Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#1021 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:29 AM

Don't remember seeing this mentioned here:

Age Of Empires Online just came to Steam as Free To Play. They are running a special on a bundle that has all of the DLC for $17: http://store.steampo....com/sub/13943/.

I really enjoyed the game and will probably pick it back up now that it's on Steam. I paid $20 for one premium civilization through Microsoft - Steam is selling them for $5 each right now, without the bundle savings. I'm awfully tempted to get that bundle...

Fuck

If I would have waited, I would have made out Bank.

Paying only $16 for it though, is awesome. and through Steam... damnit, I'm almost tempted to rebuy it just cause it's in Steam.

#1022 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

Fuck

If I would have waited, I would have made out Bank.

Paying only $16 for it though, is awesome. and through Steam... damnit, I'm almost tempted to rebuy it just cause it's in Steam.

I wonder if I just buy the Greek one on Steam, if I can sign in to my account and have access to the other CIVs that I have.

Probably no way that Steam would force a different Auth server than one that MS has already.... hmmmmm

#1023 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

To help people out who do not know already there is a go to first new post since last time visited button to the left of thread title on the forum. It is poorly marked and easily missed. It makes keeping track of these large threads much easier.

Okay I'm the first to admit it. I've been reading Eastx's thread since inception, always doing it the hard way... going to the last page and working backwards. :dunce:

Thanks for this tip, backwards Conjurer!

As for the discussion of the value of the OP vs the deep thread, I read every post, and only read the OP if I get there accidentally. I suspect though that the OP serves a purpose for the unspoken visitors of this thread... the casual reader who simply can't visit this forum 1-5 times/day to keep up. They may not stop to say thank you, but there's probably quite a few visitors who benefit from your work, Severose.

I personally would prefer to see this thread die, and return to the exciting time when there was more than one single windows logo :pc: on the front page of the CAG deals forum at any point in time. This thread smacks of PC-gamer discrimination... we're all lumped in here so that more console deals can fit on the first page of CAG deals. :cry:

Anyone can see ALL the current deals on Steam with one click at steampowered.com, or in the client; that will always be more efficient than the OP of this thread.

I would miss the community that's sprung up here, though. I get a lot of good info from you guys. I know my opinion is a minority opinion. I just like to pine for the old days. :roll:

Edited by gcorlett, 28 March 2012 - 02:46 AM.

#1024 Outinthedark

Outinthedark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:42 AM

I wonder if I just buy the Greek one on Steam, if I can sign in to my account and have access to the other CIVs that I have.

Probably no way that Steam would force a different Auth server than one that MS has already.... hmmmmm

If you want to wait I'll be the guinney pig and try it with the Celts. I picked up the special "release day" or something like that bundle that had the two prem civs + def of crete booster for 1200 ms points. $5 per civ is great though. I wonder if the new patch rolled out then? Was waiting to get back into it after I completed the Greek civ and moved onto Persia/Egypt.

76561198014930049.png

#1025 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

If you want to wait I'll be the guinney pig and try it with the Celts. I picked up the special "release day" or something like that bundle that had the two prem civs + def of crete booster for 1200 ms points. $5 per civ is great though. I wonder if the new patch rolled out then? Was waiting to get back into it after I completed the Greek civ and moved onto Persia/Egypt.

I'm going to just test and download the Free to play and log in... with my Live account.

If it looks it up, it should grab all my others too. Once it registers, then maybe come back and pick up that final Greek one for $5 and get the best of both!

#1026 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:10 AM

I'm going to just test and download the Free to play and log in... with my Live account.

If it looks it up, it should grab all my others too. Once it registers, then maybe come back and pick up that final Greek one for $5 and get the best of both!

found this....

http://www.ageofempi...blog-20120326-1

Sweet!
Spoiler

#1027 Outinthedark

Outinthedark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

So basically what I just found out myself with the quick purchase. Worked for me with no issues at all. Quite smoothly in fact.

This update however is the best thing about it. Units themselves are finally unlocked without use of Tech points and propper drops finally.

I do wonder how the level cap for specific ages is going to work with the achievements though. My Egypt is now gold since they lowered the level from 20 to 15 I believe. This update has been like 2-3 months in the works. Also lol at two overlays while playing it on Steam :)

76561198014930049.png

#1028 yukonrye

yukonrye

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

I'd like to point out that the Defense of Crete Booster Pack and the Celtic Civ can be purchased together for $5. None of the other Civs have this combo deal. I guess it's because the Celts are new?
http://store.steampo....com/sub/13941/

#1029 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:06 AM

Okay I'm the first to admit it. I've been reading Eastx's thread since inception, always doing it the hard way... going to the last page and working backwards. :dunce:

Thanks for this tip, backwards Conjurer!

As for the discussion of the value of the OP vs the deep thread, I read every post, and only read the OP if I get there accidentally. I suspect though that the OP serves a purpose for the unspoken visitors of this thread... the casual reader who simply can't visit this forum 1-5 times/day to keep up. They may not stop to say thank you, but there's probably quite a few visitors who benefit from your work, Severose.

