Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#3961 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:29 AM

Does anyone read Tompi Jones as saying that you basically ONLY get the game from now until it goes on sale on Desura? Sounds like you are just getting beta access essentially.

LOL its like getting kicked in the face.
What these Indie Face Kick guys need to do, is change their name, start over completely, act like bumbling but loveable idiots (groupees and indie gala) and call their bundle "Games you normally woudln't buy but WTF I want to build my Steam library"

#3962 thewasupkid

thewasupkid

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

@.@ that is where it takes me when I search max payne 3

#3963 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

Does anyone read Tompi Jones as saying that you basically ONLY get the game from now until it goes on sale on Desura? Sounds like you are just getting beta access essentially.

So I'm assuming that's the part of the bundle that feels like you're getting kicked in the face?

Edit: damn you, drabe...

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#3964 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:42 AM

I'm wondering about that too, Tompi Jones is the main game I'm interested in this bundle.

#3965 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:14 AM

I hadn't heard of Desura unitl clicking that link. Depth Hunter looks damn good for an indie game and I like the idea behind it, but now I have to deal with another client for half the games in the bundle? Any chance of steam keys later down the pipe? Or does anyone with experience with Desura know if you can simply link the exe in Steam like any other non-steam game, and skip the extra client?

Desura is fine. They support a lot of Indie games so if you plan on buying more Indie bundles in the future and especially if you end up buying from Indie Royale bundles (they are run by Desura) then it would probably be a good thing to keep around anyway. It's fairly unobtrusive as far as clients go even if it can be a bit obtuse to find certain options sometimes.

As for Indie games giving out Steam keys to past purchasers if they make it on Steam it has happened before and I think most Indie developers are generally willing to do that but of course there are no guarantees.

steam_sig.png

#3966 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:48 AM

I hadn't heard of Desura unitl clicking that link. Depth Hunter looks damn good for an indie game and I like the idea behind it, but now I have to deal with another client for half the games in the bundle? Any chance of steam keys later down the pipe? Or does anyone with experience with Desura know if you can simply link the exe in Steam like any other non-steam game, and skip the extra client?

Desura isn't bad as a second game client. They're really indie-focused, so a lot of bundles include Desura keys. I was on the fence at first, too, but IndieRoyale got me using it, and I've got a solid list of indies on there now. It's not quite as easy to navigate as Steam, but it's not bad. As Motoki said, if you plan on buying bundles, Desura is worth having.

logo.png

#3967 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

I wonder if I should buy Civ 5 GOTY for 12 digital right now... I prefer the dvd..but not paying 50 bucks for it. is the game worth it?

#3968 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:29 AM

It is what it is: a 'streamlined' version of the Civilization series. I'm sure there's a chance it can get cheaper during the summer sale but $12 for 90% of the content they've released for it so far is hard to beat. Note that they're coming out with a 'true expansion' in the next couple of days, though, so it sort of isn't really a 'GOTY' edition.

#3969 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

I wonder if I should buy Civ 5 GOTY for 12 digital right now... I prefer the dvd..but not paying 50 bucks for it. is the game worth it?

The DVD requires Steamworks, so you're going to be putting the code into Steam either way.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#3970 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

^ That, too. The only reason to buy a hard copy is if you want a pretty box to look at on your shelf.

#3971 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Yes. Have you played the series before? If not, Civ 5 is the best way to get introduced to the game.

As for "streamlined" - with the expansion coming in 4 weeks, religion and espionage will be back in the game, and frankly a much better system for each than Civ 4 Beyond the Sword offered. I didn't like Civ 5 when first released because of all the bugs. But they're ironed out now. Speaking as someone who has played each version since the first, this is the best Civ yet.

There are still some multiplayer issues though. :( The solo game is stellar.

Having the DVD would save you about 5 GB of downloading when you first install it. Up to you if that's important or not. Either way, you're playing on Steam, patching from Steam, matchmaking on Steam. The DVD is just a coaster for your drink, once you've registered the game.

#3972 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Has the Civ V expansion been put up for pre order yet anywhere?

steam_sig.png

#3973 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

cool..thanks for the input guys! I am going to get it........oh boy my wallet is gonna hurt more this summer from steam.

#3974 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Might have been more useful to post this earlier, but if you got in on the free Disciples II deal over at GreenManGaming, you can trade it in now for 5$.

That means you can get a Civ 5 steam key from them for 2.49$.

#3975 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Might have been more useful to post this earlier, but if you got in on the free Disciples II deal over at GreenManGaming, you can trade it in now for 5$.

Great, thanks for reminding me. Trade in went smooth.

