Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#811 evantrees

evantrees

rejection and peace tiramisu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

cheapest eve has been on steam with the coupon, it hit $2 once.
Or You can just start a 14 day free trial off the actual website, if you don't want a full starting month.

Spoiler

Edited by evantrees, 23 March 2012 - 12:31 AM.
eve coupon gone

#812 sublime90

sublime90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

is Hitman 2 worth checking out now? its a 10 year old game i wonder how it still holds up.
Posted Image
I was half cut, im not slippin man i slipped! - Max Payne

#813 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

...and only so-so in the 3rd. Deadly Shadows pandered to the console crowd, with smaller levels and easier missions.

Yeah, I really couldn't get into Thief 3 for those reasons.

#814 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

If anyone has an EVE coupon left, please PM me. I would like to buy the game.

Also on a different note, I have 3 Nuclear Dawn 3-day passes. PM me if you want one.

fs_overall.png

#815 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

Query: Does running the program through compatibility mode solve anything?

I can't speak to compatibility issues for this title; I played it on XP when it was new. But Looking Glass/Ion Storm is (sadly!) long gone. There are no updates, and will be no updates. The Steam forum for Thief has a lot of technical support questions going on.

But, generally speaking, compatibility mode options, and "run as administrator" options, are a mixed bag. For some games, like Mass Effect 1, they fix the little problem of needing to run as administrator. But beyond that, it's really not something you can count on.

GOG has Thief 1 and Thief 2 already; at some point I expect to see Deadly Shadows appear there, too. GOG ensures compatibility; it's really quite wonderful.

#816 Mikerrrr

Mikerrrr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:44 AM

I personally think Thief 3 is well worth $10. I haven't played the originals, but honestly, they haven't aged well graphically and were visually outdated at time of release anyway. It's true that if you can stomach the early 3D graphics, the old Thief games are better, but I thought Thief 3 was still great and more clever than 99% of games out there right now.

And yes, the Cradle is one of the best levels to grace any game, ever.

#817 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:58 AM

Real PC gamers still have Win XP available as a dual-boot option. 8-)

Ha. When Thief 1 was released, I had to buy a copy of Windows 98 and set up dual-boot on my Windows NT 4.0 computer. Thief 2 prompted me to buy my first graphics card, a Riva TNT2 32 MB. Deadly Shadows required a complete computer upgrade and another new graphics card; an ATI 9600 XT 128 MB.

No series has cost me more in upgrades than Thief. :-/

#818 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

Ha. When Thief 1 was released, I had to buy a copy of Windows 98 and set up dual-boot on my Windows NT 4.0 computer. Thief 2 prompted me to buy my first graphics card, a Riva TNT2 32 MB. Deadly Shadows required a complete computer upgrade and another new graphics card; an ATI 9600 XT 128 MB.

No series has cost me more in upgrades than Thief. :-/

So what you're saying is that it's time for a new, cutting-edge Thief game to come out to force you to buy the new GeForce GTX 680? ;)

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#819 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

Real PC gamers still have Win XP available as a dual-boot option. 8-)

While I do, I haven't had to touch it in a long time. There hasn't been much that doesn't run in Windows 7.
Posted Image

#820 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

Hitman Blood Money is one of the greatest games ever made.

#821 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

So what you're saying is that it's time for a new, cutting-edge Thief game to come out to force you to buy the new GeForce GTX 680? ;)

Thief 4! *Splooge*

If it ever comes out, it will definitely drag my hardware forward with it.

It's been "in the works" for about 2 years now. It's being made this time by Eidos-Montreal, the same fine folk that did the Deus Ex reboot. Thief and Deus Ex are both Warren Spector games, so ... perhaps that's a good sign. Although with games being what they are today, I don't think we'll see any levels as difficult or complicated as Down in the Bonehoard.

But one can hope!

#822 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Indie Royale Ninja LIghtning Pack

It's Ninja Bee games

On Steam are Ancients of Ooga and Cloning Clyde

Others are Kingdom for Keflings and Ancients of Ooga

http://www.indieroyale.com/

#823 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Band of Bugs has unlocked as a bonus in the lightning pack. Also not Steam redeemable.

Of the bunch, the only one that interests me at all is A Kingdom for Keflings, and it's not available on Steam. I believe I'm passing on this one.

#824 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Gamersgate has Darksiders for 5.00. 4.25 if you have the IGN discount. Steam redeemable.

#825 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Indie Royale Ninja LIghtning Pack

It's Ninja Bee games

On Steam are Ancients of Ooga and Cloning Clyde

Others are Kingdom for Keflings and Ancients of Ooga

http://www.indieroyale.com/

Dang, I thought I read that Keflings was a GFWL title, but nope... Otherwise I'd buy the pack just for that. (I already have it on XBLA.)

