Asura's Wrath $41 with clearance tag at Target. (YMMV)

rockettorussia

CAGiversary!
This is almost certainly a mistake but may be happening at some other targets. Didn't check the 360 version but it may be the same as well.

Might be worth checking out your local target.

[quote name='retrad']pretty sure this one will be $20 in 6 months anyway, I can wait.[/QUOTE]

Probably less, I've heard the game has only about 2-4 hours of actual gameplay.

[quote name='taylort3']i predict $20 in 2 months, or when street fighter x tekken comes out in a few weeks :lol:[/QUOTE]

I can see that for a used price (Gamefly) in a couple months, but why bring up when that comes out? It's a silly over the top DBZ style movie with interaction (action adventure being the genre).

You know that Hepler chick got so much crap for suggesting a skip combat button...this game is pretty much the same thing right?

[quote name='cancerman1120']You know that Hepler chick got so much crap for suggesting a skip combat button...[/QUOTE]

What?

Is there more then 1 spot where they keep clearance games? i check my local target 4-5 times a week and they never have anything in clearance worth getting, most the time it's just 10-15% off msrp on games that are years old.

games that should be selling for $19.99 but are like 52.99 or 4x.xx

[quote name='styl3s']Is there more then 1 spot where they keep clearance games? i check my local target 4-5 times a week and they never have anything in clearance worth getting, most the time it's just 10-15% off msrp on games that are years old.

games that should be selling for $19.99 but are like 52.99 or 4x.xx[/QUOTE]

At the Target nearest me if they ever have clearance games they're way down near the automotive section and it varies by store, so sometimes you have to do some exploring or ask an employee.

I know this game is gonna drop fast, but I absolutely don't regret paying full price. So many people misuse the word "epic", but this is honestly the most epic game ever made.

I've yet to see a Target store with the game in stock period, let alone in clearance. I know it's not a well known title, but the lack of availability of this game in stores is really going to hurt its chances.

I kinda want to buy it just to show these guys that I like their work. Some of the most interesting animation and effects I've seen in a game this gen. There were some really talented artists working on this one.

That said, it's as anime as you can get and there's not a ton of gameplay. It's pretty much an insanely epic Heavy Rain where the solution to every problem is to punch it as hard as possible, then a few open combat sections. Might keep my gamefly copy as reference; I can see playing through it again at some point.

Took me about 7-8 hours to wrap up on hard, for those questioning the game's length.

[quote name='KtMack23']This is why no one makes new ips[/QUOTE]
The real problem is that when someone makes a 5-7 hour game on hard difficulty, they expect people to buy it at $60 then whine when it doesn't sell. I am all for supporting new ips, but if it's that short, I don't really want to spend my $60 or 40 on clearance on it.

$40 is still too much for me, but I will buy it at $20.

[quote name='TraBuch']I know this game is gonna drop fast, but I absolutely don't regret paying full price. So many people misuse the word "epic", but this is honestly the most epic game ever made.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain in your opinion how it's epic? I only played the demo but, aside from the one-on-one with that guy with the sword, it seems fixed and based heavily of quick time events. Very cinematic though.

Reviews have been brutal . . . tons of cutscenes and QTEs, and very little actual gameplay. I'm sure there are some amazing scenes in this game, but with so little apparent actual gameplay, it just doesn't seem worth it. I'll wait for the bargain bin; preferably around $10.

Cue Comic Book Guy: "Fastest. Clearance. Ever."

Joking aside, I agree with most posters here--I'll pick it up when it inevitably hits $20. It looks like it has some campy action game craziness, a la God Hand, Bayonetta, etc. but the overabundance of QTEs, short playtime, and poor reviews mean I'm going to wait until it hits bargain bin.

I agree that gamers should vote with their dollars, ESPECIALLY when it comes to new IPs. But for me, that means games like Ghost Trick, Solatorobo, and Xenoblade--where I really feel strongly enough to pay more or preorder to support the developers or localization efforts.

[quote name='cancerman1120']You know that Hepler chick got so much crap for suggesting a skip combat button...this game is pretty much the same thing right?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Lordd_G']What?[/QUOTE]

Look up Jennifer Hepler, Bioware, Dragon Age. She basically has been cyberbullied from fans for saying she is not a big video game player even though she writes for Bioware. Some fanboys lost their collective minds and think she is the sole reason for the decline of video games. It is really just childish nonsense.

[quote name='KtMack23']This is why no one makes new ips[/QUOTE]

Well there is a huge difference between this game as a new Ips and Kingdoms of Amalur. You need to give people more than 6-7 hours of game if you want to charge $60 and establish a fanbase. Heck the new Alan Wake game has 4-5 hours of SP and unlimited "horde mode" for a game that only costs $15.

Black Friday: $10

That is my bet on this one, no desire to bother unless it is dirt cheap after what I got from the demo, which was QTEs and some minor script heavy on rail gameplay. So, about worth the price of a cinema admission.

[quote name='FerDK']I´ll wait, probably Best Buy will have this as ´Deal of The Day´ for $5 on Nov-Dec.[/QUOTE]
Ditto, seems like one of those games that sell badly even tho it's ok but will never get a sequel; maybe they'll try to throw the character into another edition of MvC3 but that's as far as it's likely to go

Publishers can really hurt themselves by selling all new games for $60. Tiered pricing would help shorter games a lot.

