2012 MLB Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1142 replies to this topic

#31 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

How optimistic are you about making the World Series a third year in a row when your division got a little tougher?

If they stay healthy they should still win the division. They are 7 deep in the rotation, have a loaded farm system, and solid at every position (Moreland is healthy so 1B shouldn't be a glaring hole this year). The Angel's are relying on Trumbo and Morales to protect Pujols, and that is somewhat iffy since one is young and the other has missed two seasons. The Angels are solid, but their lineup is still weak especially if Vernon Wells hits like he did last year.

Detroit is the only team that really scares me at this point. If Cabrera loses weight they could be solid. I don't think they are substantially better than last year, but Texas isn't either so it should be another solid matchup between two clubs.

The Yanks/Sox certainly are capable, but injuries have gotten the better of them the past two years and I don't know if they can reverse that trend since father time seems to be wearing them down.

Posted Image

#32 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

If they stay healthy they should still win the division. They are 7 deep in the rotation, have a loaded farm system, and solid at every position (Moreland is healthy so 1B shouldn't be a glaring hole this year). The Angel's are relying on Trumbo and Morales to protect Pujols, and that is somewhat iffy since one is young and the other has missed two seasons. The Angels are solid, but their lineup is still weak especially if Vernon Wells hits like he did last year.

The Angels have one of the best rotations in baseball but their bats even with Pujols leave a lot to be desired. Now, if Morales is healthy and returns to his old form than all bets are off.

#33 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

The Angels have one of the best rotations in baseball but their bats even with Pujols leave a lot to be desired. Now, if Morales is healthy and returns to his old form than all bets are off.

The problem is they put so much pressure on those pitchers that they wear them out before they close in on October. Look at last year. They had Texas in their sights in the middle of Sept. and couldn't take over the division because they started sending them out there on short rest and killed their staff. Texas then went on to win the division by something like 10 games.

They have to hit or Texas will beat them. They also have to play better in the division. Texas killed Oakland and Seattle and the Angel's didn't.

Posted Image

#34 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

The problem is they put so much pressure on those pitchers that they wear them out before they close in on October. Look at last year. They had Texas in their sights in the middle of Sept. and couldn't take over the division because they started sending them out there on short rest and killed their staff. Texas then went on to win the division by something like 10 games.

They have to hit or Texas will beat them. They also have to play better in the division. Texas killed Oakland and Seattle and the Angel's didn't.

With Wilson they now have 4 legit starters. But I do agree with you that the Angels have to dominate the weaker teams in the division. I think the AL is wide open this year and anyone can win it.

#35 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

With Wilson they now have 4 legit starters. But I do agree with you that the Angels have to dominate the weaker teams in the division. I think the AL is wide open this year and anyone can win it.

Texas rode Wilson really hard last year. I think that might be part of the reason they let him go (along with his stellar postseason record). I don't know if he will be the same pitcher in Anaheim that he was in Texas.

That said, if he is the same pitcher he will win the Cy Young this year. To do what he did in that ballpark was flat out phenomenal.

Posted Image

#36 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:50 AM

Casey, do you post on MLBtraderumors or bleacher report?
!San Francisco Giants 2010 & 2012 World Series Champions!

Posted Image

#37 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Looks like we're getting expanded playoffs this year after all. In a year where the Sox might well be the 3rd best team in the AL East, I can't say I'm too disappointed with that.

33126.png

#38 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Pirates pitcher A.J. Burnett will undergo surgery on Friday to repair a fractured right orbital bone.

The right-hander injured himself on Wednesday at the team’s spring training facilities in Bradenton, Fla. after a bunt attempt caromed off his face.

http://sports.yahoo....pirates-burnett

#39 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

It looks like playoff expansion is happening. I'm fine with it, but I wish it was a 3 game series rather than just one game.

#40 ElwoodCuse

ElwoodCuse

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

Oh yeah, baseball time! Yanks traded Burnett to the Pirates the other day. Not totally sure how I feel about that, but def an interesting trade for Pitt. Even if he was bad last year, at least he was always healthy and ready to go.

haha jinx
But when his drinking and lusting and his hunger for power became known to more and more people, the demands to do something about this outrageous man became louder and louder.

