Killzone 3 MP To Hit PSN as Separate Free Download Next Tuesday, February 28

ral1121

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
A heads up for those that were interested in purchasing Killzone 3 for the multiplayer:

Next Tuesday, February 28, Sony will be giving away the multiplayer side of Killzone 3 away for free via its PlayStation Network. Any PlayStation 3 owner with an internet connection and a PSN account will be able to sample Killzone 3 multiplayer across all of its maps, free-to-play style.

The download will feature a level cap, and players will have the option of paying $14.99 to unlock the full skill tree once they reach that cap. The single player campaign will not be included and is not planned to be sold separately.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...goes-free-to-play-a-la-cart-on-psn-next-week/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kilvas09']Sounds similar to what MAG did. I wish more multiplayer games did this. Really keeps the multiplayer community alive.[/QUOTE]

that, plus stop charging for DLC maps.
my biggest wish is the cross-platform multiplayer. online communities die out too fast unless they're halo or CoD. i don't expect this from xblive titles, but at least wiiU+ps3/4+PC games should be cross-online-play to keep online communities healthy as long as possible.

[quote name='Kilvas09']Sounds similar to what MAG did. I wish more multiplayer games did this. Really keeps the multiplayer community alive.[/QUOTE]
MAG is free for download? Since when and why didnt I ever hear of that?

Wow, that's a pretty crazy deal. I will def be grabbing this, I played KZ2 to death back in the day but never got around to playing the third one

Very interesting experiment. It's cross-compatible with the disc version of the multiplayer I guess? I mean it would almost have to be given their stated goal, but the article doesn't specifically say.

mag was cross-compatible because i was getting blown away with the dudes that were all leveled up, i think it would be the same with this, be ready to be frustrated some :) but nice find op!!! :) thanks!

Loved the KZ3 MP beta when it was live, so I will definitely be dl'ing this. Hell, $15 for the the uncapped MP isn't a bad deal at all...

The real question, however, is the online community still alive?

Thanks OP.

Interesting, I was planning of getting Killzone 3 for the single player campaign when it is cheaper. Meant to get KZ3 during the holiday season, just never got around to picking it up. Still have Killzone 2 in my backlog as well.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']Loved the KZ3 MP beta when it was live, so I will definitely be dl'ing this. Hell, $15 for the the uncapped MP isn't a bad deal at all...

The real question, however, is the online community still alive?

Thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

Even if the community is dead now (which I doubt it is), I bet after this goes free, it'll pick up.

Anyone have any idea regarding Trophies?

[quote name='XenoNinjaX']that, plus stop charging for DLC maps.
my biggest wish is the cross-platform multiplayer. online communities die out too fast unless they're halo or CoD. i don't expect this from xblive titles, but at least wiiU+ps3/4+PC games should be cross-online-play to keep online communities healthy as long as possible.[/QUOTE]

This seems so obvious it's annoying that publishers aren't getting it. If you make the freemium MP b/c with the regular version, you pad out the MP, extend the impact of your game's name/brand, invite opportunities to convert the free players to paid ones, and give extra value (in the form of more people to murder) to the players who did buy in with full feature set.

It's taken this long for them to realize that not every brand can be Call of Duty and to succeed the lesser brands with MP are going to have to innovate.

[quote name='jessesixto']killzone 3 multiplayer is not free? I have the game so I need to pay extra to pay multiplayer?[/QUOTE]No

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']This seems so obvious it's annoying that publishers aren't getting it. If you make the freemium MP b/c with the regular version, you pad out the MP, extend the impact of your game's name/brand, invite opportunities to convert the free players to paid ones, and give extra value (in the form of more people to murder) to the players who did buy in with full feature set.

It's taken this long for them to realize that not every brand can be Call of Duty and to succeed the lesser brands with MP are going to have to innovate.[/QUOTE]What makes you think they realize this? Better yet, what makes you think they are comparing their game to COD?

Yes, please come join me in some KZ3 multi...such a sick game, but at this point in it's life the online community is definitely declining a bit, so this could be a great little shot in the arm!

Great deal for those who haven't tried it yet! the online comunity is still very active 16 vs 16 warzone and operations most of the time and 8 vs 8 guerrilla warfare (i play at night)... best MP of 2011 along with BF3, they'r very similar but KZ is faster.

