Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#3541 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:06 AM

Guys (and gals), get ready for some huge discounts on Kingdom of Amalur for the Summer Sale, if not sooner:

38 Studios was unable to make payroll this week, but is in the process of making the $1.125 million payment that set off the company's crisis earlier this week. WPRI reports that a spokesperson for the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation (RIEDC) did confirm that former Red Sox player Curt Schilling's video game company was unable to pay its employees.

Update: The hand-delivered check for the overdue $1.125 million payment has been returned by the EDC to 38 Studios after the company's chief financial officer said there were insufficient funds to cover it.

Update 2: Statement from the Office of Governor Lincoln D. Chafee: "A check from 38 Studios was hand-delivered to the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation at approximately 5 o'clock this evening. However, upon learning from the Chief Financial Officer of 38 Studios that there were insufficient funds to cover the payment, the check was returned. The EDC remains willing to accept readily available funds."

Update 3: Curt Schilling has been removed from the "visionaries" page of the 38 Studios website. Text still recognizes him above, picture and bio removed. CEO Jennifer MacLean, who is reported to be on "maternity leave," has also been removed from the site.

http://www.joystiq.c...t-make-payroll/

Also if you own it already... don't expect anymore patches... Hopefully the employees will land on their feet.

#3542 sylveranking

sylveranking

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:19 AM

hmm, that sucks. Bought the game but it is still sealed and hoping to offload it for 40 on CL,lol. Poor employees though =/.

#3543 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

hmm, that sucks. Bought the game but it is still sealed and hoping to offload it for 40 on CL,lol. Poor employees though =/.

That really sucks...it's such an amazing game. That's why it's sad to see them go. :( I thought it would sell more.

#3544 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

I recommend everyone get a container about 1/2 gallon milk jug and start using it as a change jar. Today's coinstar haul was $170 of Amazon credit :D.

May Mayhem sale, bring it on Amazon, I am ready :lol:. Defiantly getting Alan Wake now.

The last several years I've been doing that. Every week, before I do laundry, I toss all the change from my pockets into a bowl on my dresser. It's typically just a few coins here and there, but after several months, it can add up to a surprising amount. I just wish Coinstar still did the $10 bonus like they used to. I can't remember the last time they did that.

And enjoy Alan Wake! Been playing that myself recently and it has to be one of my new favorites.

#3545 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:44 AM

NO! 38 Studios' death is MY FAULT!

I bought from Europe for the cheaper launch price!

I waited for a sale on their DLC!

I STILL HAVENT BOUGHT THE SECOND DLC!

WHY DO I ALWAYS KILL THE ONES I LOVE
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#3546 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

Guys (and gals), get ready for some huge discounts on Kingdom of Amalur for the Summer Sale, if not sooner:

Also if you own it already... don't expect anymore patches... Hopefully the employees will land on their feet.

That sucks but I can't say it's surprising. They did try and release a new franchise open world RPG alongside a half dozen similar games. The game looked interesting to me but I was a bit burnt out by the genre at the time.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#3547 Lint21

Lint21

Probably Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:28 AM

This looks quite interesting. Lots of Steam games.

http://www.becausewemay.com/index.html

#3548 lupe guillotine

lupe guillotine

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

Nothing interesting. most of the stuff that are on the list already been in bundle one way or another.

IMO, they almost sound like a illegal key seller site. No concrete proof, it just a weird itch in the back of my hump

#3549 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

Sucks, I think the sequel could have been great. The first game is a very good starting point but could use some improvements. At least it's still very playable without a patch although it would benefit from one. I had read that EA refused to fund the testing for the patch and they were looking for another source of funding for it. I'll buy both DLC if they're at least 50% off.

There's an update 4 now.

Update 4: Schilling is back on "visionaries" page. As for other listed executives: now you see them, now you don't.

#3550 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

I'll keep my ear to the streets for the non-bundle games: Vessel and The Wonderful End of the World.

MARS

#3551 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

That sucks but I can't say it's surprising. They did try and release a new franchise open world RPG alongside a half dozen similar games. The game looked interesting to me but I was a bit burnt out by the genre at the time.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Amalur was the downfall of the company. I'm guessing it's all the money they were pouring into trying to get an MMO out by the end of the year. If I'm not mistaken, the first game wasn't funded by the loan at all.

