Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#2971 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

anyone know if you can access user made content via a PS3? i sold the game, will rebuy if you can... though i doubt you can.

Pretty sure you can't.

For you guys new to Steam you might also want to try and keep track of which games are Steamworks and then follow the prices on those games at other stores. It can be a pain some times to figure out which games are or aren't Steam activatible but in general newer games from certain publishers like THQ, Bethesda, 2K, Sega etc. will generally be Steamworks while others like EA will never ever be and Ubisoft with only very rare exceptions.

Not sure if I'm just misunderstanding you, but Steamworks games aren't the same as games that will activate on Steam. If you're talking about the latter, Valve keeps an updated (AFAIK) list here:
https://support.stea...=7480-WUSF-3601

Edit: BTW, any retail game can be launched through Steam, if you just like having all your games in one list.

PSN = madcatz1999

#2972 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Portal 2 is well worth the price. I loved that game and I still need to do the co-op.

Edited by evildeadjedi, 10 May 2012 - 12:15 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2973 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

Also important to point out, there are going to be repeats. LOTS of repeats. I can guarantee with 99.9% certainty that Bioshock/Borderlands/Magicka/countless others will be the same prices that they were in the past few sales.

So true! But this can be a good thing for new Steam customers. Getting Bioshock, Borderlands, Magicka, Dungeon Defenders, Defense Grid, Trine, L4D1&2, PvZ, Shadowgrounds, Torchlight, and the Witcher for about $30 total would keep anyone busy for a year!:lol:

#2974 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

Not sure if I'm just misunderstanding you, but Steamworks games aren't the same as games that will activate on Steam. If you're talking about the latter, Valve keeps an updated (AFAIK) list here:
https://support.stea...=7480-WUSF-3601

I knew someone was going to nitpick on that.

All Steamworks games will activate on Steam but some games with Steam activation keys are not full blown Steamworks. However the latter tends to mostly be indie bundle games. For the purposes of looking out for sales on AAA games to add to Steam then yes you are generally going to be looking for Steamworks titles.

As for that list, it is absolutely not comprehensive, in my experience is not updated very well and should not be considered an end all be all.

You also have to be careful with it because it's very vague with its 'Game X keys in the format ABC-XYZ-123' wording. In some cases, like Mount and Blade for example, there are some stores selling Steam versions and some selling non Steam versions. Obviously you don't get to see what format the key is before you buy.

The best thing to do is to get that information from the store you buy it from, however the stores themselves are not always the best about posting it. Sometimes you just need to hunt around or ask.

Edit: BTW, any retail game can be launched through Steam, if you just like having all your games in one list.

It's not the same thing. You don't get the same features and integration, however if you just want to keep your games organized and in one place then yes that is an option.

steam_sig.png

#2975 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

So true! But this can be a good thing for new Steam customers. Getting Bioshock, Borderlands, Magicka, Dungeon Defenders, Defense Grid, Trine, L4D1&2, PvZ, Shadowgrounds, Torchlight, and the Witcher for about $30 total would keep anyone busy for a year!:lol:

I envy all these people who are new to Steam and get to experience the excitement of seeing so many great games for so cheap.

I guess I was directing that to the "veterans" of the Steam sales. I've seen it happen every sale. "Aw, Bioshock again? WAY TO DROP THE BALL STEAM" etc etc etc.

It's not the same thing. You don't get the same features and integration, however if you just want to keep your games organized and in one place then yes that is an option.

Getting the Steam overlay and being able to chat with friends is reason enough for me to add all my games to Steam.

#2976 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

I can't even figure out how to add stuff to the wishlist. Actually, I don't see a wishlist at all. Steam doesn't seem very user friendly to people that never used it before.

#2977 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

I can't even figure out how to add stuff to the wishlist. Actually, I don't see a wishlist at all. Steam doesn't seem very user friendly to people that never used it before.

You don't see it? The option to add a game to your wishlist is on the right side, just below the box that has the videos/screenshots and short description.

EDIT: And to access your wishlist, it's in the very top right of the store.

#2978 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

I'm guessing you're using the website and not logged in. Wishlist options won't appear otherwise. When logged in and/or using the Steam client, it's all rather straightforward. And as useful as others have suggested.

#2979 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

More Steam rules:

3. If it's your first major Steam sale, expect to spend a large amount.

4. If you see the Valve complete pack for $25 DON'T HESITATE, JUST BUY!

5. During a major Steam sale, everyday feels like "insert joyous occasion here"

6. Packs are awesome!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2980 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

While I realize that it's different publishers and all, I'm still rawring a bit that Wolfenstein (the Activision one) isn't on sale when everything else with the damn name is. >=| Possibly because I've been wanting that one for a while, and own the other Wolfenstein titles on sale. ><

Yeah Activision have been real pricks about that one. I snagged it when it when on sale earlier this year for $4.99. I was glad I waited too because it wasn't worth more than that.

