Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#991 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

I never look at the OP

#992 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

I never look at the OP

Nor do I

#993 Jackie Chandler

Jackie Chandler

Jamanandayo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

I hated Sonic 4 and not because of the physics but just because the music was atrocious and the level design boring.

And it's episodic in the way Shantae RR was: Short, mediocre, but not getting a sequel so not REALLY episodic.

Except Sonic 4 is getting a 'sequel' well after the fact.

Yeah, I read up a bit on it and just decided I'd pass. Especially after reading this:

http://www.sonicstad...onic-4-episode/

#994 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

I think that the thing about Steam sales is that most of them are are a day or two and they dominate the discussion during that brief time. It's easy for anyone, whether they're active in the thread or not, to just pop into the last page and see what's on sale and if it's any good. I think that, along with the fact that it's a daily thing to do, makes people like us who are active in the thread feel less motivated about it. It's not that the OP isn't valuable. I just don't think that the regulars in here use it because of the quick turnaround of Steam sales, and so we don't think to update it.

Sales on other services, like XBLA and PSN, are weekly and there are generally a lot more items. You can't just pop into the ends of those threads and see what's currently on sale and if they're any good. You generally have to look at the last few pages to see it all so the OP is much more important to those who don't keep up with it.

#995 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

I got King Arthur from the IGN Prime deal and haven't touched it yet.

Is any of the DLC particularly stand-out?

#996 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Pre-order to me means 'OMG I absolutely have to have it and play it the second it comes out and am completely sure I will love it to death'. I mean if you liked the previous game it's a somewhat safe bet, though not always guaranteed, that you will like the next in the series. However, the price will go down a fair bit in the first few months and a huge bit from 6 months on. With Steamworks games in particular you have a lot of buying options and lots of opportunities for sales.

Unless there is some pre-order bonus that you want and are afraid won't be made available post release or you simply can't wait then the best thing to do is not to pre-order IMO.

I'm used to pre-ordering console games online when it means getting $5-20 off, you always have the option of returning them to the store for a full refund. With these downloadable games I'm tempted by bonuses or a discount but I've decided it's just too risky since you have no return or resell options.

#997 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

I never look at the OP

Nor do I

I think that the thing about Steam sales is that most of them are are a day or two and they dominate the discussion during that brief time. It's easy for anyone, whether they're active in the thread or not, to just pop into the last page and see what's on sale and if it's any good. I think that, along with the fact that it's a daily thing to do, makes people like us who are active in the thread feel less motivated about it. It's not that the OP isn't valuable. I just don't think that the regulars in here use it because of the quick turnaround of Steam sales, and so we don't think to update it.

Sales on other services, like XBLA and PSN, are weekly and there are generally a lot more items. You can't just pop into the ends of those threads and see what's currently on sale and if they're any good. You generally have to look at the last few pages to see it all so the OP is much more important to those who don't keep up with it.

This is how I feel as well, which is why I feel that it's a little useless to update the OP. I still update it, but if everyone feels this way, and nobody actually uses it, then why take the time to update the OP? Not really a question to any individual, more of a rhetorical question towards how this thread operates.

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#998 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Haven't heard about this -- what's the issue with their security?

I'd like to know about this too. I've purchased from them in the past.

76561197996799113.png

#999 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

Man there are a lot more Luxor games than I realized.

#1000 thrinn

thrinn

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

This is how I feel as well, which is why I feel that it's a little useless to update the OP. I still update it, but if everyone feels this way, and nobody actually uses it, then why take the time to update the OP? Not really a question to any individual, more of a rhetorical question towards how this thread operates.

I initially check the first post rather than surf through all misc. conversation to find the latest deals. Thanks for your work on updating it.

#1001 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Well it is also the fact that you can update the OP and nobody may ever know something has changed. You post the changes to the thread and it bumps it back to the top of the forum indicating something new has happened. Once you look you can see the new deals right then and there.

But updating the OP is still good. Say you came to this thread late and the post containing the changes is one or two pages back. If you want to see them it would be easiest to check out the OP. I would say doing both, updating the OP and posting the changes, are worthwhile.

#1002 VindictiveGnome

VindictiveGnome

Cleared to engage.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Just bought EVE Crucible for $1.70. Guess I'll gift it to a friend or someone since I already own it.

#1003 Indignate

Indignate

☽Scinon☾

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

I never check the OP for the fact that it rarely ever gets updated (or at least it used to not get updated). I used to update it myself for a while, but like some have said, the length that these deals usually last doesn't make it worth it.

I just check Steam for what's on sale, and then come here to see the discussion.

#1004 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

I just check Steam for what's on sale, and then come here to see the discussion.

Ditto.

#1005 MHC

MHC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

Ditto.

Same here. The only time I see the OP is when the thread only has one page. Could be full of goatse as far as I'm concerned.

#1006 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

Same here. The only time I see the OP is when the thread only has one page. Could be full of goatse as far as I'm concerned.

This arranged can be

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#1007 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hmm.. picked up Sonic 4 yesterday, and will be picking up Luxor Evolved later. So far 3 out of 4 games I want have been at prices I wanted. (One being Sonic Generations at $7.49). Just need Street Fighter IV Arcade for $10 8-)

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#1008 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

I initially check the first post rather than surf through all misc. conversation to find the latest deals. Thanks for your work on updating it.

You're welcome. Really, I don't mind updating the OP, but I like to know that people are using it lol.

Well it is also the fact that you can update the OP and nobody may ever know something has changed. You post the changes to the thread and it bumps it back to the top of the forum indicating something new has happened. Once you look you can see the new deals right then and there.