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#826 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Today's Square Enix deal is the Tomb Raider series at 75% off

Underworld - $4.99
Legend - $3.74
Anniversary - $2.49
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - $3.74
DLC for GoL - $0.86

The Deus Ex-themed Manno-Technology Bundle for TF2 is also discounted this weekend. Not sure how much or what the price is.

#827 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

Thoughts on the Tomb Raider games? I already have GoL, the other 3 worth picking up?

#828 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thoughts on the Tomb Raider games? I already have GoL, the other 3 worth picking up?

They're definitely worth picking up, I loved all 3. Make sure you disable DEP for Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary though, I've had issues with them crashing if they weren't added to the exclusion list.

#829 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

They're definitely worth picking up, I loved all 3. Make sure you disable DEP for Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary though, I've had issues with them crashing if they weren't added to the exclusion list.

Thanks for the tip! I bought em all

#830 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the tip! I bought em all

NP, since you own GoL would you happen to know if the DLC is worth picking up? I've been having fun playing the main game co-op with my friend but wasn't sure if the DLC would be worth buying for us both to play co-op.

#831 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

Today's Deal is The King's Quest Collection at 50% off ($9.99)

#832 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

NP, since you own GoL would you happen to know if the DLC is worth picking up? I've been having fun playing the main game co-op with my friend but wasn't sure if the DLC would be worth buying for us both to play co-op.

I can't help you there...I don't own any of them. Im not a big fan of challenge maps as DLC...if it added to the story I'd probably get it but....

#833 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

On the 360 they released a character pack and a challenge map for free. Neither made me want to buy the others. The map wasn't as fun as anything in the main game, but it's possible that others are better.

#834 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Today's Deal is The King's Quest Collection at 50% off ($9.99)

Sigh...I don't think its ever been lower than 9.99. I'd love to own these....but it would just be for nostalgia....at 4.99 it would be a no brainer for me...I can't see myself paying 9.99.

i say i wont buy it now, but it will haunt me all night....must ...resist.

#835 mkaliaz

mkaliaz

Scurvy Dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Random bit of info for you guys on the Tomb Raider games. If you are subscribed to Gamefly (or if you do a free trial), they just added a number of free Square-Enix games to their PC-download lineup that is included with any subscription. Among these new additions are the 3 most recent normal tomb raider games. There is no restrictions or extra cost for this as long as you have an active gamefly account.

#836 bubzers

bubzers

Derpy Derpy Doo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Sigh...I don't think its ever been lower than 9.99. I'd love to own these....but it would just be for nostalgia....at 4.99 it would be a no brainer for me...I can't see myself paying 9.99.

You could get the "enhanced" versions of Kings Quest 1-3 here for free: www.adginteractive.com/games/games.html
76561198025510545.png

#837 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

If it helps you resist at all they will not work on any 64 bit version of Windows (really? in 2012? Really Activision?) and possibly it may not even work on Windows Vista or 7 32 bit. There's a disclaimer that

"* Some games in this collection may run under Windows XP 64 and Vista 32/64, but are not officially supported"

You can tell they haven't updated squat for the game in years since they don't even mention Windows 7 and act like Vista support is some new fangled thing.

Supposedly there are patches and DOSbox files you can find around the net to get them to run, but why jump through those hoops? I'm also told that the GOG versions are setup to run on Vista/7 32/64 with no problem.

I was all set to buy this bundle myself and also get one to gift to my niece and nephew but if the publisher can't even be bothered to get it to work any version of Windows for that has been released in the last 5 years than to hell with them.

#838 gentlyporking

gentlyporking

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

If it helps you resist at all they will not work on any 64 bit version of Windows (really? in 2012? Really Activision?) and possibly it may not even work on Windows Vista or 7 32 bit. There's a disclaimer that

"* Some games in this collection may run under Windows XP 64 and Vista 32/64, but are not officially supported"

You can tell they haven't updated squat for the game in years since they don't even mention Windows 7 and act like Vista support is some new fangled thing.

Supposedly there are patches and DOSbox files you can find around the net to get them to run, but why jump through those hoops? I'm also told that the GOG versions are setup to run on Vista/7 32/64 with no problem.

I was all set to buy this bundle myself and also get one to gift to my niece and nephew but if the publisher can't even be bothered to get it to work any version of Windows for that has been released in the last 5 years than to hell with them.

Really? I got the Space Quest collection to work with my Windows 7 64-bit machine

#839 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Haven't played a Lara Croft game since the PSX days, not including a little time I spent with Anniversary. How are the more recent ones faring? I love Arkham City/Asylum and the Assassins Creed series. How do the Tomb Raiders stack up?

#840 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Really? I got the Space Quest collection to work with my Windows 7 64-bit machine

I'm just going off of what it says on the Steam page. There's a warning for Vista/7 uses to check the system requirements below and then it goes into those details. It may work now I don't know but honestly if they can't even be bothered to update the store page I don't want to risk it.