#2981 Jokerkun890

Jokerkun890

Jokerness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions for PC-exclusives? With the summer sale coming soon I'm going try and grab some. I have a PS3 and 360 and only recently got a decent PC, so if it's available on console I probably plan to add it to my physical collection.

Some early ideas:
C&C TT
Titan Quest
Red Orchestra 2
Dungeons 1&2

Probably won't grab them all but will add suggestions to my wishlist. Thanks in advance. :)

Edit: My profile - http://steamcommunit.../id/Jokerkun890

Edited by Jokerkun890, 10 May 2012 - 01:02 AM.

jokerkun890.png

joker-kun890.png

#2982 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:47 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions for PC-exclusives? With the summer sale coming soon I'm going try and grab some. I have a PS3 and 360 and only recently got a decent PC, so if it's available on console I probably plan to add it to my physical collection.

Some early ideas:
C&C TT
Titan Quest
Red Orchestra 2
Dungeons 1&2

Probably won't grab them all but will add suggestions to my wishlist. Thanks in advance. :)

Killing Floor is a good one..so good i need to now play

#2983 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

Some early ideas:
C&C TT
Titan Quest
Red Orchestra 2
Dungeons 1&2

- Civilization IV & V
- Torchlight 2
- Shogun 2
- Serious Sam series
- Nation Red
- Garry's Mod
- Fallout Collection
- Deus Ex series

MARS

#2984 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

Looking through my steam list I cosign:

Killing Floor
Nation Red

and I add:

Amnesia
The Ball
Company of Heroes
Day of Defeat
Defense Grid
Jamestown
Penumbra Series
Stalker Series
Sherlock Holmes Series

Just a big mix of stuff, so depending on what you like you might find something good here.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#2985 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:04 AM

More Steam rules:
4. If you see the Valve complete pack for $25 DON'T HESITATE, JUST BUY!

This right here, I remember when that happened and a few people here got in on it. What a deal! But this goes with anything in the sales: If it just updated and the price it too good to be true, jump on it quick. Also the updates take a little while to be complete, so just be patient.

fs_overall.png

#2986 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:04 AM

In addition to previous mentioned ones.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Commandos Series
Crysis
Freedom Force
King's Bounty
Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum
Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines
The Witcher
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2987 Jokerkun890

Jokerkun890

Jokerness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

Killing Floor is a good one..so good i need to now play

Managed to grab this from Be Mine 2. I agree, it's pretty good!

- Civilization IV & V
- Torchlight 2
- Shogun 2
- Serious Sam series
- Nation Red
- Garry's Mod
- Fallout Collection
- Deus Ex series

I have the Fallout Collection on-disc, as well as Deus Ex on GG. I should probably finally grab Garry's Mod though and Torchlight 2 after working through some of my console/PC backlog. I guess I should have grabbed Nation Red on-sale a few days ago. I have Civ 4 complete on-disc, but will keep an eye out for a Civ 5 sale.

Looking through my steam list I cosign:

Killing Floor
Nation Red

and I add:

Amnesia
The Ball
Company of Heroes
Day of Defeat
Defense Grid
Jamestown
Penumbra Series
Stalker Series
Sherlock Holmes Series

Just a big mix of stuff, so depending on what you like you might find something good here.

I already own The Ball, Jamestown, and Penumbra series. I have Amnesia and Defense Grid on my wishlist already, but will add most of your other suggestions. Especially Stalker

Thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone. ;)

Edited by Jokerkun890, 10 May 2012 - 01:21 AM.

jokerkun890.png

joker-kun890.png

#2988 thegreatest

thegreatest

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:11 AM

Some early ideas:
C&C TT
Titan Quest
Red Orchestra 2
Dungeons 1&2

Edit: My profile - http://steamcommunit.../id/Jokerkun890

Red Orchestra 2 is an absolute must. The game is fantastic.

I can't wait for the mods to come out. Especially Rising Storm.

#2989 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

On top of the other great PC-exclusive titles mentioned here, I would add that the Half-Life series and the Left 4 Dead games are really much better games on the PC.

Also, Portal 1.

#2990 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:33 AM

Magicka is fun and often heavily discounted.

Recettear is a neat indie jrpg.

And I would second a lot of the suggestions made above.

#2991 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:35 AM

I guess I was directing that to the "veterans" of the Steam sales. I've seen it happen every sale. "Aw, Bioshock again? WAY TO DROP THE BALL STEAM" etc etc etc.

