2012 MLB Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1142 replies to this topic

#1021 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

Everyday should be Harvey Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

The second half of last season was so terrible that I am kind of glad the Rangers didn't resign him. He swung at so many shit pitches that it was unbelievable. Also don't think that lineup will give him any more protection to hide that. Beltre fucking murdered it the second half and he still stayed in the funk.

Until he is willing to lay off balls out of the zone he ain't worth 25 million over 5 years.

Put Kinsler in the OF and move Olt to 1B and rock out with that.

didnt he swing poorly due to an injury affecting his vision?
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350
Avatar(or Bust shot) done by Jeffery "CHAMBA" Cruz
R.I.P Nujabes aka Jun Seba (1974-2010) Another great musical mind ripped from our hands.
R.I.P Pat Carlucci- Rest easy my friend. You're with all of us in our hearts.

#1022 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

I will be very pissed of if Yankees go after Bourjos or Trumbo.

Trumbo maybe, I doubt they have any interest in Bourjos. I think the Yanks are focused on moving Granderson. So maybe Granderson for Trumbo? Although I want to see Granderson get traded to Texas for one of their SS.
Xecutioner
CML

#1023 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

didnt he swing poorly due to an injury affecting his vision?

No. That was something that kept him out later in the season. The excuse was quitting chewing tobacco and how God was testing him.

Posted Image

#1024 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Trumbo maybe, I doubt they have any interest in Bourjos. I think the Yanks are focused on moving Granderson. So maybe Granderson for Trumbo? Although I want to see Granderson get traded to Texas for one of their SS.

The reason the Angels would be trading Bourjos or Trumbo is because they have too many outfielders, trading an OF for an OF would make zero sense.

#1025 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

The reason the Angels would be trading Bourjos or Trumbo is because they have too many outfielders, trading an OF for an OF would make zero sense.

I agree but I don't see how else the Yankees could trade for either one of those players.
Xecutioner
CML

#1026 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Everyone mentions moving Bourjos, but I don't know if that happens. Josh rarely plays more than 130 games, and they are going to want to DH him some. You factor that in with some rest for some of their other guys, and they could carve out a nice role for him.

Posted Image

#1027 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

I agree but I don't see how else the Yankees could trade for either one of those players.

I'm pretty sure if the Angels would want to trade either of them they'd either want prospects or a SP, so if the Yankees have any prospects, that's what they would trade. Or they just wouldn't bother trading for an OF, I don't recall them being linked to anyone besides a passing interest in Hamilton. Besides Ichiro, forgot about him.

Edited by tcrash247, 13 December 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#1028 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'm pretty sure if the Angels would want to trade either of them they'd either want prospects or a SP, so if the Yankees have any prospects, that's what they would trade. Or they just wouldn't bother trading for an OF, I don't recall them being linked to anyone besides a passing interest in Hamilton. Besides Ichiro, forgot about him.

The Yankees have a few pitching prospect but they are not trading any of them. They are the future and the only way to keep payroll down in 2014.
Xecutioner
CML

#1029 kodave

kodave

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Everyone mentions moving Bourjos, but I don't know if that happens. Josh rarely plays more than 130 games, and they are going to want to DH him some. You factor that in with some rest for some of their other guys, and they could carve out a nice role for him.

Yeah but you also have aging Pujols on the squad, and he's going to be taking up more and more of those DH spots too, and that's basically his position for the back end of his contract. Especially with Morales playing first or DH for another season or two.

The Angels are basically banking on Pujols and Hamilton providing immediate results. There will be a time in a few years where neither are producing at the levels they're being paid for. That's why the Angels need to hang onto Trumbo, in case something goes wrong. Trumbo is young and Trumbo is only going to get better. To trade him now would be boneheaded, like when the Angels unloaded Napoli to Texas because Scioscia acted like his defense was unsatisfactory or something.

Any space in the outfield needs to belong to Trumbo. Wells just isn't going anywhere, unfortunately. That makes Bourjos is absolutely expendable at this point.