I can speak on behalf of Killzone 3 MP.. no it is not dead.. A lot of people still play. And I can't wait for all of the newbies to pop on so I can crush them haha I'm top ranked biooooooooootch I love the game and same goes for Killzone 2. The series is levels above COD that shit is a flash in the pan.. they bring out so many of them in a year .. and they're all the same shit.. just a new name.

As for the multiplayer should be free.. um no! If I buy a game including campaign and multiplayer. I don't feel some jackass should get what I paid for .. for free.. sorry If you can't afford to buy the games maybe you should get a career or real job

Great opportunity for those that never bought killzone 3.

Multiplayer is excellent (I'm not even a big fan of fps games) and now with this the community will really expand again.

My only question is with this download you get all of the dlc maps to play; but those of us that bought the game already and don't have the dlc don't get it? We should get the dlc for free so we can play these new people.

[quote name='GirlsRscandalouz']I can speak on behalf of Killzone 3 MP.. no it is not dead.. A lot of people still play. And I can't wait for all of the newbies to pop on so I can crush them haha I'm top ranked biooooooooootch I love the game and same goes for Killzone 2. The series is levels above COD that shit is a flash in the pan.. they bring out so many of them in a year .. and they're all the same shit.. just a new name.

As for the multiplayer should be free.. um no! If I buy a game including campaign and multiplayer. I don't feel some jackass should get what I paid for .. for free.. sorry If you can't afford to buy the games maybe you should get a career or real job[/QUOTE]
This right here is why I don't play mp outside of GTA's free mode anymore. There's far too many 'serious' players who are a lil too good for my liking.:booty: What's funnier still is how they will bitch at you over their mics and then vote to kick you if you play 'unconventionally'.

I had people whining about how I was using a car(or heli) in GTA(Grand Theft AUTO) as an assist to get kills when I still played TDM/DM on that game. I guess they expected me to walk/run across the entire map once I got killed to get back to where most of the players were at?

As for whether this MP should be free or not, I really wish publishers would release seperate single and mp modes for games and charge LESS if seperating them. But free is good, level cap and having to pay $15 to unlock everything else is NOT.

[quote name='Havok83']MAG is free for download? Since when and why didnt I ever hear of that?[/QUOTE]

MAG trial is free for download for quite a while. They even made one of the expansion pack free just sometime in the fourth quarter of last year too.

Might play Killzone 3 Multiplayer when possible, made some cool killing during beta phase, but that was a while ago.

crap i had better sell off this helghast edition fast before this happens.

or not... its all over ebay and nobody appears to be bidding. guess ill crack her open and have matching twin helmets. woopdie.

Considering you could get a used copy of this game for ~$17, I would grab it used from GoHastings. There might be a current promo or something going on to make it cheaper. By doing that you'd have the full MP, and full game. Killzone 3

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As for whether this MP should be free or not, I really wish publishers would release seperate single and mp modes for games and charge LESS if seperating them. But free is good, level cap and having to pay $15 to unlock everything else is NOT.[/QUOTE]
Wow, someone complaining about high quality free multiplayer. $15 to unlock all features is pretty damn cheap. It's not like it's $15 a month like online MMOs such as Warcraft and Starwars. I guess all game companies should do pro bono work and not get paid for their efforts. Now charging for dlc maps and skins is lame. Those should be considered free updates to people who already paid for the game.

Do you think they will ever come out with another disc version with all the maps on it? I'll be in for this, but I hate DLC...I like all my stuff as hard copy.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']This right here is why I don't play mp outside of GTA's free mode anymore. There's far too many 'serious' players who are a lil too good for my liking.:booty: What's funnier still is how they will bitch at you over their mics and then vote to kick you if you play 'unconventionally'.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way you do. A "casual" multiplayer player like myself has no fighting chance against those "serious" players who spend 8 or more hours a day playing online. It's why MW3, Battlefield 3, MAG, Killzone 3, and many other FPS games I own sit on the shelf collecting dust. Just not my thing, and it has nothing to do with my "sucking". It has everything to do with people not having a life outside of a video game.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But free is good, level cap and having to pay $15 to unlock everything else is NOT.[/QUOTE]
$15 for one of the best shooters this gen is a pretty good deal, plus the level cap allows you to sample this game so if you like it, why not support the people who made it?

