CAGcast #272: Sony Sympathy

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#31 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

The Mayans predicted this... but I still can't believe that Cheapy is trying "not" to bash Sony! This from the guy who spent 3 years saying that Railfan was the best game on the PS3?! What's funny is that all of the gripes mentioned about the PS3 Vita imo were totally justified. I've been listening to a couple other podcasts, and when they talk about the PS Vita it sounds like an infomercial; its sickening... "I play my Vita on the train..." "I Love Uncharted," "The Touch Controls add so much value to the game." blah blah blah... I implore you guys to speak your mind... but instead of "just being negative" come up with some solutions as to how Sony (Nintendo, Microsoft), etc.) could do it better, that way you can still complain, but the "suggestion" will serve to take the focus off the negative comment(s).

I've never heard the term Enthusiastic Media / Journalism, but these other podcasts have taken it too far. They sit around with 3-4 guys laughing at their own jokes, sitting around "liking" everything. I love this game" "Oh yeah, this game is great, and "don't forget about this game its a must have of 2011, 2012, 2013." So Fuck the other video game journalists / podcasts and their Enthusiastic bullshit. I'll always respect you guys for speaking how you truly feel about a product... even if I disagree with your opinion.. but hell that's always been the fun on the show! [you guys say how you feel, then everyone floods the comment thread about how stupid or how great your comments are.]

Lastly, after the last show.. I picked up my PSP and played Luminies 2.. and it was fucking great... I don't need a new 40 dollar Lumines and a 250 dollar PS Vita...
Posted Image

#32 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

I'm enjoying my Vita and I'm all set with games do to the B2G1 promos. I will say I've found that the retailers around me have been very picked over of games. I don't really shop at Wal-mart so I can't confirm Shipwreck's findings. However at the Target, Bestbuy, ToysRUs and even Gamestops I frequent they have been hit hard.

I'm with Wombat when it comes to iphone games, too much crap out there to sort through to get to the decent games. I want to be able to stumble upon some solid titles before I'm told these are great games by the masses. However, gambling on the iphone library of games, even if they are cheap, is still a losing strategy, at least with the games I've picked up thus far.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

#33 dobedobedo

dobedobedo

Australopithecus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

I would also like to know what the spoiler was in the Mass Effect 3 demo, please.
Posted Image

#34 Kosh

Kosh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

My favorite quote from this podcast was this.

Because I'm stupid.

#35 metalmat

metalmat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Why not just call it the PSV?
Who Dat said they gonna beat them Saints?
Posted Image

#36 Jqwerty

Jqwerty

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

Where can I find Jaffe going apeshit?

#37 robstar

robstar

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hey CheapyD where do you find all your music?
Posted Image

#38 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Wombat's pitch of StackSoap was hilarious.

I'm going to have to agree with Shipwreck's take on the Vita. I can see the potential for good games on the platform, but I'm not really interested in inferior versions of games I already play on the consoles. This is why I bought so many games on the DS, because there are a number of unique games on system. I enjoyed Pokemon and Dragon Quest IX immensely, those aren't games you really see on other platforms.

#39 darkchild81

darkchild81

One Tough Puppy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

It's always hilarious when Wombat plays the "Shipwreck role" and is the reasonable and sensible voice in the discussion, like when talking about the Vita and iPhone games. Good stuff.

But as for Cheapy not knowing why he isn't blown away by the Vita, he isn't the target audience. He is totally content spending his portable gaming money and time on $.99 score-chasing mini-games. And that's totally cool. But you have to recognize that there are gamers out there, like those journalists, that would love to play deeper console-style games on the go. People who would love to play Wipeout on their commute, Uncharted on their lunch break, and Lumines on the toliet.

And the pricing isn't too offensive either. Of course I would like everything to be cheaper, but for now during the launch of this brand new system, the prices for the hardware and games seem reasonable.

But that's just my opinion, I know there are all types of gamers and to each his own.
Anyways, you guys are my favorite video game podcast. I love the dynamic you have together. Keep up the excellent work.