And for the sake of his career, Bourjos needs to find a team where he can play every day. He's been in a "carved out role" of filling in when there were outfielder gaps his whole career with the Angels. But with Pujols (taking up DH spots), Hamilton, Trout and hopefully Trumbo - there just isn't much room. If he can get traded to another team, he'll really have room to grow.

#1030 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Red Sox sign Ryan Dempster for 2years/$26.5 million.

I like this deal, Dempster's not a sexy signing by any means but he's solid and should be a decent pitcher for them over the next couple of years. Seems like the Sox plan is to remain vaguely competitive over the next few years while not giving up the farm and not giving any long years to free agents. I'm generally on board with that plan, considering that they do have plenty of good talent in the minors which is a couple years out.

33126.png

#1031 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

The second half of last season was so terrible that I am kind of glad the Rangers didn't resign him. He swung at so many shit pitches that it was unbelievable. Also don't think that lineup will give him any more protection to hide that. Beltre fucking murdered it the second half and he still stayed in the funk.

Until he is willing to lay off balls out of the zone he ain't worth 25 million over 5 years.

Put Kinsler in the OF and move Olt to 1B and rock out with that.

The biggest problem here is that Kinsler's production (WAR, UZR and all that good stuff) would be subpar for an OF. He would essentially be costing the team money, and probably lots of it if he is in the OF. It'd be less of a loss (but still a loss) if he moved to first base. I fully expect him to be a 1B next season and Olt to be traded sometime soon in a package for a hitter, or perhaps a pitcher.

However, I think Ian is more suited for 1B than OF, but also is better suited for a place in the order that isn't leading off. Leave leading off to Andrus (if he is still on the team) or Gentry/Profar. Maybe his numbers will rise, who knows.

The Rangers FO has had nearly 30 million, maybe more, to work with this offseason and they've done nearly nothing but sign Soria and Soto. Part of me wants to believe that JD has something brewing that we don't know about, but part of me also believes that the Rangers want to bring up their youth this year and see what they truly have. It might not be a rebuilding year, per say, but I wouldn't surprised if you see a drastically different Rangers team across all aspects of the game.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#1032 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

The biggest problem here is that Kinsler's production (WAR, UZR and all that good stuff) would be subpar for an OF. He would essentially be costing the team money, and probably lots of it if he is in the OF. It'd be less of a loss (but still a loss) if he moved to first base. I fully expect him to be a 1B next season and Olt to be traded sometime soon in a package for a hitter, or perhaps a pitcher.

However, I think Ian is more suited for 1B than OF, but also is better suited for a place in the order that isn't leading off. Leave leading off to Andrus (if he is still on the team) or Gentry/Profar. Maybe his numbers will rise, who knows.

The Rangers FO has had nearly 30 million, maybe more, to work with this offseason and they've done nearly nothing but sign Soria and Soto. Part of me wants to believe that JD has something brewing that we don't know about, but part of me also believes that the Rangers want to bring up their youth this year and see what they truly have. It might not be a rebuilding year, per say, but I wouldn't surprised if you see a drastically different Rangers team across all aspects of the game.

I'd agree with some of that. Kinsler would need to hit like he did in 2011 for it to work. Moving him down and moving Profar or Andrus makes a lot of sense.

I have no problem with the youth movement as long as they shore up the bullpen. If Lewis and Feliz come back in the second half they can bolster the rotation and hopefully lead the charge towards a playoff run.

If they make any move on offense I'd like to see them get AJ.

Edit: And I forgot about Wells. I forgot the Angels still had him when discussing subsequent moves. My bad.

#1033 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, even though I hate him as a person, he is a decent catcher and left-handed bat. And that is something the team terribly needs now that Hamilton is gone.
Posted Image

#1034 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Eh makes no sense for Angels as they would be trading a cost controlled outfielder for a similar player who is a FA next year.

Hughes/Phelps/Nova for Trumbo would make sense as the Angels need pitching.Though I now expect Angels to pick up Edwin Jackson or even Sanchez.

#1035 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

Speaking of the devil. Sanchez signs with the Cubs for 5/75. Overpayed but this is the market.

#1036 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Speaking of the devil. Sanchez signs with the Cubs for 5/75. Overpayed but this is the market.