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']I feel the same way you do. A "casual" multiplayer player like myself has no fighting chance against those "serious" players who spend 8 or more hours a day playing online. It's why MW3, Battlefield 3, MAG, Killzone 3, and many other FPS games I own sit on the shelf collecting dust. Just not my thing, and it has nothing to do with my "sucking". It has everything to do with people not having a life outside of a video game.[/QUOTE]

You could just practice? I don't understand people like you. You barely play the game yet expect to be just as good as everyone else?

Anyways, as someone who owns KZ3, the level cap is not that big of a deal as say in MAG. All you unlock in KZ3 are some abilities and a couple weapons per class but they're not so over-powered as to give you no chance.

Hopefully some of these people buy the DLC maps. I still have a DLC trophy that I've been meanin to go back and try to get.

[quote name='Ja7Red']Wow, someone complaining about high quality free multiplayer. $15 to unlock all features is pretty damn cheap. It's not like it's $15 a month like online MMOs such as Warcraft and Starwars. I guess all game companies should do pro bono work and not get paid for their efforts. Now charging for dlc maps and skins is lame. Those should be considered free updates to people who already paid for the game.[/QUOTE]
Actually I don't mind paid DLC as long as it adds HOURS of gameplay to the single player portion of a game, as that's the portion I play the heck out of in most games. I'm not saying that companies should give all of their stuff away free, but there's a reason that mp communities dry up.

Only the most diehard players will keep playing and there will be newbies like me who will play for a day or two and get annoyed at being constantly beaten to a pulp. Some of us just play these games to fuck around, while others play for their 'stats' and for whatever bragging rights they think it gets them.
[quote name='exaznkid']$15 for one of the best shooters this gen is a pretty good deal, plus the level cap allows you to sample this game so if you like it, why not support the people who made it?[/QUOTE]
I don't usually play shooters. I tend to gravitate more towards sandbox games(GTA/Saint's Row/Just Cause 2), RPG's(Skyrim, Kingdoms Of Amalur) or platforming games/classic game collections(Rayman Origins, Sonic's Genesis Collection) as opposed to shooters unless I'm playing with friends, since then we can watch each others backs in mp.

But if I'm playing a shooter with a buncha random people, chances are that 9 times outta 10 I'm gonna be outmatched and outgunned by the vets and after a couple rounds of that sorta nonsense I'm going to leave and never touch that game's mp again probably.
[quote name='gettinmoney662']You could just practice? I don't understand people like you. You barely play the game yet expect to be just as good as everyone else?[/QUOTE]
The only game I've ever practiced in is GTA, since I like using the glitches and exploits to my advantage, so that when some fuckwad with a penchant for playing free mode like deathmatch comes into the game I can sit and wait under the map or inside a building, watch them waste half their ammo trying to hit me and then eradicate them with an RPG to the skull.

I'd probably do the same in shooting games, where I would play them unconventionally and end up having the vets whining/crying about how I'm 'not playing the game right', as if there's some hidden set of set in stone rules you HAVE to obey when playing a mp game.:roll:

I've had it happen in GTA before, where people actually whined about me using cars/bikes/choppers to give myself a tactical advantage that balanced out their mastery of the weapons.

The multiplayer was fun as hell but things got dull after a while once I maxed out the only class I cared about. There is really not much incentive once you max out a class and don't care for the rest. I wouldn't mind playing again for kicks...

Last time I played around November 2011 (before the game got traded) the community was still there but barely. During the weekdays it was hard to get more than 6 people in a match (3 vs 3). On the weekend it was better with bigger teams, but it wasn't crazy active like other games. Maybe MW3 had something to do with it (along with Battlefield 3).

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Interesting, I was planning of getting Killzone 3 for the single player campaign when it is cheaper. Meant to get KZ3 during the holiday season, just never got around to picking it up. Still have Killzone 2 in my backlog as well.[/QUOTE]

dude dont worry about the single player, i felt so bad for the helgast at the end of the game it really pee'd me off, i mean come on....

you were playing the "good guys" yet you destroy a whole planet including women and kidz, fuck that

so that ruined it all for me :(

Best of all, Killzone 3 Multiplayer is free to try – you can play any of the maps and modes until you reach the rank of Sergeant I. If you want to keep playing, attain higher ranks, and earn any of Killzone 3 Multiplayer’s four exclusive new trophies, you can unlock the full version for only $15 (UK/EU price TBA). Doing so will net you a 24-hour double XP bonus, 3 free unlock points, the ability to set up clans and custom games, and access to the Botzone mode to help hone your combat skills. - www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/blog/news/2012-02-24_kz3-multiplayer.html
Its not free to play with a level cap restriction. Once you hit the level cap, you can no longer play. But if you do decide to buy it for $15, it comes with all Killzone 3 DLC released so far.