#40 mrspicytacoman

mrspicytacoman

Apply Ubik only as directed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

why are you guys reading into walmart stock levels so much? Have you met the people who work at walmarts? I expect getting any kind of adequate stock and display level out on the floor is a hassle considering most your employees are lunkheads.

vpnz.png2h50m13.gif2eb67tj.jpgn5qy6u.gif

#TrueGamer

#41 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

SSX: It's not that the game is dated, its that the demo is just really mediocre. For a comparison, if you still have SSX3, pop it in your 360 (it's compatible). SSX3 is still fun as hell and still looks great. The game oozes personality. Now try the new demo. Bland as hell. I tried Zoe, and she just seemed like a generic avatar. Boring. I'm hoping it's just a bad demo, but I'm not too hopeful. I think they once again ignored the things that made SSX3 so great.

Vita: Every console sucks in the beginning. You can't judge it's worth for a few months. Personally I think Sony will screw it up just like the PSP, but it's too early to tell.

Jaffe: I like Jaffe even more after hearing him defend himself. He had every right to after a major site posts a character assassination piece that declares him a misogynist. Especially when they don't even know the meaning of the word. I don't really care for his games lately, but I like him.

Iphone gaming: The "who cares, it's only a dollar" attitude is pretty lame. That's a great way to wallow in mediocrity. After throwing away 20 games and getting 1 good one, that's like paying $20 for one good game. Doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

Wombat, since Cheapy and Ship jumped all over you in the iphone part, I decided to write a quick guide on how to find good iphone games:
1) Ignore anything over $.99.
2) Ignore anything that has a link to "Top In-app Purchases" in the game description
3) Check the screenshots and ignore anything that has virtual buttons
4) Ignore anything with less than 4 stars
5) Buy Stupid Zombies and Extreme Golf, because everything else sucks.

#42 juve1986

juve1986

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

Good show to the Cagcast crew, i couldn't stop laughing from Wombats comment about the dude in the subway with the "full suite of armor" playing the PSVita.

#43 Chronis

Chronis

Hey, I just met you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

I find it amusing that Cheapy and, to a lesser degree, Ship just love beating the dead horse known as the Vita. But as soon as Wombat questions the iPhone as a gaming device, the white knights came riding on on their mighty steeds to protect the precious damsel in distress. Really? For a device thats essentially been out for years, the isn't much on it that stands the test of time. I can only imagine the amount of "but they're only $1" games that Cheapy has bought, only to never touch again after the first one or two tries. Wouldn't that money be better spent on full fledged games, even if they are more money? Maybe not necessarily at Vita launch (when was the last time we had a good console launch?), but why not down the road?

11317.png

#44 dizee

dizee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

Seems weird how Cheapy and Shipwreck bash on a Uncharted game for the Vita yet if a Alan Wake portable game came out on the Vita (or something similar) they would probably praise it till the end of time.

Also, American Nightmare is not as good as the original Alan Wake. Way more repetitive than AW1 and lacks the quality story the first had. You still get your $15 worth IMO but I would like to see more story next time.

dizeeStL.png

#45 Phelmo

Phelmo

Phelmo 2 Strong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

Just thought I'd throw it out there that you can press any old bar of soap into a new one and it will merge with it... Why would anyone pay more for it? Lmao
Check out my enthusiast setup video here :D.

#46 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

Part of what makes me want to listen to the CAGcast are the strong opinions of its hosts. As someone that fully supports both the Kinect and the 3DS, I can understand why Vita owners could grow tired of the anti-Vita rants on the CAGcast, but there's no denying the faults in any of these new devices. I feel like a lot of gaming journalists--which praise new devices like the 3DS or the Vita--have lost touch with the gaming world. It's easy to praise a new device when the company has shipped you that device for free or you have the means to afford them. For most of us, however, the decision to throw down over $200 for a new device (and $30-$40 for subsequent games) is not such an easy decision to make. I value the opinions of Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat much more than I do gaming journalists because they speak as gamers first and foremost, and cheap-ass ones at that. I don't agree with their opinions 100% of the time but at least I feel like I'm getting a much more honest opinion out of them.

