2012 MLB Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1142 replies to this topic

#961 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

It is certainly sad to see Napoli go, but that is a bit too much money for a catcher on the wrong side of 30 with several stints on the DL.

However, I am glad the Rangers got Joakim Soria pretty cheap (2yrs/around 9 Mill). That's a pretty good 8th and 9th inning duo with Soria and Nathan. And hey, if Nathan gets hurt, Soria is a proven closer.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#962 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

The Rangers and free agent slugger Josh Hamilton are making progress on what would likely be a four-year deal, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. However, it is still possible another team beats the Rangers' offer.

I don't know why but I expected him to land in the AL East.
Posted Image

#963 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

After dumping all that money last season, the Red Sox are apparently just dying to throw money away now, signing Victorino for 3/$37.5mil.

#964 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

That Victorino deal is AWEFUL! He was never worth that much, even when he had his best years with the Phillies. Have fun with him after his worst season.

#965 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

After dumping all that money last season, the Red Sox are apparently just dying to throw money away now, signing Victorino for 3/$37.5mil.

I have a friend who is a Boston fan. For some odd reason, he was sure that Boston was going after Hamilton. Can't wait to see his face tomorrow.

But damn, Pagan's deal looks so much better now. Hell, Melky and Hunter's contracts are much better.

#966 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

It looks like BJ Upton is heading to the Braves for 5y/75m. Fine by me. They really need more right-handed hitting, and his speed is at least somewhat comparable to Bourn's plus Upton brings a lot more power. It also helps that they swiped him away from the Phillies and Nats.

I like it. Bourn and his agent are asking for way too much given how much he blew in the 2nd half this year.

And as you note, the Braves need right handed hitters and more power. Speed is moot as they can't play small ball since they lack people hitting .300 to move them over and in. Of the returning roster for next year, really only Prado has much of a chance to hit better than .300.

#967 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

I'm waiting for some evidence that they have a plan in place. At least all they're spending at this point is money and not also flushing away their farm system.

I've already been anticipating a couple of lean years for the Red Sox, and they haven't really done anything to dissuade that notion yet.

33126.png

#968 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

That Victorino deal is AWEFUL! He was never worth that much, even when he had his best years with the Phillies. Have fun with him after his worst season.

Yeah what's with teams overpaying for former Phillies players. First Victorino and now I see that Joe Blanton got a 2 year $15 million dollar deal.

I also hope that Cliff Lee doesn't get traded like some rumors are suggesting. Hallady and Worely both had disappointing seasons because of the injuries (hopefully they will both be better next year) and although Kendrick had a good 2nd half, he may not repeat that next year. That just leaves Hamels. If they want any chance of going to the playoffs I feel like they need to keep their 3 aces.

#969 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Yeah what's with teams overpaying for former Phillies players. First Victorino and now I see that Joe Blanton got a 2 year $15 million dollar deal.

I also hope that Cliff Lee doesn't get traded like some rumors are suggesting. Hallady and Worely both had disappointing seasons because of the injuries (hopefully they will both be better next year) and although Kendrick had a good 2nd half, he may not repeat that next year. That just leaves Hamels. If they want any chance of going to the playoffs I feel like they need to keep their 3 aces.

Ruben said Cliff Lee is not going to be traded because he wants to keep Halladay, Lee and Hamels together, but he says a lot of things. If he doesn't do SOMETHING today, I'm giving up all hope on him.

Looks like trading for Michael Young might happen. I've always liked Young, but if we can get him for almost nothing and have Texas kick in half his salary, then I guess I'm ok with it. Also hearing Ben Revere's name come up in trade discussion and I say YES PLEASE. If we trade for Young, trade for Revere or Fowler I'd go so far to say I wouldn't mind signing Swisher, but he might command a lot since Victorino fucked up the market. I guess I'll wait and see what, if anything, unfolds today.

#970 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Ruben said Cliff Lee is not going to be traded because he wants to keep Halladay, Lee and Hamels together, but he says a lot of things. If he doesn't do SOMETHING today, I'm giving up all hope on him.

Looks like trading for Michael Young might happen. I've always liked Young, but if we can get him for almost nothing and have Texas kick in half his salary, then I guess I'm ok with it. Also hearing Ben Revere's name come up in trade discussion and I say YES PLEASE. If we trade for Young, trade for Revere or Fowler I'd go so far to say I wouldn't mind signing Swisher, but he might command a lot since Victorino fucked up the market. I guess I'll wait and see what, if anything, unfolds today.

He listened to you, Ben Revere for Trevor May and Vance Worley
!San Francisco Giants 2010 & 2012 World Series Champions!

Posted Image

#971 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

He listened to you, Ben Revere for Trevor May and Vance Worley

Very pleased with that. I liked Worley and May is projected to be good, but we have nothing in our system in terms of center fielders and we have several really good pitchers. Hopefully Revere can be our long term center fielder and continue to do good. I hope they sign a corner outfielder now that they don't need to blow their whole load on a center fielder.

