Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#3571 MHC

MHC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

How is giving into the demands of the giant retailer in order to sell your game not the very definition of what I was arguing? Just because he is happy with the deal doesn't mean there aren't a dozen other Steam titles rejected because they priced themselves out of what Steam deems appropriate (including Spiderweb's older games). Do you honestly think Steam would accept his other games, which have been priced around 30 dollars at all? There's a reason why a TON of indie game developers have different prices for their games on their own sites versus what they sell them for on Steam.

Thing is, he doesn't word it in a way that makes me think it was a demand on Valve's part. Plus not all indie games are sold at ridiculously cheap prices. Take the recent Gratuitous Tank Battles.
http://store.steampo...com/app/205530/
$20 list price for a 2D somewhat tower defense somewhat strategy game. Or hell, Evochron Mercenary.
http://store.steampo....com/app/71000/
$25 for a respectable looking 3D space sim. Or again hell, Endless Space.
http://store.steampo...com/app/208140/
Pretty space indie strategy game, $30 list price. The appearance to me is more that Valve will suggest a price they believe would be good for the game (Based on their sales data) but it's up to the developer to set the price. Jeff Vogel even mentions leaving his games full (Pre-Steam) price at his own store as an experiment.

Why is the game still $20 on our web site?

Short answer: Charging this little is an experiment. I believe that Indie devs who write niche products need to charge more for their work than the more mass market, casual, $0.99 app market. The question is whether a $10 price works. If going onto Steam for ten bucks turns out to not be a good idea (or if they don't want any more of our games), we need to maintain a higher baseline price on our site.

I know this seems odd, but I assure you that it makes sense from where I sit. And, by the way, we are FAR from the only developer who does this. For example, World of Goo is $20 on their site but $10 on Steam. And they are far smarter than we are.

The theory being they charge less on Steam due to visibility and gigantic market, and more on their personal stores for fans especially devoted/invested in the game and being willing to pay more to support it. Not someone who thinks it looks sorta cool and picks it up on a whim.

#3572 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:05 AM

So if the company that made KoA goes out of business isn't that going to make the game harder to find/buy? Or is the hope they cut the price in order to boost revenue short term?

Well, it's digital! There are infinite copies as far a PC download is concerned. And yeah my hope is that they'll start to have huge sales in order to generate revenue... if not them, then their receiver in bankruptcy, or the state of Rhode Island or whoever. Fortunately the Steam version is 'self-published' by 38 studios so I don't think EA has control over the pricing there.

#3573 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

If Kingdoms of Amalur is self-published by 38 Studios on Steam, then that isn't "fortunate". It means de-listing, unless someone buys the rights.

#3574 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

If Kingdoms of Amalur is self-published by 38 Studios on Steam, then that isn't "fortunate". It means de-listing, unless someone buys the rights.

If they default on their loan, the rights to the series will most likely be auctioned so that the taxpayers don't have to bear the brunt of paying back the loan. At least, that's my understanding.

#3575 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

Exactly. It's still an asset and someone would ultimately get rights to the IP. But again, that's only after they default. In the interim -- assuming they just don't flat out file for bankruptcy (which is looking quite possible) -- they'll do everything they can to generate money TODAY.

Although I suppose, worst case scenario is EA buys the Steam version rights and potentially removes it. However if 38 closes down it wouldn't make sense to take it off of Steam because it won't be getting future support and the only way you'd move units is to sell it at every possible outlet for substantial discounts.

#3576 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

I may be wrong, but I don't think Amalur was the downfall of the company. I'm guessing it's all the money they were pouring into trying to get an MMO out by the end of the year. If I'm not mistaken, the first game wasn't funded by the loan at all.

I don't get why developers are still getting caught up in the "I wanna MMO" fever from a few years ago. MMO's are by and large money pits that just take and take, never giving anything close to what they take. WoW is the exception. TOR is the rule.

We need more single player games. All these MMO's won't even be games that exist in a way that can be played in a few years. Imagine the gaming industry started with MMO's. Very few of those games would even be playable now.

More single player please. They'll make more money in the long run, especially if they push out compelling DLC.

#3577 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

The spirit of the site isn't price changes but flat out control over prices. Spiderweb submitted their games for a while, and they were constantly rejected. He has rather high prices for his games (still does on his site). He finally gets his first game (and others) when he massively lowers his prices. So Steam is controlling the way he prices his games if he wants to sell them on Steam. There have been general rumblings about Steam's acceptance of a lot of smaller titles being tied to the fact that the developers price themselves too high.

