TRU - Get two free Skylander Packs ($49.98 Value) WYB any Skylander Starter Set

Wow! this would have been a good deal if only my local TRU will have enough stock of their 3 packs! They are always dried up by the weekend. Seems like a lot of hoarders are going at it when shipment arrives every week. thanks for post though OP.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Wow! this would have been a good deal if only my local TRU will have enough stock of their 3 packs! They are always dried up by the weekend. Seems like a lot of hoarders are going at it when shipment arrives every week. thanks for post though OP.[/QUOTE]

Again Skylanders aren't my thing but seeing how there have been so many deal threads started for them both on CAG and SD I like to look at the resale prices everyone and awhile and I commend TRU for limiting one per customer (or at least purchase) on their .com website.

Now if only they'd do that in store as well I'd imagine most of you would have better luck obtaining the ones you are looking for

[quote name='GBAstar']Again Skylanders aren't my thing but seeing how there have been so many deal threads started for them both on CAG and SD I like to look at the resale prices everyone and awhile and I commend TRU for limiting one per customer (or at least purchase) on their .com website.

Now if only they'd do that in store as well I'd imagine most of you would have better luck obtaining the ones you are looking for[/QUOTE]

My Toys R Us store has a limit of one per customer. It sucks for those of us who actually want to buy a couple of DIFFERENT characters at once.

It's nice that they offer this deal when they can't keep the damn things in stock already. It's like the LEGO deal last week where they had maybe 5 lego sets that weren't excluded.

i just got into this and have been somewhat lucky. i found chopchop and a few others instore. my store is all out of triple packs tho. looking for bash, stealth elf and drobot...

huh, just heard about this game a couple of days ago and finally looked into it because of this post. Looks pretty interesting. Is the starter pack (the one that comes with the game + portal + 3 figs ) worth it at 70$ with the two free packs? I saw on amazon a 3rd party is selling it for 50$ for the starter pack. 70$ seems like a lot for a game that you need to keep pumping money into heh :) Thinking about it for a 10 year old. Sorry don't mean to derail your topic

Last edited by a moderator:
@Beefyheart: Now, I'm not 100% sure, but I can post what I know firsthand.

TRU just had a sale recently where they were selling the starter packs at $39.99 which is the lowest price for starter packs that I've seen so far. (I personally price matched TRU at Best Buy and picked up the console version with the exclusive Volcanic Vault figure, nothing special about it though really)

TRU also overprices their individual figures by at least $1 depending on the store and their packs are overpriced by at least $5 over other retail outlets from what I've seen.

All that said, if you take advantage of the current sale and pick up a starter pack and get two adventure packs plus pay for shipping and taxes, you'll be paying approximately $84 for everything.

In contrast, I picked up a starter pack at $40 and found two adventure packs at $20 each, so I actually ended up paying around $88 after taxes...which is $4 more. ...not to mention all the gasoline I spent driving around...

TL;DR - So yea, pretty good deal for the set right now...definitely the best I've seen so far.

The base game/figures are pretty fun too and you can beat the game (I unlocked all the achievements on the 360 version) without needing to buy anything extra.

Hope that helps you out.

Got the 360 starter pack and a couple of the adventure packs ready for instore pick up. Thanks op! great deal
sad.jpg

Some basics for anyone who's just starting with Skylanders... there are 8 different character types. They're all shown and grouped on the back of the Starter Set. You need one of each type if you want to open every gate in the game. You can finish with just the 3 included characters, but if you want to open every gate/explore the whole game you'll need the other 5 types. The 3 included characters are Magic, Tech, and Water.

When choosing 3 packs, you might want to pay attention to the types and try to get the other 5 types between the 6 extra figures... if it's possible depending on what's in-stock at TRU.

This is not as great of a deal as it seams if you haven't been following the game. Skylanders has been on sale for 40-50 dollars off an on since around Christmas. Add up the fact that toys r us overcharges 5 bucks per 3 pack/adventurer pack, means that you are not saving 50 bucks. Also, best buy has had a mega pack with the starter and 2 20 dollar packs for between 80-100 dollars since black Friday.

This isn't a horrible value, but it's a pretty big up front cost for someone new to the game that may not end up liking it and pretty close to the price this volume of skylanders stuff has been since black Friday if you are a CAG who looks for sales.

I highly suggest you guys look into ebay first before buying this game B&M (Target had them on sale for $49.99 yesterday, btw). I picked up a NIB ps3 starter pack on ebay for $42 shipped last week and the 3DS version (new & complete but without figures) for $13 shipped yesterday.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']the 3DS version (new & complete but without figures) for $13 shipped yesterday.[/QUOTE]

BLOODY HELL! Way to score on that one!

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']and the 3DS version (new & complete but without figures) for $13 shipped yesterday.[/QUOTE]

And those three figures that are included in 3ds version go for $50-60 on ebay. Ridiculous.

[quote name='Kaiser499']Man I really want stealth elf.[/QUOTE]

I had a spare from the 3ds pack but I just sold it to BrotherDaz last week :(

How long until you start seeing bins full of these things rotting away in a K-Mart somewhere, going for $0.50 apiece?

My vote's this Christmas.

[quote name='hamberger']How long until you start seeing bins full of these things rotting away in a K-Mart somewhere, going for $0.50 apiece?

My vote's this Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Not with Giants coming out.

Stopped by TRU around 12:30 pm and they had about two adventure packs and that was it. Pretty much just a bare wall where all the individual packs should be.

Unless Activision really pumps out figures for the launch of Giants I just know people will clear shelves at launch and we'll go through the exact same thing as now. I still can't find a damn Cynder!

The only pack available online is Darklight Crypt. Nothing is available for in store pickup. The TRU I was in on Friday - picking up our Legendary - had 2 single pack characters, the same character. This seems like a really stupid idea for a sales promotion.

This is highly YMMV, but I was able to take back the 3DS starter pack and 2 3-packs I bought last week, and the cashier re-rang the items with this week's promo but let me keep the sale price I paid for the starter pack last week ... score

Hit up one store this afternoon and called another, all they have is starter packs and singles. One place told me to call in early Tuesday when they get a truck and hold them until I can get them after work. I almost broke down and got the Best Buy mega pack instead.

Don't know the names of the characters, and frankly don't know what the heck these things are, other than plastic figurines, but K-Mart in my town, (Zanesville, Ohio), has a bunch of them in stock as of yesterday afternoon.

They're seriously charging that much money for these things? What do they do?

[quote name='preston181']Don't know the names of the characters, and frankly don't know what the heck these things are, other than plastic figurines, but K-Mart in my town, (Zanesville, Ohio), has a bunch of them in stock as of yesterday afternoon.

They're seriously charging that much money for these things? What do they do?[/QUOTE]

So, there is this thing called Google.

Considering that Star Wars action figures are around $10 a piece these days and that Skylanders have a lot more play value (figures, console game, 3DS game, online game) it really is not that bad a price. I lucked into a Wal-Mart putting out a shipment of singles for $8 a piece. Picked up one of each along with a duplicate of Cynder for a friend.

bread's done
Back