Great show as always.
Posted Image

#47 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:47 AM

Typical Wombat douche-baggery. He's had the iphone a whole month and he knows everything about the platform. Wow spent 5 min. browsing the store, you really did you're homework, there. Is that how you find music too? But I guess there are enough gamers who are butt-hurt about Apple to continue this.

The only problem is the amount of noise (and I will admit there is a lot) on ios that one has to filter to get to the good stuff. But to simply declare all it has is crap is just dumb.

#48 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:49 AM

I hope the Vita bombs because Sony's arrogance seems to never faulter. The memory cards are overpriced, Uncharted is $50 (WTF?) and unit is damn expensive. I look forward to third party memory cards and a drastic price drop by holiday (prolly $180?).

#49 BlueRock

BlueRock

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:02 AM

I'll start the podcast tonight, but just looking at Ship's tweet responses, us Sony fanboys (I'll include myself, I use my PS3 most of any console) need to back down a bit.

Blasting on Ship for posting a pic from his Wal-Mart? Come on guys, show some maturity.

And even though I'll have a Vita soon and that Uncharted game, the quicklook on giantbomb is pretty damning. The game just spends too much time making you exercise the abilities of the Vita. Balance beams again? Having to swipe in the middle of a fight? That is launch title junk and I don't see why I should laud it just because I like Uncharted.

Sony, please make another Uncharted game for Vita that is less gimmicky.

#50 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:46 AM

Wait wait wait, Did Bioware consult Wombat directly for "project Wombat"? Cuz that would be cool beans.
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#51 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

weeeeeeeeeeee another hour or so of the fucking microoft fanboy hour. bloody hell already say whatever you want about sony nobody cares least of all sony at the end of the day if the vita fails they will continue on as a company you all come off really arrogant to say you want to have sympathy for a company that wastes more money on paper cups than you all will ever see in a collected lifetime of working.

you dont like it fine move on to another topic but your sony hate can be too much to stomach at times fucking hell but you lick the sweat of the balls of microsoft of every little thing they do. please for the love of God just stop this bullshit already everyone gets it already you love the taste of microsofts balls in your mouth.

#52 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:24 AM

Walmart is the last place you should go for gaming because they are the worst place to buy games. The games never seem to go below MSRP regardless of age which results in really old games selling for $60 and they generally don't have a very good selection. The Walmart by me still has a Xbox 360 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Super Elite Console and it still hasn't gone down in price from when it was released in 2009. A better indicator would probably be Amazon where the Playstation Vita Wifi is currently #5 in Video Game Best Sellers.

I guess I'm the complete opposite of you guys because the reason why I want a Vita is because it is the closest thing possible to a console experience that I can get from a handheld. I think the biggest problem with the Vita right now is the price. $250 is a little steep for a handheld gaming system. The 3DS also launched with a $250 price tag, but it went down in price pretty quickly and hopefully the PSV does too. The memory cards and games are also too damn expensive. There's no reason a handheld game should cost $50 and $99 for 32GBs is just plain crazy. The $30/40 range like the 3DS seems more reasonable.

With regards to the launch of the Vita, I think it had an ok set of launch titles considering how launches normally go. There are a couple games that I'm interested in, but sadly none of them are really original. They're either ports or new handheld versions of console games. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. The first uniquely Vita game I'm looking forward to is Gravity Rush, but that doesn't come out until May.

We'll have to see how the Vita does. I really want it to succeed because it's a gorgeous device that has so much going for it in terms of hardware. My main concern is developer support. I really don't know what the second half of the year holds for the Vita. I guess one thing it has going for it is that it seems like an excellent platform to play cheap downloadable titles like Super Stardust Delta and Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack. Hopefully it does well and they lower the price before the end of the year so I can buy one. Budget titles would help too. :bouncy:
Posted Image

#53 Russ W.