Well the same thing happened when he started putting his games on the Apple Store too. It's not just Steam and quite frankly I think the problem is more him than Valve or Apple because he is charging more for his games then the current (mass) market is generally willing to pay. That's fine and dandy if he wants to stay niche but if he wants to move mass numbers then the price needed to come down and in this case I think they were just being realistic.

Obviously, he agreed however I think leaving the prices high when buying direct from him is a bit shady and unnecessarily milking his long time supporters when he has a lot more revenue coming in from other sources now.

*Edited to add: I would have to go back and re-read Jeff's blogs to be sure, but I remember getting the impression from the way he worded it that Valve strongly suggested the lower pricing if he wants to sell but didn't out and out require it or else. I know they've let some other indie and pseudo-indie games come in at way more than they should have (like Achron) and they didn't sell well either because of it.

steam_sig.png

#3578 Bios Element

Bios Element

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

I don't get why developers are still getting caught up in the "I wanna MMO" fever from a few years ago. MMO's are by and large money pits that just take and take, never giving anything close to what they take. WoW is the exception. TOR is the rule.

We need more single player games. All these MMO's won't even be games that exist in a way that can be played in a few years. Imagine the gaming industry started with MMO's. Very few of those games would even be playable now.

More single player please. They'll make more money in the long run, especially if they push out compelling DLC.

That may be partially true, but most MMO players will tell you that the most amazing times they've ever had came from multiplayer. <--Says the Eve Online PvP Fleet Commander

#3579 Ogami Itto

Ogami Itto

Your what hurts now?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

What the Fuck is this topic about now? I lost track a while ago.
Posted Image

#3580 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Game of Thrones: Genesis is $4.99 on Amazon right now and activates on Steam. Strangely, it was barely mentioned on the Amazon thread; only 2 or so posts referenced it. Does anybody have any opinions on it? I know it was poorly rated critically.

Sorry. I'm late on this but awful, terrible, avoid at all costs! I don't even know where to begin on this. It looks like something out of the 90s, has no discernable direct connection to the novels or show, is buggy as all hell, boring, has additional unnecessary DRM even though all versions of the game are Steamworks, etc etc. I really could go on with the bad points but I struggle to think of the good points.

By last count I have over 600 games in my Steam account and I would put this as my most regretted purchase.

Even at $5, STAY AWAY! Maybe if they pay you $5 then go for it. :-P

steam_sig.png

#3581 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hmmm, I finally got a TL2 Beta invite through my Runic account. Says it is tied to my account otherwise I'd give it away too.

So check your email if you still haven't gotten one. They say the beta weekend runs from today to Tuesday.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#3582 GoJays2025

GoJays2025

I like cake.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

Deus Ex: HR is $5.99 at GMG right now. It's a Steam key.
http://www.greenmang...man-revolution/

If you're going to sign up you can use my ref link so we both get $2 if you register and buy something. http://www.greenmang.../?gmgr=niyuxuqi :D
Get $2 after you spend $2 on Green Man Gaming by registering with my link. Thanks! :D

#3583 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Nice find. That's a killer price on Deus Ex HR.

I think I'm gonna grab GRAW2 before the sale switches today. The bundle is looking like overkill and I still haven't heard enough positive buzz about all the games to make it worth a purchase. I feel comfortable getting in the series with the most current game in the pack at a price of $2.49.

#3584 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

This looks quite interesting. Lots of Steam games.

http://www.becausewemay.com/index.html

It's kind of depressing seeing how many of those I already own from bundles and the like. :lol:

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#3585 kidkash03

kidkash03

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Just started getting into Steam with my internet finally becoming reliable enough to download digitally, so I've bought the 360 controller for PC (and xpadder if needed). Does anyone know if Batman: Arkham Asylum works with the 360 controller without having to map it with xpadder? Already played through it once on PS3, traded it off, and would like to play through it again. I might wait for a Steam sale on it though, since there's other games I've got my eyes on now with having Steam.

#3586 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

It's kind of depressing seeing how many of those I already own from bundles and the like. :lol:

Welcome to the club, I own all but these on the Steam list.