Really surprised at that. No other team was willing to pay him that? Yes, it's an overpay, but he must be desperate to sign with the Cubs.

#1037 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Really surprised at that. No other team was willing to pay him that? Yes, it's an overpay, but he must be desperate to sign with the Cubs.

Who knows, maybe he wanted to play in Chicago? Hell, maybe other GMs did not offer him that much because of his low W total, haha.

#1038 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

I can't figure out the Cubs. They talk like they want to stink for the next few years so they can get picks and rid themselves of bad contracts, and then they sign Sanchez. Doesn't make any sense and seems counterproductive.

Posted Image

#1039 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Posted Image Torii Hunter ‏@toriihunter48

I was told money was tight but I guess the Arte had money hidden under a Mattress. Business is business but don't lie.

Ice cold.

#1040 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

[URL="https://twitter.com/toriihunter48"]

Ice cold.

Owie.
Posted Image

#1041 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:28 AM

After missing out on Upton, Greinke, and even Josh (who I wouldn't have wanted anyway), signs point that they will focus on the youths next season. I think we could end up getting AJ or Swisher (is he signed yet?) even though they are some of my most hated players. I think JD has something up his sleeve but nothing big. Personally I was hoping we would get Choo but that is out.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png

#1042 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

The only thing keeping me away from hating a 2 year 12/13 million deal for Ichiro is Victorino's contract.

#1043 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Kinsler's bat plays better in the OF than at 1B, and he's athletic enough to cover a corner OF spot. Him moving to 1B takes Olt's most obvious position anyway.

I like the Anibal signing for the Cubs. Garza, Samardzija, Anibal, and Baker could be an excellent rotation. If Rizzo and Castro progress the Cubs could contend for the postseason next year. As for Anibal, his fastball velocity improved the last two years, as did his first strike%.

If I were the Angels I'd keep Bourjos and trade Trumbo and/or Morales. Or just dump Wells already.

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

ThroneofSeth.png

#1044 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Sanchez gets 5/80 to stay with the Tigers.

#1045 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

Apparently, Dickey and prospects(hopefully not Wheeler,Checcini,and Nimmo) for D'Arnaud(YES!)/Arrencibia(NO!) and Gose.

I thought the Mets would deal niese and prospects for D'arnaud/Gose and flip Dickey to either the angels for Bourjos or the Rangers for Olt and maybe Martin.

Sad to see R.A go but we need to get younger and getting D'Arnaud and possibly Gose would give us a bright future....especially at Catcher!
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350
R.I.P Nujabes aka Jun Seba (1974-2010) Another great musical mind ripped from our hands.

#1046 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

The Braves are on the hunt for Trumbo. I know it'll cost some good pitching, but I think it's worth it.

#1047 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

The Braves are on the hunt for Trumbo. I know it'll cost some good pitching, but I think it's worth it.

I think the angels would rather part with Bourjos and keep Trumbo but again, if the deal is good, why not trade for another pitcher from the Braves.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350

#1048 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Potential Players announced in the Dickey Deal

Tor gets:
Dickey
Thole
Non-Elite prospect(thinking Den Dekker)

NYM Gets:
D'arnaud
Syndergaard
Buck
PTBNL/Prospect(not elite)/cash to off set Bucks 6 million dollar contract.

I love R.A Dickey but this is a deal that needs to get done. Syndergaard has some horrific stuff. striking out 11 per 9 is nasty...even in A ball. D'Arnaud will be all ready for 2014 and best yet, they are under our control for a long time. Also we dont lose Flores so I am pretty gitty right now.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350

#1049 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Absolutely stupid deal by the Blue Jays. Trading away your best prospect and another top 5 prospect for what may turn out to be a rental if an extension doesn't happen.
Posted Image

#1050 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Definitely. Need an LF and especially need some more power in the lineup.

I'd gladly part with one of Delgado/Tejeran and a couple other prospects for him.

Would have a solid outfiled with Trumbo, Upton and Heyward.

Have to make sure to have money to lock up Heyward and Freeman long-term after the season though.