#972 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

Mike Young is a member of the Phillies.

#973 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Ok with that one too, but I'm not sure we really need to be giving up 2 pitchers in every deal. Lindblom sucked for us, I won't miss him at all. I've always liked Young, so it will be cool to see him in a Philllies jersey.

#974 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

That's going to be one old-ass infield.

#975 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

While I am saddened by the loss of Young, it was a deal that needed to be done. His declining skillset and talents didn't mesh well at all with the rest of the team. And now that he is gone, we can finally see Washington make the best possible line-up without including MY out of obligation.
Posted Image

#976 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

wow at the grienke deal.

Posted Image

#977 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

wow at the grienke deal.

I'm surprised he didn't get 7 years.

#978 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

I'm surprised he didn't get 7 years.

He didn't get a no trade clause either.

Posted Image

#979 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

I'm waiting for some evidence that they have a plan in place. At least all they're spending at this point is money and not also flushing away their farm system.

I've already been anticipating a couple of lean years for the Red Sox, and they haven't really done anything to dissuade that notion yet.

It looks like they're anticipating at least 3 lean years. Some of those guys could be decent chips at the deadline in the last two years of their deals.

#980 ph33r m3

ph33r m3

C.A.G. Legend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

There are bad deals.....then there's what the Fuck the Dodgers and Red Sox just did....wow.

Can't wait to light Greinke up seven or so times a year.
Posted Image

#981 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

I didn't know Greinke too much but I just looked at his stats and he's not that great. Why did he get such a ridiculous contract for one great year and a bunch of meh ones? He's nowhere near the caliber of CC or Hamels, I don't know why his contract is more than theirs. Sure the Dodgers need pitching and he's the #2 there but he'd be #3 on a lot of teams. I guess one Cy Young award will get you a lot of money for the rest of your life.

#982 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

I didn't know Greinke too much but I just looked at his stats and he's not that great. Why did he get such a ridiculous contract for one great year and a bunch of meh ones? He's nowhere near the caliber of CC or Hamels, I don't know why his contract is more than theirs. Sure the Dodgers need pitching and he's the #2 there but he'd be #3 on a lot of teams. I guess one Cy Young award will get you a lot of money for the rest of your life.

It's most likely because he's the best pitcher on the market this year. That amount of money they probably could have got both Lohse and Anibal Sanchez and would've ended off better.

Posted Image

#983 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

It's most likely because he's the best pitcher on the market this year. That amount of money they probably could have got both Lohse and Anibal Sanchez and would've ended off better.

That's what I don't understand. He's the best pitcher out there this year... So what? Because it's a good year to be a FA you get more money than you should? It's stupid really. But go Dodgers, enjoy that wasted cash.

#984 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

Looks like Kansas City is no longer going to be a doorstop. Shields and Wade Davis are now Royals.

http://espn.go.com/m...oyals-wil-myers

Posted Image

#985 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

They gave up too much in the deal, but they are trying to be relevant (even though they still won't finish over .500) so I can't fault them for that. This sucks, because I was hoping the Rangers would snag Shields.
Posted Image

#986 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

For what they gave up in that package, I'm surprised they didn't get Price.

Posted Image

#987 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

http://www.fangraphs...ilter=&players=

Greinke looks like he's been pretty great to me. I'm not sure what else you want him to do - hit 50 HR? Play shortstop when he doesn't pitch?
Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#988 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

http://www.fangraphs...ilter=&players=

Greinke looks like he's been pretty great to me. I'm not sure what else you want him to do - hit 50 HR? Play shortstop when he doesn't pitch?

If that list tells you anything, it's that WAR isn't everything. According to that list, Jon Lester and Dan Haren are deserving of huge contracts too and players you'd rather have than Kershaw, Weaver, Hamels and Cain, right? Take out Greinke's fluke 2009 and he's going to drop in the list.

#989 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Meh by what measure exactly? His xFIP has consistently been around 3 and was actually better in '11 than the "fluke" 09 year. Other than a "flukey" hr/9 and babip in '11, it's pretty clear his '11 year was outstanding as well. If we really take a step back and look at all peripherals, his 09-12 years have been fantastic on every level. His consistency is striking. He is clearly a top 10 pitcher.

And then if we take the "market" into consideration and look at the top 10 by WAR, we see that nobody on this side of 30 comes without significant injury risk except Verlander. Oh, and none have or will hit free agency anytime soon except 32 year old injury risk Haren. There are no comps for Greinke on the free agency wire. You cannot buy a guy in his class except him.

Hate the price. Sure, the Dodgers overpaid (they didn't because they can't overpay, but that's a different story) but don't pretend Greinke isn't what he is. The numbers don't lie.

That's crazy talk. There's a reason Lohse isn't signed. Actually there's a couple of them.
Posted Image

#990 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

The Rays made out like bandits in that deal. Not looking forward to staring up at them in the standings for the next few seasons.

33126.png