Vessel
Metal Drift
Stacking
Nyx Quest
Lugaru HD
Rush
Q.U.B.E.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#3587 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Just started getting into Steam with my internet finally becoming reliable enough to download digitally, so I've bought the 360 controller for PC (and xpadder if needed). Does anyone know if Batman: Arkham Asylum works with the 360 controller without having to map it with xpadder? Already played through it once on PS3, traded it off, and would like to play through it again. I might wait for a Steam sale on it though, since there's other games I've got my eyes on now with having Steam.

It works without xpadder. I think its a Games For Windows Live game though.

#3588 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Sorry if this was answered already, but I didn't see it when looking back. Has anyone received their free copy of Midnight Club 2 from Rockstar yer? If not have they said when we are suppose to get it? Thanks!

#3589 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

Sorry if this was answered already, but I didn't see it when looking back. Has anyone received their free copy of Midnight Club 2 from Rockstar yer? If not have they said when we are suppose to get it? Thanks!

They stated everyone would get their copy by the end of May. It's either the 28th or 29th when all copies are released.

New deals:

From Dust - 50% off - $7.49
Rayman: Origins - 50% off - $14.99
Shoot Many Robots - 50% off - $4.99

New daily:

Delve Deeper - 66% off - $1.69 (lowest price ever was $1.00, offered in a Steam indie bundle)
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#3590 EdgeZephyr

EdgeZephyr

Gear Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

If I recall correctly, they said we'd get our copies on May 29th. (Or something around that date)

Personally, I will probably jump at the sound of skeleton hooves and distant screaming for the rest of my life.

I think my wallet made a shrieking sound and scurried off into a dark corner, once I pulled up the Steam page.

Posted Image

#3591 mrsamsa

mrsamsa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Rayman origins is 50% off, 14.99$ today. If it is a game you want that's a great price.

#3592 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Arkham Asylum has been $7.50 or so multiple times. It seems to go on sale a lot on the Games for Windows marketplace (xbox.com), but Steam has had it cheap as well. Definitely wait for a sale since you've already played it.

If I were you I'd keep an eye on the Ubisoft sale this weekend. You might score some good 75% off titles. I'm not sure about their track record with gamepad support though. I would imagine it's there for most since they develop games for the consoles.

#3593 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Rayman origins is 50% off, 14.99$ today. If it is a game you want that's a great price.

From Dust and Shoot Many Robots are also 50% off today.

Delve Deeper is the daily at 66% off.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#3594 JanusDS

JanusDS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Why would you not wait? I'm willing to bet they'll have a splinter cell day where they're all 5-75% off...

Eh yeah, don't know why I wasn't thinking about that; but oh well, not too big of a loss and the GR deal was still nice.

And as for the other poster, yeah I just registered on this site and haven't really used Steam much until recently so not all that familiar with how they finagle their deals, but I'm definitely not a "noob" in terms of bargain hunting on games. :booty: Been putting in work on that since I was broke arse college kid about 15 years ago. :razz:

#3595 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

Arkham Asylum has been $7.50 or so multiple times. It seems to go on sale a lot on the Games for Windows marketplace (xbox.com), but Steam has had it cheap as well. Definitely wait for a sale since you've already played it.

If I were you I'd keep an eye on the Ubisoft sale this weekend. You might score some good 75% off titles. I'm not sure about their track record with gamepad support though. I would imagine it's there for most since they develop games for the consoles.

Posted Image

I bought it during the Holiday Sale, and I think this is the lowest it's ever been. It'll probably be the same price during the Summer Sale.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#3596 Echoes

Echoes

Farm roads ftw

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Rayman Origins for $15... I already beat it for the Xbox but dang, I want the PC version... Its a great price.

#3597 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Regarding the Ubisoft sale two things I'm wondering.

1) Does anyone think Rayman: Origins might go sub 50% and/or have the MSRP lowered by the time the summer sale rolls around?

2) How is Shoot Many Robots and what sort of DRM does it have? It seems like a candidate for an Indie bundle but I don't think Ubisoft has had any of their games in one yet.

steam_sig.png

#3598 solohunter

solohunter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

does shoot many robots have local coop on the pc?

#3599 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Call of Jaurez: The Cartel is $7.49 on GetGames and activates on Steam. A great game for anybody looking to lower the metacritic average of their game collection.

#3600 lito88

lito88

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

Was future soldier $45 yesterday or $49.99?