I personally would prefer to see this thread die, and return to the exciting time when there was more than one single windows logo :pc: on the front page of the CAG deals forum at any point in time. This thread smacks of PC-gamer discrimination... we're all lumped in here so that more console deals can fit on the first page of CAG deals. :cry:

Anyone can see ALL the current deals on Steam with one click at steampowered.com, or in the client; that will always be more efficient than the OP of this thread.

I would miss the community that's sprung up here, though. I get a lot of good info from you guys. I know my opinion is a minority opinion. I just like to pine for the old days. :roll:

Yeah, the fact that console gaming is the majority bugs me, but I understand because of the simplicity of putting a game in the console and knowing it'll work (regarding system specs, assuming that the system has no flaws to it). But yes, I do hate looking at the deals page and seeing a good 70% or more of it console-related, and I digress... =P

There is a definite advantage though, because the console gamers have to "thumb through", if you will, pages upon pages of various deals. We get all the deals here from all of those all-knowing CAGs. :grouphug:

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#1030 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

Yeah, the fact that console gaming is the majority bugs me, but I understand because of the simplicity of putting a game in the console and knowing it'll work (regarding system specs, assuming that the system has no flaws to it). But yes, I do hate looking at the deals page and seeing a good 70% or more of it console-related, and I digress... =P

Yeah and if we start to get threads other than this one showing up there are always complaints and remarks about how they don't play games on the PC (funny none of us go to their threads and make a point to state how we don't prefer to play on consoles) but god forbid anyone comments on their, ahem, technologically challenged hardware.

It's definitely biased but they also have a totally different mentality on things and are into flipping, returning, have to worry about shipping and are still clinging to physical media etc.

In a sense I almost consider this thread to be a forum of its own, a sort of walled garden, and that's fine by me.

I did try updating the OP at one point myself but gave up. It's just not practical to me to spend the time on it because I never use it. While I do check Steam to see what's on sale, the thread has been a good source for me to find out about getting games on Steam from non Valve sources and that sort of thing is difficult to otherwise find in one place.

#1031 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:43 AM

Your words cut me to the quick, GCorlett!

There are a few disadvantages to containing Steam deals to a single thread, but the benefits are far more substantial. Because so many Steam fans frequent this single thread, we actually have a chance to get to know and recognize each other, which I personally enjoy very much. It makes for some friendly, risk-free discussion, without threat of some dummy claiming that something's not a deal or old or whatever. Heck, we just plain don't get trolls in this thread. And there are so many Steam deals (especially nowadays) that creating a topic for every little thing would just clog up the main forum.

Also, the main forum does have a dedicated XBLA deals thread, a dedicated Steam one, an Amazon one, etc. This is really not much different.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1032 lito88

lito88

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:44 AM

Anyone still offering the EVE coupon?? I could use one.

#1033 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

Because so many Steam fans frequent this single thread, we actually have a chance to get to know and recognize each other, which I personally enjoy very much.

Entirely agreed. While I haven't been posting in this thread hardly at all since the winter sale, I still read the comments everyday.

And in regards to the discussion about the OP, I never check it. If I want to know about Steam sales, I check the Steam homepage. So if someone wants to beg off updating the OP, by all means.

#1034 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

I would hate individualized threads. I hardly ever check the main forum page; I just check my UserCP/subscriptions page.

By the way, those of you lucky enough to have a Microcenter in your area, there's a $15 coupon dealy going on, and they have hard copies of Dead Island (Steamworks) for $15 (i.e. free). Glad I held off buying.

Edited by dfg, 29 March 2012 - 12:29 AM.
c/e

¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#1035 pinkgun

pinkgun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days 75%OFF, if you have IGN Prime discount, it will be only $3.18. Steam redeemable
http://www.gamersgat...ynch-2-dog-days

#1036 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

I would hate individualized threads. I hardly ever check the main forum page, I just check my UserCP/subscriptions page.

This. CAG is wayyyyyyy too busy for me to keep track of, my subscriptions tab is the only place I use.

I like this thread a lot. I found CAG back in the Summer Sale '11 thanks to the Steam thread V.1, and I've stuck around for the discussion. I think I use it as much for the bargain bucket deals as I do for the comments on hidden gems, new realeases etc.

Some of the games I've enjoyed the most are the ones I wouldn't have touched without a CAG recommendation (King's Bounty, Binding of Isaac, Dungeon Defenders).

As for the OP, I don't check it, I just keep an eye on new posts since my last visit. But whenever people ask me about Steam I always send them to this thread first, including the front page. I'd love to know the breakdown of actual posters vs. lurkers, I suspect we have a lot who just come here to read what we say :)

<3 this thread.

#1037 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

Also, the main forum does have a dedicated XBLA deals thread, a dedicated Steam one, an Amazon one, etc. This is really not much different.