#3976 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Has the Civ V expansion been put up for pre order yet anywhere?

Yes. I saw it at BestBuy.com, amazon.com. The release date is June 19 (North America), so it should be available on Steam soon, too. The Expansion is $30, by the way.

Might be worth waiting for the Steam Summer Sale, which should start just about a week after the expansion comes out. I'm sure it won't be hugely discounted, but maybe 25% off? That would be a nice bump for a brand new expansion.

That means you can get a Civ 5 steam key from them for 2.49$.

Thanks for the reminder. Green Man Gaming also has some (but not all) of the Civ 5 DLC, also at 75% off. I'm using my $5 credit to get the last of the DLC that I don't have. Such an awesome little deal.

For anyone interested, GMG has all the Civ 5 DLC except for the Korea pack. They have the four "cradle of civilization" maps for $0.73 each, but they don't have the four-map bundle of these that Steam offers for $2.49.

Also, because they don't have the Korea DLC, they don't have the combo-pack of Korea and Wonders of the Ancient World, although they do have the Wonders of the Ancient World as a stand-alone, without Korea.

Quite a hassle to sort all that out, but if you're looking for a way to use up your $5 GMG credit, this is a good way.

#3977 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

Daily Deal is Sky Drift 50% off $4.99. Any thoughts on this?

#3978 darjeeling

darjeeling

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Indie Gala V is live! (copypasta'd from another thread)

Pay at least $1 and get:
Making History: The Calm & the Storm (Steam)
Beat Hazard
Razor2: Hidden Skies (Steam)
Ironclads Collection (5 Games) (Steam

Pay at least $3.99 and also get:
Space Empires 4 Deluxe (Steam)
Battle Mages
World Rally Championship Racing
Bad Rats: Rats Revenge (Steam)

Pay at least $5.99 and also get:
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves (Steam)
Puzzle Kingdoms (Steam)
Ninja Blade
SBK X: Superbike World Championship

#3979 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

Bleh, only Puzzle Kingdoms mildly interests me. Sort of an odd mix in that bundle.

#3980 darjeeling

darjeeling

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

Agreed. I'd go for Puzzle Kingdoms, but otherwise I'll just go for the minimum.

Incidentally, the first gift I won during the Steam Holiday sale last year was a copy of Bad Rats: The Rats' Revenge, and you better believe I traded that for coal as quickly as I could.

#3981 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

Bleh, only Puzzle Kingdoms mildly interests me. Sort of an odd mix in that bundle.

You mean you don't want to add 7 games to your steam library that you will absolutely never touch for a mere dollar?

I'm kind of tempted to do just that. To be honest.

#3982 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hah. Nope, I'm anti-library clutter! Not much of a Steam 'collector.' I try to make sure anything I buy, no matter how cheap, I'm at least somewhat interested in playing. Already have enough games I'll never touch sitting there.

#3983 Neuropod

Neuropod

Because, anarchy.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Actually looks like a good mix of more obscure games to me, I'm just baffled why some of them don't have Steam keys (Beat Hazard and Ninja Blade are on there at least...) Ninja Blade is a pretty surprising choice. First time I think a full retail console game has been in an indie bundle. It was really fun on 360 imo, plus you can't go wrong with From Software.

Anyway, I don't mind tossing in $6, for what you get it's a great deal.
76561197996844513.png

#3984 Spyder187

Spyder187

Scratch & Sniff!

• Banned

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

Honestly, Ninja Blade for 6 bucks is actually a steal. Adding in titles like Beat hazard, Puzzle Kingdoms and some of the others is icing the cake.
Posted Image

i added a link to more wang pics.

#3985 Snowmaru

Snowmaru

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'd love to get this bundle for nothing but Ninja Blade, but it's not Steam? That makes no sense, it's a Steam game. Also not an indie game. I guess I'll pass like I do for every Indie Gala.

#3986 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hmmm, I'd be interested in an eventual happy hour buy...

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#3987 Zarski843

Zarski843

The artist formerly know as Lazer77

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

How is Red Orchestra 2? Is there any form of leveling system?

Zarski843.jpg

#3988 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

Tempted to pick this new bundle up but having so many Steam games not have Steam Keys is putting me off a little.

#3989 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

Hmmm, I'd be interested in an eventual happy hour buy...

This. It's hard to justify $6 even if it is a great value knowing it will be in a happy hour in a few days.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#3990 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

This. It's hard to justify $6 even if it is a great value knowing it will be in a happy hour in a few days.

Yeah, just don't come crying when it's revealed that Galapoints can be used on European sex slaves and you can't buy one because your points balance is so meager :lol:

logo.png