2012 MLB Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1142 replies to this topic

#181 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:56 AM

I'm really not happy right now, 11 innings and the Phillies can only manage 4 hits?! Now they are in last place in the NL East. Cliff Lee did an amazing job pitching with 10 shutout innings but it's really frustrating to see the offense (or lack of it). Matt Cain pitched excellent as well.

#182 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

Arghh, can't believe I had to work during that pitching match.
!San Francisco Giants 2010 & 2012 World Series Champions!

Posted Image

#183 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Protip for anyone playing in an ESPN league:

Jake Peavy is owned in less than 30% of leagues. WTF? Dude had a 3.21 FIP last season, better than:

Ian Kennedy, C.J. Wilson, David Price, Anibal Sanchez, James Shields, Johnny Cueto, Yovani Gallardo, Gio Gonzalez, Tommy Hanson, Josh Beckett, Michael Pineda, Daniel Hudson, and Shaun Marcum.

His xFIP was better than Jered Weaver, Mat Latos, Jordan Zimmermann, and Matt Cain.

His throwing nearly 92 MPH this season. He no longer has the worst RF in the history of baseball (with the possible exception of Adam Dunn) in Carlos Quentin anymore, and Rios moved from CF to LF. His control is bonkers, and his swinging strike rate is on par with his Padres days. He did rather well against the Rangers in Texas, and the Tigers in U.S. Cellular. Shut down the Orioles Wednesday night.

All of this, and Jonathan Sanchez has twice as many owners. Daniel Bard has three times as many owners. Barry Zito is owned by more managers. As is Jair Jurrjens. Johan Santana is nearly universally owned, but Peavy is owned by less than 1/3 of managers?

Even if he only made ten starts this season, how many guys on the wire will give you a K per inning, low WHIP, and potential for a 3.00 ERA? Even in an 8 team league that list is pretty much just Peavy.

I can make a similar post about Jonathan Niese, too. Dude should be owned in way more leagues. At least twice as many.

Edited by Feeding the Abscess, 19 April 2012 - 08:52 AM.

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#184 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

Lol... Everyone is abandoning ship on Lincecum. Got an offer in my fantasy league: Lincecum, Hellickson, Storen for Strasburg. :rofl:

Well, Storen is out for a while, and I'm betting he won't pitch at all this year, Hellickson is a massive regression candidate (I wouldn't even own him in a 12 team league - if a dude doesn't strike out 6 guys per 9, he better not walk anybody. And Hellickson gives up some walks), and Strasburg won't be pitching in September, so in head to head leagues you'll get nothing from him in the playoffs.

There's nothing but risk in that whole trade.

#185 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

While I do miss Lee, I don't wish we still had him. He would have cost too much money down the line which is the same reason I don't wish we still had CJ. I love the rotation as it is right now.

I'm glad we swept the two-game stint from Boston, but the the Rangers face their first playoff-caliber team this weekend in Detroit. The Rangers have always played bad at Comerica, but the same was true at Minnesota's new ballpark. Theoretically, I would love to see them split the series. Gonna be interesting to see Darvish face the best hitting team he has ever faced.

If anything is being proven in baseball right now, it's that you can let guys like Lee, Pujhols, Reyes etc. walk and it doesn't destroy your team.

#186 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

I'm really not happy right now, 11 innings and the Phillies can only manage 4 hits?! Now they are in last place in the NL East. Cliff Lee did an amazing job pitching with 10 shutout innings but it's really frustrating to see the offense (or lack of it). Matt Cain pitched excellent as well.

Yeah, that was a tough loss to swallow. We should be able to kick the shit out of the Padres though, I hope...

#187 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

Man, that was a fantastic series between the Dodgers and the Brewers. One win on the last play, one win in extra innings, and all three 1 run games.
Posted Image

#188 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

Yeah, that was a tough loss to swallow. We should be able to kick the shit out of the Padres though, I hope...

I hope so too, although a sweep would be great, I'd be satisfied with them winning 3 out of 4 considering the Padres have the worst record in all of MLB.

#189 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:38 AM

Nah, Phillies don't need to sweep the Padres. ;)

Nice inning from the Braves though to get the lead in the Diamondbacks game. Figures Uggla had to tie it up shortly before that though with his error.

Also, what's up with Mike Napoli. Sucked at the beginning, but he's tearing it up this week. Doing wonders for my fantasy team too.

card.png

#190 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

Nah, Phillies don't need to sweep the Padres. ;)

Nice inning from the Braves though to get the lead in the Diamondbacks game. Figures Uggla had to tie it up shortly before that though with his error.

Also, what's up with Mike Napoli. Sucked at the beginning, but he's tearing it up this week. Doing wonders for my fantasy team too.

What is up with Mike Napoli? He's awesome. That's whats up.