And those threads, I note, have updates both in the first post and as posts in the flow of the thread. So typically both are updated.
Posted Image

#1038 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

Starting my PC build next week guys, wish me luck. A couple quick questions though. I've got a wired 360 USB controller, can I use that on most games without any sort of adapter? And I know this is the Steam thread, but are GFWL games ever on sale like Steam games? I am hopelessly addicted to cheevos.

#1039 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

This is not a knock against Eastx, but in order for the OP to be effective the person making the OP needs to be someone who is able to update the TITLE of the thread on a regular basis. I just jump to the end of the thread and go backwards like a lot of others and see what's going on. If the title was updated to reflect the new deals (daily and otherwise) then I would be more likely to click the OP because I would know it was updated. As is, I just assume it's not updated and there's no point in clicking it.

#1040 Lint21

Lint21

Probably Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

Starting my PC build next week guys, wish me luck. .

Good luck!

A couple quick questions though. I've got a wired 360 USB controller, can I use that on most games without any sort of adapter? .

Yes. It has become the "standard" controller for PC games and many support it with no hassle at all. You can check games on Steam by looking for the "Controller enabled" icon/message on the right side of the store page for the game.

And I know this is the Steam thread, but are GFWL games ever on sale like Steam games? I am hopelessly addicted to cheevos.

Rarely, from what I've seen. They had a couple of killer deals way back when, like AoE3 for ten cents, but I haven't seen much from them in quite some time.

#1041 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

And I know this is the Steam thread, but are GFWL games ever on sale like Steam games? I am hopelessly addicted to cheevos.

Microsoft is sort of bipolar when it comes to PC gaming. At times, they take this incredibly vested interest, and other times it's like they forget that it's the PC that put them on the map. So, deals range from incredibly good (AoE3 for 10 cents, Viva Pinata for $1, etc.) to mediocre to nonexistent. They do have a "Deal of the Week", but they tend to be in the mediocre phase of their mood-swing. Crysis 2 is currently the deal for $30, which is roughly $10 more than it costs at Amazon.

#1042 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

I think the only time I bought something on GFWL with a sale was when they had the Bioshock 2 Minerva's Den DLC on sale for $5 and that was only because it's the only place you can get it and it does install onto the Steam version of the base game.

Like the others said, GFWL doesn't tend to have a lot of deals on the whole. I never really got the feeling it was a huge priority for Microsoft, more like 'Oh yeah, and we have PC games too'. Sort of like how the B&M stores technically have PC games but hardly anyone buys them there anymore and they don't really cater to that market much.

Microsoft even put AoE Online on Steam now so I think that they pretty much realize that Steam is the main destination for PC gaming online at this point and unlike EA I don't get the impression right now that they are really pushing to be this huge competitor to Steam.

#1043 monkeyz

monkeyz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

IF anyone wants I still have one Steam key for Faerie Solitaire I'm giving away for free to the first person to PMs me.

Also with all the discussion about checking or updating the OP, I don't either I usually read the last two or three pages to see what is going on because the people in here are really great in this thread so I thought I'd give back to some lucky fellow who wants a free game because, how awesome is that? :D

EDIT: Steam key for Faerie Solitaire is now gone :D

Edited by monkeyz, 28 March 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#1044 Flowette

Flowette

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

While I don't particularly aim for GFWL titles, I've picked up a few in the past that have had achievements (similar to the Xbox 360). Is this what you mean?

Fallout 3 has GFWL achievements, as does Warhammer Dawn of War 2 and I think one/both of the Batman Arkham games have them.

Confession: I like seeing the Xbox achievement pop up when I complete something, too :D

#1045 Flowette

Flowette

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Quick note on Faerie Solitaire:

It's my second-best-value-for-money game on Steam. I paid something like 87p for it and got about 11-12 hours gameplay from it. Wickedly addictive and great, casual fun :D Do what you can to get yourself a copy, you won't regret it.

#1046 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

Daily Deal

Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble! $3.39 66% off

#1047 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Daily Deal

It's a decent enough amusing diversion for the price, but it has been DOTD before and it irks me when they repeat games on DOTD because there are so many that have never been DOTD.

Then again, it saves me money not feeling compulsed to buy something because I already have it so I shouldn't complain. :-P

#1048 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

I disliked Dangerous High School Girls. It's so pointless and the stories are so fragmented. The "minigames" aren't any fun, also. Avoid.

#1049 Tenacious D

Tenacious D

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Daily Deal

Can anyone recommend or deter me from buying this? This has been in my wishlist for quite a while now and this is the cheapest I've seen it, even during the holiday sales.

*Edit* I see two opinions above say to avoid it. So, I guess I'll save my money. :)

Edited by Tenacious D, 28 March 2012 - 05:14 PM.
above replies

#1050 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

I disliked Dangerous High School Girls. It's so pointless and the stories are so fragmented. The "minigames" aren't any fun, also. Avoid.

I trust you, skipping