• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1142 replies to this topic

#931 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

Trade didn't go through, instead they decline his option. heh
!San Francisco Giants 2010 & 2012 World Series Champions!

Posted Image

#932 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Trade didn't go through, instead they decline his option. heh

And it looks like the Angels were trying to dump him for just about anything to save the 2 million... definitely a red flag. Although, I can still see him sign a 2-3 year deal.

#933 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

And it looks like the Angels were trying to dump him for just about anything to save the 2 million... definitely a red flag. Although, I can still see him sign a 2-3 year deal.

From what I saw, the Cubs saw a red flag and cancelled the deal.

Posted Image

#934 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

Parade was cool. Hard to see players sitting in the little convertibles. Shitload of people.

Spoiler

#935 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

At least you could pretty much see everyone. When the Phillies won they put them all in those open top busses but they put half the team on one side and half on the other so you would only see half of them. And if you were me, then you saw the shitty half. It was pretty terrible.

#936 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Unless you were in the front few rows it was really hard to see anyone. That pic was a result of me being 6'4", putting my hand as high as I could and taking a shitload of pics, hoping to get a picture of the player between all the other hands in the air. Only got a handful of good pictures.

Here is a picture without zooming in. Camera was able to see Pagan but at eye level it was like I was trying to peek through a fence.
Spoiler

This city better step it up next time. Put the players on floats.

#937 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Ah, ok, that is pretty bad then.

#938 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

Per MLB Trade Rumors, The Miami Marlins will trade Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, Mark Beurhle, John Buck and Emilio Bonafacio to the Toronto Blue Jays.

The annual Marlins firesale has begun again. Now just trade Stanton to the Rangers.

Edited by GhostShark, 14 November 2012 - 01:00 AM.

Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#939 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

Per MLB Trade Rumors, The Miami Marlins will trade Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, Mark Beurhle, John Buck and Emilio Bonafacion to the Toronto Blue Jays.

The annual Marlins firesale has begun again. Now just trade Stanton to the Rangers.

Deadspin linked to his Twitter where he said he is pissed. That would be a great way to replace Hamilton

#940 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

Per MLB Trade Rumors, The Miami Marlins will trade Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, Mark Beurhle, John Buck and Emilio Bonafacio to the Toronto Blue Jays.

Lets wait 3 more years until his arbitration cost is above $10 mill...Really, no way they are going to trade Stanton while he is so affordable.

I think the ownership will end up selling the team. They had terrible fan attendance last year, the year the team was playing in a new stadium and signed top free agents. Will be fun watching Miami play in an empty park at home.

#941 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:46 AM

Loria is an awful awful awful awful owner, he should not be allowed to own a baseball team. He tried for barely a season and promised Miami all these changes after getting a new stadium built and now he's completely dismantled the team.

Posted Image

#942 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

That's ridiculous. What a waste of a team.

#943 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

That home run monstrosity probably scared off half the fans. The team's performance took care of the rest.

default.png2.png

#944 Greendecko

Greendecko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

I wish I could say that Im suprised but Im not. Loria is the worst owner in sports. Everyone should have known better with the spending they had last year. I got sucked in as a Marlins fan and gave him the benefit of the doubt but screwed again. I dont think they will trade Stanton though. Thats the last player they can afford to lose if they want to win any games at all.
"It's Like I'm Assisting Suicide, Hate not Me, Hate your Weakness" - Iori Yagami KoF

Wii U - demondecko
Xbox Live Gamertag - GreenDecko
PSN Name - Demondecko

#945 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Torii Hunter has signed a 2 year deal with the Tigers.

#946 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

Torii Hunter has signed a 2 year deal with the Tigers.

If the Halos don't resign Greinke, the locker room will have lost out on a good leader for nothing and the fans will be pissed with Hunter's departure. They had to free up Hunter's money for Greinke and there is an argument the Angels have too many cooks in the kitchen as far as outfielders go and Pujols has a reservation on the DH spot in the future, but Hunter's numbers were still good. I'm sure he will have much success in Detroit.

#947 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

I highly doubt Hunter replicates his +5 WAR 2012 season. I would expect something similar to his 2011 campaign. He was aided by the second highest BABIP behind Dexter Fowler, and that is nearly impossible to replicate. Also, his walk numbers were the lowest of his career and his strikeout numbers were his highest. However, he is probably an upgrade for the Tigers, but I am glade the Rangers didn't opt to overpay him.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#948 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

If MLB is smart, they'll force Loria out of town and bust him in the kneecap for good measure. How so much money can be invested for a team to come out of it worse than they started is beyond me.

#949 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Blue Jays have signed Melky Cabrera. If that Marlins deal goes through, Toronto is going to have a pretty sick lineup.

#950 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Marvin Miller passed away. Just about every professional athlete owes this guy a debt of gratitude.

