Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#3001 TreadLife

TreadLife

End of line.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:07 AM

Thanks CheapLikeAFox and Mooby for your excellent replies. As much as I'd like to jump on today's deal, I think I will hold out for summer and the possibility of another Quake con pack.

Posted Image

#3002 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:13 AM

Gamestop might start selling Steam vouchers.
http://kotaku.com/59...-steam-vouchers

Fan fucking tastic. Something when GS has one of those trade x and get x bonus days, it will be nice to be able to just convert it into Steam credit. God knows how much I spend on Steam :lol:.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#3003 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Do other places sell Steam vouchers? I've never seen them before. I've seen other places sell steam game codes, but I've never actually seen steam cash cards before. Do they exist in other places?

#3004 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

I would totally ask for that for Christmas and birthdays and what not. Steam really needs gift cards. I don't trust people to pick out games for me, plus some of my relatives are not so internet savvy but they can at least take their butts into Gamestop and buy a card.

Impulse is just meh though. No one wants to install another client for some service they don't want. They should just become like Amazon and sell direct downloads or Steam codes.

Do other places sell Steam vouchers? I've never seen them before. I've seen other places sell steam game codes, but I've never actually seen steam cash cards before. Do they exist in other places?

As far as I am aware, no. It is a feature that has been asked for many, many times but Valve oddly somehow has kept ignoring.

steam_sig.png

#3005 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

+ Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden do it now

This (ok well his other recommendations too, but really this is more of an experience), and it's also Canon in case you were worried about that :lol:.

No, this is actually the first time Steam cash cards have been seen out in the wild anywhere. Although it's desperately needed. I mean sure we all use our CC's and Paypal and stuff, but hey imagine just asking for a Steam card for X holiday, because something is always on sale.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#3006 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

Wonder if we'll ever see deals on these like you see deals on PSN and Xbox Live cards occasionally. Being able to double dip on discounts (cards + steam sales)? Yes, please.

Then again, a lot of gift cards in general go unused, so they probably make a lot of the money back to offset the price they're selling these to Gamestop for. Also, if they do go unused, that's 100% profit for Steam, versus the 15% or whatever (pure guess, btw) that they get when you spend money to buy a game on Steam.

#3007 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

Wonder if we'll ever see deals on these like you see deals on PSN and Xbox Live cards occasionally. Being able to double dip on discounts (cards + steam sales)? Yes, please.

Then again, a lot of gift cards in general go unused, so they probably make a lot of the money back to offset the price they're selling these to Gamestop for. Also, if they do go unused, that's 100% profit for Steam, versus the 15% or whatever (pure guess, btw) that they get when you spend money to buy a game on Steam.

I'll bet they get the same or close to the 30% that Apple charges for iOS and itunes stuff. That seems fairly standard for digital lately. I think it's the Amazon model as well.

#3008 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Fuck yea!! Got a boatload of GS credit. Summer sale here I come.

#3009 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hey, CAG's. I am a bit confused by what's offered by the $14.99 Alan Wake deal on Steam. I'm comparing it to the current GOG deal, which is, more or less, the same price.

Does the $14.99 price on Steam include the Commentary Videos and PDF?

#3010 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hey, CAG's. I am a bit confused by what's offered by the $14.99 Alan Wake deal on Steam. I'm comparing it to the current GOG deal, which is, more or less, the same price.

Does the $14.99 price on Steam include the Commentary Videos and PDF?

Nope. 17.50 deluxe edition does but it also comes with the soundtrack the gog version does not

#3011 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Nope. 17.50 deluxe edition does but it also comes with the soundtrack the gog version does not

Thanks for the info. I have a follow-up question, though - Does the GOG version have the videos and PDF at the $14.99 price? I can do without the soundtrack if the other two items (Commentary and PDF) are included.

#3012 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

Sounds like a fantastic way to get rid of Gamestop gift cards.

Oh man, i hadn't even thought about that. And I'm sitting on like $30 of GS Gift cards. Woo!

#3013 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the info. I have a follow-up question, though - Does the GOG version have the videos and PDF at the $14.99 price? I can do without the soundtrack if the other two items (Commentary and PDF) are included.

Comes with 7 Writer in the Cabin Videos, 9 Night Springs Videos, and Alan Wake Files Book. (I'm assuming that's the PDF)

Also, I'd LOVE to see the Steam sales this week of Alan Wake on Steam vs. GOG to see which sold more.

Posted Image

#3014 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I believe they actually sold them somewhere in Eastern Europe, or at least talked about it, a year or two ago. It was probably to curb piracy by young people who didn't have credit/debit cards. That's the same part of the world that gets DVDs really early and cheap to keep people from buying bootleg copies.

I think it's great. I get GameStop credit sometimes from promotions and things and I usually just end up buying something for a terrible price on my 360. Turning it into Steam credit sounds perfect.