#41 Vendetta_x360

Vendetta_x360

♥ 정수연

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

So Pettitte is coming back to the Yankees. Don't know what to think. He does give us another lefty with CC. Guess this means Hughes or Garcia is going to be keeping the 5th spot in the rotation warm for him.

Vendetta%20x360.jpg

:3ds: FC: 4957-3481-3976 (PM me if you add so I can add you!)

Currently Playing:  :360: Lightning Returns :xb1: Madden 25, Dead Rising 3

Recently Completed: Wolf Among Us, :360: & :xb1: Halo:Spartan Assault

#42 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Andy Pettitte is Back!!!!!!

http://espn.go.com/n...eal-sources-say

:whee::whee::whee:

Probably not a huge deal, but he's my favorite pitcher of all time. This had to be in the works before Garcia's injury though. How many pitchers do the Yanks think they can carry? lol

#43 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

Very excited about Andy returning. Can never have enough good pitching.

#44 jello44

jello44

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:39 AM

More like Andy PEDtitte, amirite?

72768.png

#45 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Anybody have any info on when the mlb.tv app is supposed to arrive on 360? Everywhere I've seen says "mid-March", with the season only a couple weeks away I was hoping it would be out by now.

33126.png

#46 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

Cannot be more happy about the Cain extension. Good amount of time and I'm happy with him finally getting a payday.
!San Francisco Giants 2010 & 2012 World Series Champions!

Posted Image

#47 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Cannot be more happy about the Cain extension. Good amount of time and I'm happy with him finally getting a payday.

I was surprised by how much he got.

#48 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

I'm hoping Hamels will be the next big extension announcement.

#49 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

Can't wait for opening day. My fantasy teams are itching to score some points.

Not to mention I can't wait to start watching games that actually count. With the addition of MLB.TV on Xbox (finally) this season should be pretty awesome for me, and it may actually help me to keep interest during the season for a change. I tend to taper off around the All Star break but keep track of my fantasy teams throughout. Hopefully this year is different.

#50 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

Jose Valverde converts 49 of 49 saves in 2011, blows his first of 2012. Baseball!

33126.png

#51 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Great start to the season burning through all of these relievers in a 15 inning game. Great start by Masterson, but Chris Perez blew it big time.

#52 V4oLDbOY

V4oLDbOY

Vengeance

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

Great start to the season burning through all of these relievers in a 15 inning game. Great start by Masterson, but Chris Perez blew it big time.

yeah, so did Marmol and Valverde. Valverde got saved luckily though.

"You WROTE it, you can't UN-WRITE it!" - Maurice LaMarche

[if you need help funding a PSN gameshare (US) I'm happy to help out fellow CAGs (PM me) as long as you are patient.]

#53 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

Disappointed by the Indians loss, but it was going to be a mess if they couldn't end the game quickly. They just need to get the bullpen to calm down and get back to normal so great starts aren't wasted. I'm also hoping rest of the rotation can follow Masterson's lead since I have a lot more confidence in Josh Tomlin and Jeanmar Gomez than Lowe and Jimenez.

Edited by shrike4242, 09 April 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#54 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

Free MLB.tv recaps are good enough for me.

#55 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

Everyday should be Harvey Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

well cant say im surprised that Torres got hurt. You are not a Met until you have had 1 injury in the uni. Well Torres, welcome to NYM.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350
Avatar(or Bust shot) done by Jeffery "CHAMBA" Cruz
R.I.P Nujabes aka Jun Seba (1974-2010) Another great musical mind ripped from our hands.
R.I.P Pat Carlucci- Rest easy my friend. You're with all of us in our hearts.

#56 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

Good to see Nathan hammer down a great strikeout as he notched his first save as a Ranger. Great start to the season by Colby despite the monster shot launched by Dunn to the moon.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#57 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Someone needs to steal Clueless Joe 2.0's binder and burn it...

#58 silentevil

silentevil

Most evil man ever!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

At Tropicana Field waiting on the gates to open. Anyone else go to any games this weekend?

#59 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Good win for Cleveland to not blow another good start with a great game for Carlos Santana's birthday. If the bullpen can get some good rest from extra innings, things should get better for this team. I'm hoping that three good/great starts from the top three of the rotation will be a sign of consistency rather than a rare occurrence.

#60 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Braves are sucking so far this year. Kind of expected since they did nothing to upgrade the offense that struggled down the stretch last year.