#3552 JanusDS

JanusDS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

Don't see it posted yet; but Ubisoft weekend sale has started - from what I read, all Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon games are 75% off and all other Ubisoft titles are 33% off. The Ghost Recon sales only last through Fri, May 19, 1pm est, then I'm guessing they go to the 33% off since the rest of the Ubisoft sales last through the weekend.

Just spent $37.61 on nothing but Tom Clancy titles - they have a package with all the Ghost Recon games for $7.49, then got Splinter Cell: Conviction Deluxe for $13.39, dlc for Conviction for $6.69 and Splinter Cell: Double Agent for $6.69.

#3553 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:13 AM

Don't see it posted yet; but Ubisoft weekend sale has started - from what I read, all Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon games are 75% off and all other Ubisoft titles are 33% off. The Ghost Recon sales only last through Fri, May 19, 1pm est, then I'm guessing they go to the 33% off since the rest of the Ubisoft sales last through the weekend.

Just spent $37.61 on nothing but Tom Clancy titles - they have a package with all the Ghost Recon games for $7.49, then got Splinter Cell: Conviction Deluxe for $13.39, dlc for Conviction for $6.69 and Splinter Cell: Double Agent for $6.69.

Why would you not wait? I'm willing to bet they'll have a splinter cell day where they're all 5-75% off...

#3554 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:17 AM

Why would you not wait? I'm willing to bet they'll have a splinter cell day where they're all 5-75% off...

This is what Steam does. They'll be offering weekly publisher deals like this until the end of June to get more buyers at slightly higher prices before lowering everything during the summer sale. He's a n00b, but he's learning. ;)

#3555 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

Nothing interesting. most of the stuff that are on the list already been in bundle one way or another.

IMO, they almost sound like a illegal key seller site. No concrete proof, it just a weird itch in the back of my hump

It looks to me more like a synchronized sale. The wording on that site makes it sound like the site is only promoting the upcoming sale, and that prices will be adjusted by the developers themselves during that time period because they're capable of calling sales on a whim with those services (whereas PSN/XBLA doesn't give that kind of price freedom).

#3556 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

Yeah, it doesn't seem like you have to buy the games through the website, it's just a central location to advertise the promotion. That is, all of those games will be on sale via Steam during that week.

#3557 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

It seems to honestly be directly calling out PSN and XBLA, because honestly, App Store and even Steam are not exactly the bastions of the spirit of the site. Funny to see Avadon in there when Spiderweb's self pricing is what kept them from Steam for so long in the first place.

#3558 lupe guillotine

lupe guillotine

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:26 AM

Oh okay, so that site is just another site to show off the current sales for those games. Meh, I just follow this thread instead.

#3559 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

And for those worried about scamming it appears the site is run by the Osmos guy.

#3560 MHC

MHC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:31 AM

It looks to me more like a synchronized sale. The wording on that site makes it sound like the site is only promoting the upcoming sale, and that prices will be adjusted by the developers themselves during that time period because they're capable of calling sales on a whim with those services (whereas PSN/XBLA doesn't give that kind of price freedom).

Yeah. They're not selling keys at all on that site, they specifically mention they'll be running sales at those stores because they allow the developer to set/change the price, and they're doing this to encourage/promote that.

I might be in for Stacking, QUBE, and Vessel depending on the prices. Might just do Stacking though, others will likely hit an indie bundle.

NO! 38 Studios' death is MY FAULT!

I bought from Europe for the cheaper launch price!

I waited for a sale on their DLC!

I STILL HAVENT BOUGHT THE SECOND DLC!

WHY DO I ALWAYS KILL THE ONES I LOVE

There there, there there. I killed Troika by buying all their games too.

#3561 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:32 AM

It seems to honestly be directly calling out PSN and XBLA, because honestly, App Store and even Steam are not exactly the bastions of the spirit of the site. Funny to see Avadon in there when Spiderweb's self pricing is what kept them from Steam for so long in the first place.