[quote name='bnizzle']Publishers can really hurt themselves by selling all new games for $60. Tiered pricing would help shorter games a lot.[/QUOTE]

Ok, how much is low enough? Whenever I see a game come out at $40 or even $30, I generally assume it's not great or will require paid DLC, so I just wait until it hits $20 or less. I think publishers have experimented with tiered pricing and the same people who bite at $60 bite at $40 and so they just make less money.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Well there is a huge difference between this game as a new Ips and Kingdoms of Amalur. You need to give people more than 6-7 hours of game if you want to charge $60 and establish a fanbase. Heck the new Alan Wake game has 4-5 hours of SP and unlimited "horde mode" for a game that only costs $15.[/QUOTE]

There is also a huge difference if not one minute of Amalur is enjoyable to someone, which is true for a lot of people. There are plenty of us that still replay short games just like we did 20 years ago (some of these cost more than $60 and weren't even half this long); it's all a matter of perspective.

I do agree that there should be more tiered pricing, however. It seemed to work fine the previous generations, where something like this would be $40 or even $30 in order to establish a fanbase for potential sequels (can't forget the infamous NFL football pricing war that led to the exclusivity deal, either). This and NeverDead for another recent new IP are interesting attempts, but they're only decent games that won't draw too many people in, let alone get bought by more than a niche crowd at full price.

im tired of that length of game --> money correlation. honestly, i paid 50$ for super metroid when it first dropped. and that game can be short as hell, yet i regret nothing in terms of buying it for full price.

[quote name='Sandrock7383']im tired of that length of game --> money correlation. honestly, i paid 50$ for super metroid when it first dropped. and that game can be short as hell, yet i regret nothing in terms of buying it for full price.[/QUOTE]
It's not just that, the game itself is mostly cutscene

I played the demo and I can safely say it was one of my least favorites ever. An overabundance of QTEs plus being WAY too over the top for my tastes turned me off immediately. I doubt I would even waste my time playing this game if I got it for free.

[quote name='Killbomb']I played the demo and I can safely say it was one of my least favorites ever. An overabundance of QTEs plus being WAY too over the top for my tastes turned me off immediately. I doubt I would even waste my time playing this game if I got it for free.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for stopping by and adding nothing to the topic at hand!

Side note typical Capcom fashion 3 DLC packs already announced!!!

[quote name='chimpmeister']Reviews have been brutal . . . tons of cutscenes and QTEs, and very little actual gameplay. I'm sure there are some amazing scenes in this game, but with so little apparent actual gameplay, it just doesn't seem worth it. I'll wait for the bargain bin; preferably around $10.[/QUOTE]
A 77 on Metacritic is brutal?

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']A 77 on Metacritic is brutal?[/QUOTE]

Thats what I was thinking when I saw that, IGN praised it though said it was very niche

Rather than people complaining about reviews and crap, can someone else post if they have actually seen this at THEIR Target?

[quote name='cancerman1120']Look up Jennifer Hepler, Bioware, Dragon Age. She basically has been cyberbullied from fans for saying she is not a big video game player even though she writes for Bioware. Some fanboys lost their collective minds and think she is the sole reason for the decline of video games. It is really just childish nonsense.[/QUOTE]

She didn't do herself any favors in taking the bait and responding the way she did. She fed the trolls a line that will echo on forums for who knows how long, her superior further stoked the flames in trying to defend her and this isn't the first time a Bioware writer got into it personally with critics either. The whole thing is a mess that could have been avoided had a company the size of Bioware just hired a decent P.R. firm.

She actually had a chance to further explore her comments about preferring story over gameplay, but that opportunity is gone now. The internet is a bunch of faceless opinions, if you try to fight it, they will simply multiply and persist.

I have to say though, something like Asura's Wrath sounds exactly like what Hepler would want, only with much more romance and melodrama. Asura's Wrath reminds me of those FMV games which no longer exist but were once popular on the Sega Cd; games like Sewer Shark, Prize Fighter and Tomcat Alley which are light on gameplay. Maybe there is a market for this, far be it from me to deprive anyone of a new experience they enjoy, but it would be about as niche a market as they come.

[quote name='joshnorm']Thats what I was thinking when I saw that, IGN praised it though said it was very niche[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but IGN's rating scale STARTS at 7/10 so that's not saying much...

[quote name='Daemonocracy']Asura's Wrath reminds me of those FMV games which no longer exist but were once popular on the Sega Cd; games like Sewer Shark, Prize Fighter and Tomcat Alley which are light on gameplay. Maybe there is a market for this, far be it from me to deprive anyone of a new experience they enjoy, but it would be about as niche a market as they come.[/QUOTE]
That's pretty much what it is. An niche FMV-like game. Looking at it, you would assume it's a straight up action/adventure game. I myself love over the top hotblooded anime stuff, but $60 dollars is asking WAY too much for this game.

Flat out, this is the greatest rental game I've ever played.

I was done in an afternoon but that time spent was some of the most fun I've had with a controller in my hands in years.

It was literately like playing an interactive shounen anime with some of the craziest things ever imagined and while I can understand people's hesitation of picking up a game that you can finish quickly and doesn't have much replay value, I will surely be renting this game now that I've beaten it and will add to my collection when I get it for around $20-30 because frankly, it deserves a spot in my library to be showcased.

Read the review at Joystiq which mirrors much of my own opinions on what makes this game special

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/22/asuras-wrath-review/

will buy this when it hits 10 or 13 on a gamefly sale later this year game looks awesome but I cant spend 60 on any game with a giant backlog I need a slap a check when I walk up to a counter carrying a 60 dollar game.

I love over the top action games (dmc,bayonetta and vanquish) but I really hated this demo. Any chance I might like the full game if I hated the little bit I played?

bread's done
Back