#951 FloodyFloats

FloodyFloats

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

Marvin Miller passed away. Just about every professional athlete owes this guy a debt of gratitude.

Wow just read up on him. shame he didnt make it into the hall of fame in his lifetime.

#952 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

Wow just read up on him. shame he didnt make it into the hall of fame in his lifetime.

Every MLB player owes him gratitude and most pros under a CBA as well. Things like the reserve clause and paltry wages under an iron-fisted, owner-controlled league might be in effect if it weren't for his union work.

I think it's a damn shame that Bowie Kuhn is somehow already in the Hall yet Miller still is not. I'm sure he'll see the Hall posthumously when a non-executive skewed VC is formed with him on the ballot.
Posted Image

#953 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Beating a dead horse to death but this might be the smartest baseball business decision in history.

Last year the Dodgers made $40 million in TV rights. The contract is almost over. Before last season, it was expected that the new Dodgers TV contract would be in the $150m/year range. Leaks from current Dodgers/Fox negotiations say the offer is at or near $280m/year.

I think it's reasonable to believe that the difference is due to the new owners and their moves. I think that's fair. So let's look at this from a business standpoint and shit our collective pants at the possibility of what just happened:

If this does get finalized, consider the ramifications here. In six months, the Guggenheim group would have turned a $2.15 billion investment into a cash cow which pays three times that over the next twenty years – without selling a single ticket, parking spot, beer, or replica jersey. Suddenly, all the talking heads who crowed that the price was absurd and that they’d never make a profit after paying that much seem kind of silly, don’t they? Think about it this way: you could have a $200 million payroll every year for the next 10 years, make your purchase price back… and still have $2 billion coming to you

And then suddenly you realize that Zach Greinke is not only easy to pay as a Dodger owner, but fucking filthy cheap since you don't have to pay with prospects. It's just cash.

I’ve long felt one of the most underrated aspects of the Adrian Gonzalez deal was the simple fact that there was going to be just about no one on the market to replace James Loney this winter – other than Napoli, the best first basemen are possibly Carlos Pena or Loney himself – and as teams lock up star players more and more often, there’s not a lot of quality pitching coming available. Looking ahead to 2014, and assuming that Shields’ option is picked up and R.A. Dickey is signed, the best starters look to be… Roy Halladay, at 37? Matt Garza? Josh Johnson, maybe, if reports of a deal with Toronto fall through?

It’s ugly out there, and that means it’s not going to get any easier to find pitching. The Dodgers need Greinke not only for 2013, but for every year after. They need him because he’s a perfect fit in terms of age and skill. They need him because he’s the rare ace pitcher on the right side of 30 available for nothing but money, with no one else like him coming free over the next year or two.

It's very very possible that a broke ass CF, a fading star 1B, a broke ass SP, and an underperforming SS just earned the Dodgers a couple of billion dollars in TV revenue. That seriously might have just fucking happened.
Posted Image

#954 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Yankees re-sign Andy Pettitte to a 1 year, $12 million deal. I like the team's new approach of wanting only short contracts. It's just too bad they didn't figure out this strategy before signing A-Rod, Teixeira, etc. into social security.

Honestly, I don't even care how the team does next year. I'd just really like to see Pettitte, Jeter, and Rivera have injury free seasons. Give them more rest if you have to. Just let them enjoy playing together for the last time. It couldn't possibly end up much worse than pushing everybody all season only to have Granderson, Cano, A-Rod, Swisher, etc. disappear in the playoffs. If the team is going to tank anyway, I'd at least like to see the instrumental players of the Yankees success over the past 16 years go out on their own terms.

#955 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

It looks like BJ Upton is heading to the Braves for 5y/75m. Fine by me. They really need more right-handed hitting, and his speed is at least somewhat comparable to Bourn's plus Upton brings a lot more power. It also helps that they swiped him away from the Phillies and Nats.

#956 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

Eh, I'm neither happy nor disappointed. He has upside and downside, who knows what he'll do for the next 5 years. I don't think it's the best idea, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Phillies signed Hamilton within the next week to make a splash.

#957 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Buster Olney reporting the Angels are out of the bidding for Greinke. Dodgers and Rangers are the two bidders.
Posted Image

#958 ph33r m3

ph33r m3

C.A.G. Legend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

lol @ Brian Wilson.

Enjoy free agency, bro.
Posted Image

#959 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

The Red Sox are reportedly giving Mike Napoli a 3 year deal for 39 million after signing Jonny Gomes to a 2 year/10m deal. Yeesh.

#960 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

The Red Sox are reportedly giving Mike Napoli a 3 year deal for 39 million after signing Jonny Gomes to a 2 year/10m deal. Yeesh.

I knew we weren't going to keep Napoli. I just hope we end up with Greinke.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png