Another excellent point. To the long list we're compiling here of what to expect in the Steam seasonal sales, I would therefore add

Expect many part-time CAGs to come into this thread and whine about:

• the timing of the sales,
  • the games chosen for sale each day,
  • the prices in the sale,
  • the difficulty and entertainment value of any meta-game contests,
  • the fact that some games in the daily sales raise their prices before the day is over (example: (Valve Complete Pack for $25, and Terraria for $5),
  • that when you try to check out at 9:58 AM PST, you may not get the price you thought you'd get, and
  • the existence of "recap days" where the best games go on sale again, much to the annoyance of people who follow the sales each day.
Did I miss anything? :D

#2992 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:41 AM

Another excellent point. To the long list we're compiling here of what to expect in the Steam seasonal sales, I would therefore add

Expect many part-time CAGs to come into this thread and whine about:

• the timing of the sales,
  • the games chosen for sale each day,
  • the prices in the sale,
  • the difficulty and entertainment value of any meta-game contests,
  • the fact that some games in the daily sales raise their prices before the day is over (example: (Valve Complete Pack for $25, and Terraria for $5),
  • that when you try to check out at 9:58 AM PST, you may not get the price you thought you'd get, and
  • the existence of "recap days" where the best games go on sale again, much to the annoyance of people who follow the sales each day.
Did I miss anything? :D

Probably some X, Y, or Z service/site/sale was so much better on A, B, C date and this is why Steam is dying and will disappear tomorrow. So basically, your usual share of anti-Steamery disguised as sale criticism.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#2993 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

Bit on the Wolf Pack and played the first floor of Wolfenstien 3D. Urk. Why do these old games make me motion-sick?

#2994 SevereTireDamage

SevereTireDamage

Broken-$$$$ed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

My theories are a)no vsync so you get the weird screen tearing and b) they didn't really think about "natural" FOVs for a while, the wrong FOV and you get nauseous

#2995 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:30 AM

Probably some X, Y, or Z service/site/sale was so much better on A, B, C date and this is why Steam is dying and will disappear tomorrow. So basically, your usual share of anti-Steamery disguised as sale criticism.

"You mean they won't send me a physical copy? What happens if the whole fucking internet collapses tomorrow, how am I going to play Dragon Age?"
"You can back it up."
"How do you do that?"
"Right click on the game and hit back-up game files."
"Where?"
"In the Games tab, on a game."
"What?"
"Just right click on the game and back-up the game files."
"Huh? Can I spread it across multiple discs?"
"Yeah, it's an option. Right there. When you hit back-up."
"What? Where?"
"I hate you."

Except it will cross three pages.

#2996 LazyTriangle

LazyTriangle

flashbang dance

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:35 AM

the new "Perpetual Testing Initiative"(Level editor) in Portal 2 is freaking awesome, I'm having fun just building test chambers with tons of aerial faith plates all over the place. Tested out some community made levels as well, for the most part they're hit and miss the majority are pretty simple to solve but once everyone gets the hang of the level editor, we will be for some sweet looking levels (I hope)

k3t3QR6.jpg?1

#2997 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

Haven't tried creating in Portal 2 yet, but I've made it through 13 user levels so far. All great -- I've just stuck to ones that I know are supposed to be good, but even then, they've been exceeding my expectations. Most of the good ones right now are going to be ones that people have created in Hammer (the old creation tools) -- the new tools just let you import those from what I've heard, which is nice for us players.

PSN = madcatz1999

#2998 igame

igame

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

If on sale do it now

Short list of indies to look at and have personally played all of them
Any adventure game by Telltale
Cave Story+
Noitu Love 1 & 2
Recettear
Fortune Summoners
Magicka
Super Meat Boy
Bastion
Amnesia
Eufloria
Trine 1 & 2
Braid
Lone Survivor
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
And Yet it Moves
Fate of the World
Audiosurf
Jamestown
Dungeons of Dredmor
Really Big Sky
Plants vs Zombies
World of Goo

Obvious have not played some big titles as they are not listed
So I'll list 5 free big indie games as well
Cave Story
Knytt Stories
Iji
Runman
Spelunky

+ Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden do it now
igame

#2999 chicagocubsfan

chicagocubsfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

Gamestop might start selling Steam vouchers.
http://kotaku.com/59...-steam-vouchers

Playing:
:3ds: Pokemon X  :whee: 
:psp:- Killzone Mercenary
:wii:-Wind Waker HD  8-)
:ps3:- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, rain   ;)
PSN is chicagocubsfan

#3000 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

Gamestop might start selling Steam vouchers.
http://kotaku.com/59...-steam-vouchers

Sounds like a fantastic way to get rid of Gamestop gift cards.