Unsurprising since XBLA and PSN are notoriously horrendous to deal with from an indie developer perspective. More and more are turning away and going strictly PC. Dungeon Defenders was delayed nearly a year for PC because of issues with Microsoft certification. In the end the PC/Steam sales were greater by ten times or something crazy and the developers basically abandoned XBLA support (of course I'm sure the fact that there are limits/fees involved didn't help matters, either). Took awhile for Double Fine to come around but they finally saw the light, too.

#3562 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

Not sure what you mean about Steam. From what I've heard, Steam is very responsive to price change requests from developers.

There's obviously something I don't know about the Avadon situation, but I only see good things (and lots of it) the developer's blog about Steam. Not trying to being contentious, btw, just curious.

#3563 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

Not sure what you mean about Steam. From what I've heard, Steam is very responsive to price change requests from developers.

There's obviously something I don't know about the Avadon situation, but I only see good things (and lots of it) the developer's blog about Steam. Not trying to being contentious, btw, just curious.

The spirit of the site isn't price changes but flat out control over prices. Spiderweb submitted their games for a while, and they were constantly rejected. He has rather high prices for his games (still does on his site). He finally gets his first game (and others) when he massively lowers his prices. So Steam is controlling the way he prices his games if he wants to sell them on Steam. There have been general rumblings about Steam's acceptance of a lot of smaller titles being tied to the fact that the developers price themselves too high.

#3564 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

Ah, I got you. I thought you was meaning that he wasn't wanting to sell his games on steam, not the other way around.

#3565 MHC

MHC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

http://jeff-vogel.bl...t-on-steam.html

From the developer of Avadon's blog regarding the release on Steam. The most relevant part for this discussion is:

I've written a lot about how I think it's important to not price niche games too cheaply, and I stand by that. However, at the same time, Avadon will be only ten bucks on Steam, the cheapest we've ever made our newest game for PC/Mac. Why?

1. Steam felt it was the best price. I went into this trusting their judgment, because they know a lot more about selling Indie games than I do. When you're an Indie and Steam comes knocking, you don't say no.

2. The whole game industry is shifting. These days, a huge proportion of games online are sold for a low price without demos. People buy games on impulse, sight unseen. That way, if they don't like it they aren't out a lot of money.

So Valve/Steam didn't force the $10 price, the recommended it and he went with it. Since he's been getting the rest of his catalog on Steam at similar pricing it seems like it must've worked out well for him.

#3566 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

http://jeff-vogel.bl...t-on-steam.html

From the developer of Avadon's blog regarding the release on Steam. The most relevant part for this discussion is:

So Valve/Steam didn't force the $10 price, the recommended it and he went with it. Since he's been getting the rest of his catalog on Steam at similar pricing it seems like it must've worked out well for him.

How is giving into the demands of the giant retailer in order to sell your game not the very definition of what I was arguing? Just because he is happy with the deal doesn't mean there aren't a dozen other Steam titles rejected because they priced themselves out of what Steam deems appropriate (including Spiderweb's older games). Do you honestly think Steam would accept his other games, which have been priced around 30 dollars at all? There's a reason why a TON of indie game developers have different prices for their games on their own sites versus what they sell them for on Steam.

#3567 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:33 AM

How is giving into the demands of the giant retailer in order to sell your game not the very definition of what I was arguing? Just because he is happy with the deal doesn't mean there aren't a dozen other Steam titles rejected because they priced themselves out of what Steam deems appropriate (including Spiderweb's older games). Do you honestly think Steam would accept his other games, which have been priced around 30 dollars at all?

If this were true how on earth would they accept rail works over avadon?
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#3568 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

So if the company that made KoA goes out of business isn't that going to make the game harder to find/buy? Or is the hope they cut the price in order to boost revenue short term?

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#3569 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

So if the company that made KoA goes out of business isn't that going to make the game harder to find/buy? Or is the hope they cut the price in order to boost revenue short term?

Well, EA published it, right? So I think it will continue to be distributed by EA. I don't think the state of the dev team has anything to do with being able to find it so long as a different company is publishing/distributing.

#3570 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

If this were true how on earth would they accept rail works over avadon?

Having 2000 dollars of DLC probably helps.