for new releases. i would gladly buy games day 1 everytime if they did that.[/QUOTE]

What was Amazon's mistake? Did they not sell a bunch of copies of Reckoning, or do you just mean you wish they'd price-matched?

And what are the realistic chances of Amazon price-matching this baby?

amazon waited until 3 days after release day to pm newegg and tru price of 44.99, so all the people who preordered were stuck paying full price with no chance of preorder price guarantee price adjustment- losing 15 bucks in the process. sooo many people were outraged with amazon for pulling this maneuver that amazon finally caved and gave everyone who preordered the game a $20 promo to make up for the price difference.

and then theres newegg, who mistakingly took in more orders than the amount of games they physically had instock so they had to cancel a bunch of preorders leaving many people unhappy.

[quote name='John_W']What was Amazon's mistake? Did they not sell a bunch of copies of Reckoning, or do you just mean you wish they'd price-matched?

And what are the realistic chances of Amazon price-matching this baby?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='technicalstylez']amazon waited until 3 days after release day to pm newegg and tru price of 44.99, so all the people who preordered were stuck paying full price with no chance of preorder price guarantee price adjustment- losing 15 bucks in the process. sooo many people were outraged with amazon for pulling this maneuver that amazon finally caved and gave everyone who preordered the game a $20 promo to make up for the price difference.

and then theres newegg, who mistakingly took in more orders than the amount of games they physically had instock so they had to cancel a bunch of preorders leaving many people unhappy.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the Dark Souls event?

[quote name='KtMack23']Worse than say, Fallout 3 or Red Dead Redemption?[/QUOTE]

I'd say more adult than Fallout 3. There's a decapitation in a cut scene fairly early on and you get the occasional line that sounds like it's coming from a sailor's mouth. The Fallout games have a sort of retro futurism camp that offsets the harshness a bit but this game is pretty gritty.

I haven't played Red Dead Redemption but I'd say it's probably on par with other Rockstar games. I suppose it's sort of a medieval GTA in some senses. You come across a lot of underbelly types, criminals, thugs, prostitutes etc.

[quote name='Ninersfan4926']I'd absolutely love to get this one day 1, but I think I'd rather play the Witcher 1 first. Unfortunately I have no pc right now, so maybe I should just not bother. It seems like they really put in a lot of effort to make sure they brought this over to the 360 correctly.[/QUOTE]

I tried playing The Witcher 2 on my 'decent' PC, but it continually crashed. It's a very demanding PC game.

I did get to play it at a friend's house, though, and it was pretty awesome.

I've bought WAY too many games recently, like Deus Ex, Dark Souls, and I have Mass Effect 3 coming in 2 weeks, which will occupy most of my gaming time. I HATE BACKLOG, but at the same time I LOVE IT.

Need to finish up the game on PC still, but it is an amazing western style RPG. Very tempted to preorder just to get a lock on the price.

Wow. Recently purchased the PC version, but it seems like the XBox 360 will have the best version. Now some folks must decide whether the new content is worth the double dip....

its already been confirmed that pc owners will get the new content for free. cdprojekt is down like that. :applause:

[quote name='DealHunter']Wow. Recently purchased the PC version, but it seems like the XBox 360 will have the best version. Now some folks must decide whether the new content is worth the double dip....[/QUOTE]

One of my most anticipated games of 2012, hopefully Amazon will PM, but they do have a pre-order bonus which may negate any chance of PM, I think that was the driving cause of the Reckoning PM mess. Dark Edition looks great, but even the regular "Enhanced" version has some very nice extras, including the game soundtrack.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Damn, did Amazon ever match the Reckoning deals? I'm definitely buying this at release but I usually like to stick with Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Amazon matched the TRU price a few days after Reckoning's release. They were inconsistent as to whether they would credit the $15 difference if you pre-ordered. Some people got a one time credit, others got nothing. The following week, Amazon issued a $20 good will credit to everyone who pre-ordered. The people that were able to get the $15 credit ended up with $35. I only got the $20 credit personally.

Well, I think at this point I can officially skip the 720 generation now. Seriously, thanks OP.

#BeyondBacklog #BackSmithsonianWing

Just finished this game on the PC, was blown away (never played the first one). All the characters are in your journal, but you can get the gist of past history by just playing normally. I didn't really have to stop and read up on the lore (even though it's there for you).

[quote name='DealHunter']Wow. Recently purchased the PC version, but it seems like the XBox 360 will have the best version.[/QUOTE]

Well, the PC version is obviously going to look a lot better if you have a high-end machine. Both are getting the additional content at no extra charge. (Remember the days when you got bonus content at no extra charge?) My PC is crap, so I'm thrilled 360 is getting what sounds like it will be a first-rate port. Every review I've read about this game puts it at the very top of the RPG pile. Now if only some friendly online retailer will offer it for $45 with free shipping AND no tax, I'll preorder instantly.

[quote name='morrodox']Well, the PC version is obviously going to look a lot better if you have a high-end machine. Both are getting the additional content at no extra charge. (Remember the days when you got bonus content at no extra charge?) My PC is crap, so I'm thrilled 360 is getting what sounds like it will be a first-rate port. Every review I've read about this game puts it at the very top of the RPG pile. Now if only some friendly online retailer will offer it for $45 with free shipping AND no tax, I'll preorder instantly.[/QUOTE]

If some of us message Amazon, are they more likely to PM?

[quote name='dudejeff22']Where is the option for Shoprunner shipping? I thought Toys R Us was supposed to be a partner.[/QUOTE]

If ToysRUs is like NewEgg, than ShopRunner isn't available on pre-orders.

I'm curious as to when the game will actually arrive. The (free) Standard Shipping says it takes 3-8 days for delivery once the item has shipped. But the "Availability" information says "Release Date".

Does this mean the game will arrive on the day the game releases? Or is it just saying it'll ship that day? ("Buy now for shipping by 4/17/12" probably answers that question, but the optimist in me wants to believe I'll have the game in my hand that day.)

Anyone else have experience with these ToysRUs pre-orders? How long after the release date did you receive your game? :?:

Thanks in advance.

while i've never preordered from TRU, i've never had any issues ordering from them in the past...bit on this, lollipop chainsaw and tiger woods 13 on the same order, looks like my spring gaming is set

bread's done
Back