But updating the OP is still good. Say you came to this thread late and the post containing the changes is one or two pages back. If you want to see them it would be easiest to check out the OP. I would say doing both, updating the OP and posting the changes, are worthwhile.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. It's definitely beneficial to have both. I personally feel like it's just easier to check the major sites themselves, something I do every day. =P

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#1009 Rerujnoc

Rerujnoc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

To help people out who do not know already there is a go to first new post since last time visited button to the left of thread title on the forum. It is poorly marked and easily missed. It makes keeping track of these large threads much easier.

#1010 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, I see what you're saying. It's definitely beneficial to have both. I personally feel like it's just easier to check the major sites themselves, something I do every day. =P

But doesn't that partially defeat the purpose of this website and especially the purpose of this forum? The reason this forum exists is because, at least I assume, people find it easier to have a one stop shop for all types of deals from various different sites or stores. Of course this site and this forum also contain and are for some discussion, but I would imagine the primary point of this forum is the deals being one place and updated frequently without having to actually go out and find them all on your own.

Now I'm not saying your wrong in any way for going to each site, I go to Steam before coming here but that is more so because I feel like coming here spoils the surprise of finding out the deal myself. I would also imagine "easier" is really up to the eye of the beholder.

To help people out who do not know already there is a go to first new post since last time visited button to the left of thread title on the forum. It is poorly marked and easily missed. It makes keeping track of these large threads much easier.

Although in terms of what we were talking about. There is a much larger and very noticeable button for getting to see the new deals and it is just to the right of the button you mentioned.

#1011 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'm on this on my iPhone most of the time, checking Steam is a hassle for me on there, the APP doesn't update the Dailys very quick.....just popping to the end of this thread typically tells me the deal, and even I get some opinions added to the mix.

Oh and a Faerie Solitaire key . I can't imagine someone doesnt have it yet but there's always one...post if you use it please.
CVVLX-M9YED-WH0HM

#1012 Neuropod

Neuropod

Because, anarchy.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

^I used it, thanks very much.
76561197996844513.png

#1013 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

^I used it, thanks very much.

You, you were that one person!

Maybe there is another?
2PBE0-KKX2X-DYHBK

#1014 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

Maybe there is another?
2PBE0-KKX2X-DYHBK

Thanks, I missed the first one but managed to get that one.

#1015 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Maybe there is another?
2PBE0-KKX2X-DYHBK

Already taken.

#1016 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

Already taken.

You still have a chance!

24BJM-IECLG-7X967

#1017 Correlli

Correlli

The guy with the small brain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

24BJM-IECLG-7X967

Taken! And thank you very much!

#1018 PenguinJim

PenguinJim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

Haven't heard about this -- what's the issue with their security?

From what I've been told from one of their staff, GMG are having "security issues" (their words) which are exposing them to fraud (the problem is definitely on GMG's end as if it were a Sagepay/Paypal issue, GMG wouldn't be liable for the fraud costs), and are blocking the regions where they are experiencing the most problems, including any legitimate customers who happen to be there. They also don't forewarn (or post-warn!) those areas - it's just bam! Entire access to website blocked.

I haven't been able to access my account for five months now. And if they'd fixed the problem then access would have been restored, so we know the issue still exists.

GMG should still be safe to use for Steam keys at least, but if they suddenly don't like your neighborhood and then Steam decides your key was from an illegitimate source (and GMG being in the UK, not the US makes this slightly more possible), then you don't have any recourse.

I'm not saying not to use them - they do sometimes have great deals that are probably worth the risk, like that FEAR 3 deal back in December. But ("luckily") these great deals seem to be few and far between, so it seems to make sense to spend the extra $0.30 or wait the extra week for Amazon or Gamersgate (or even Steam!) rather than take the risk on Greenmangaming right now.

(Also, it's probably a good idea to make sure your password at GMG is completely unique, and not to let them store any information about you.)

#1019 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

From what I've been told from one of their staff, GMG are having "security issues" (their words) which are exposing them to fraud (the problem is definitely on GMG's end as if it were a Sagepay/Paypal issue, GMG wouldn't be liable for the fraud costs), and are blocking the regions where they are experiencing the most problems, including any legitimate customers who happen to be there. They also don't forewarn (or post-warn!) those areas - it's just bam! Entire access to website blocked.

I haven't been able to access my account for five months now. And if they'd fixed the problem then access would have been restored, so we know the issue still exists.

GMG should still be safe to use for Steam keys at least, but if they suddenly don't like your neighborhood and then Steam decides your key was from an illegitimate source (and GMG being in the UK, not the US makes this slightly more possible), then you don't have any recourse.

I'm not saying not to use them - they do sometimes have great deals that are probably worth the risk, like that FEAR 3 deal back in December. But ("luckily") these great deals seem to be few and far between, so it seems to make sense to spend the extra $0.30 or wait the extra week for Amazon or Gamersgate (or even Steam!) rather than take the risk on Greenmangaming right now.

(Also, it's probably a good idea to make sure your password at GMG is completely unique, and not to let them store any information about you.)

I remember this I think, didn't they lock out Taiwan or something because they were having a lot of fraud coming from that area? My take on that was that they were being frauded ie:credit card fraud or the like and they just decided to ban the whole region. I never thought of it as they didnt have secure payment methods or the site wasn't secure...just that they were getting hit with constant chargebacks or stolen CC's

#1020 Lint21

Lint21

Probably Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:25 AM

Don't remember seeing this mentioned here:

Age Of Empires Online just came to Steam as Free To Play. They are running a special on a bundle that has all of the DLC for $17: http://store.steampo....com/sub/13943/.

I really enjoyed the game and will probably pick it back up now that it's on Steam. I paid $20 for one premium civilization through Microsoft - Steam is selling them for $5 each right now, without the bundle savings. I'm awfully tempted to get that bundle...