[quote name='htz']Its not free to play with a level cap restriction. Once you hit the level cap, you can no longer play. But if you do decide to buy it for $15, it comes with all Killzone 3 DLC released so far.[/QUOTE]
fuck that noise then. I rarely play first person shooters and unless I was constantly playing with friends then I'd likely quit playing very quickly. So definitely NOT worth $15 for me to keep playing after the level cap.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The only game I've ever practiced in is GTA, since I like using the glitches and exploits to my advantage, so that when some fuckwad with a penchant for playing free mode like deathmatch comes into the game I can sit and wait under the map or inside a building, watch them waste half their ammo trying to hit me and then eradicate them with an RPG to the skull.

I'd probably do the same in shooting games, where I would play them unconventionally and end up having the vets whining/crying about how I'm 'not playing the game right', as if there's some hidden set of set in stone rules you HAVE to obey when playing a mp game.:roll:

I've had it happen in GTA before, where people actually whined about me using cars/bikes/choppers to give myself a tactical advantage that balanced out their mastery of the weapons.[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight....you will practice at a game to get good at "glitches and exploits" (also well known as being cheap) but you wont practice in order to get legitimately good at said game? :roll:

It's people like you who will slowly kill the MP scene of games over time.

Why do people have to use glitches and exploits in order to cheapen a game up and give them a unfair advantage just because they don't want to take the time to learn how to play the game as its meant to be played. There's no reason anyone should jump into a game and expect to roll around slaughtering people, it takes practice and patience.

On topic...Killzone 3's MP is pretty darn good and well worth 15 bucks. Yet as a previous poster stated, once you level up your favorite class (and it happens quickly) it gets boring fairly quickly. The knife kill sequences are some of the best i've seen in a MP game though. After a week or two of playing the game it starts to get stale pretty quick and I ended up going back to Battlefield and Call of Duty.

I think that releasing the MP of a long ago released, slowly dying game is a great idea for game designers though because it brings the game back into the spotlight for a little bit and kind of revives it for the diehard fans who wish there were more people playing their favorite game. Plus it gives the people on the fence about the game a chance to try it out.

My name is loc0bob and I approve this message.

[quote name='loc0bob']So let me get this straight....you will practice at a game to get good at "glitches and exploits" (also well known as being cheap) but you wont practice in order to get legitimately good at said game? :roll:

It's people like you who will slowly kill the MP scene of games over time.

Why do people have to use glitches and exploits in order to cheapen a game up and give them a unfair advantage just because they don't want to take the time to learn how to play the game as its meant to be played. There's no reason anyone should jump into a game and expect to roll around slaughtering people, it takes practice and patience.[/QUOTE]
I don't really use the glitches in GTA to 'cheat' perse, insomuch as just to get away from frickin' griefers who choose to make free mode into deathmatch but would likely pussy out and ragequit if they got trounced in TDM/DM.

I did just that a couple of nights, where I voted to change the mode to DM/TDM and some of those same shmucks who were trash talking me over their headsets in free mode got awful quiet when the shoe was on the other foot. They then proceeded to quit out before the game even ended.

I go into modes like free mode to explore, mess around with glitches(a few of my friends found some some floors in buildings you can't normally go into in the main game this way) and have what I consider fun.

Running from some moron in a chopper for 20 minutes who's shooting and killing me just for kicks ain't fun. Sure. I could make a private game, but most nights I join my friends who have created the game we're in and they(for some reason) choose to leave most slots open.:roll:

[quote name='Video-Gamer']I dont see it? Todays the 28, where is it?[/QUOTE]

Try waiting for the update, oh impatient one.

[quote name='Video-Gamer']I dont see it? Todays the 28, where is it?[/QUOTE]

Store updates a little later into the day, around 5:00 pm EST usually.

bread's done
Back