#3015 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Comes with 7 Writer in the Cabin Videos, 9 Night Springs Videos, and Alan Wake Files Book. (I'm assuming that's the PDF)

Also, I'd LOVE to see the Steam sales this week of Alan Wake on Steam vs. GOG to see which sold more.

I didn't want to be presumptuous, HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ; For all I know, the videos could be different or even separate files instead of in-game content like the Steam page suggests. I want to double-check that it's the exact same offering.

Upon further inspection of the PDF, though, the "Alan Wake Files" ("Illustrated PDF Book") appears to be the same for both. (However, the Steam version requires the extra $2.50 or so.)

I, too, would like to see which sells more. I'd imagine the Steam sale would have better exposure, but, in all honesty, I think the GOG deal sounds better. (The GOG deal is the cheaper overall package, but it doesn't have Steam Achievements. However, the GOG deal is DRM free.)

#3016 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

I didn't want to be presumptuous, HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ; For all I know, the videos could be different or even separate files instead of in-game content like the Steam page suggests. I want to double-check that it's the exact same offering.

Upon further inspection of the PDF, though, the "Alan Wake Files" ("Illustrated PDF Book") appears to be the same for both. (However, the Steam version requires the extra $2.50 or so.)

I, too, would like to see which sells more. I'd imagine the Steam sale would have better exposure, but, in all honesty, I think the GOG deal sounds better. (The GOG deal is the cheaper overall package, but it doesn't have Steam Achievements. However, the GOG deal is DRM free.)

I'm part of the ill pay more to have it on steam group.

#3017 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

A note just popped up in my steam client from Rockstar games. When I clicked on it, I saw this:

Join the Official Rockstar Community on Steam and Receive a Free Copy of Midnight Club 2
posted by Rockstar Games @ 11:21AM on May 10, 2012
Join the Official Rockstar Games Community on Steam at http://steamcommunit...s/rockstargames by 10 am Pacific Time on Tuesday, May 15, 2012, and receive one non-giftable copy of Midnight Club 2 in your Steam account.

Eligibility: User must have a Steam account with at least one successful purchase in the account. The offer is not available to users who already own Midnight Club 2.

http://steamcommunit...s/rockstargames

Free game. Can't beat that. :)

#3018 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

A note just popped up in my steam client from Rockstar games. When I clicked on it, I saw this:

Sweet, Midnight Club 2 is a great game! Nice of them to give it away for free.

#3019 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Sweet! In for one. I enjoyed the Midnight Club series on the PS2.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#3020 poxi

poxi

something went wrong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Notice: This game does not support Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

We're giving you a free game! Just downgrade your system to play it!

So generous.

#3021 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the heads up - I joined the group in the hopes of grabbing that free game, as well.

I've always wanted to play Midnight Club 3, admittedly. Perhaps I should look around for a PS2 version.

#3022 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I made a post about it in the free stuff forum and gave you credit. Free stuff for all!

#3023 vherub

vherub

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

the steam forums do have advice on how to run it on later windows, but it's an odd game to give away, would have thought max payne would make more sense

#3024 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

So generous.

It works on vista/windows 7, it's just not officially supported.

#3025 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

the steam forums do have advice on how to run it on later windows, but it's an odd game to give away, would have thought max payne would make more sense

Well they are obviously giving away something that isn't selling/ worth much. With Max Payne 3 coming out, I think 1 and 2 are having no problem selling. But still, the Midnight Club games were fun racing games.

Wonder how this works? Will this just show up in our inventory after the 15th?

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#3026 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

So generous.

I'll see if I get lucky and get the game working on a Windows 7 setup. If I'm unsuccessful and find a work-around, I'll put it into my Problems and Solutions thread.

I just have to wait for the game to show up in my Inventory. In the meantime, I'll read the comments in the Group's news section.

"how i get the game ?," asks one user. "didnt get it :(," comments another. "didnt get it! D=" cries an unsatisfied new member of the Rockstar Group.

#3027 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Some early ideas:
C&C TT
Titan Quest
Red Orchestra 2
Dungeons 1&2

is dungeons any good? i remember being excited when i first found out it existed, since i loved Dungeon Keeper back in the day, but reviews turned me off. Are the reviews wrong? Did 2 improve on 1?

#3028 Zipomatic2

Zipomatic2

Really, Really Cheap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up, joined!
Posted Image

If it's not 75% off, or less that $10, I ain't buying it!

#3029 kidrocklive

kidrocklive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the heads up

#3030 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

I would totally ask for that for Christmas and birthdays and what not. Steam really needs gift cards. I don't trust people to pick out games for me, plus some of my relatives are not so internet savvy but they can at least take their butts into Gamestop and buy a card.

Totally! My issue is that I get angry when people pay full price to give me games that they know I'll like.

"You paid WHAT for Portal 2? Don't you know it's half price this weekend online?"

Side effect of being a CAG. :roll:

Gift cards would let me maximize my steam purchases.