Another solid start for Darvish tonight as the Rangers whooped that Tiger ass. He was a little erratic and walked 5 people, but the ump had a pretty strict strike zone. He still buckled down and tossed that nasty curve to get out of the more dangerous situations. Let's hope the rest of the ALCS rematch goes just as good as tonight did. :bouncy:
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#191 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

Well, Storen is out for a while, and I'm betting he won't pitch at all this year, Hellickson is a massive regression candidate (I wouldn't even own him in a 12 team league - if a dude doesn't strike out 6 guys per 9, he better not walk anybody. And Hellickson gives up some walks), and Strasburg won't be pitching in September, so in head to head leagues you'll get nothing from him in the playoffs.

There's nothing but risk in that whole trade.

I declined it and the guy countered with Verlander and Storen for Strasburg. It is a keeper league (keep only 3) so I bit. Plan on wheeling Verlander for a first round bat and a subpar pitcher.

#192 Ski Hawk

Ski Hawk

Digimon Fanboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

Woah, 10 innings? When's the last time a pitcher worked more than 9 innings in a game?

#193 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

I declined it and the guy countered with Verlander and Storen for Strasburg. It is a keeper league (keep only 3) so I bit. Plan on wheeling Verlander for a first round bat and a subpar pitcher.

Wow, that guy really wanted Strasburg LOL.

#194 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Another good game from the Braves.

Another strong start from Minor, and offense kept rolling in beating Arizona 10-2.

#195 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Wow, that guy really wanted Strasburg LOL.

Well I suppose he's trying to piece together the 2016 League Championship team because he traded Lincecum for Mike Trout and he drafted Bryce Harper in Rd 7..... :lol:

#196 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

10,000 wins for the Reds...in 130 years...

Oh, and I love how people were all getting ready to start the "Rivera's done" rants (not anyone in this thread, just saying in general) after his awful opening day performance. They were just waiting for one more bad performance. They could sense the blood in the water. Five innings since then: 6K's, no walks, and 2 hits. It boggles my mind that he can still be this efficient and dominant at 42...

#197 MillerTime2523

MillerTime2523

JIMMER TIME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

100 year fenway celebration was fucking awesome. I almost cried tears of joy when the '04 team and Francona came out haha. Childhood heroes... :)

Too bad the Sox got their assess kicked lol. I think they'll be fine when Crawford and Ellsbury come back. We saw this happen last year too.

I liked the "WE WANT TITO" chants in the 9th lol

#198 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

Well I suppose he's trying to piece together the 2016 League Championship team because he traded Lincecum for Mike Trout and he drafted Bryce Harper in Rd 7..... :lol:

Wow. So I guess those are his three keepers. I mean, if the league were a dynasty league and everyone could be kept I'd understand that strategy. But yeah...

#199 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

I think they'll be fine when Crawford and Ellsbury come back. We saw this happen last year too.

Sadly, I'm less convinced. The team is an absolute mess right now, and I'm not sure the talent is there for them to turn things around this season. I don't think they're going to lose 100 games or anything, but I don't expect them to be a serious playoff contender. I didn't before the season, and I certainly haven't seen anything to change my mind. I hope I'm wrong of course.

33126.png

#200 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Another dominate performance from the Braves beating Arizona 9-1 last night.

Which incidentally is also their record since the 0-4 start.

#201 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

It'll be interesting to see how they do against some better teams. Can't complain about a good start though.

Although it would be nice for some closer games. I need Kimbrel to get my fantasy team some saves this weekend. :razz:

card.png

#202 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

Can the playoffs start?

Rangers are absolutely killing it. 8-0 and the first inning isn't even over.

#203 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Can the playoffs start?

Rangers are absolutely killing it. 8-0 and the first inning isn't even over.

Yeah, it just kept going and going. I loved every bit of. Also, Brandon Inge has no place being at second base. He's just not that good of a player at all.

Sucked to see Beltre tweak his hammy, but hopefully it's nothing major. He's listed as day-to-day for now.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#204 MillerTime2523

MillerTime2523

JIMMER TIME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

I didn't think it was possible, but we lost CJ and still managed to upgrade the staff. I'm just a little nervous about Nathan in the closer role. He's been shaky so far.. But man, Texas has been killing it lately. The series against the Yankees should be great. I'm thinking this could be the year we get over the hump and win the title. Fingers crossed.

#205 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

It is tragic that Josh Hamilton pissed a half decade away for drugs. That swing... dude could easily have had 300 HR by now.

#206 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

Phil Humber of the White Sox just threw a perfect game. Oh my.

#207 Ugamer_X

Ugamer_X

You can trust me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

That ump wanted no part of possibly repeating the Joyce-Galarraga situation.

#208 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

That was a swing.

#209 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

Man the Red Sox are an embarrassing bunch right now, huh? Almost makes me wish I were a fairweather fan and could jump on the Nationals bandwagon. Can't do it though.

33126.png

#210 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

That was a swing.

Here's a better angle of the final bullet. Did he swing? Freeze frame tells all.