Russ W.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:23 AM

This image instantly came to mind during cheapys "self-censoring of tweets" confessional:
Posted Image
seriously most unintentionally funny thing I've heard all week.

#54 mrx001

mrx001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

I would be surprised if CheapyD and Shipwreck get an invite to the Sony's press conference at E3.3 weeks of Cheapy bashing...that's not unreasonably critical./s

#55 chado53

chado53

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

Before Shipwreck was in the picture, the podcast was simple. CheapyD was the MS fanboy and Wombat seemed to be the more open-book reasonable person. Now, I think that Shipwreck seems to outwit Wombat more often than not with his common-sense and CheapyD always lightens the mood with his Howard Stern approach to the show, being the king. I still love all three but now it just seems Wombat can get a little bitter about being wrong. But, all in all loved the show.

p.s. i actually would love for you guys to bitch and argue with each other more about your different opinons. it's actually pretty funny and makes it feel less scripted and robotic.

#56 trent82

trent82

Master Of Unlocking

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

It is sad that we are getting to the point where people are saying "who cares if it sucks, it's only a dollar" as a way to justify playing awful generic garbage on their phone. The only stuff worth playing on iOS are the simple games...puzzle games, board games, word games, etc. Anything with any level of intensity is almost always terrible. If you don't want to carry around a portable gaming device and would rather just mess around with whatever is on your phone, that's understandable. But lets not fool ourselves into believing those little apps are as good or better than the real games available on 3DS and Vita.
3DS Friend Code :: 5112-3434-8624

#57 infamy

infamy

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

weeeeeeeeeeee another hour or so of the fucking microoft fanboy hour. bloody hell already say whatever you want about sony nobody cares least of all sony at the end of the day if the vita fails they will continue on as a company you all come off really arrogant to say you want to have sympathy for a company that wastes more money on paper cups than you all will ever see in a collected lifetime of working.

you dont like it fine move on to another topic but your sony hate can be too much to stomach at times fucking hell but you lick the sweat of the balls of microsoft of every little thing they do. please for the love of God just stop this bullshit already everyone gets it already you love the taste of microsofts balls in your mouth.

Jesus CHRIST at the salty PS3 fanboy posts. Everyone and their mother are predicting Vita to fail based off a bunch of wrongdoings from Sony, the competition with the very popular 3DS, and the whole smartphone/tablet shebang. Yet Cheapy and crew express honest and justified opinions and a bunch of people start crying?

Get the Fuck off the site, then. Calling people "fanboys" to justify your own fanboyism is more tiring then "herp derp 3 weeks of Vita negativity."

#58 dacool561

dacool561

Take a Look at This

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Dear CheapyD,
Please never again use the word "Tight" to describe a game.

Thanks,
Dac

#59 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

Let's beat the vita dead horse a little more. . .

Here's my issue with Cheapy's assessment of the vita. Usually when someone purchases a devise, they have an intended purpose in mind for how and when they will use the said devise. Cheapy bought his so that he could use it for reviews/impressions only. His opinions would be different if he commuted 2 hours each day which is the Vita's target audience. It is not for a stay at home dad who leaves the house once a day to drop his kid off at school (ok. . . that was a low blow).

No one is going to use the vita as a PS3/360 substitute. . . they are going to use it when they commute or need it to kill time waiting at the DMV. A reviewer should know this and review it for its target audience. Don't get me wrong, i don't mind hearing his opinions, but it's like getting a book review from a person who hates to read.

#60 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

Typical Wombat douche-baggery. He's had the iphone a whole month and he knows everything about the platform. Wow spent 5 min. browsing the store, you really did you're homework, there. Is that how you find music too? But I guess there are enough gamers who are butt-hurt about Apple to continue this.

The only problem is the amount of noise (and I will admit there is a lot) on ios that one has to filter to get to the good stuff. But to simply declare all it has is crap is just dumb.

One could make a decent case that the amount of "meaty" games is slim, but there are definitely a ton of great games out there. I wonder if Wombat has tried Sword & Poker yet. Great game that doesn't get mentioned much anymore.